Evernote for Mac 6.11.1 Beta 1

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi folks,

Today we're announcing Evernote for Mac, version 6.11.1 Beta 1. You can download it here.

We've addressed a number of issues related to note editing. If notes containing web clips, emails, tables or other content were affected by 6.11 in a way that made them look incorrect, they should look correct. Please do note - if you edited any of those notes, the incorrect formatting/layout might have been saved to the database, and you will have to recover with note history.

As always we appreciate your help in verifying these changes, so please let us know if you spot any issues. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac Team

--------------

Evernote for Mac 6.11.1

We've fixed several issues people were having with notes:
- Some notes created in Evernote for Mac would not render after sync
- Some tables lost formatting after updating Evernote to 6.11
- Pasting a line of text would add an additional line break
- Some full width dividers from other clients were not shown as full width
- Some pasted content were missing styles

56 replies to this idea

Hi!  How can I recover my missing note after I synced?  I typed/wrote on my iPhone on a same-titled note and opened my Macbook, synced then the note on the Mac (which is not the most updated) showed up and I lost my latest note I've just written on my phone.

Hope you can help me recover it.  Thanks

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:
On 5/1/2017 at 10:09 AM, nicolml said:

That's by design. Restoring a note from Note History will not restore the tag. 

EDIT:  2017-05-02  4:22 PM CT -- Correction

• I misspoke when I said "Note History".
  • I meant EN Trash.

I have corrected my error in the above post.

On 5/2/2017 at 4:35 PM, Metrodon said:

Copy a simple table from one note to another - watch the formatting break....

My Tables might be too simple (not enough or the right kind of formatting) - could you provide a screen shot or ENEX for me to take to Dev to review the issue?

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

My Tables might be too simple (not enough or the right kind of formatting) - could you provide a screen shot or ENEX for me to take to Dev to review the issue?

Here's a screenshot and a .enex - seems to happen when the cell background colour is changed

Table.enex

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 09.39.07.png

Evernote 6.11 today was suddenly having formatting problems when I copied all of an email in MAIL and pasted it into Evernote.

I now have 6.11.1  Beta 1 and this has solved most of the problems. But I still have to move the cursor around until a 4 way arrow cursor appears and then drag to expand the column that is too narrow. Previously I never needed to do any of this. So the beta version does solve most of the problems I was having but also it is not transparent in the way it works. 

If you need more exact info, I have documented the old and the new.

Ian Underwood

On 5/5/2017 at 2:05 AM, michael_c said:

I was reading some time ago that the problem with Preview annotation would be solved in a coming beta release. However it's not yet solved....any idea when/if it will be solved..!?

This might be related to the PDF Preview issue. While using annotation mode, I'm seeing the PDF go white or at least a big portion of it will blank out behind the area I'm adding and moving an annotation.  Specifically, I'm adding text annotations to a PDF document.  If I wait or click around to other pages of the PDF, it eventually comes back.

Here are some repro steps:

1) Open and annotate a PDF multi-page document using the text tool.

2) Save it.

3) Open it again.

4) Move the annotated text around the screen. If this doesn't cause it to blank out, move to the next page in the multi-page form and then go back and move the text around again.  

The background started flashing for me and eventually, it went white and text and images that were part of the PDF disappeared while I was moving the annotated text. 

https://cl.ly/3o071m0q2M3h

My problem is not with formating but with the fact that I can not "edit" PDF without saving it again in the finder and re-import it in Evernote. I was a HUGE fan of evernote, but the lag of responsiveness in fixing such things start to be disappointing...to say the least..

2 hours ago, michael_c said:

My problem is not with formating but with the fact that I can not "edit" PDF without saving it again in the finder and re-import it in Evernote. I was a HUGE fan of evernote, but the lag of responsiveness in fixing such things start to be disappointing...to say the least..

We're currently aware of this issue. There have been some changes to macOS in relation to how PDF files are handled, and this is what is causing the issue with saving PDFs back into Evernote. There's some good information in this link: http://tidbits.com/article/16966

We're monitoring this issue along with changes to macOS to ensure we can restore this functionality. 

