sjgmail

Pin notes to the top of notebook

Idea

This request reminds me another one, about tags in shared notes.  There are multi-year threads going on without resolution.  It basically means that Evernote architecture doesn't easily allow this, and legacy code became unmaintainable.  I'd like for a VP of Engineering to come here and explain why they can't implement this feature for so many years.  It can also inform technically-minded investors about the state of product and engineering.

2 hours ago, braver said:

It basically means that Evernote architecture doesn't easily allow this, and legacy code became unmaintainable....I'd like for a VP of Engineering to come here and explain...

Architecture wise, they've already shown it can be done.
(they added the reminder order field to notes for the reminder section)
So I'm guessing the solution is to add a notebook order field 
Thats the easy part; updating the UI across all the platforms is another matter

I'm not sure what you want to hear from Engineering
I've accepted that in the list of priorities, its been decided not to implement this at this time.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2016 at 1:38 PM, MikeH said:

There does not seem to be a way to request features from Evernote directly anymore, and based on what I've read in the forums, it seems like posting to the forums is the way to make our requests heard.

Go to this thread in the Windows Feedback forum, and click on the arrow to vote it up. Lots of people like the idea, but only seven have taken the .5 second to vote on it. If that's not quite what you had in mind, there may be another proposal there; or you could start a thread.

• Like 1

Inability to sort notes manually has got to be the most glaring shortcoming of Evernote. Reading through some of the gyrations people have to go through in order to simply accomplish what should be an obvious Evernote feature, is utterly ridiculous. I'd use this product a lot more if it had this feature; for me, and I'm sure for many others, not having the ability to manually sort notes renders this product nearly useless. What are you waiting for to add this feature?

I see this topic was created some time ago. Is there still no such feature? I started using Evernote a year ago and it was a reason I soon stopped. Just now I tried again and for a moment it was like a great app but then I had a same problem again.  

Nope you still can not rearrange your notebooks simple.

I did found a work around but it needs some work, you need to number your note books (see below)

1.Inbox

2.Personal

3.Work

Automatically they do not arrange in the right order to make the notebooks arrange in the right order you first have to create a notebook stack (drag them on top of each other) and them drag them one by one out of the stack (drag them out of the stack on top of the main folder "Notebooks".

When you have done that with all notebooks they are arranged in the right order.

Success, lame they did not fix this yet

@gangelo, @VivienKa, welcome to the forums. I agree that this is a much-needed feature.

@gangelo, as to whether it is "the most glaring shortcoming of Evernote" ... just look around these forums a bit. You will find a very large number of items that have significant numbers of people (sometimes very annoyted people) who have identified those items as "the most glaring shortcoming of Evernote." IMHO, EN is so useful that people use it in a huge variety of ways for all sorts of tasks, meaning that what seems a blatantly obvious lack to some is as nothing to others, for whom something else is urgently needed. So, bottom line, I keep trying to remind myself that my ways of using this software will differ from other people's ways, and that others will identify important needs that I overlook. And the EN developers have to find a way to prioritize and juggle all the various needs. Also, they mess up sometimes. :o

Also BTW, this is a user-to-user forum, so you're not directly addressing EN, though their staff do look in periodically.

@VivienKa - EN has hundreds of features. EN is a great app. Even you said, "for a moment, it was like a great app". - - - Have you considered if you might be throwing the baby out because of dirty bath water?

3 minutes ago, Analyst444 said:

@VivienKa - EN has hundreds of features. EN is a great app. Even you said, "for a moment, it was like a great app". - - - Have you considered if you might be throwing the baby out because of dirty bath water?

Not as far as I'm concerned. I like bacon in my salad. At least to have the option. Don't get me wrong, EN looks to be a delicious salad but to exclude the option of bacon? Madness. 

9 hours ago, Johan Talboom said:

Nope you still can not rearrange your notebooks simple.

Note that the topic here is rearranging notes in arbitrary order, not notebooks. If you want to be able to rearrange notebooks, you should make  a separate request in the Product Feedback forum for that feature.

I would really love to see a feature where i can manually sort notes by "importance" and seperately by "urgency". The user could send a note to the top of one of the lists by the press of one button. That would be awesome :D

@Neyghey - This strikes me as a good situation in which to use Tags.

Create some Tags like ImportanceHigh, ImportanceMedium, ImportanceLow, UrgencyHigh, UrgencyMedium, and UrgencyLow.

Assign them to Notes as you see fit.

Create Shortcuts for each Tag or combinations, thereof, as you see fit.

Turn on "Remember View Settings" for particular cases.

Select the Shortcut that fits you needs at any particular point in time. Evernote will find the appropriate set of Notes, sort them as you like, and present your desired view.

Modify the Tag for any Note and Evernote will effectively "move" the Note to the appropriate list.

I hope you feel this helps.

• Like 1

@Analyst444 Thanks for the suggestion, but what if i want to sort 500 ToDos by importance, 100 of them have high importance, but i still would like to do the most important first...? i would have to use tags Imp00001, Imp00002, Imp00003 etc... and if another note becomes the most important i have to change 00001 to 00002 and so on :D my suggestion was a follow up on the manual sort thing only because i feel that even one manual sorting criterium wouldn't be enough for me,  i would need at least two, but an unlimited number would be great...

