sjgmail

Pin notes to the top of notebook

Idea

7 hours ago, bdkeadle said:

Currently, if I don't have any new TODOs/Ideas for several days/weeks, the note eventually gets pushed down out of my view (because I sort my daily notes by date).

Still merging the "pin" discussions.

You're welcome to add your vote for this request.  Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion.

In the meantime, we can use the Shortcut Section for pinning.1519084109_ScreenShot2019-03-01at19_23_17.png.2013f49bd4a4047bbead7551d8ff2e2b.png

• Shortcts to notes can be pinned, as well as tags, and saved searches
  • I have a tag  !HotNotes at the top that gives me quick access to notes so tagged 

The reminder workaround doesn't work anymore. There are important notes that I would like pined to the top. Now there is no way to do so. It is a very basic functionality. 

2 hours ago, lein said:

The reminder workaround doesn't work anymore. There are important notes that I would like pined to the top. Now there is no way to do so. It is a very basic functionality. 

I don't think there's been any change to the Reminders feature; why is it not working anymore?

An alternative work-around is pinning notes to the Shortcuts section.

Posted (edited)

Please, create the possibility for us users, to freeze the notes (inside notebooks) or notebooks (at main page) that us mostly use (let us choose), on the top, instead just the alphabetical organization (notebooks) or time organization (notes).

Maybe it may be attached to localization services (if the user wants) and specifically notebooks appear on the top of main page according to the user localization.

PS: Sorry if this feature already exists.

Thanks

Edited by SNiederauer
development of syntax and semantics

On 3/5/2019 at 8:35 AM, lein said:

Windows? Mac?

In Windows, in the latest beta at least, if you have the Reminders setting "Sort reminders by date" checked, then you can order undated reminders arbitrarily, but you can's order dated reminders. If you "Sort reminders by date" unchecked, then you can reorder reminders arbitrarily.

2 hours ago, SNiederauer said:

Please, create the possibility for us users, to freeze the notes (inside notebooks) or notebooks (at main page) that us mostly use (let us choose), on the top, instead just the alphabetical organization (notebooks) or time organization (notes).

Merged with the other Pin Notes request

2 hours ago, Bill Butler said:

very simple request

Do you actually know this is "very simple"?
Do you have an estimate of the work-hours and other costs for implementing this change?

To indicate your support for the request, use the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

On 3/30/2019 at 4:18 PM, DTLow said:

Do you actually know this is "very simple"?
Do you have an estimate of the work-hours and other costs for implementing this change?

DTLow, I assume this is not a rhetorical question, and thus deserves an answer. 

First some background for context to my responses. I have been developing software since I was 12, almost forty years ago. I have been servicing my clients in the role of enterprise architect for the last 20 years. During that time I have worked on everything from the IBM 3090Z down to the Arduino. I have architected, managed a team and worked on the development of a custom Point Of Sale platform for 300 stores with multi-modal distribution (register, mobile and web).  This system had HA (High Availability) requirements and was down for a total of 2 hours over 7 years.We delivered new functionality every 3-4 weeks. I have other CV stories if interested.

We have had several clients who are in the health care and social work space. These clients were extensive note takers, and we have built out note systems that are not unlike Evernote in concept with attachment and WYSIWYG capabilities.

A recent project in the health care space is currently in the neighborhood of 300K in development costs and is both web and mobile. While they haven't asked me yet to implement such a feature, being able to Pin a note in a client's file would probably take about a max of 2 man-days or say $2000 in developer time and testing.

Yes it should be simple in the grand scheme of things!!

As a guess Evernote should be using some sort of document style database (couch, mongodb, etc)  for its back end. Such storage mediums are extremely forgiving to the introduction or removal of data elements. You can add a new field to a JSON or XML block and no consumer of such a change would care.

To support pinning a note, all one needs to do is add a new bit type/boolean field to the data structure, and then make sure it is present in the (hopefully) common data management layer that exists. (Yes we can talk about sharding storage across multiple servers and the need to coordinate synchronization, but they should have tools to deal with these issues to make this update trivial.)