1 hour ago, doonyakka said:

I've come across a certain kind of HTML email won't clip. Instead, I get a blank note with the subject line as the note title. I'll submit an ENEX through the support system.

Thanks for submitting the ENEX through the support folks they will get it to the editor team to check it out 

2 hours ago, macfixer said:

I am still getting notes that won't render after a sync with 6.11.1:
Evernote_Glitch.png.dbaafffc6233234db07f345930b9aa82.png

Sorry to hear that, we have a couple more fixes coming with the final 6.11.1 release - if possible could I have your ENEX for testing and show Dev?  (or do you wish for the final 6.11.1 build first) - ETA is soon, not sure how soon. 

• Level 5*

Did it put a copy in Note Conflicts (so some notebook with that type of name - don't recall exactly)

it would only be on the Mac. I don't think note conflicts show up on iOS devices. 

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, JP Adena said:

Hi!  How can I recover my missing note after I synced?

Hi.  Sorry for your lost data.  However, this is a BETA thread, not really the best place for you to post this question.

For lost data, I'd suggest you contact Evernote directly, via a Support Request. See Submit Support Ticket 

They keep changing the support process/forms, and it can be confusing.  Be sure you select "Lost notes of missing content" in the below form:

2017-05-13_20-26-22.png.7713f1f354238be7c9d92e41ff98e572.png

On 4/29/2017 at 7:37 AM, doonyakka said:

Very relieved that this has finally been released, and I can start working through my backlog of hundreds of unclipped emails! However, I'm still seeing some table rendering issues with certain emails clipped in Postbox.

Here's an example of what part of an email looks like:

screenshot.png.0002dca5e7f4bae777eea0d8851000af.png

And this is what I see if I clip it:

screenshot.png.e7454f82469b159fd8c61a38e0e711d1.png

Happy to submit the ENEX through the support system, if needed.

Were you able to provide an ENEX file for this note? If you're comfortable posting it here, you can do that too.

On 5/7/2017 at 9:58 PM, Mike Figueroa said:

This beta fixed many of the formatting issues. It also allows tables copied from MS Word to retain their formatting when pasted into a note.

It's unbelievable to me that these problems made it to a production release. As soon as 6.11 messed up all my notes, I spent several disappointing hours deciding on OneNote as a replacement and setting it up with all my Evernote content. I mean, 6.11 is just another sign of the lack of attention Evernote developers seem to have these days. Evernote for Mac is a buggy mess and has been for a long time. This beta saved you a paying customer for now, but you guys need to listen to what your customers are telling you and put some serious development time into this app.

Thanks for updating us @Mike Figueroa -- I explained some of the reasons for bugs in your other thread about this issue. There is a natural tension between allowing externally pasted content to retain its formatting and making a rich text editor that behaves in a deterministic way. Since there can be endless permutations of HTML tags, structures, styles, hierarchies, relationships, etc in the external content, the text editing experience will start to degrade as the complexity of the HTML increases. We are working on advanced ways of allowing the widest variety of content to be pulled into Evernote, while at the same time making the editor behave in more productive and predictable ways. I understand that the 6.11 release had rendering issues that substantially altered the appearance of some notes, but the those rendering changes were part of a larger effort to improve the editing experience of those notes. We definitely did not want to see notes visually altered, and have reversed the rendering code that caused it. Our goal is to improve the HTML structure of all notes without causing any visual changes when the note is rendered. There are many people putting lots of serious development time in the app, especially around the editor rendering and behavior, and this type of feedback helps us adjust and correct as we improve things. Any sample ENEX files you have will help us in this effort, and you can reach out to me personally on this forum any time, and I will do my best to explain the reasons for any note editing changes you see.

On 5/9/2017 at 0:25 AM, Mike Figueroa said:

Are you guys ever going to address the formatting issues in Presentation Mode, or should I stop holding my breath?

Look at the screenshot attached. Anything in a table ends up with unpredictable margins and text styling is completely random. Presentation Mode would be a quick and beautiful way to share a note during a meeting if it actually worked properly.