But thanks again for your quick answer :) 

1 hour ago, Neyghey said:

I would really love to see a feature where i can manually sort notes by "importance" and seperately by "urgency". The user could send a note to the top of one of the lists by the press of one button. That would be awesome :D

I switch to title sequence, and I control my note sequence using a prefix on the title

For example "-project aaaa" causes my project master note to be at the top

"+task bbbb" causes my task notes to be next

"++next action cccc" causes my next action tasks to be at the top of my tasks

@Neyghey - Here are a couple thoughts. (3) below may be the most important.

(1) There were at least 2 times in the past that I tried to categorize many (500?) Tasks (Notes) by "importance". I found that I couldn't effectively do it. I was spending too much time looking over each of the Tasks (Notes) to review/redefine each's level of "Importance". If you can make it work, you are a more capable person that I. --- I would have spent an inordinate amount of time, even if I could have sorted the Tasks (Notes) manually.

(2) Never the less, if you feel the need to review/redefine the "Importance" of many Tasks (Notes), then an approach that still uses Tags is to create another Tag that defines "Priority" (sequence). The way to avoid reassigning values for many Tasks (Notes) at one time is to use a scheme for the "Priority" Tag like this:

• Priority00100
  • Priority00200
  • Priority00300
  • Priority00400
  • Priority00500
  • etc.

Then, when you want to set the "Priority" of a Task (Note) to be between the first two, give it a value of Priority00150. --- The point is to think of defining a Task (Note) as "Important" as different than defining the sequence in which to work on Tasks (Notes).

(3) DTLow and I have offered a some ideas how to implement schemes for sorting Evenote Notes. But, perhaps, an even more important concept to share is that there are other criteria upon which to decide the sequence upon which to work on Tasks (Notes). One criterion I have used is "Urgency". Just because a Task (Note) is "Important", doesn't mean it is "Urgent". A simple scheme to help explain this would be to create a set of Tags like this:

• ImportantAndUrgent
  • NotImportantAndUrgent
  • ImportantAndNotUrgent
  • NotIMportantAndNotUrgent
Then, Tags Notes (tasks) as is appropriate.

First, work on those Notes (tasks) with the first Tag.

Then, work on those Notes (tasks) with the second Tag.

Then, the third Tag.

If you've got your life under control, then you will never take the time to work on those Notes (tasks) with the 4th Tag.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Neyghey said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but what if i want to sort 500 ToDos by importance, 100 of them have high importance, but i still would like to do the most important first...? i would have to use tags Imp00001, Imp00002, Imp00003 etc... and if another note becomes the most important i have to change 00001 to 00002 and so on :D my suggestion was a follow up on the manual sort thing only because i feel that even one manual sorting criterium wouldn't be enough for me,  i would need at least two, but an unlimited number would be great...

As a point of practicality, sorting 500 to-dos is a fool's game. Don't do it. You cannot do 500 things at once, so focus on the top few; the rest don't matter. Grade them into several buckets, e.g.: critical, high, medium, low, using tags, and then attack the critical ones. By the time you're done with those, you may have more todos, or the remaining todos may have changed priority, so reload from the next highest bucket, and repeat. Spend your time doing things, not calculating priorities.

• Like 3

@Analyst444 re(1) You are probably right. I am just looking for a way to get a hold of my Tasks again, without forgetting important ones in the Process. Normally I am working with reminders: I have two Priority tags: asap and wzi (Wenn Zeit ist; its german for when i got time) every asap got to have a due date. This is a good solution for when you got your life under control, but currently i find myself rescheduling everyday, today my "overdue" savedSearch has 349 items. So i was searching for a better Solution...see re(3)

re(2) thanks for the suggestion, i never thought of that approach.

re(3) Yeah, i saw this method mentioned before, probably in one of your posts. I think its the most efficient way for me and i am going to implement that.

@jefito you are right too, thanks for confirming that my approach has no future. Honestly, i never thought that i would ever have that many ASAPs to do. As long as it was 20-30 ASAPs, my approach was running pretty smoothly. But now that i have to "jump back on the waggon" as David Allen would put it, i think i have to rethink my methods.

Thank both you guys for taking the time and trying to help me. :) 

• Like 1

@Neyghey - One follow-on thought. You mentioned ASAPs 3-4 times in your prior post.

When I was working, I found that bosses, peers, and other people would bring me assignments / tasks / things to do. They would present their need with this emotional sense of "urgency" and they labeled it as ASAP. It took me a few years to catch on, but most of the time, I was rarely given a due date for those ASAPs. The requester rarely indicated that the need had to be fulfilled by a particular date. So, I switched my policy for prioritizing my work. If no due date was given, I categorized the ASAP as not urgent and it would go to the bottom of the list with the other, no due date ASAPs. 

You mentioned that "every ASAP has got to have a due date". If your bosses, peers, others are giving you the due dates, then you will have to roll with punches. But, if you are assigning the due dates, then I'd say you are causing yourself more stress that what is needed.

As jefito clearly said, somehow you've got to narrow your focus.

• Like 1

@Neyghey

Did you ever look at the The Secret Weapon?  Not sure it is worth following its precepts to the letter, but one thing I plucked from it was the priority hierarchy concept.  

ASAPs for me are tagged with !1-Now, and from there I go to !2-Next, !3-Soon, !4-Later, !5-Someday, !6-Waiting, and !7- Read.  All of the tags are preceded by !# so that they sort in the tag drop down and list views.  The discipline as @jefito says is to clear some of the !1-Now's before adding anything to that "pool" of work.  