It will take time to update all of the presentation modes they offer (desktop, web, etc), but once again this is a relatively straight forward feature. They already have a segment of code which orders notes, and which places notes with reminders at the top of the list. It should be a day per mode to change and test code to "pin" a note at the top. 

It is simple because they have had 6+ years since the first request showed up on this feature, and they could have inlined the request with any of the other changes they were making without having any measurable development costs.

I have been using their web beta since January and haven't seen any significant changes in feature set which they were promising were coming. I have to ask myself what they are doing over there.

If I hadn't already made a solid commitment to use Evernote for the last 6 years , I might consider switching back to OneNote.

3 hours ago, Bill Butler said:

As a guess Evernote should be using some sort of document style database (couch, mongodb, etc)  for its back end. Such storage mediums are extremely forgiving to the introduction or removal of data elements. You can add a new field to a JSON or XML block and no consumer of such a change would care.

To support pinning a note, all one needs to do is add a new bit type/boolean field to the data structure

On the client platforms, the metadata is stored in SQLite databases.
For the Reminders implementation, a reminderOrder field was added to control sequencing and "pinning"
This is straightforward, but complicated by the duplication for each platform.

>>It will take time to update all of the presentation modes they offer (desktop, web, etc), but once again this is a relatively straight forward feature. They already have a segment of code which orders notes, and which places notes with reminders at the top of the list. It should be a day per mode to change and test code to "pin" a note at the top. 

Again complicated by the duplication for each platform.
Not sure how straightforward it would be; the simplest UI would be right-click on the note and pin to the top.

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Again complicated by the duplication for each platform.
Not sure how straightforward it would be; the simplest UI would be right-click on the note and pin to the top.

I would think by now they should be using some very basic database upgrade techniques. When I build desktop/mobile apps, the first step after clearing away basic readiness housekeeping was to check the version number in the DB against the one the app was expecting and then executing the appropriate code to add that. Since the central DB should be up to date with the latest, clients that did not have the field just won't sync it. And I have to think they are already dealing with this sort of thing since they already have feature forks--works in this product version, doesn't work in this product version.

As for the UI, all they need is the equivalent of a button--easier than a right click in my mind because you have to code the right click into all of the containers (windows or forms) to handle the UX. In my past designs a simple Font Awesome glyph indicating pinned or unpinned status is pretty straight forward. Click it once it is pinned, click it again and it is unpinned. 

The current static order of 'Last Modified' is indeed quite unpractical and I create notebooks specifically to move some notes out of the way to keep things overseeable. An option for the sort order allows anyone to use his/her own preferred system. A 'natural' sort option would be to allow manual ordering of notes. Other sort options would be: Last Modified, Creation Date, Alphabetical...

5 hours ago, Ruud van Gaal said:

A 'natural' sort option would be to allow manual ordering of notes. Other sort options would be: Last Modified, Creation Date, Alphabetical...

No "manual ordering", except for the Shortcuts and Reminder sections.

We have the other sort options.1221932907_ScreenShot2019-04-01at08_29_04.png.c87ba59ce77c7c9dc9d547f8fd8c5136.png
Screenshot is from my Mac

It's fun & exciting to speculate on degree-of-difficulty issues in changing someone else's software system. In the interest in supplying some extra context, some quick thoughts:

Evernote technical blog posts on Evernote architectural features -- a little dated, I think, but overall should still be relevant (modulo the fact that Evernote now does live in the cloud --  rather than their own servers):

So somethoughts abotu the analysis offered 

• The API: adding new fields means updating the API, used both by Evernote and 3rd-party applications. What are the implications of an API change? (Evernote Developer docs here: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/, API Reference here: http://dev.evernote.com/doc/reference/http://dev.evernote.com/doc/reference/)
  • At a guess, adding the pinning feature is most likely a bit (coughmore than just adding a Pinned boolean. Pinning as implemented by in reminders also includes an ordering (reminderOrderTime). I'd assume that that would be desirable here as well. How much more development time this might take would be guesswork.
  • UI work seems to be underplayed in the analysis, given that pinning is not an on/off operation (or shouldn't be)
  • Policy stuff:
    • Is 'pinning' a local or gobal property? I.e., if I share a note or notebook with someone else, do my pinned notes become someone else's pinned notes? Reminder state, including reminder order is shared (it's persisted in the ENML). If that's desired for normal note pinning, then the ENML spec must change as well.
    • Is pinning a note in the new way independent of pinning in the old reminder way? I.e., if you pin a note in the new way, is it automatically pinned in reminders as well?