Also, are tag folders coming? More powerful table formatting options?

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 00.17.56.png

Anything in a table ends up with unpredictable margins and text styling is completely random.

Can you clarify what is in a table in the screenshot you posted? It looks like you have some code blocks and some paragraphs, but I'm not seeing a table. I can see that the paragraphs have a different margin than the code blocks, and that is indeed making this note look strange. Just not sure where the tables are being affected here...

More powerful table formatting options?

Yes! Please check out the latest Windows 6.6 Beta forum post to see newly released table enhancements, 

6 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Were you able to provide an ENEX file for this note? If you're comfortable posting it here, you can do that too.

Yes, I submitted the ENEX via a support chat with Alexander on May 1. He said he would merge it with my existing ticket with Jeff. I also provided the following relevant information:

(03:22:21 PM) doonyakka: You might also want to let them know that, although the note was created in version 6.11, it looks better (though not perfect) on version 6.10, which I have installed on another Mac. (Btw, I'm not going to update until the problems that were introduced in version 6.11 are fixed.)
(03:23:24 PM) Alexander: Thanks! No worries, I'll pass that along for you. 

Do you need me to submit the ENEX again? If so, I'll email it to Jeff.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Slushies said:

When downloading a beta, is it hard to revert back to the latest release of Evernote? I'm looking to try this beta but have never done it before. 

I'm able to revert to previous versions, but I urge you to think carefully before upgrading to beta versions.

You are volunteering to test the software revision and identify bugs.  There is a risk of data loss or corruption; make sure you have access to data backups.  Finally, make sure you know the process to revert software versions

20 hours ago, doonyakka said:

Yes, I submitted the ENEX via a support chat with Alexander on May 1. He said he would merge it with my existing ticket with Jeff. I also provided the following relevant information:

Nope, I'll get it. Thanks for the update

• Level 5*
On 4/27/2017 at 9:14 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're announcing Evernote for Mac, version 6.11.1 Beta 1. You can download it here.

We've addressed a number of issues related to note editing. If notes containing web clips, emails, tables or other content were affected by 6.11 in a way that made them look incorrect, they should look correct.

@Evernote, @Chantal Leonard, @Johnathan Hebert:

Normally I'd be encouraging you guys  to take as long as needed to properly test a new version before releasing it.
But in this case, since (I hope) 6.11.1 will just be a bug fix for 6.11, I hope you can release 6.11.1 GA soon.  I still want you to do proper testing, but  I just hope you are not trying to add in a bunch of new features for 6.11.1.

As you can tell, I have high hopes for you guys!  ;)

Thanks again for your great responses to the issues we found  with 6.11.

On 5/15/2017 at 0:15 PM, doonyakka said:

Thanks, I worked with Alexander and Jeff to get the ENEX, and spent some time looking into this. It helped us find a problem with the rendering of tables. I am trying to get the fix in for the 6.11.1 GA, thank you!

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Beta 2 has been released and we expect to GA in the next couple of weeks. We were crossing our ts and dotting our is - thanks for the patience. 

Chantal, thank you so much for the update.  I really appreciate it.  Thanks also for the "t's" and "i's".

2017-05-22_21-53-52.png.f7bcd601870185d2377694c4aac8ae01.png

Yes, I'll be patient.  I  can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

2017-05-22_22-11-05.png.011cb70b009739f9ffdde90d8435e7ba.png

Sorry but How do such huge bugs make it to the general release ? As soon as I updated my notes were riddled with rendering errors. not small things. Isn't that what the betas are supposed to be for? 

42 minutes ago, lpr said:

Sorry but How do such huge bugs make it to the general release ? As soon as I updated my notes were riddled with rendering errors. not small things. Isn't that what the betas are supposed to be for? 

Are you experiencing these problems with the current 6.11.1 Beta 1? Or are you talking about 6.11 GA?