I also use reminders for some tasks that are specifically date sensitive.  I end up looking at two searches, one for !1-Now and one for date, but it works from me.  With two clicks on saved searches I get date sensitive items and otherwise important items.  FWIW.

• Like 1

Thanks again @Analyst444, i AM probably causing myself more stress than is needed, as i said, as long as it was a manageable amount of important tasks, it went pretty smoothly... I realise that we are going a little bit off topic in this thread, but i would have one more question:

you mentioned you are working with Important vs urgent... on which criteria do you decide, what is urgent and what not? An example: above @csihilling mentioned The Secret Weapon. I clicked on the link, decided it was interesting, but was at work at the time and had no time to really dig into it, so i clipped it to my Inbox. now i am processing it and i don't know if it is urgent or not. My instinct says, that everything that, if not done by a specific due date, produces some kind of consequences is urgent. But if the technique could improve my workflow and help me eliminate my overdues, the consequence is more stress, which is the main thing i want to eliminate. 

My fear is that, as soon as i implement your method, i want to label everything ImportantAndUrgent, the same way i now tag (nearly) everything ASAP and schedule it for tomorrow or next week in order to not forget about it...any ideas?

Ps: how do you guys mention another user in a post? when i write @Analyst444, it does not get that fancy EN-green highlight...BTW: thanks to you too @csihilling for your link and support

57 minutes ago, Neyghey said:

My fear is that, as soon as i implement your method, i want to label everything ImportantAndUrgent, the same way i now tag (nearly) everything ASAP and schedule it for tomorrow or next week in order to not forget about it...any ideas?

Ps: how do you guys mention another user in a post? when i write @Analyst444, it does not get that fancy EN-green highlight...BTW: thanks to you too @csihilling for your link and support

You are welcome.  Nobody knows your priorities better than you.  

From a process perspective you could set an arbitrary limit on the number of ASAP tasks you will allow, say 5 or 10. This will force you to pick the most important tasks.  Then don't add anything to the pool out of process unless some catastrophe item appears.  Work the pool down and take it back to 10 when all the ASAPs are done or refresh to 10 during your review cycle (end of day maybe).  Try not to worry about the non-ASAP tasks, you will get to them.  You can also set a limit on your next items if you like.  This will give you a quick view as to what should be added to ASAP next.  If you make an error in assigning priority, just change it.  

To get the name to show in green you have to select if from the drop down.

Image.png.14c4c0b7cdc5d9960502c769c1314b76.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neyghey said:

you mentioned you are working with Important vs urgent

A concept to pare your task list to a manageable level, is Next Action from GTD (Getting Things Done)

Yes, your project has 200 tasks, but you don't need to obsess on 199 of them.  

Identify the Next Action, and focus on that task

When you complete that task, identify the new Next Action and focus on that

• Like 1

@csihilling, @DTLow, @Analyst444, (Ha, it worked, me as an old copy-paster did overlook that functionality :) ) Just wanted to tell you that I love this Community, it's really helpful and friendly compared to other software-specific Coms out there...

Of course I know GTD, its what got me to start using EN in the first place. The problem is that i currently have 200 projects rather than 200 tasks in one Project. But i guess the concept can be applied to that as well...

With your knowledge and support, i am confident that i'll be back on the wagon in no time. Thanks to all of you, i hope you are allright,

Ney

@Neyghey - You asked about criteria for defining Urgency. Here is an approach.
  • If you can complete the task in less than 2 minutes, do it now. Don't even waste time categorizing it as Urgent. Do it and then delete it.
  • If the task clearly needs to be done today or tomorrow, categorize it as Urgent and start working on it now.
  • If no other person has imposed a Due Date on you, categorize the task as NotUrgent and go work on the ImportantAndUrgent tasks.

Once you've got all tasks categorized as Urgent or NotUrgent, you more than likely have several tasks categorized as ImportantAndUrgent. The issue immediately becomes, "In what sequence do you work on those tasks?" --- Here is a relatively simple approach. (In one sense, sequencing also helps define Urgency.)

I suggest there are 4 factors to take into consideration for each ImportantAndUrgent task:
  1. Tasks Dependencies. Do you need to wait for one or more other tasks to be completed before starting on a task? If yes, then, obviously, this is not the tasks to work on first.

2. Task Slack Time - This is the difference between (A) The number of days or hours you are scheduled to work before the Due Date of the task and (B) The number of days or hours it will take you to complete the task. Estimate (in your mind) each task's slack time. For example, if the Due Date is 10 days out and you will plan on working 9 of those days (A), and a task requires 2 days of your time (B), then the task's slack time is 7. --- Tasks with smaller slack times need to be worked on before those with larger slack times. --- If a task has negative slack time, you are in trouble. You can't get it done in time. In addition, working on one task may not leave you with enough time to complete some other tasks by its Due Date. --- Depending the nature of your work and number of tasks, you may need a more elaborate scheduling system.

3. Pecking Order - Completing something for your boss (or a customer) is more important than completing something for a peer (or a supplier). Hedge your bets when it comes to the sequence of tasks.

4. Availability of Other People - If you need help from other people to complete a task, then you should at least start such tasks (and determine the availability of those other people) before starting tasks that you can do on your own.

