Jump to content
  • 150
sjgmail

Pin notes to the top of notebook

Idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0
13 minutes ago, lisec said:

I would not consider changing the date daily on a note a viable solution. I would need a pinned note to remind me to change the date on the pinned note ;-)

If you view in created sort sequence you don't have to edit the date often if at all, if not, just don't modify the note I suppose.  :(  But then I'm not a note pinner.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, lisec said:

Reminders don't display in "List" view, so that's out.

That's true (and unfortunate), but you can still sort by the ReminderTime field in the list view. It's not a drag/drop 'pinning' operation, but it does honor the reminder time that you can set in a note.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

It's funny how all of the various workarounds for pinning a note involve searching/finding a note when "pinning" actually means never having to search or find!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
7 minutes ago, lisec said:

It's funny how all of the various workarounds for pinning a note involve searching/finding a note when "pinning" actually means never having to search or find!

Actually the way "pinning" works is by a sort column (a field in the note)

For example, in the Reminder Section the column is called Reminder Order

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Actually the way "pinning" works is by a sort column.

For example, in the Reminder Section, the column is called Reminder Order

 

A "pinned" note stays at the top no matter how you sort.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, lisec said:

A "pinned" note stays at the top no matter how you sort.

It's not a workaround if you use snippet view (my favorite), since you can actually order reminders arbitrarily in the reminder list, which which is actually a lot closer to your definition of 'pinning' (though my preference is to just sort using reminder time). It does make it a two-step operation, though. In any case, why it's not available for the list views is a mystery to me.

We'll see how the upcoming 'spaces' changes work out with respect to pinning and other facilities. Still trying to understand what Spaces are and how they fit in with the Evernote scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, jefito said:

Still trying to understand what Spaces are and how they fit in with the Evernote scheme.

You may do better than I, but I read the below and still not 100%sure what a Space is.  My reading says it's a new name for Stack with the addition of what's new and pinning, though not sure the last two have anything to do with notebook structure.  Interested in your read.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015761208-Getting-Started-with-Evernote-Business-Beta

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
7 minutes ago, CalS said:

My reading says it's a new name for Stack with the addition of what's new and pinning

And Sharing

And for the future, there's an indication of note/notebook assignment to multiple Spaces

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, jefito said:

IWe'll see how the upcoming 'spaces' changes work out with respect to pinning and other facilities. Still trying to understand what Spaces are and how they fit in with the Evernote scheme.

Yeah, I got a bit excited reading about Spaces. From what I've read it reminded me of the old OS/2 days where you could create desktop shortcuts that would open entire projects (programs, files, etc).  Your "deck" icon would open your deck-related files, programs, whatever without having to open the program first. It just didn't care where the deck-related info was coming from or what format it took.  I'm guessing spaces lets you gather everything related to deck-building (notebooks, notes, tags) and allows you to share and/or collaborate on the whole shebang.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 5/3/2016 at 1:45 AM, CalS said:

Workaround, change the recent edit (updated) date of the note to 12/12/2030 or the like if you sort in reverse order.  

No official way to pin notes.  You can do some note placement with reminders but typically a PITA if you have a lot of notes in the mix.

wish that feature was added as soon as possible. Shortcuts are available, so should pinned notes. I think Evernote is a bit slow in bringing new features.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 minutes ago, NIzi said:

wish that feature was added as soon as possible. Shortcuts are available, so should pinned notes. I think Evernote is a bit slow in bringing new features.

Feature requests have been posted
Please indicate your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

A feature request is posted here

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
17 hours ago, lisec said:

Yeah, I got a bit excited reading about Spaces. From what I've read it reminded me of the old OS/2 days where you could create desktop shortcuts that would open entire projects (programs, files, etc).  Your "deck" icon would open your deck-related files, programs, whatever without having to open the program first. It just didn't care where the deck-related info was coming from or what format it took.  I'm guessing spaces lets you gather everything related to deck-building (notebooks, notes, tags) and allows you to share and/or collaborate on the whole shebang.

This seems to be the direction that spaces is going in, though I haven't been able to winkle out all of the details of how everything hangs together. I think that that will be useful for my own work life, even though it's more aimed at a collaborative environment. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
17 hours ago, CalS said:

My reading says it's a new name for Stack with the addition of what's new and pinning, though not sure the last two have anything to do with notebook structure.

