2019 Calendar Templates Read more... ×
Scruffy Dog

Pin notes to the top of notebook

Idea

Hi all,

I like to use my notepads like websites and usually have one note that acts like the homepage of a website which is used to navigate to other notes in the notebook. It would be nice if I could have this "homepage" note pinned permanently to the top of the notebook browser.

Cheers

• Like 4

63 replies to this idea

Thanks @CalS!

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting the ability to pin notes to the top of a notebook have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for the ability to pin notes to the top of a notebook here!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

This topic seems more like "anarchy and chaos"

Do reminders "pin" in the Mac client? They do in some note views of the Windows client, and that works well for me.

• Like 1

Just an fyi; Evernote is rolling out a new Spaces feature.  It allows for pinning notes

• Thanks 1

Obvious workarounds - use a reminder,  change the created date to 1/1/2020,  or put a'home page' bookmark into the menu bar.  Not sure I'd use this feature if it existed - it would get confused with reminders...

• Like 1

I don't see how setting myself a reminder to do something in a decades is an "obvious" workaround but it works, though not as elegantly as I'd like

thanks

• Like 1

I love the "create table of contents note" option - I think it is the best way to understand the content of a notebook and navigate that notebook efficiently.

I would like to be able to pin a note to the top of the notebook, no matter how the notebook is organized. I would mostly use this to pin "table of contents" notes, but I would use it on other occasions as well.

And yes, reminders would technically do it but I think that is a little ugly. For me, that would mean having 36 perpetual reminders, one for each notebook. Way too much clutter for me. I think the "shortcuts" feature could address this as well, but again, there would be 36 shortcuts that I would have to visually sort through. It would be much easier to see just the note I want as I navigate to the appropriate notebook.

This seems to be a hot topic, here are other posts requesting this feature, starting with this post:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/50972-feature-request-pin-notes-to-the-top-of-the-notebook-browser/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41293-feature-request-pin-notes/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/49215-feature-request-pin-note-to-top/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34064-request-pin-notes-and-notebooks-to-start/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23092-request-pin-one-note-on-the-top-always/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42968-pin-note-to-top/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/33642-sticky-notes-the-ability-to-pin-notes-to-the-top-of-a-list/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/40833-is-it-possible-to-pin-a-note-to-the-top/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/18324-feature-request-pin-notes-favorites/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/30585-feature-request-for-android-client-pin-note-to-notification-bar/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24278-feature-request-pinned-notes/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24796-map-view-of-notes/

• Like 3

Reminders work pretty well for me, actually? Elegant? Perhaps not, function usually triumphs over lack of functionality, in my book, and that's the reality of today's Evernote.

As regards a table of contents note, that's actually a great use; if you've filtered on a particular notebook (btw, you don't need separate shortcuts for that purpose), you'll only see the reminder for that notebook, and not all of the other 35. Conversely, if you have 36 table of content reminders, and you're looking at your whole note collection, then you can browse the TOC reminders in the reminders list (seems useful on its own), or use one click to hide it. I don't really see much downside. Well, except for the fact that table-of-contents notes need to be updated when you add or remove notes from a notebook, which could be tedious.

My concern with the reminders isn't when I'm in the notebook, its when I'm actually trying to look at my reminders and 36 of them are useless. I'm a very organized person, as I assume many are who use Evernote! I keep my notebooks pretty clean and declutter often. Definitely not elegant, I would rather do without the feature than use that work-around. But the method you described does have some benefits, too! Seeing the all of the TOC notes when looking at all notes does seem helpful! I imagine if the pinned notes feature existed, seeing all of the pinned notes in the all-notes view might be distracting as well. Then your page would consist of reminders, pinned notes, and finally your notes list. And somehow we arrive back at clutter!

My concern with the reminders isn't when I'm in the notebook, its when I'm actually trying to look at my reminders and 36 of them are useless.

