fierylevi

Tables - Improvements

Idea

This request is around improving how tables are created, modified, added to, viewed, etc.
In the web UI, you are only allowed to make a table of maximum size 6x6 and unable to make it larger AND also unable to delete any columns/rows. Only on the desktop client is one able to add and delete columns/rows to/from the table. Deleting is possible, but only an "all or nothing" type delete, where the entire table is deleted. This is unacceptable. Please take a look at how Dropbox Paper does tables. Simply amazing. Please steal that... please. 
Also, one is unable to resize the columns and rows in the web UI. Again, please fix this.
Also, the cells have a rather larger buffer (padding) between the cell divider and the text (in both web and desktop). This becomes a lot of wasted space in notes that contain tables with many rows and columns. 

I am sure I am missing other things with how tables should work. I am not sure if any of this has been brought up before, but I thought I would express my grief with this specific aspect of Evernote. 

• Like 1

23 replies to this idea

1 hour ago, fierylevi said:

I am not sure if any of this has been brought up before

Yes, at least some of them have, and one thing that's good to do is to search the forums or the web; Google will find forum discussions as well) to find where similar feature requests have been made, and add your comments there, and your upvote them if they're feature requests.

1 hour ago, jefito said:

Yes, at least some of them have, and one thing that's good to do is to search the forums or the web; Google will find forum discussions as well) to find where similar feature requests have been made, and add your comments there, and your upvote them if they're feature requests.

Good call on the google search. Using the search in forums did not return anything I found relevant (search term used was "table"). 
I found just a handful with the google search "evernote forum tables" all on page 1. 

And we have barely heard anything from EN this year beside the epic move to google cloud (which was actually Q4 2016). I honestly hope long standing issues (like tables) are being worked on.

6 hours ago, fierylevi said:

And we have barely heard anything from EN this year beside the epic move to google cloud (which was actually Q4 2016). I honestly hope long standing issues (like tables) are being worked on.

I don't know what you're listening to, but I've seen a pretty good stream of new features while following the Windows betas...

9 hours ago, jefito said:

I don't know what you're listening to, but I've seen a pretty good stream of new features while following the Windows betas...

I am curious as to what steam of new features you are referring to? From what I am able to see in the Windows section of the forum, I see a 6.3 Beta 1 released in August of 2016 and a 6.5 Beta 2 released in February of 2017. Maybe you definition of stream is different than mine?

I'm currently using 6.6.2.5173 Prelease on my Win10 (1703) 64-bit laptop.

Tables have been an important feature in my note keeping.  

Up until now, Evernote's tables, as with the formatting of notes generally has been quite primitive and quirky, but mostly useable.

After installing recent updates, however, I found the outlines and table attributes stripped from my large tables. Selecting the blocks shows outlines are still there somehow, but I am unable to use them or edit them as tables.

Since that data is historical, needing to edit existing table contents should not be a big issue.

So, to continue adding, I inserted a new table below.  

That worked fine until I found I could not insert new rows below. The function is there, in the right-click menu.  I just does not do anything.

So, I decided to insert another new table below. When I did that, the rest of the note disappeared.

Fortunately, Ctrl+Z worked! and restored my data. 

Many times, in EN, Ctrl+Z does not work, but this time it did. Thank Goodness.

Anyhow, I applaud any attempt to improve EN as an editor and to enhance the tables function, but I am very worried if changes are not backward compatible with existing notes.

I wonder if reverting to an older version of EN would restore my tables and previous editing capabilities?

4 hours ago, allendick said:

I wonder if reverting to an older version of EN would restore my tables and previous editing capabilities?

It should, you may have to "fix" any tables viewed/edited in 6.6.2.

How do I find an older version?  I find this version un-usable and don't see older versions anywhere on the Evernote site.

Long ago, EN used to keep old setups in a folder on my computer, but currently I don't see any way to revert, and I am going to have to.

Try searching for filehippo evernote on the web. 

11 minutes ago, allendick said:

How do I find an older version?

On the Win/Mac platforms, release notes are posted in the forums with a link to the download 
I search for the version I want to download

>Try searching for filehippo evernote on the web. 

Thanks.  I see a list of potential versions, but I have no idea at which version Evernote tables went off the rails, though. I'm just an Evernote user, and not normally at all interested in such matters.

Does anyone know where the trouble began?  I never know what version I am using or which I just replaced until I have to find out at a time like this.