Note that nowhere here am I suggesting that this couldn't or shouldn't be done, or making any claims on feasibility. Just providing a little more context for the armchair quarterbacks among us (I do it too!)...

• Like 1

I have been waiting for this feature for years... seems incredible that this simple feature that exists on all other note taking platforms is not yet implemented in Evernote. Please please please add this!!!!  I'll send you a gift basket. :)

After years of waiting as a payed customer, I am getting frustrated. I started to looking for alternative solutions. There is another nice app called Agenda seems do the job nicely.

Yes please!!! We need this feature!! How is this not a thing yet?

To "pin" notes to the top, or to manually change the order of the notes within a notebook would be soo useful! 

I'm trying to use a notebook as a manual. The "pages" of my manual constantly get messed up based on when I edit it. In any of my notebooks, I would LOVE to be able to rearrange notes in some order. 

Meanwhile, I've created a TOC, moved the links around to the preferred order, then used the hack to set the edit date to sometime in the future so the TOC stays at the top.

For a previous ToC that I created in another notebook, to keep certain types of notes organized without having to merge them, it has moved "down" as more notes have been added to that notebook. It seems the date hack needs to be used to keep it on the top of the list?

+1 for note pinning

1 hour ago, Colleen O said:

Meanwhile, I've created a TOC, moved the links around, and used the hack to set the edit date to sometime in the future so the TOC stays at the top.

ToC works. It's a static list, although there are options to make this dynamic.

I've merged this request with the other discussions.  You can indicate your support using the voting buttons at the top left corner.

I'm just using underscores in the beginning of a note name that I want to see on top.

21 hours ago, Albert Newton said:

Is there any way to pin a post to the top of a Notebook ? 

I merged your post with the existing discussion for this feature

No, there is no "pin" feature for notebooks

You can force the note to sort at the top of the list by manipulating the note title and dates

6 hours ago, DTLow said:
19 hours ago, Albert Newton said:

Is there any way to pin a post to the top of a Notebook ? 

I merged your post with the existing discussion for this feature

No, there is no "pin" feature for notebooks

You can force the note to the top of the list by manipulating the note title and dates

Another way is to make the note a reminder note.

WHENNNN will we be able to PIN notes to the top??? This is an absurd oversight regarding organization functionality. 

Any chance of this happening. (being able to PIN a note within a notebook) Or does it go against the ethos of EN somehow? I would be surprised if so. 

Been using Evernote for years and I still miss this feature just as much. I don't like the workaround at all. 

Chiming in to say I'd also love to see pinning notes added as a feature. 

I have project notebooks and I want my notes to sort the notes inside based on update / creation date.

I make a master note for every project that has links to important documents, a summary of high level important info, etc that I'd like to always be displayed at the top of the notebook.

12 hours ago, skylervm said:

I make a master note for every project that has links to important documents, a summary of high level important info, etc that I'd like to always be displayed at the top of the notebook.

I implement this sort of functionality myself using reminder notes. Reminder notes are displayed as a separate list of notes at the top of any note list they appear in. Reminders may be configured to be ordered by date or arbitrarily (drag/drop).

Edit: another possibility: using a shortcut to identify master notes (via tag or title, maybe; I'd use a tag) would make it easy to isolate your important high level information and navigate to the sub notes for that project.

12 hours ago, skylervm said:

... master note ... I'd like to always be displayed at the top of the notebook.