It's gotta be a separate beast from stacks (stacks are really not containers with external existence, but just a name in a notebook, which is used to collect other notebooks that have the same stack name) and because stacks exist out there in the field already. Spaces appear to be containers in their own right and should be part of the Evernote architecture as something more than pasted on, which is what stacks feel like to me.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, jefito said:

It's gotta be a separate beast from stacks (stacks are really not containers with external existence, but just a name in a notebook, which is used to collect other notebooks that have the same stack name) and because stacks exist out there in the field already. Spaces appear to be containers in their own right and should be part of the Evernote architecture as something more than pasted on, which is what stacks feel like to me.

I was taking a logical view.  Per the promo page, "Quickly view, share, and edit a collection of related notes and notebooks in one place", it would seem notebooks/notes can exist in multiple spaces.  Not clear if spaces will contain stacks.  Anyway, for someone who doesn't have many notebooks or use the collaboration capabilities, meh, pending elucidation.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, CalS said:

Anyway, for someone who doesn't have many notebooks

My primary reason for using notebooks is to share notes.

Instead, as I read it, I will use Spaces; multiple Spaces per note

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

There is another thread about this here if want more reading...

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
15 hours ago, CalS said:

pending elucidation

Yeah, waiting for that, too. Not sure why they didn't consult us before setting off to design and implement this new feature... :)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, jefito said:

Yeah, waiting for that, too. Not sure why they didn't consult us before setting off to design and implement this new feature... :)

Nah, I prefer providing feedback after the fact.  ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2/24/2018 at 8:21 AM, lisec said:

Reminders don't display in "List" view, so that's out.

Perhaps this is recent (I work on backend, not clients), but this is what I see in our current Mac client nightly:

5a947f5ca747b_ScreenShot2018-02-26at1_41_27PM.png.31f47b25ff5ab09393b41f64a2cbd603.png

23 hours ago, CalS said:

Not clear if spaces will contain stacks.

Currently they cannot. Not sure if this is planned, I'll try to find out. Edit: Not planned as far as I could find out.

As for a more general overview of Spaces, they consist of:

  • A set of notebooks, just like a stack (which currently can each belong to only one Space, but we want to allow multiple)
  • A set of notes that belong to the space itself; in this sense it's kind of like a notebook of its own
  • A "what's new" section that shows notes recently edited, and who edited them
  • A "pinned notes" section, which can have notes from the space itself or any of its notebooks

You can think of them like a revamping of stacks with more features, sure. They were designed with collaboration in mind (part of why they're launching for Business first), so there's also a dedicated sidebar section for spaces, a Space Directory that lists spaces that are shared within the business, and spaces themselves can be shared.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, rezecib said:

As for a more general overview of Spaces, they consist of:

  • A set of notebooks, just like a stack (which currently can each belong to only one Space, but we want to allow multiple)
  • A set of notes that belong to the space itself; in this sense its kind of like a notebook of its own
  • A "what's new" section that shows notes recently edited, and who edited them
  • A "pinned notes" section, which can have notes from the space itself or any of its notebooks

You can think of them like a revamping of stacks with more features, sure. They were designed with collaboration in mind (part of why they're launching for Business first), so there's also a dedicated sidebar section for spaces, a Space Directory that lists spaces that are shared within the business, and spaces themselves can be shared.

Thanks for the detail.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, rezecib said:

Currently they cannot. Not sure if this is planned, I'll try to find out. Edit: Not planned as far as I could find out.

This makes sense as they seem to pretty much replace and improve on what stacks are. Perhaps a tool or command to import a stack into a space would help some users to transition.

1 hour ago, rezecib said:

As for a more general overview of Spaces, they consist of:

  • A set of notebooks, just like a stack (which currently can each belong to only one Space, but we want to allow multiple)
  • A set of notes that belong to the space itself; in this sense it's kind of like a notebook of its own
  • A "what's new" section that shows notes recently edited, and who edited them
  • A "pinned notes" section, which can have notes from the space itself or any of its notebooks

You can think of them like a revamping of stacks with more features, sure. They were designed with collaboration in mind (part of why they're launching for Business first), so there's also a dedicated sidebar section for spaces, a Space Directory that lists spaces that are shared within the business, and spaces themselves can be shared.

Will the sections be configurable? i.e. can you remove sections that aren't desired (like say, what's new?) Will there be a section that has sortable lists of notes, as in the normal desktop? I envision a space as a container of references to notebooks, rather than containers of notebooks, and hopefully that leads to a notebook being able to be a member of more than one space.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
16 minutes ago, jefito said:

This makes sense as they seem to pretty much replace and improve on what stacks are. Perhaps a tool or command to import a stack into a space would help some users to transition.