It takes time and experience to be able to quickly evaluate the above criteria and resolve any apparent conflicts resulting from the evaluation. The objective is not to sequence all of the ImportantAndUrgent tasks, but only the first 2-4 to be worked on. Once those are completed, things will have changed and the sequence of the other tasks will likely need to be changed.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neyghey said:

nt that i'll be back on the wagon in no time. Thanks to all of you, i hope you are allright,

You are welcome.  Hope you get it sorted.  :)

• Like 1

I've been using Evernote every day for many years and so have a ton of notes across many notebooks. So far, so good. What I think would be really helpful though, would be the ability to pin notes that I'm currently working on or, want quick access to, but for which I don't want to create a separate notebook as it's not about reorganising where they live, it's about access to them and possible relationships to notes in other notebooks. Pinned notes would remain within their respective notebooks and their order on the pin board are managed by me. For example, I'm working on two projects and in amongst lots of day to day updates to existing notes and the creation of new ones. I have a presentation coming up which I will be looking to references items from both of those projects. Those items are also not necessarily part of my day to day work and so they quickly disappear in the list as updated or new notes take precedence. The pin board would be a prominent button on the tool bar. The pins could display post it note style and can be moved around so that I can show hierarchy and relationships between notes. Pinned notes are not copied or duplicated so I can update them from the pin board or from their respective notebook. I know I can do something like this using tags though that doesn't really give me the experience I'm looking for. 

ROKO

3 hours ago, ROKO said:

I've been using Evernote every day for many years and so have a ton of notes across many notebooks. So far, so good. What I think would be really helpful though, would be the ability to pin notes that I'm currently working on or, want quick access to

Have you looked at the Shortcuts section

I actually have too many notes that I want "pinned" so instead I use a tag (!Hot Notes) that I apply to notes I want quick access to
The tag is "pinned" at the top of my shortcuts

• Like 1

Tag + shortcut: this is a canonical Evernote technique; simple and effective. Tags can cut across notebooks, so notes need not be moved around.

Thanks both - solved it. Need to go to the sidebar, select "tags" and then drag the tag from their into shortcuts. Could be easier / more intuitive but at least its functioning. R

6 hours ago, ROKO said:

Thanks both - solved it. Need to go to the sidebar, select "tags" and then drag the tag from their into shortcuts. Could be easier / more intuitive but at least its functioning. R

If you right click on a tag you get a context menu with Add to Shortcuts as an option.

• Like 1

Suggestion Box Submission

It is nice to keep the most Updated notes at the top of the Notebook in Snippet View, but it would be really nice to push-pin the most important Note to the top ... and all the updated ones continue to jockey for the top under it.  The most important notes may not be updated that often mostly as a point of reference.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I realize this is an old thread, but I'd like to add my vote for a more flexible pinning feature. As a writer, I use Evernote constantly (and I mean constantly!) in my work. I create dedicated notebooks for my larger pieces and commit one note in each to organization. While I can use the reminder feature or add the note to Shortcuts, pinning seems such a universally useful feature, I would think it would be given more consideration. I'll certainly include my vote in any discussions of its implementation. Surely it can't be that difficult to add to the Evernote feature set.

• Like 3

Ever since discovering Evernote years ago, it has become an all-pervasive part of my personal and professional computing life. During that time, a feature I have continually felt the lack of (like a missing tooth you can't stop probing at with your tongue) is the ability to pin notes to the top of notebooks. As a writer who dedicates a note for organization on each project, it is a no-brainer. I'm sure would have great value in other fields. I know there are workarounds (the Reminder feature, adding to Shortcuts) and that if every suggestion in this forum were pursued, Evernote would be aiming at replacing every creative, organizational, and communication tool we use (Hey! That's an idea!), but this is such an obviously valuable feature and one I can't help to believe would be relatively easy to implement, that I puzzle at Evernote's neglect to seriously address it.

So, Evernote, take a look at the changing landscape: If I Google "Evernote pin a note to top of notebook", I get over 700K results, the overwhelming majority of which (as far as I browsed the pages of results) lead to forums discussing the feature.

If I limit the results to the past month, the first page is filled with headlines like "5 Alternatives to Evernote", "9 Promising Replacements for Evernote" or links to MS OneNote.

This may seem like a minor issue, Evernote, but please note (!) the competitors at your heels, smelling blood on the trail.

The odd thing about Evernote is that although it has millions of very happy users,  a significant proportion of them have just that one thing that's such an 'obvious' feature it's inconceivable that it should have been ignored.  Unfortunately those thousands of 'obvious' features are mostly completely different - some impossible to implement on all the devices on which Evernote works.  The test is going to be how many votes this feature gets (remembering that there are several ways around the issue from dates to titles...)

Good luck!

Hey Evernote Team

It would be so great to be able to pin notes to the top of a notebook. For example, I'm a student and I'd love to be able to easily refer to the study guide whenever I'm in my -- for example -- maths notebook. Using shortcuts isn't an option because this will only clutter up and shortcuts and block me from getting to stuff I actually want there. 

Think Spark's ability to Pin Emails to the top of the page. 

You got this!

Jonathan

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 7.15.11 PM.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Michael Copeland said:

It would be so great to be able to pin notes to the top of a notebook.

There's other requests asking for this.

My solution is to switch to title sequence and manipulate the title; for example a prefix of - ensures the note appears at the top of any list

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Michael Copeland said:

Thanks Jefito, this works perfectly! I still think there should be a feature for this, but this will do until then!

Good to hear it. I like pinned reminders (at least in the Windows client) because the reminders list can be closed, and it can be sorted independently of the note list it appears over, including arbitrary user-chosen ordering.