It's not a notebook thing for me (taggger with minimal notebooks)
but I control the note sequence by adjusting the title and date fields of the "master note" 
My "master note" is at the top of the list

>>I make a master note for every project that has links to important documents, a summary of high level important info, etc 

My "master note" contains links to active project (master) notes1047342819_ScreenShot2019-08-13at08_53_05.png.486a1b7e5eaa9f44c15b50fc16282bbe.png
This list is kept up to date by an applescript on my Mac; also a feature of third party Filterize

I've seen both of those suggestions (reminders, tweaking the date or title). They both are decent workarounds, but neither is quite the solution I'm looking for.

Pinning a note (first) and manual ordering (second) would both be very useful for a number of use cases besides the one I mentioned.

13 minutes ago, skylervm said:

I've seen both of those suggestions (reminders, tweaking the date or title). They both are decent workarounds, but neither is quite the solution I'm looking for.

Understood. Not every forum-goer takes the time to read whole threads, particularly lengthy ones like this one, so you often get repeats on workarounds.

On 6/19/2016 at 12:38 PM, MikeH said:

Add my voice to those who would really the option of being able to sort notes and stacks manually. It's a feature that has been missing for years, and I say this as an Evernote Premium users of many years with 10,021 notes and counting.

Yes, I know about the various workarounds using reminders, title names, tags, one-note-as-TOC, etc. I periodically come to the forums to learn about new things in Evernote and people's clever ways of using it, and I also often search for how to do manual sorting. There are plenty of postings where people discuss one technique or another, but none are the same thing as being able to order one's notes and notebooks directly by putting them into the desired order in the note views and notebook views. The fact that people have to resort to various hacks should be enough to indicate that manual sorting is a desirable but missing feature.

Judging from some past forum discussions about this topic, some people will feel compelled to reply asking me why I want this feature, or lecture me that it's unnecessary, or helpfully point out one hack or another to achieve it.  That won't be necessary.  I would like this feature in Evernote because I believe it would make it easier and more intuitive for me to organize my notes, based on my experiences. I know workarounds exist but I find them unsuitable.  If they work for you, great!  But they don't for me.

There does not seem to be a way to request features from Evernote directly anymore, and based on what I've read in the forums, it seems like posting to the forums is the way to make our requests heard. That is my only purpose here. I know the company that makes Evernote is not obligated to implement every snowflake feature that people request. I'm not complaining that the situation is a deal-breaker for me.  I'm only trying to say "I'm another long-time user who would like this feature because it would address a long-standing problem for me".

TOTALLY AGREE! Unbelievable that +3 years and you still haven't solved this... too many people concurring on this... I know you're not forced to doing this, as Mike said, but I'm very upset anyhow, it would be nice that you worked on this... Even whatsapp now offers the ability to pin chats to the top, really is it that hard?

Hi--

I would love to be able to pin an important note to the top of my notebook, without having to change the sort order. Please add this feature!

You can achieve this by setting a Reminder (no date) for the Note.  Then, click on the Reminders tab in the Note list panel.

If the Note is not at the top, then you can drag/drop it there.

2019-09-04_12-25-31.png.8a0947acfb28e5cf0a8d2678308cf95e.png

2 hours ago, richardonthego said:

I would love to be able to pin an important note to the top of my notebook, without having to change the sort order. Please add this feature!

I merged the requests for this feature

This doesn't seem to be a priority for Evernote.  My work around is to adjust the title/dates so the note sorts to the top 

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Or (on a desktop) drag the note into your Favorites section so you can get to it in one click.  It works after that on mobiles too.

Favorites - Shortcuts I assume?

• Like 1

Oops.  Brain fade whilst using my 'other' laptop.  🥴

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, gazumped said:

Or (on a desktop) drag the note into your Favorites section so you can get to it in one click.  It works after that on mobiles too.

Actually, this works! Thanks :)

I was trying to divide every project into its own notebook, and wanted to have a "Project File" at the top.

Instead, I came up with this workflow:

1. create a Project Files notebook
  2. create a "project file" with the name "#<Project Name>"
  3. move that file to Project Files
  4. add it to shortcuts

Then I have a list of all my project files under shortcuts.

The secondary benefit is now my notebook for "#<Project Name>"  won't be cluttered with project files: mine contains only actionable items. (I'm doing a GTD type thing)

• Like 1