Could be spaces provide a way to have a notebook exist in two stack like groupings, each not containing the same notebooks.  Sounds like one could have a stack containing all synced notebooks and then have spaces made up of notebooks to be shared with different folks.  So may not replace stacks.  Just spitballing about something of which I know next to nothing, which is the best kind.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
36 minutes ago, jefito said:

Perhaps a tool or command to import a stack into a space would help some users to transition.

That sounds reasonable to me. Doubt it will be there with Business launch, but it makes a lot of sense for when Spaces come to Personal.

36 minutes ago, jefito said:

Will the sections be configurable?

They aren't right now. Don't know if it's planned, but I personally would want it.

36 minutes ago, jefito said:

I envision a space as a container of references to notebooks

That's how we want it to be. It's not there yet.

36 minutes ago, jefito said:

Will there be a section that has sortable lists of notes, as in the normal desktop?

Right now the sections are:

What's New     |     Pinned Notes

---------------------------------

List of contained Notebooks/notes

The list shows (title, updated time, updated user, sharing status). All notebooks show before all notes. Notebooks can be expanded to show the list of notes inside of them.

The list is not sortable in the Mac client right now. I believe sorting by the fields that it currently shows is planned, but it seems that notebooks always show on top no matter how you sort.

I hope it gets some improvement, but I don't know more about what's planned in that area. As it is right now it works when a Space is small, but could become cumbersome if it gets large -- I personally would like parity with the existing note list views and sorting capabilities.

14 minutes ago, CalS said:

Could be spaces provide a way to have a notebook exist in two stack like groupings, each not containing the same notebooks.  Sounds like one could have a stack containing all synced notebooks and then have spaces made up of notebooks to be shared with different folks.

Hmm, looks like this is how it works, yeah. But we want to have spaces alone provide this capability, by allowing a notebook to be in multiple spaces. Currently, though, notebooks only go in one, and you can kind of get a separate organization going with stacks, because the two features ignore each other.

Edited by rezecib
Clarified current vs desired notebook-space relationship
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 minutes ago, rezecib said:

Hmm, looks like this is how it works, yeah. But we want to have spaces alone provide this capability, by allowing a notebook to be in multiple spaces.

That would seem optimal.  Perhaps I misread the above, I thought it said a notebook could be in one space to begin.  If I misread it, then yeah, stacks are pretty much replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hello community,

I'm a 5y+ Evernote user and I'm enjoying the experience! I might repeat with other similar requests, but that's better.

My request is to have the ability to PIN a note on top of others, so it stays that way (e.g. telegrams ability to pin a chat on top).

I use snippet view and I would like to have important notes pinned in the middle column.

 

Looking forward to a solution,

Greetings,

CG

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, cosmicgate said:

I would like to have important notes pinned in the middle column.

This isn't the first request for a pinning feature. 
Evernote supports "pinning" in the shortcut and reminder lists but no such feature in the note list

There are work-around suggestions
My solution is to adjust the note title and dates so the note automatically sorts to the position

================

A comment on the note list.  
The display may be "All Notes", or a specific notebook, or search.  
Would an "important note" apply to all contexts?

You might make use of the shortcuts section for pinning important notes.  
You could even use tag:Important-Notes and use a shortcut to the tag

>>I might repeat with other similar requests, but that's better.

I'm not clear how duplicated requests are better.
Also, you posted your request in the Windows forum.  This would seem to be a platform wide request

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Users might be interested in the new Spaces feature.  It allows "pinning" of notes

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

We're all different - so one man's meat is another man's poison.

With that in mind I prefer to do it this way:

  • Create a new tag : "pinned" (or similar)
  • Create a saved search for tag:pinned
  • Drag the saved search onto the shortcuts toolbar.

I then just tag notes as pinned, and can see all my pinned notes with a single click via the shortcut.

Unpin the note by removing the tag.:D

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 hours ago, Andy Warburotn said:

Create a new tag : "pinned" (or similar)

I have over 300 tags, but I don't consider this to be "pinning "

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Yeah, I haven't written my post well. I'm sorry.

My request was regarding notes in a specific notebook, but your suggestion/work-around makes sense and it's a viable option.

Thank you,

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I sort notes by date updated, and want to keep that method. But I also have one or two notes in the work project notebook that I need all the time. These get pushed down the stack as other notes are updated. 

So I would love a way to pin one or more notes to the top of the stack, independent of sort order, so that they are always there. Yes, I know I can just create a separate notebook for those, but switching notebooks is more than I'm looking for. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/2/2018 at 2:16 PM, Ordinant said:

I sort notes by date updated, and want to keep that method. But I also have one or two notes in the work project notebook that I need all the time. These get pushed down the stack as other notes are updated. 