Reminders respond to the current note filter, just as notes do, since reminders are, after all, notes with reminder stuff tacked on. There's nothing stopping you from tagging them for smarter filtering. You can also sort the reminder list separately from the note list, at least in Windows (reminder date or title), so you have some control there, too. You might consider a "TOC" tag and a "Todo" (or whatever) tag to distinguish, for example. Or if your true reminder tags have reminder dates, those will float to the top, over undated reminders.

I'm a very organized person, as I assume many are who use Evernote! I keep my notebooks pretty clean and declutter often. Definitely not elegant, I would rather do without the feature than use that work-around. But the method you described does have some benefits, too! Seeing the all of the TOC notes when looking at all notes does seem helpful! I imagine if the pinned notes feature existed, seeing all of the pinned notes in the all-notes view might be distracting as well. Then your page would consist of reminders, pinned notes, and finally your notes list. And somehow we arrive back at clutter!

Yeah, it's not clear to me that the proposed pinned notes solutions offer much more than reminders already do. But then again, I don't need much more than that; I'm sure that others have more ambition needs...

I don't see how setting myself a reminder to do something in a decades is an "obvious" workaround but it works, though not as elegantly as I'd like

thanks

He did not say set a *reminder* for decades into the future. He said change the "Creation Date" on a note to long into the future which will have a similar effect of "pinning" a note: it will always display at the top. I was coming to request a pinning feature as well but this might work. I think pinning still makes sense, though.

I'm actually unsure how changing the note creation date allows for the "pinning" of that note even as a work-around,  (but I could be completely just missing something here).

So I took my new note and I changed both the creation and updated date to 2020.  But then I went and edited another note in the notepad and, I guess as expected (?), it went to the top of the list, effectively over-riding the manual change I made in the previous note.  

Anyone else experience this or am I simply missing something here?

If you sort the notes by created date,  things should -literally- fall into place...  :)

To be able to pin notes on top of a notebook (like in these forums are pinned important topics), where you may want to gather links to important notes, or just specific remarks and descriptions for that notebook would be great.

Maybe I am not the first one to think about this, but I really miss it.

This has been discussed before and various solutions were suggested.  You might try a search of the forums.

The method I use is a tag; !HotNotes.  This is saved in my shortcuts section and allows quick access to a selection of notes.

5 hours ago, Fco said:

To be able to pin notes on top of a notebook (like in these forums are pinned important topics), where you may want to gather links to important notes, or just specific remarks and descriptions for that notebook would be great.

It is a great idea that has been discussed many time in these forums.

Until/IF Evernote decides to provide this feature, here is a workaround that works pretty well:
Use Reminders (without a date)

I have found a good use for Reminders, not as in reminding me of a due date, but in pinning key notes at the top of the list.

So, by combining a new Notebook  and creating Reminders (without dates) of key notes I need handy/quick reference to, I've been able to quickly setup a system that seems to work quite well.  BTW, the Reminders shown also respect any Tag Filters you have in place.

With the Notebook selected, the list of notes are shown, and at the top of the list are the Reminders for that Notebook, which list my key Notes.  You could think of them as "pinned" Notes.  They can even be manually ordered.

So, in the normal Note list, I can sort, filter, search the normal Evernote way.

Regardless of the state of the Note list, I can quickly reference my key notes just by one click on the Reminders line/button at the top of the Note list.   And, I can view the key notes (reminders) without a sort, which enables manual sort, or sort by date incase I do have some with due dates.

Here's a screenshot illustrating use of Reminders as "Pinned" Notes:

EN-Mac-6.3-Reminders.png

Thanks guys for your tips... They seem to be a good way around. But I just implemented the "reminder trick" and I get a list of "fake" reminders mixed with my real reminders, which doesn't look nice and tidy at all.

This is kind of  a "throwing the garbage in the living room to get the flies out of the kitchen" solution.

I would love to see something like a pushpin button on the top of my note.

2 minutes ago, Fco said:

This is kind of  a "throwing the garbage in the living room to get the flies out of the kitchen" solution.

It's not a perfect workaround, but not anywhere near that bad.

