no support for firefox ESR ;-(

giessle

Idea

10 replies to this idea

On 5/2/2017 at 9:44 AM, giessle said:

Hi, I'm a bit disappointed, that the firefox esr versions (firefox long-term-support versions, actual version: 45.9.0) are not supported by Web Clipper.

On 5/3/2017 at 5:28 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  How do you mean 'not supported'?  I use Firefox - currently 53.0 - and Clipper without any specific issues...

The ESR version is mandated by many corporations that control the configuration on our company issued laptops.   45.9.0 is the most current ESR version.   I too would love to be able to use Web Clipper on my work firefox browser. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  OK - I read up on ESR a bit.  Didn't even know it was a thing.  Don't know if Evernote is looking at this - they get Clipper approved by Mozilla,  so presumably they'd expect that an approved build is available to all Firefox users.  Can anyone explain exactly what happens to make clipper 'unsupported'?  Do you get access to Firefox extensions at all?  Can you install Clipper but not log in?

It was working about a month ago on the ESR version.  It disappeared.  What I don't know is if ESR updated or Clipper updated but now they ate "incompatible"  FYI,  it had been working with ESR for at least the last 2 years.

Add ons / extensions are available for ESR.  If you search for Evernote inside this browser nothing comes up that you can install.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Best we can hope for is that Evernote is aware of the situation and other ESR users will click the vote button at the top left of the page to give this request some urgency.

Found a fix!   Go here and download Clipper version 6.2

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/versions/

I tried clipper 6.9.3 as suggested above but that is for firefox 49+  and ESR is at 45 now so it didn't work for me.  

Once it is downloaded go into firefox add-ons and you have to enable that version.  It installs "disabled".   You might also have to restart your browse.   Glad to be back in business again.  Not sure how the add-on got "upgraded" in the first place, so pay attention  if you get an upgrade prompts later.    You might need to refuse it.  You can go back to the above website when ESR upgrades to find out if there is a more current version you can use.   Happy Clipping!

Thanks for your idea - unfortunately I just tried it and my firefox was too recent.  So I tried the 6.9.3 and it still does not work.  When I watch the video on the evernote site, it shows the web clipper having options like it used to.  Now all I get is a white note pad coming down where I can drag notes - which also does not work.  All of the adding tags, saving url, etc are gone.  I don't understand what happened.  Any other suggestions are appreciated.  My firefox is 53.0.  I've had web clipper for years and now it suddenly won't work.

Thanks!

Do you have the ability to change your Firefox level?  Either upgrade Firefox to current level or go to the ESR 45 level and install clipper 6.2.    The 6.2 supports the various clippings and saving of url.  I am not a power user so unfamiliar with dragging notes in via browser.  If there is something I can test for you glad to try it with my setup.

Archived