So I would love a way to pin one or more notes to the top of the stack, independent of sort order, so that they are always there. Yes, I know I can just create a separate notebook for those, but switching notebooks is more than I'm looking for. 
 

As has been noted previously in this thread, you can use reminders (with some restrictions) to 'pin' notes to a separate list at the top of your note list (I use the WIndows and Android clients most frequently, and the reminder lists are implemented on these applications). They generally go along with whatever search filter you're using, so they're not universally pinned. You can generally sort your reminder list differently than your note list, and the reminder list is independently collapsible..

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/2/2018 at 11:16 AM, Ordinant said:

I sort notes by date updated, and want to keep that method. But I also have one or two notes in the work project notebook that I need all the time... So I would love a way to pin one or more notes to the top of the stack

There's no pin feature.  On Mac/Win platforms we can adjust the updated-date of a note so it will always sort to the top of the list

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
29 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There's no pin feature.  On Mac/Win platforms we can adjust the updated-date of a note so it will always sort to the top of the list

What I like about reminders is that they work independently of the updated date.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I am in as well. This would be so useful. Just right-click and pin note. Easy.

I love the list view, the reminder section isn't available there. Reminder Workaround is ok, but a native pin feature would be awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I have found myself many times creating notes I want to refer back quite often or be reminded of their existence but the majority of such notes get lost in the clutter. I know that you can have notebooks, etc but when you open Evernote the most recent notes or changes are always on top. So with this feature you will be able to pin a specific number of notes ( so that you don't have for example over 10 pinned notes ) and these pinned notes will always be on top no matter how many notes you create or perform changes to.

Thank you all for your kind comments. What I mean by pinning, if you, right now open Evernote you will see a list of all the notes you have created. Now, imagine if you could pin one of these notes on the very top, so everytime you open Evernote or perform changes, that specific note will always be on the very top no matter what.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Are you aware of pinning notes in the Shortcuts section?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Defkalion said:

I know that you can have notebooks, etc but when you open Evernote the most recent notes or changes are always on top.

May not be 100% what you want, but if you put the notes in a notebook, make your context the notebook, and then File - Exit EN, that notebook will be the context whenever you open EN.  Windows anyway;  Plus if you add the notebook to the shortcuts section you can see all the notes with one click.  FWIW.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

A number of Evernote clients support separate lists for reminders, which can be used as a sort of pinning mechanism. I use this in the Windows client all the time. For day-to-day operation, I tend to live in the reminder list rather than the wider seas of all my notes.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

 In addition to the shortcut feature, I would like to have the ability to pin a note to the top of a notebook. It's like putting a pin in. It's too hard to find the most important note in my notebook. Thank you, and have a nice day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

What about adding it to the shortcut list? That way it is available either in the left pane or on the toolbar in desktop versions, as well as in a dedicated menu on the mobile apps.

Edited by logandb
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
35 minutes ago, logandb said:

What about adding it to the shortcut list?

That does pin the note, but not to the top of a notebook.
Its not just a notebook thing; I have note collections where I want to control the top note

My work-around is to adjust the sort factors so these notes automatically sort to the top of the list.
This is mostly a title thing.  In title sequence, a title prefixed with "-" is at the top; for example    -Project Master Note
I can also adjust the note update/create dates for the other sort sequences.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That does pin the note, but not to the top of a notebook.
Its not just a notebook thing; I have note collections where I want to control the top note

My work-around is to adjust the sort factors so these notes automatically sort to the top of the list.
This is mostly a title thing.  In title sequence, a title prefixed with "-" is at the top; for example    -Project Master Note
I can also adjust the note update/create dates for the other sort sequences.

Fair point, @DTLow.  I love shortcuts, but they don't give any hint as to where the note originated.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I, too, would love this feature.

In the meantime, here's my workaround: I add a reminder to the note, using the alarm clock button at the top of the note I want to pin.

From the Evernote page about that function:

"Reminders appear in a to-do list pinned at the top of your note list where they can be sorted, marked as complete, and more. You can opt to receive email alerts on the day timed reminders are due. Once you've completed a task associated with a reminder, check it off in the reminders list. Checking off a reminder does not delete the original note."

Hope that helps!

MB

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
8 minutes ago, M. Black said:

In the meantime, here's my workaround: I add a reminder to the note, using the alarm clock button at the top of the note I want to pin.

Yes, that works in the web version. I also use the Windows application a lot, and this works in Snippet view there. I use reminders a lot, mainly for this reason.

Note that this is a separate list that appears above your note list, and can be closed separately.

