Protect users from the Delete Key

DaveScotese

Idea

If a note is selected and you hit the delete key, it disappears without no warning or even any indication.  It's like losing a finger!

There are several solutions and I'm very surprised that I couldn't find any of them:

1. When the delete key is pressed and Evernote is about to delete a note, use a message box to ask the user for confirmation.
  2. Once a note has been deleted, just keep it hidden for a while, and throw up a message box that say so: "You note is now in the deleted notebook, which can be accessed only from the ___ menu.
  3. Make the Undo menu item UNDelete a note that was just deleted..
  4. Add "Restore Deleted Note" to the Edit menu.

I will be happy if I see that this change has been made.  I will be even happier if you check out and share chose.community, a website I recently made in my effort to make the world a better place.  Evernote is already a part of "CHOSEN" I would provide a link, but I refuse to be a spammer.

12 replies to this idea

The trash can is at the bottom of the list of notebooks.  So, for idiots such as myself, I request a really simple feature which is this:

When the Undo menu item has nothing to do, have it pop up a message box that says: "There is nothing to undo, but you may want to check the trash can at the bottom of your list of notebooks or..." and then list any other places a person might need to go to undo something that the undo button doesn't handle.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I've deleted things unwisely too,  but once you know that deleted notebooks send all their notes directly to the Trash notebook,  and deleting individual notes does the same,  you can either recreate a notebook and block select / restore or individually restore single notes to their original notebook.  The Trash notebook is your safety net unless and until you then clear out the trash - permanently expunging (deleting) the notes - which is advisable every month or so,  just to keep your database tidy.

It also gets you this warning,  which seems pretty explicit...

590478ba9e874_ScreenClip6.png.feca45e281142d74dd0e93bb7d88af43.png

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, DaveScotese said:

I will be even happier if you check out and share chose.community, a website I recently made in my effort to make the world a better place.  Evernote is already a part of "CHOSEN" I would provide a link, but I refuse to be a spammer.

Umm, yeah, this pretty much constitutes spam, link or no link.

10 hours ago, tavor said:

Umm, yeah, this pretty much constitutes spam, link or no link.

Good spam, do you think?  Or should people not bother you about their efforts to make our world better?  If anyone has an opinion either way, I'm interested.  I always enjoy reading about others' efforts, and appreciate the social risks they take to inform me.

• Level 5*

I'd call it passive-aggressive spam: "I would provide a link, but I refuse to be a spammer.", but in the same sentence wherein you've already named the web site, so it seems like a distinction without a difference...

Anyways, just put it into your signature, if you feel that strongly about it...

5 hours ago, jefito said:

I'd call it passive-aggressive spam: "I would provide a link, but I refuse to be a spammer.", but in the same sentence wherein you've already named the web site, so it seems like a distinction without a difference...

Anyways, just put it into your signature, if you feel that strongly about it...

I love that idea.  It will encourage me to post more too.  I can't find where I can set my signature though.  Maybe my account isn't old enough?

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, DaveScotese said:

I love that idea.  It will encourage me to post more too.  I can't find where I can set my signature though.  Maybe my account isn't old enough?

Should be in the Account Settings; go to your account page, click on the link with your name at the top right of the page, select Account Settings...

That doesn't work until something changes, and it hasn't yet changes. It might be reputation, age, number of posts, or number of replies.  I can't find that information anywhere, but I'm certain that my account settings page doesn't have the Signature option.

• Level 5*

It used to be (maybe still is) the case that you needed a certain number of posts to change your display name - maybe the same applies to signatures.  This is what I see -

59073dd294757_ScreenClip4.png.c21d0043d1f2ac673ebe7e3d7372ad22.png

Maybe just keep checking...  ;)

Edit:  Made me notice I became a Guru Guru sometime.  Don't recall changing from Operative,  but hey - I fixed it anyway.  Thanks for making me look! :)

• Level 5*

<sigh> OK that changed my 'other' screen name...

original: 590741b9a7b17_ScreenClip5.png.8f331b684b1f8d65372489d28ddd8117.png changed to 590741f58287e_ScreenClip6.png.07b722e83043a8d095eb15eed6c2e679.png and now we're back at 590742dae4fec_ScreenClip7.png.5126a52dece3a0da3e7f68d1c06ea00d.png

I forgot that titles were abolished abolished a while ago.  Guess I'll have to be comfortable in my guruhood....  going to stop messing around now.  :blush:

Archived