IAC, I think it is the best we can do until/IF Evernote provides the feature you requested.  I would not hold my breath.  It might be a while.  ;)

• Like 1

I so want an option for pinning a note. I dont like to change the date of my notes. 

please, make it happen. Eagerly waiting for this feature. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2016 at 10:52 PM, akki3489 said:

I so want an option for pinning a note. I dont like to change the date of my notes. 

please, make it happen. Eagerly waiting for this feature. 

Thanks 

Same here. I'm always changing how notes are sorted, to I need a unique note attribute that designates that it should always be on top.I tried reading through the explanation of the reminders technique but it was TLDR. and if it's that long, it's too complicated to be useful 

the process should be this simple:

1. choose note to pin
  2. click on pin icon on note
  3. note moves to the top of the notes list

done.

>> I need a unique note attribute that designates that it should always be on top

I have notes I want quick access to, but I don't really want to see all the time at the top of my list.
For these, I use a special tag (!Hot Notes) and include the tag in my shortcuts area.

Per the original post of having one note (index) they always want at the top of the notes,  I would look at my default search and modify the dates/title accordingly.

I would not find this practical with dozens of notes.  
I find the Reminder section more useful for this.  
Sample below is one of my filtered lists - the note Table of Contents is always at the top

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 10.15.44 AM.png

3 hours ago, TheGooch said:

Same here. I'm always changing how notes are sorted, to I need a unique note attribute that designates that it should always be on top.I tried reading through the explanation of the reminders technique but it was TLDR. and if it's that long, it's too complicated to be useful 

the process should be this simple:

1. choose note to pin
  2. click on pin icon on note
  3. note moves to the top of the notes list

done.

This feature has been in the request queue for a while, so who knows if/when it will appear.  Common workaround seems to be to modify Created or Updated date, whichever date you use the most to sort, thereby forcing the note to the top.

I have a lot of notebooks, and In each notebook, I have a lot of notes. But in some notebooks, I have some important note and need update them every day. So I want to pin them to the top of the note list when opening a notebook.

Currently, I use reminder feature to keep a note on top. 

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 11.43.37 AM.png

• Like 1

On June 10, 2016 at 9:43 PM, Thomas Bui said:

I have a lot of notebooks, and In each notebook, I have a lot of notes. But in some notebooks, I have some important note and need update them every day. So I want to pin them to the top of the note list when opening a notebook.

What sort sequence do you use.

If Title Sequence, you can just prefix the note title, for example !Important_Note

If Create_Date Sequence, you can set the creation date.
Similar process for Modifcation_Date Sequence

30 minutos atrás, DTLow disse:

What sort sequence do you use.

If Title Sequence, you can just prefix the note title, for example !Important_Note

If Create_Date Sequence, you can set the creation date.
Similar process for Modifcation_Date Sequence

I thought about that, but I often change my sorting sequence to tags, reminder date, etc., which would go against your advice. A pinning option wouldn't be too hard to implement, would it?

On June 14, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Leni Filgueira said:

A pinning option wouldn't be too hard to implement, would it?

This was implemented in the reminder section by adding a Reminder Order field
So, it is do-able.
I'm seeing it as a question of priorities - is this a feature that the user majority want?
I urge you to up-vote one of the feature requests in the feedback forum, or create your own.

• Like 1

I've been using Evernote every day for many years and so have a ton of notes across many notebooks. So far, so good. What I think would be really helpful though, would be the ability to pin notes that I'm currently working on or, want quick access to, but for which I don't want to create a separate notebook as it's not about reorganising where they live, it's about access to them and possible relationships to notes in other notebooks. Pinned notes would remain within their respective notebooks and their order on the pin board are managed by me. For example, I'm working on two projects and in amongst lots of day to day updates to existing notes and the creation of new ones. I have a presentation coming up which I will be looking to references items from both of those projects. Those items are also not necessarily part of my day to day work and so they quickly disappear in the list as updated or new notes take precedence. The pin board would be a prominent button on the tool bar. The pins could display post it note style and can be moved around so that I can show hierarchy and relationships between notes. Pinned notes are not copied or duplicated so I can update them from the pin board or from their respective notebook. I know I can do something like this using tags though that doesn't really give me the experience I'm looking for. 