Also note that you can order your reminders either by due date or by "custom". The latter means that you can drag reminders around the reminder list, and that order will stick. Pretty handy.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 9/3/2018 at 10:32 PM, filmhiker@naver.com said:

I would like to have the ability to pin a note to the top of a notebook.

 

2 hours ago, M. Black said:

Reminders appear in a to-do list pinned at the top of your note list where they can be sorted

I never found the Reminder Section useful in All Notes view, and I basically use a single notebook.
My reminder section is full of  ........ reminders

However this is useful if you have a focused set of notes; it could be a notebook or a saved search.
As can be seen in the screenshot - The note sucessfully appears at the top of the list
164783264_ScreenShot2018-09-14at12_45_14.png.7a939bd517b2891ff1122d445a42f664.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

2 questions ...
1. While in card view/expanded card view, is there a way to see what notebook it is in?

2. Is there a way to pin notes to the top of a notebook?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
55 minutes ago, kloy said:

While in card view/expanded card view, is there a way to see what notebook it is in?

There are no options to display the notebook in card view.

>>Is there a way to pin notes to the top of a notebook?

There is no "pin" feature for the note list.

I usually adjust the title or dates so the note sorts to the top of the list.

At the top of the note list, you will see the Reminders section.94B09E28-418D-4107-9F5E-28A428E12817.png.908958ef6a0a7fac1a67c19d52d00f95.png
You  can set a note reminder to pin a note title in this section.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hi there,

It would be great to have ability to pin notes to the top of the actual notebook (and in addition to have a dynamic notebook with all the pinned notes). Google Keep has this feature. Awesome!

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

There is a whole family of these requests on the forum.  Hopefully EN's new forum clean up project will consolidate this with the others. ( @Shane D.  ;) )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
7 hours ago, CabbageTree said:

It would be great to have ability to pin notes to the top of the actual notebook (and in addition to have a dynamic notebook with all the pinned notes). Google Keep has this feature. Awesome!

No "pin" feature.  My method is to adjust the title and/or dates so the note naturally sorts to the top of the note list.
Other users use the Reminders Section which appears at the top of the note list.

For the "dynamic notebook", I would apply a tag to the pin notes.  A search will retrieve the list.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
7 hours ago, CabbageTree said:

It would be great to have ability to pin notes to the top of the actual notebook (and in addition to have a dynamic notebook with all the pinned notes).

Windows Evernote users have to ability to have reminder notes to appear at the top of various note list types (snippet, card, thumbnail, but not the list views) in a separate list what can be sorted independently of the note list, or arbitrarily ordered. The Android client also has reminders available at the top of the note list as well. I use this feature a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Currently, only the latest edited note shows on top, this brings a difficulty to me as I maintain a notebook for each project and a summary note within a notebook to keep track of the progress. Becuase we do not have a way to pin the summary to top it is being pushed down as and when I add new notes to the notebook. It is not a deal breaker but definitely causes me inconvenience when updating summary note.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
27 minutes ago, Harsh Nannur said:

Currently, only the latest edited note shows on top

You set the list sequence; date or title.

My process for a project review is  to switch to title sequence.
I pin the  project  master note to the top by prefixing the title with  "-"
For example:     -Project - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

My task notes are  prefixed with "+"
The Next Action Task is prefixed with "++"

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

My standard sort is by Updated, but for certain notebooks is Creation date, others that can be used are Title and reminder date, etc.  You can save each separate view in the Windows version at least.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, Harsh Nannur said:

Currently, only the latest edited note shows on top, this brings a difficulty to me as I maintain a notebook for each project and a summary note within a notebook to keep track of the progress. Becuase we do not have a way to pin the summary to top it is being pushed down as and when I add new notes to the notebook. It is not a deal breaker but definitely causes me inconvenience when updating summary note.

I use reminders for this, as it works well with snippet view, which I use almost exclusively, as well as card view and thumbnail view (doesn't work with the list views, unfortunately). Reminders form a separate, collapsible list above your note list, and it can be independently sorted from your note list, or even sorted arbitrarily by dragging notes up and down the list.  I find this to be super handy for keeping important notes readily available.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Pinning notes is and should be a pretty fundamental utility for an App that's been around as long as Evernote. I've used Evernote extensively for both work and personal for yers but this has always been a bugbear - for example checking quickly for a recently uploaded note now involves wading through countless 1/1/2100 created notes (or reminders). It really needs to be sorted. The suggestion that "Spaces"now has this function just doesn't cut it. I already pay for premium and can get this function in Bear and similar, why not Evernote?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Pinning notes is and should be a pretty fundamental utility for an App that's been around as long as Evernote. I've used Evernote extensively for both work and personal for yers but this has always been a bugbear - for example checking quickly for a recently uploaded note now involves wading through countless 1/1/2100 created notes (or reminders). It really needs to be sorted. The suggestion that "Spaces"now has this function just doesn't cut it. I already pay for premium and can get this function in Bear and similar, why not Evernote?