On 2016-5-2 at 11:31 PM, lrainaldi said:

Is there a way to "pin" a note to the top of a notebook. My notes sort by most recent edit which I love. But I would like to have one note stay at the top, like TOC or summary.

Any ideas?

YES! ME TOO!! it could be a TOC or simply a note that provides relevant information regarding that notebook, or maybe a guide for the use of that notebook (when shared), etc, etc. A reminder is for tasks, also a shortcut does not cut it :))). This is not what shortcuts are for (in fact, the pinning feature is useful precisely to avoid having to use shortcuts or links, which by the way are very useful for other notes).

3 hours ago, Fuecisla said:

This is not what shortcuts are for (in fact, the pinning feature is useful precisely to avoid having to use shortcuts or links, which by the way are very useful for other notes).

What do you think shortcuts are for?  Not trying to be argumentative, just curious.  In my mind, shortcuts are a pinning feature, and a pretty flexible one especially when combined with saved searches.

3 hours ago, Fuecisla said:

it could be a TOC or simply a note that provides relevant information regarding that notebook, or maybe a guide for the use of that notebook (when shared), etc, etc. A reminder is for tasks, also a shortcut does not cut it :)))

I really only use one main notebook so Notebook pinning wouldn't be very useful to me

But I do have notes I want at the top of the list; for example the project master note in a project review
I agree the shortcut/reminder solution doesn't "cut it"
My solution is to make use of the title sort sequence and manipulate note titles
For example, "-Master Note" sorts at the top
Manipulating the note dates also works for other sort sequences

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

What do you think shortcuts are for?  Not trying to be argumentative, just curious.  In my mind, shortcuts are a pinning feature, and a pretty flexible one especially when combined with saved searches.

hmmm... As I see it, shortcuts (links) take you to a note that may be anywhere in a long list of notes where such note would be difficult or tedious to look for. You click your shortcut and there you are! However, pinning a note makes it stay always on top of your list whatever order you have set, you do not need to call for it. It is like a shortcut 2.0.

Of course, they are compatible, but not the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I really only use one main notebook so Notebook pinning wouldn't be very useful to me

But I do have notes I want at the top of the list; for example the project master note in a project review
I agree the shortcut/reminder solution doesn't "cut it"
My solution is to make use of the title sort sequence and manipulate note titles
For example, "-Master Note" sorts at the top
Manipulating the note dates also works for other sort sequences

You can use symbols as you do not only for ordering notes, I do it to organise tags. "." for project names tags, "@" for person tags, "!" for subject tags, "-" for places tags.

Given that I use symbols for other purposes, when using alphabetical sorting I like using a cero + hyphen, "0 -", but it does not work if you want to order by dates. This allows you to have 2 (or more) alphabetic sorted lists in one.

1 hour ago, Fuecisla said:

hmmm... As I see it, shortcuts (links) take you to a note that may be anywhere in a long list of notes where such note would be difficult or tedious to look for. You click your shortcut and there you are! However, pinning a note makes it stay always on top of your list whatever order you have set, you do not need to call for it. It is like a shortcut 2.0.

Of course, they are compatible, but not the same.

Ok, I think I see your point.  Thanks for the explanation.  In my mind you still have to click on either the pinned note or the shortcut to see the contents of the note, so they seem the same to me, but I think you are saying that you also want the content of the note to be pinned at the top and always visible, and not just the snippet or title. 

In a number of Evernote scenarios, adding a reminder to a note will "pin" it to the top of its note list (including when you are viewing it in notebooks). I use reminders for this purpose.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jefito said:

In a number of Evernote scenarios, adding a reminder to a note will "pin" it to the top of its note list (including when you are viewing it in notebooks). I use reminders for this purpose.

.... in Snippet list view ....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, csihilling said:

.... in Snippet list view ....

Are there any other view types? :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jefito said:

Are there any other view types? :) 

Let me think, only better ones?  :P

• Like 2

Here we are, three years after the initial request, trying various hacks for what should be a relatively simple feature.

I'm on a Mac, so no amount of futzing around with Reminders is going to do me any good, as the Mac Version is several YEARS behind the Windows version.

Please add pinned notes.

• Thanks 2

Adding a reminder to a note does NOTHING on the Mac version, which is stuck in 2013 or so.

Please add pinned notes.

1 minute ago, Dave Land said:

Adding a reminder to a note does NOTHING on the Mac version, which is stuck in 2013 or so.

Please add pinned notes.

Adding a reminder to a note ensures the note is listed in the Reminder Section at the top of the note list

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Adding a reminder to a note ensures the note is listed in the Reminder Section at the top of the note list

… on the Mac version …

There is no "Reminder Section," as far as I can tell, on the Mac version of Evernote, but if you know how to reveal it (and your GURU status suggests that you do), bring it on!

Thanks in advance.

16 minutes ago, Dave Land said:

… on the Mac version …

There is no "Reminder Section," as far as I can tell, on the Mac version of Evernote, but if you know how to reveal it (and your GURU status suggests that you do), bring it on!

