Mobile-friendly data entry via Evernote

I want to use Evernote as a base to store all my purchase transactions. I have explored the following ways so far:

1. Standard table created in evernote - very clumsy, difficult to create new rows/columns/resize etc and cannot handle large datasets (more than 1000 entries for example)

2. Attachment as Excel/CSV - extra click to open Excel, and not mobile-friendly

3. Google Forms - mobile-friendly but requires online connection to submit entry

4. Launchcloud - Needs paid subscription to enable full search / CSV entries (don't like being tied down to plans)

What is the best solution that can work across different platforms for such a task? Closest is Google Forms but will need to update Excel file embedded within Evernote note.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Titus said:

What is the best solution that can work across different platforms for such a task? Closest is Google Forms but will need to update Excel file embedded within Evernote note.

Which platforms? Win/Mac/IOS ...

My process is to input each transaction as a separate note
59074b641c7a5_ScreenShot2017-05-01at7_50_47AM.png.918510a02e1daa2d8eabd27e40bf60e0.png

• I use a set standard for title:  yyyy/mm/dd <vendor> <description> $nnn.nn
  • I attach additional data to the note, such as receipt scan etc.
  • I do Evernote stuff like tags, cross-link notes, search etc

When required, I run a script on my Mac that imports the transactions into an Excel spreadsheet
59074957b3d38_ScreenShot2017-05-01at7_41_14AM.png.32dfdd5d59b1723fefeb044abfb90890.png

• Level 5*

At the risk of having my guru licence revoked,  I'd use a third-party app AirTable - it's a simple  programmable,  relational database with support for mobile devices and desktops.  If it doesn't sound too contradictory,  it's based on a spreadsheet layout so you can use formulae to produce reports,  has a forms input option so you can capture data quickly and easily,  and also allows collaboration - other people can be allowed to see reports / complete inputs.  The majority of the features are available in the free version,  though like Evernote I'm probably going to contribute to this one because I think it's a keeper.

You do need some elementary database and design skills,  but once set up it should be easy to use.  There are lots of preconfigured templates from other users which might help.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Titus said:

I want to use Evernote as a base to store all my purchase transactions. I have explored the following ways so far:

1. Standard table created in evernote - very clumsy, difficult to create new rows/columns/resize etc and cannot handle large datasets (more than 1000 entries for example)

2. Attachment as Excel/CSV - extra click to open Excel, and not mobile-friendly

3. Google Forms - mobile-friendly but requires online connection to submit entry

4. Launchcloud - Needs paid subscription to enable full search / CSV entries (don't like being tied down to plans)

What do you want to do with the information once you've loaded it?  Might point to one solution or another.

8 hours ago, csihilling said:

What do you want to do with the information once you've loaded it?  Might point to one solution or another.

This part points to why I'd prefer it to be in Excel format. Some of the things I'd like to do:

- Analyze price of a given item over time / Churn out price history (like camelx3)

- Easily know when to replenish perishables (e.g. milk powder) 

- Analyze expenditure by category

I'm using Windows + Android (S7) + iOS (iPad Air 2 + iPhone 7+), but importance is placed on Win + Android. 

@DTLow what are you using to script it in Mac? Is there an equivalent in Windows?

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Titus said:

what are you using to script it in Mac? Is there an equivalent in Windows?

Applescript is built into Evernote/Mac

Hopefully, a Windows user can provide you an answer; I don't have the equipment for testing a solution 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Your Windows options are either visual basic - used to script interactions in MSOffice - and /or ENScript to drive Evernote.  I'd mention again though that AirTable has a spreadsheet base and can import from / export to CSV files,  which are compatible with Excel;  but most analysis I think you could carry out in AirTable.  It seems ideal for analysing data in the way you describe - although I think an automatic prompt to buy perishables might be pushing it a bit far...

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Titus said:

This part points to why I'd prefer it to be in Excel format. Some of the things I'd like to do:

- Analyze price of a given item over time / Churn out price history (like camelx3)

- Easily know when to replenish perishables (e.g. milk powder) 

- Analyze expenditure by category

Unfortunately you can't do any arithmetic at all in EN.  Excel, or more likely Google Docs, would be my choice for the above.  Though I admittedly have not used Google docs all that much;  I believe it is accessible on all of the platforms mentioned.  

One could potentially use EN as a store for the actual receipts.  You can link to EN notes from an Excel cell, enables viewing the receipt.  Two step process, add the receipts to EN and then transcribe into the model of your choice.  FWIW.

Archived