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Pinning notes is and should be a pretty fundamental utility for an App that's been around as long as Evernote. I've used Evernote extensively for both work and personal for yers but this has always been a bugbear - for example checking quickly for a recently uploaded note now involves wading through countless 1/1/2100 created notes (or reminders). It really needs to be sorted. The suggestion that "Spaces"now has this function just doesn't cut it. I already pay for premium and can get this function in Bear and similar, why not Evernote?

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
8 hours ago, Worfed said:

for example checking quickly for a recently uploaded note now involves wading through countless 1/1/2100 created notes (or reminders). It really needs to be sorted.

Not clear what this has to do with pinning a note?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
8 hours ago, Worfed said:

for example checking quickly for a recently uploaded note now involves wading through countless 1/1/2100 created notes (or reminders)

Still no "pin" feature

I would use filtered lists to avoid "wading through countless  ..."

Please indicate your support for this request using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Yeah, definitely want the “pin it” feature, something that makes the notes stay at the top... The “Reminder” work-around doesn’t fit the bill for me...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 11/11/2018 at 7:11 AM, Павел Фоменко said:

I almost fell off the chair when I found out that such a wonderful notebook don't let me arrange headings as it can be done with my paragraphs ?

The "arrange headings" and "wonderful notebook" is confusing.  
You can prefix your note titles wih a number, then view then in title sequence;
for example  01 Note Heading, 02 Note Heading, ...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I've read the discussion about 'spaces' and I don't think it will be useful for me in my situation. However I would like to have the facility to 'pin' a note to the top (or bottom) of a notebook, resistant to sorting notes within the notebook. I realise I can get close to this functionality with 'reminders' (or tags) but 'pinning' would avoid confusing real reminders with note I specifically want easy access to.

While the concept is simple I understand that it might not be quite so easy to code for, but it would increase the functionality of Evernote. You could have all your cut & paste favourites in one easy to access note. All your technical fixes (or the internal links to their separate notes) for your operating system in one place. Key summary points of various notes in the notebook or quotations in one easy to access note. 

Tags are great but I don't want to search for them to get to something I use frequently. Pinned notes would save searches.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I want to pin notes too. For example, I keep a daily journal with all the important/relevant events of the day, and I would like to pin a note titled "Important Things Learned 2018" at the top that I can easily see and edit whenever there is a key idea or lesson. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, david@daveresnick.com said:

I keep a daily journal with all the important/relevant events of the day, and I would like to pin a note titled "Important Things Learned 2018" at the top that I can easily see and edit whenever there is a key idea or lesson. 

I also keep a daily journal; a note in Evernote669262011_ScreenShot2018-12-05at07_45_32.png.352a765b7bd3944767aa84c4b4b77fe6.png
My journal template has links to notes I need quick access to

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, david@daveresnick.com said:

I want to pin notes too. For example, I keep a daily journal with all the important/relevant events of the day, and I would like to pin a note titled "Important Things Learned 2018" at the top that I can easily see and edit whenever there is a key idea or lesson. 

If/until this feature is added, there are possibilities that might help, depending on which Evernote application you are using:

  • Create an Evernote shortcut to your note.  Shortcuts are generally easily available.
  • In some clients (I use Windows, with snippet view, and Android), reminder notes appear in a separate list above the note list. The reminder list can be configured to sort by reminder date, or you can order it yourself via drag/drop. I use this to keep frequently accessed notes readily available.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Whenever I want to pin a note to the top of a notebook, I use a period (.) or asterisk or number. Those things take the note out of alphabetical order and position it at the top of the notebook. Make sure your notes are being viewed in ascending order by title.

You can also use shortcuts or a main table of contents note listing links to all the notes you want frequent access to. For example, long before EN introduced templates, I had created about 50 of them. I have a notebook named .Templates that stays at the top of my notebook list for fast access to all of my templates.

There are always work-arounds. Hope one of these helps you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 minutes ago, Sandeelynne3 said:

Whenever I want to pin a note to the top of a notebook, I use a period (.) or asterisk or number. Those things take the note out of alphabetical order and position it at the top of the notebook. Make sure your notes are being viewed in ascending order by title.

I basically use a sigle notebook, and generate note  lists with tags and other searches.