Personally I never liked this work-around593885ab8ab5e_ScreenShot2017-06-07at3_58_27PM.png.2938ea8063c256bedd5cd62b57779184.png.a5e56f34be6d595c1f40d5a61a3c2202.png
My Reminder Section is full of .......reminders

I'm not a fan of "pinning"
I assign a prefix to notes to control my note sequence (title sequence)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

593885ab8ab5e_ScreenShot2017-06-07at3_58_27PM.png.2938ea8063c256bedd5cd62b57779184.png

1. Thank you for reminding me ;) that that feature is there.
    In all the time I've been using Evernote, I never saw it. Thanks!
    (I expected to see it in the sidebar, so I wasn't looking in the right place!)
  2. I'm grateful that Evernote lets you show it in some notebooks, not others.
    Nice user experience touch on their part.
  3. “My Reminder Section is full of .......reminders”
    Cool for you! Mine isn't. Not everyone wants the same thing or works the same way.
  4. “I'm not a fan of "pinning"”
    Awesome! I am, as it turns out. It would be nice to not have to "spend" reminders to get this one feature.
  5. You evidently sort by title.
    Great! I sort by most-recently-updated, and use prefixes for other things. To each his own!

This would be VERY useful.  

Or at least a 'description' box (or 'memo' pop-up sticky-thing) where you can include priority content. 

I agree. 

On 8/24/2017 at 12:34 AM, Bienne said:

Or at least a 'description' box (or 'memo' pop-up sticky-thing) where you can include priority content. 

I use the shortcut section for priority notes.  Individual notes, and a "Hot Notes" tag that I can use for quick access

• Like 2

Dear Sirs,

I usually grab ideas, webpages, documents, etc., into Evernote in order to prepare some material for my classes.

As a part of this, I write a first note with the purpose of that notebook and the list of projects that should be done with that info. It would be very useful if I could pin this note at the top of the notebook so I can always focus the work on that notebook on those tasks and projects, otherwise it happens that this note is buried by any new webpage, article or else that comes to that notebook.

In summary, pinning a note on any notebook is a very useful feature that can enhance Evernote. I hope other users think the same and can promote this as a feature to be included in a nextcoming version.

Best regards!

dahz

13 hours ago, dahz said:

As a part of this, I write a first note with the purpose of that notebook and the list of projects that should be done with that info. It would be very useful if I could pin this note at the top of the notebook

Pinning is not a feature, except for the Shortcuts and Reminder sections.  edited - see @jefito below re: Windows

I use Tags instead of Notebooks, but I also need to control the note sequence

You can search the forums for other posts on this subject.  
My solution is to adjust the dates or title so the note automatically sorts to the top of the list

You will get better information if you say what platform(s) you are using Evernote on. The Windows Evernote client does have the ability to pin certain notes to the top of a notebook.

There should be a way to pin a note to the top, so that it always stays at the top of your note list.

• Like 3

Yes would be good if this was implemented and not have to do workarounds for this..

On 2017-09-27 at 12:56 PM, TKOP said:

There should be a way to pin a note to the top, so that it always stays at the top of your note list.

I moved this to the general forum - I don't think the request is specific to the Windows platform
If you search the forums, you'll se there are other requests for Pinning Notes; we didn't need a new discussion

On 2017-09-27 at 9:10 PM, Manya70 said:

Yes would be good if this was implemented and not have to do workarounds for this..

What work-arounds are you using?

My work-around is adjusting the title or dates so the note is sorted to the top of the list.
For example,
- Prefixing the title with "-"
- Setting the date to 2099/01/01

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

I moved this to the general forum - I don't think the request is specific to the Windows platform
If you search the forums, you'll se there are other requests for Pining Notes; we didn't need a new discussion

What work-arounds are you using?

I Just add ! to the Note title then Sort on Title..  eg. !This Weeks Meeting Notes

For the Windows client, if you use snippet, card, or thumbnail view, notes that have reminders are pinned to the top of the note list, in a second reminder list. reminder list can be sorted by date, or ordered arbitrarily. List view users are out of luck.

On 9/28/2017 at 4:16 AM, jefito said:

For the Windows client, if you use snippet, card, or thumbnail view, notes that have reminders are pinned to the top of the note list, in a second reminder list. reminder list can be sorted by date, or ordered arbitrarily. List view users are out of luck.

For Windows users, just make it a shorcut, then have the shortcut bar shown across the top, not down the side. I have about 7 "pinned" notes, and saved searches, and notebooks, that I always have access to regardless of my view, sort status, or even what notebook I am in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EdH said:

For Windows users, just make it a shorcut, then have the shortcut bar shown across the top, not down the side. I have about 7 "pinned" notes, and saved searches, and notebooks, that I always have access to regardless of my view, sort status, or even what notebook I am in.

That works, too, if you have a relatively small number of notes that you want to pin. I almost always use snippet view and have a fair number of reminder notes, some dated and some not, and I like the sorting / filtering ability that carries over into reminder notes, so that's why I use that. Good suggestion.

I wish there was a way to be able to organize your notes in a specific order as well as an option to pin a note to the top somehow so that it's always clickable when you open a notebook instead of having to search it or clutter up your shortcuts

It would be great to be able to PIN a Note to the top of the sorting list to use it as template.

Also, was kinda difficult to get here, where I can just share a suggestion/feedback/idea.

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 2017-10-31 at 10:55 AM, Kristen Crane said:

I wish there was a way to be able to organize your notes in a specific order as well as an option to pin a note to the top

An option is to adjust the dates or prefix the titles so they automatically sort to the top

Hi Evernote,

I've been using evernote for 5 years and then comes **another product from competitor** and introduces note coloring and note pinning and it's suddenly so intuitive to use!