I also wonder how these changes could be released without anyone knowing the havoc they would cause with existing notes.Am I the only one who is observing this?  There must be others.

On the Win/Mac platforms, release notes are posted in the forums with a link to the download 
I search for the version I want to download

Thanks.  I have no idea what that means and the link did not take me anywhere I could see what I need. 

I'm just a longtime user, not someone who wants to ever have write in forums about Evernote.

Coming here in hopes of restoring a function I relied on to where my historical notes are not distorted is just an act of desperation and not something I have much time for.

I am noticing a general trend in software to over-improve a working product that has been simple, straightforward and useful  to where it becomes problematic to its core user base.

30 minutes ago, allendick said:

Thanks.  I have no idea what that means and the link did not take me anywhere I could see what I need. 

You asked "How do I find an older version?"
My post was an example of how to download an Evernote version.

I wanted to download version 6.6 Beta 2
I searched the forum for the Release Notes
I click on "download here" and download the version

OK. Thanks. That would help if I knew which version brought on the problems and what I was using before, but I don't see a list of versions in order anywhere with changes shown for each.  That would make it easy to go back.  Maybe.

I have no idea which version I was using before Evernote wrecked my tables.

5 hours ago, allendick said:

Thanks.  I see a list of potential versions, but I have no idea at which version Evernote tables went off the rails, though. I'm just an Evernote user, and not normally at all interested in such matters.

I would try the current release shown there, Evernote 6.5.4.4720.  The new table functionality is in the 6.6 Beta.  Also, though, there have been changes made to the IOS editor that are borking table formats as well.  So if you have been making any table edits on IOS that may/may not be part of the issue.

Thanks.  As mentioned previously...

I'm currently using 6.6.2.5173 Prelease on my Win10 (1703) 64-bit laptop.

That is no longer the case. I downloaded version 5.9.9.9915 and installed it.  

In the process I had to uninstall the newer version and, believe it or not, it took my database with it as far as I can tell and my data had to synced again.  Oh, well.

Anyhow I have a version that works acceptably and will avoid upgrades in the future.

I really don't have time to play with software.

I need software that does not surprise me by sending me untested upgrades that are not backward compatible with my existing data and does not convert automatically to the current format.

1 hour ago, allendick said:

I need software that does not surprise me by sending me untested upgrades that are not backward compatible with my existing data and does not convert automatically to the current format.

You already have it, go to Tools - Options - General and uncheck Enable beta features and updates.

Personally I keep control of software upgrades and only install after I've reviewed the changes

I find it easier to assume the database version and software version have to match.  Sometimes I can get away with just replacing the software but in many cases I have to re-download the database.  This is often the case when downgrading to an earlier software version

9 minutes ago, csihilling said:

You already have it, go to Tools - Options - General and uncheck Enable beta features and updates.

The problem version is the current release, not beta although perhaps it should be beta.

That is no longer the case. I downloaded version 5.9.9.9915 and installed it.

Don't know what that is.  6.5.4.4720 is the current release.  6.6.2 is a prerelease, not a general availability release.  And this prerelease has been in play a while which I think speaks to some of the fixes that are being made.  We are talking Windows here right?

It appears you are right.  Evernote_6.5.4.4720.exe is the version offered for download on the website.

I don't recall how I wound up with the beta, but it changed any tables I viewed while it was installed. I can edit the old tables now,after reverting, but the cell outlines disappeared.

Yes, Windows. Never had a problem this bad before.

Anyhow I am able to use tables again and should watch out |I don't enable betas.  Frankly, IMO, they should probably carry a warning -- in red.

16 hours ago, allendick said:

Frankly, IMO, they should probably carry a warning -- in red.

Typically does in most folks minds, if ever there were a buyer beware....   ;)

I have had some of the same table chaos as you with 6.6, particularly older tables for whatever reason (I've used a phone template table for some time now).  And some formatting issues introduced after modifying tables using 8.2.2 on my iDevices. 

Anyhow, it's all good now -- at least as good as it was before -- thanks to the folks in this forum. 

Also, just now I have another reason to be thankful.  I discovered minutes ago that the graphics had somehow disappeared from a project page I was working on (probably my goof) and was able to quickly import a previous version with them intact.

Evernote has it s frustrations, but there are plenty of good points, too.

I'd really love to see a full featured word processor-like editor, though.  I guess these betas with table changes are the beginning.  Legacy notes may be an issue though, as I found out.

• Like 1