This title prefixing works well for me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I use reminder notes for pinning notes. Works great for me.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 12/1/2018 at 9:01 AM, DiscoveredJoys said:

I've read the discussion about 'spaces' and I don't think it will be useful for me in my situation. However I would like to have the facility to 'pin' a note to the top (or bottom) of a notebook, resistant to sorting notes within the notebook. I realise I can get close to this functionality with 'reminders' (or tags) but 'pinning' would avoid confusing real reminders with note I specifically want easy access to.

While the concept is simple I understand that it might not be quite so easy to code for, but it would increase the functionality of Evernote. You could have all your cut & paste favourites in one easy to access note. All your technical fixes (or the internal links to their separate notes) for your operating system in one place. Key summary points of various notes in the notebook or quotations in one easy to access note. 

Tags are great but I don't want to search for them to get to something I use frequently. Pinned notes would save searches.

As a workaround pending EN doing anything about pinned notes, you can use the shortcuts bar for single click access to individual notes.  Works fine if you don't have a lot of pinned notes.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

It would be great if I could Pin notes to the top of a notebook for quick access whenever I go to that notebook. I know there are shortcuts, but I don't always need constant access to a note(s).

1) If I visit that specific notebook, like my school notebook, I could have my main project pinned to the top, and when I leave my School notebook, it's out of the way.

2) Sometimes I want to edit a note, but not on my phone. If I could Pin it, it would be at the top ready to go when I got home on my computer. 

3) To do lists in different Notebooks. I don't want to have 3 to do lists saved to my shortcuts, but if I had one pinned in my Personal, Work and School notebooks, I would still have quick access to them.

I'm sure others can think of plenty of other use cases.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

You identified notebooks for pinning notes. 

I basically use a single notebook, relying  on saved searches instead.
My pin  requirement would be search based instead of notebook based.

>> 2) Sometimes I want to edit a note, but not on my phone. If I could Pin it, it would be at the top ready to go when I got home on my computer. 

This seems more like a reminder or tag user-case.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Looking for some guidance on the ability to pin a note at the top of a note list within a notebook.  I.E. note would be pinned to top of note list within a notebook, and would remain at the top, regardless of sorting by note date creation, or updated.   Thanks, Mike

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

There's no Evernote option for pinning a note in the Notebook notelist.

I'm not a big notebook user but I control sequence in notelists by prefixing the title with control characters; for example -title sorts to the top.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
7 hours ago, Banksy said:

Looking for some guidance on the ability to pin a note at the top of a note list within a notebook.  I.E. note would be pinned to top of note list within a notebook, and would remain at the top, regardless of sorting by note date creation, or updated.   Thanks, Mike

Only workarounds.

If you are a Snippet View user reminders appear at the top of the note list.  You can manually arrange the reminders.  Not a particularly elegant solution, but it kind of works.

If your default sort sequence for the notebook isn't created or updated date, you may be able to save a view which has the note at the top of the list sorting on another field.  Then add a shortcut to the notebook in the shortcuts bar.  Again, not perfect.

Or just put a shortcut to the note in your shortcuts bar.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I put ‘1.’ in front of the title of the top level note in each category, then 2, 3, 4, in front of second, third and fourth level notes (just the important or fixed ones). That means a quick sort by title brings them to the top, and it works well.  I also use shortcuts to do searches by tags of Lev1, Lev2, Lev3, Lev4. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@Manolson Hi, Happy new year 2019, thanks for your post and welcome to the Forums! Its a right-out shame that this is STILL not implemented!! There have been about 200 updates since, most of them regarding ***** no one needs... @everyone : lets make some noise on this thread again... this is basic and necessary! DONT FORGET TO UP-VOTE THE REQUEST!...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Neyghey said:

There have been about 200 updates since, most of them regarding ***** no one needs

Quote from CEO Ian Small in the latest Evernote blog on priorities for 2019

undoubtedly we will still disappoint some of you—whether it’s because you don’t like the way we choose to fix something, or we don’t prioritize a particular bug that drives you around the bend

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hey, @DTLow and thanks very much for your quick reply!... Didn't realise you were part of "the system", but good to know.... I appreciate EN in general, else i wouldn't  still be a subscriber... But the fact that we still can't rearrange notes is just OUTRAGEOUS! I feel that my life could be perfect right now if i could just rearrange notes manually. Yes, its such a big deal (to some of us). And i have yet to meet someone who needs tabs in EN on a regular basis or this nice pop-ups that ask me to pay for some business subscription or join some #challenge... This request has been posted in JAN 2013. This was 6 Years ago. And we haven't heard from an EN employee since....