Also, can you describe the rendering errors in more detail? Or post a screenshot or sample ENEX file? I will take a look and see if we can fix the problem for you.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Sprague said:

JTLYK, after a quick test run, this beta seems to have fixed my formatting troubles.

That is good to hear.

I was trying to figure out who "JTLYK" is, and then it struck me:
"Just To Let You Know", right?

I don't recall seeing that acronym anywhere.  But a Google search turns it up quickly.

From EN 6.10.x I had several tabs open, each with a different notebook. I skipped the 6.11 beta updates after all the bad reports. 

Now I've installed 6.11.1 and found I had to open new tabs to restore my old arrangement, which I found very useful.

Can you please explain to me why on earth the team should make the horrible decision to modify Tab headings by adding '– Evernote' as a suffix to the name of notebooks?

Absolutely useless change. I want to see the notebook name as quickly and clearly as possible by glancing at the Tab, and not be confused by EN's self-promotion.

Does Evernote fear that I might not be aware that I am in Evernote?

I humbly request that you please remove this ludicrous innovation, and restore things to clarity.

It gets worse. I now find that when I quit and reopen EN, the tabs have disappeared. I very much hope that the next beta will address this bug.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Tabs were a feature introduced with v6.11

I suspect you're writing about something completely different.  Could you post a screenshot to give a better description of the issue

My mistake. I must have meant early betas of 6.11 where tabs worked.

Anyway, here is a screenshot:

screenshot.png

Notice the '– Evernote' suffix in the tab headings.

Very relieved that this has finally been released, and I can start working through my backlog of hundreds of unclipped emails! However, I'm still seeing some table rendering issues with certain emails clipped in Postbox.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, trumpetg said:

screenshot.png

OK - This is the Note Tab feature.  You're right, the description in the tab is <Notebook> – Evernote
or in my case, every tab shows "All Notes – Evernote"

The intended purtpose of the Tabs is for Notes, not Notebooks;
although you can manipulate it so separate notebooks are shown in each tab

You're right; the "– Evernote" is not necessary and can be dropped
My complaint is the Note Tab should indicate the Note Title

• Level 5*

Hey guys, if you have upgraded to this Beta, EN Mac 6.11.1 Beta, it would be most helpful if you could post:

1. Bugs in 6.11 GA that you can confirm were fixed.
  2. Bugs in 6.11 GA that have NOT been fixed.
  3. New Bugs you have found in this beta.

Thanks.

Right after editing an image by "Annotate this Image...", I can't change notebook by clicking the left top notebook name.

58dddcac1eaa2_2017-03-3113_34_53.png.e83b45c30681b5ba3ca7aaf87fe4c0d7.png

For change notebook, I should click show information, title or contents and re-try.

When I add a tag, if it starts English or number, Evernote recommend similar tags that start with that character or word.

But if I want to add a tag by the Korean language, recommendation function doesn't work well.

58dde36f4b8f2_2017-03-3114_04_18.gif.06e2c9db5d33d08fe549acfcbf65b4f9.gif

11 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Sorry to hear that, we have a couple more fixes coming with the final 6.11.1 release - if possible could I have your ENEX for testing and show Dev?  (or do you wish for the final 6.11.1 build first) - ETA is soon, not sure how soon. 

I'll wait — I trashed my local database and re-downloaded it, which seems to have fixed it temporarily.

There is an issue with changing font style on the Korean language.
I can't change bold or italic font to normal font using a keyboard shortcut only. Because if cursor still blinks, no matter what I change font style, it reverses to the bold or italic font if I start typing.

I have some problems.

1. templates are messed up

"Some pasted content were missing styles" 

This problem still exists. Many of my note contents are missing styles. 

It got better than 6.11ver. but HTML format is still messed up. 

And templates that I made by editing html doesn't look the way it used to be. It also looks right in web ver. Here is an example. (padding is lost, indent is messed up)

6111beta1.png

Here is what it looks like in Web ver.

WebVer1.png

Here is another example. Templates copied from official website in Japan doesn't show properly.

I've used these templates by copy and paste from evernote official website in Japan because the website says "use these by copy and paste"

It looks right before but now 6.11 and 6.11.1Beta doesn't show it properly.

