pkdawg

Sub Notes / Notes with multiple Sections

Idea

Allow sub notes to be attached to a note like tabs in OneNote (sort of). I like breaking down notes into 3 sections such as To Dos, Notes, and Contacts. As these notes get long it would be great to have a sub note to click to with the info from one of those sections. Also allow interlinking between sections in a note. 

• Like 1

13 replies to this idea

Yes, please. child-notes would be awesome. Yes, there are workarounds, but here is the simple feature I imagine:

- Right click on a note, and select "Create child note", a new note window opens, and you edit. It's indented in the list under its parent note.

or

- Multi-select some notes. Then choose "Establish parent-child". A window pops up with the list of selected notes. Organize the list to make the parent note 1st. All other selected notes are to become child-notes to that note.  Click ok.

• Like 1

+1 Please add this. I really like Evernote Premium, but this one feature is a reason for me to consider OneNote and I'd like to be able to make a comfortabel, hassle-free and complete transition to Evernote.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pkdawg said:

Allow sub notes to be attached to a note like tabs in OneNote (sort of). I like breaking down notes into 3 sections such as To Dos, Notes, and Contacts. As these notes get long it would be great to have a sub note to click to with the info from one of those sections. Also allow interlinking between sections in a note. 

Or you could just break up your notes, and use note links to thread them together.

• Like 1

To much manual labor and notes get separated and as you grow sections you'll need to go back and add the new links to all notes in that bunch. 

• Like 1

Thank you.  I use TOC, but you need to create them cyst and paste it in notes and that can get tedious. It would be good if the related notes were just there in sight automatically.

I'd like to do a TOC in a long note as well as an alternative option jumping from section to section. 

51 minutes ago, pkdawg said:

It would be good if the related notes were just there in sight automatically.

I use a Tag to tie notes into a list.  

An example is a project which has many documents and task notes

I switch to title sequence to control the note order

Just thought of this myself as I was wanting a way to quickly easily relate two notes to each other without creating a notebook. I saw the other comments regarding linking note titles but I've always found that to be rather cumbersome and creating another notebook or stack isn't always necessary, especially when the note is already in a stacked notebook. Would be super awesome to just indent a series of notes underneath the parent note for related information. Please do add this!

I think there are plenty of times where we take notes that are conceptually separate notes, but splitting them apart into multiple notes just makes them difficult to review, share, or reference later... but still being able to search on part of the note would be exceedingly useful.

For example - in a meeting or lecture, I'll want to see all the notes from that meeting together in one note.  It makes it easier to read, to understand context, and to share/distribute to others (especially if they don't share my approach to tagging).  That said, the note will be made up notes, todos, quotes, definitions, side thoughts, etc., that it would still be useful to treat as a sub-note so that I can tag/search/view them separately from the original full note.

Note links, table of contents, tags, etc., are often suggested as work arounds but this tends to break up information and have you jumping around and back and forth, making it more difficult to comprehend the information.

Related: Tagging part of a note https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/100942-feature-request-tagging-portions-of-text/

[Edit: I personally would prefer this wasn't implemented as tabs... so maybe I'm looking for slightly different...subnotes on the same page.]

[also, if they did implement the subnote or tagging portions of text solutions, I would love if it worked with images somehow, as scanned notes would definitely be an area where this would be a benefit... but this is a nice to have, I'll take whatever sub-note solution I can get :-D ]

On 3/21/2018 at 6:05 AM, Pajill said:

hope this help: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/217961187 

in the section of "1. Organize class notes into notebooks"

This is a good feature, but it doesn't address the original post at the note level  I assume that you'd run out of notebooks too if sub notebooks count toward the total.  You'd end up with a lot of sub notebooks with not many notes.  They need to bring it to a sub note level instead of notebook level.