 

PS: is there a particular reason, you made your last reply a link or was it a mistake?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Ah @DTLow - They have been disappointing us for years about this!

I've reached out to CEO @croneill and @evernotehelps about twice a year for a few years now about this issue of not being able to sort manually, I always get the same "thanks for your input" go-nowhere response.

I would HEAVILY use Evernote if they allowed you 1. Sort manually

Also, I've been complaining for a long time about not being able to Copy / Paste text formatting styles - like Bold, Header, Italics, coloured text etc.

Apple's app allow this though Edit Menu items, with the simple keyboard shortcuts of ( ⌥ ⌘ C  [copy style] and ⌥ ⌘ V [paste style] )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

+1 on the feature request. I do not care about the workarounds and don't want to pay for Spaces when it's way more than I need. I just want the pinning feature to exist. I use OneNote at work, and ordering notes is generally much easier there. However, I've been an Evernote user since the days when it was completely free and I want to continue to support it.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Just mind boggling to me that this remains unaddressed. Even more mind boggling than the fact my quick skim of this thread produces no comments on this particular feature from the Evernote team. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 minutes ago, Jimi said:

Just mind boggling

There is a feature request posted at the top of the discussion
You're welcome to indicate your support using the voting buttons in the left corner of the discussion.  Current vote count is 710481876_ScreenShot2019-02-06at12_55_03.png.e73e2764bc4f1338ca9b556bcb737e70.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Number the notes order per each notebook.

The only way I can now change the displayed order of my notes are changing their own name, and arranging by name, but it takes time to drag, select and rename the titles name to a number, so I would like to simply double click on a numberation area and type fastly my note order. Would be more organized and aesthetically pleasing too.

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

What?

Allow users to pin a single (or multiple) note(s) to the top of a notebook, irrespective of what the sorting order is.

Why?

It'd be very useful for a lot of people who like to have a master 'organiser' or 'strategy page' for each of their notebooks, or just a general bulletin board for each notebook.

 

Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
14 hours ago, mingomongo said:

What?

Allow users to pin a single (or multiple) note(s) to the top of a notebook, irrespective of what the sorting order is.

Why?

It'd be very useful for a lot of people who like to have a master 'organiser' or 'strategy page' for each of their notebooks, or just a general bulletin board for each notebook.

 

Thanks.

 

Asked for many times.  What is your default sort for the notebook(s)?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2/15/2019 at 6:30 PM, Notl said:

simply double click on a numberation area and type fastly my note order.

Notes have a number field (reminderOrder) used in the reminder section. 
Drag-and-drop is used to assign the note order.

I moved this request to the General Feature Request forum.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 minutos atrás, DTLow disse:

The shortcuts and reminder sections use drag-and-drop.

The feature I am talking about is by changing:

Title name = #1 + Name

Title name = #2 + Name

to:

Title name = Name (Own section).

Number order = Number (Own section, and be able to click it to arrange the order when in Ctrl+F8).

 

I use Tags other way, with other content only. So I would like a specific Number Section Bar only to number the arranging of the notes. I can't change the Tag order too, and it would difficult the searches of the Searching bar feature.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

For what it's worth, I change the created date to accomplish my preferred sort order in certain views, as it normally never changes unless changed deliberately.

If you are talking about a large number of notes, sorting by title and using a script to automatically edit the title would be the way to go, I think.  Not that difficult to do in Windows with AutoHotkey.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

For what it's worth, I change the created date to accomplish my preferred sort order in certain views, ...

To cover more views, set all three values: title, update and create date

Downside; you're locked into descending/ascending sequence; in addition to sacrificing the actual values.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
54 minutes ago, DTLow said:

To cover more views, set all three values: title, update and create date

Downside; you're locked into descending/ascending sequence.

Would be nice to have multi field sorting like some other programs, to really take advantage of that idea.  Would not be surprised if someone has already requested the feature.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

fyi   The Pin Notes requests have been merged into a single discussion

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Please, Please, Please add this pinning feature to the top of Notebooks ( I don't care for the Reminder feature). As a freelance Tech Consultant, I have hundreds of notebooks for clients.  Within each notebook, I title the notes by date.  When I'm preparing for a future meeting, I create the note for that date, but it gets lost in the sea of notes as it is moved down when newer notes are created. I would prefer to pin it to the top of the notebook (as pinning has become a more universal feature).

However, if you are adamant about not creating a pinning feature (which seems to be the case based on how old this topic is), at least move the Reminder from the More Note Commands menu to an easily accessible icon, maybe next to the Repeat Command icon.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...