Here are the suggestions:

1. background color of the note snippets (only snippets) so they can be easily distinguished by color in the list of notes inside the notebook. The background of the note itself doesn't change so it doesn't become hard to read. As one exception, a title space of the note can have the same color as the note snippet to connect style of the note to the snippet.
  2. pin notes to the top of the notebook - this is such a no brainer! There are notes which just must be on top all the time, period, while other notes must follow normal sorting pattern.

Evernote is much more powerful than alternatives but its interface is still a pain.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

George

Hi.  Interesting post - we're mostly friendly here,  what's the 'other product' that's so intuitive?

On 10/3/2017 at 3:14 PM, jefito said:

That works, too, if you have a relatively small number of notes that you want to pin. I almost always use snippet view and have a fair number of reminder notes, some dated and some not, and I like the sorting / filtering ability that carries over into reminder notes, so that's why I use that. Good suggestion.

Why if you just created a tag "reminders", and then added the "reminders" tag to the bar across the top for fast access?

Possibly a duplicate? But Tags does seem like a workaround (and you can pin the tag to the top)

2 hours ago, CraigZ said:

Why if you just created a tag "reminders", and then added the "reminders" tag to the bar across the top for fast access?

???

Una opción que permita fijar notas para mantenerlas siempre arriba de las listas de las Libretas.

An option that allows to pin up notes to keep them always on top in the notebooks lists.

It would be extremely helpful to be able to pin a note or notes to the top of my list so they’re not constantly getting lost among updated notes. I realize I can use tags or add them to the shortcut menu, but that does me no good on mobile when I’m looking at all notes, which is how I’m using Evernote 95% of the time. Pinning a note to the top would allow me to prioritize a note at my leisure without shuffling around my organization; I could then remove that priority at any time and carry on. This would be helpful, for example, if you have notes that trigger thoughts or reminders that serve as visual cues. I would use this feature regularly on the mobile app.

• Like 1

Hello.

It's my first time I ever wrote English post in the forum. So i'm afraid my English skill might not fits in your senses. I hope you could understand what I was trying to appeal. And if there's something disturb you in my post, please let me know. I will adjust it.

Evernote is such a nice program. I scrap everything I like in evernote by web clipper, write everything that comes up to my mind. While I write at least 20 notes a day, The number of my notes has became quite too many. Now I have 8000+ notes in my evernote. And I even subscribed to the premium account thanks to the student sale. 

I usually divide my notes in various notebooks according to the projects or topics. And each projects and topics has somewhat more important notes than the other notes contained in the same notebook. For example, A note that contains every single link of the other notes. But options I could choose to align my notes is very limited. by the title, by the time it's modified, the day this note has been created... etc. So I'm experiencing some hardship in aligning my notes. 

Evernote already has bookmark function to dealing with this aligning matter. But it is very global, regardless of which notebook they belong to. Bookmark function is not enough for me. People that has too many notes but using it not just to archive things, but to organize their thoughts and divide their effort needs something more than bookmark. 

So I was hoping that if you could add sticky notes function for each notebooks. Just like sticky threads that always remain at the top of this forum. I guess in this forum, it's called 'pinned'. 

If I could pin some notes in my notebooks, it would be very comfortable. So I suggest you this function. What do you think about it?

Thanks for your patience, and your attention. 

ScreenClip.png

As possible workarounds until then:

• Use the Reminder function. This "pins" items at the top of the note lists.
  • Set the creation date (desktop only) into the future → sort notes by date created

11 hours ago, TRIUM said:

So I was hoping that if you could add sticky notes function for each notebooks. Just like sticky threads that always remain at the top of this forum. I guess in this forum, it's called 'pinned'. 

If I could pin some notes in my notebooks, it would be very comfortable. So I suggest you this function. What do you think about it?

Evernote has two sections where you can pin notes; Reminders and Shortcuts

For the other sections, I work with the existing sort features; title, create date, modification date
I adjust these fields so the notes are always sorted to the top of the list

Been doing some digging around and I'm surprised this still isn't an implemented feature.  Besides changing the date (which will be edited everytime the note is), you figure this would be a useful thing for notes such as tasks (that you need to reference daily).

Anyone have any tips in that regard?

• Like 1

On 2018-01-14 at 8:32 AM, richford said:

Been doing some digging around and I'm surprised this still isn't an implemented feature.  Besides changing the date (which will be edited everytime the note is), you figure this would be a useful thing for notes such as tasks (that you need to reference daily).

Anyone have any tips in that regard?

Work-arounds are
- change the note's creation date and sort on creation date (it does not get edited everytime the note is)
- add a prefix to the title, and sort on title

The fact that users can't pin notes is shameful in my view. This is so simple to resolve. So weird

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Heynando said:

The fact that users can't pin notes is shameful in my view.

shameful??

Note, "pinning" is available in the Shortcut and Reminders sections; users have shared their solutions in this discussion

>>This is so simple to resolve. So weird

Please share.  What's the process for resolving this?

Agreed. The mobile experience leaves much to be desired. 

FYI the Reminders feature can be used as a kind of pin. Just set a reminder on the note and it will show up at the top of the list in the Reminders section (as well as below). It will ask you to choose a date and time for the reminder but you can just tap outside of that to just set a reminder with no date. 