Here is what it looks like on 6.11.1Beta ver.

6111betaTemplate.png

Here is what it looks like on Web ver.

WebVerTemplate.png

2. table 

When I change the background color of a table to any color, font color changes to black at the same time. So I have to change the font color again.

3. Searching 

Sometimes when I search something, search results show notes that doesn't contain the word I want to search. So some of the notes that's showing doesn't highlight any words because it doesn't contain the words. As a result, search results are so many that it takes long time to find the note I want to use.

I think it mostly happens when the keywords contain basic words, like "it's", "that's", "a" etc. (or phrases that contain apostrophe?? ) 

On 4/29/2017 at 7:37 AM, doonyakka said:

Sure, please submit an ENEX file and we will take a look at what is causing this.

On 4/29/2017 at 7:33 PM, prjna said:

There is an issue with changing font style on the Korean language.
I can't change bold or italic font to normal font using a keyboard shortcut only. Because if cursor still blinks, no matter what I change font style, it reverses to the bold or italic font if I start typing.

Thanks for the information, I am creating a new issue to track this and have our test team try with the latest version of the Editor 

On 4/29/2017 at 7:27 PM, prjna said:

When I imported note from note history, the tags are missing.

On 4/29/2017 at 7:25 PM, prjna said:

Right after editing an image by "Annotate this Image...", I can't change notebook by clicking the left top notebook name.

58dddcac1eaa2_2017-03-3113_34_53.png.e83b45c30681b5ba3ca7aaf87fe4c0d7.png

For change notebook, I should click show information, title or contents and re-try.

Thanks for reporting this. We have a ticket filed to investigate it. 

On 4/29/2017 at 3:07 AM, trumpetg said:

screenshot.png

Hi there. This is fixed in the next Beta. Thanks for pointing it out. 

9 hours ago, nicolml said:

Thank you for your reply, nicolml.

But I saw this function from your guide movie clip(https://youtu.be/BGayK_hTkj8, 1:33). In this clip, the previous version can restore tags.

I think most people, including me, want to use this function literally for entire restoring. Tags definitely should be there.

I hope you guys bring this function back.

On 2017. 4. 30. at 오전 9시 23분, prjna said:

The problem that the note adds a line under the last line of contents is solved.

I decided too hastily.

Right after add image, it looks fine.

Buf after I edit that note, it happens again.

Still, if notes end with plain text, it's fine. But if notes end with images, bulleted or numbered texts, Evernote add a line automatically.

• Level 5*
On 5/1/2017 at 10:09 AM, nicolml said:

EDIT:  2017-05-02  4:22 PM CT -- Correction

• I misspoke when I said "Note History".
  • I meant EN Trash.
  • Notes restored from EN Trash are as described below.
  • However, in EN Mac 6.9.2, Notes restored from Note History do NOT retain either their Tags or Notebook.
  • I rarely use this feature, so I had NOT noticed this behavior.
  • @Evernote: Please change this behavior to be like restore from Trash

Screenshot of EN Mac 6.9.2 After Restore from Note History

2017-05-02_16-26-21.png.ab8a852dfd637786ea36db17f6abd9da.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If that is a conscious design change in Ver 6.11, then it is a BAD change.  Please revert to the behaviour of EN Mac 6.9.2.

In Ver 6.9.2, when a Note is restored from Trash Note History, it is restored to it's Notebook, and all Tags that were assigned to it are also retained.
I see no reason nor benefit to NOT restoring the Note Tag assignments.

Screenshots from EN Mac 6.9.2.

BEFORE Deletion:

2017-05-01_23-13-03.png.662d4530db4b5bc58602350c16c7e568.png

In TRASH:

5908084d140c7_2017-05-01_23-13-03(1).png.0005516401132f86092fafc8b26940c3.png

AFTER Restore from Trash:

590807deadd3d_2017-05-01_23-13-03(2).png.50efbb11d9b02f7bfb8e342b1b928f99.png

Archived