Annoying thing though is that if you have any reminders set with dates those notes will show up above notes that have reminders with no dates. Honestly I think there just needs to be a separate pin function, completely independent of reminders. A pin function that works like the one in Apple notesor Google Keep does.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jyc23 said:

Annoying thing though is that if you have any reminders set with dates those notes will show up above notes that have reminders with no dates

In the Windows client, at least (since nobody has specified which Evernote client this pertains to), you can sort the reminder list by Date (which does indeed sort reminders with actual data above reminders with no date) or not, in which case you can move reminders to arbitrary locations in the list (so sorting by hand). I find reminders to be very handy, but, like keeping  extra tabs open in your browser, having too many of them kinda defeats the purpose. I do actually prefer sort-by-date, as that puts reminder notes that I have specific dates for up front, as opposed to reminders that don't, which for me are a sort of bookmarky, get-to-it-sometime kind of marker (i.e. lower priority). YMMV, per usual.

So I use the mobile version for IOS. I’m mobile probably 90% of the time using Evernote, and on occasion I’m on the laptop. But on mobile, i use the All Notes view since I’m usually in a rush and just want to access everything real quick. When I set a reminder to a note, it doesn’t bump it to the top of my list as mentioned above. Doesn’t matter if I set a date or not; all it does is ping it to go to the Reminders folder if I’m sorting. I don’t sort or have time to sort on mobile—I want to jump in and out within All Notes. Hence the reason for this original post—it would be nice to be able to pin a note to the top of that All Notes list and unpin it when I’m done using it as a priority. Sure we can organize folders and reminders and sort and use shortcuts and I can eventually have a two to three click system if I want, but it’s not practical for me on mobile. Works great on laptop when I have more time but not mobile. Just my experience.

I added my vote

This is not just a mobile issue.  
The request is to flag notes so they automatically appear at the top of any list regardless of sort sequence

• Like 1

I agree about having a push-pin / priority list.

The reminder idea is fine... but I have four team members who are technically challenged as it is. I'm trying hard to encourage them to use EN, and I don't think  they will remember about using reminders.. plus it's confusing, since one doesn't want to make a reminder, but instead make a priority list. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 5:02 PM, DTLow said:

>>This is so simple to resolve. So weird

Please share.  What's the process for resolving this?

I read your question as antagonizing, not sure whether that's correct. Just in case: One very simple solution is to add another column in the note database for pinning. And then do two search queries instead of one when you retrieve the data to display, like this:

SELECT Title FROM Notes WHERE Pinned="True" ORDER BY Date DESC;
SELECT Title FROM Notes WHERE Pinned="False" ORDER BY Date DESC;

It's an easy fix. There might be more elegant ways of solving it, but this was just top of mind.

13 hours ago, infectious said:

One very simple solution is to add another column in the note database for pinning. And then do two search queries instead of one when you retrieve the data to display

I was hoping for a simple solution; changing the database and UI is complicated and beyond the skills of the average user

That's how Evernote does pinning in the Reminder Section (another column)
The column is called Reminder Order; and contains a value to indicate the pinning sequence

7 hours ago, infectious said:

One very simple solution is to add another column in the note database for pinning. And then do two search queries instead of one when you retrieve the data to display, like this:

Always remember that Evernote is a cloud service. The note database is a local cache of the account information stored in the Evernote servers. There is no "pinned" designation in Evernote at this time, so what you're really suggesting is a local change to the Windows client that would not ripple through your global Evernote account. In other words, a note pinned in your Windows client wouldn't be pinned, say, on your phone, unless the changes were made to Evernote's architecture and API (and the phone's Evernote application).

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/

Spaces (currently in public beta for Evernote Business) have a pinned notes feature. We do want to bring spaces to personal accounts too, lots of us want to use them on our personal accounts as well :P

As for pinning within notebooks, reminders work fine. We have some shared notebooks internally that definitely use reminders this way, like to pin a "Table of Contents" note in a large notebook.

4 minutes ago, rezecib said:

Spaces (currently in public beta for Evernote Business) have a pinned notes feature

Thanks for the news.  I'm looking forward to using the Spaces feature.

>As for pinning within notebooks, reminders work fine.

It's an option and works for some users.  Personally, my Reminders section is full of   ....  reminders

Reminders don't display in "List" view, so that's out.

Using a prefix would work but only when sorted by name, and in the correct Notebook, so that's out too.

Using a shortcut would work but your note has to have a short name otherwise it takes up too much shortcut real-estate and you can't rename a shortcut. But it still interferes with workflow because if you have just created a complicated search then click on the "pinned" note-as-a-shortcut your entire list changes. So that's out.

I use tags 0, 1 and 2 and keep important "pinned" notes as 1. But that's a filter, and like using a shortcut, it will interfere with workflow by changing the list. So that's out.

So yes, there are multiple ways around "pinned" notes, but none of them are true "pinned" notes.

Add me to the list of people who would love this functionality.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lisec said:

Using a prefix would work but only when sorted by name,

Since you identified this solution, I'll point out that notes may also be sorted by date.
The Win/Mac platforms allow adjustment to the note dates
You might want to cover all three sort sequences

edited: There are six sort sequences when ascending/descending is considered
              Adjusting the title/date can't conver both ascending/descending

Just now, DTLow said:

Since you identified this solution, I'll point out that notes may also be sorted by date.
The Win/Mac platforms allow adjustment to the note dates
You might want to cover all three sequences

I would not consider changing the date daily on a note a viable solution. I would need a pinned note to remind me to change the date on the pinned note ;-)

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not daily - only when the note is created or modified

For example, in descending update sequence, the note dated 2099/12/31 will be listed at the top

ah, a future date. Right.