ROKO

3 hours ago, ROKO said:

I've been using Evernote every day for many years and so have a ton of notes across many notebooks. So far, so good. What I think would be really helpful though, would be the ability to pin notes that I'm currently working on or, want quick access to

Have you looked at the Shortcuts section

I actually have too many notes that I want "pinned" so instead I use a tag (!Hot Notes) that I apply to notes I want quick access to
The tag is "pinned" at the top of my shortcuts

• Like 1

Tag + shortcut: this is a canonical Evernote technique; simple and effective. Tags can cut across notebooks, so notes need not be moved around.

Thanks both - solved it. Need to go to the sidebar, select "tags" and then drag the tag from their into shortcuts. Could be easier / more intuitive but at least its functioning. R

6 hours ago, ROKO said:

Thanks both - solved it. Need to go to the sidebar, select "tags" and then drag the tag from their into shortcuts. Could be easier / more intuitive but at least its functioning. R

If you right click on a tag you get a context menu with Add to Shortcuts as an option.

• Like 1

Hey Evernote Team

It would be so great to be able to pin notes to the top of a notebook. For example, I'm a student and I'd love to be able to easily refer to the study guide whenever I'm in my -- for example -- maths notebook. Using shortcuts isn't an option because this will only clutter up and shortcuts and block me from getting to stuff I actually want there. 

Think Spark's ability to Pin Emails to the top of the page. 

You got this!

Jonathan

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 7.15.11 PM.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Michael Copeland said:

It would be so great to be able to pin notes to the top of a notebook.

There's other requests asking for this.

My solution is to switch to title sequence and manipulate the title; for example a prefix of - ensures the note appears at the top of any list

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Michael Copeland said:

Thanks Jefito, this works perfectly! I still think there should be a feature for this, but this will do until then!

Good to hear it. I like pinned reminders (at least in the Windows client) because the reminders list can be closed, and it can be sorted independently of the note list it appears over, including arbitrary user-chosen ordering.

It would be great to be able to PIN a Note to the top of the sorting list to use it as template.

Also, was kinda difficult to get here, where I can just share a suggestion/feedback/idea.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hi Evernote,

I've been using evernote for 5 years and then comes **another product from competitor** and introduces note coloring and note pinning and it's suddenly so intuitive to use!

Here are the suggestions:

1. background color of the note snippets (only snippets) so they can be easily distinguished by color in the list of notes inside the notebook. The background of the note itself doesn't change so it doesn't become hard to read. As one exception, a title space of the note can have the same color as the note snippet to connect style of the note to the snippet.
  2. pin notes to the top of the notebook - this is such a no brainer! There are notes which just must be on top all the time, period, while other notes must follow normal sorting pattern.

Evernote is much more powerful than alternatives but its interface is still a pain.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

George

Hi.  Interesting post - we're mostly friendly here,  what's the 'other product' that's so intuitive?

It would be extremely helpful to be able to pin a note or notes to the top of my list so they’re not constantly getting lost among updated notes. I realize I can use tags or add them to the shortcut menu, but that does me no good on mobile when I’m looking at all notes, which is how I’m using Evernote 95% of the time. Pinning a note to the top would allow me to prioritize a note at my leisure without shuffling around my organization; I could then remove that priority at any time and carry on. This would be helpful, for example, if you have notes that trigger thoughts or reminders that serve as visual cues. I would use this feature regularly on the mobile app.

• Like 1

Agreed. The mobile experience leaves much to be desired. 

FYI the Reminders feature can be used as a kind of pin. Just set a reminder on the note and it will show up at the top of the list in the Reminders section (as well as below). It will ask you to choose a date and time for the reminder but you can just tap outside of that to just set a reminder with no date. 

Annoying thing though is that if you have any reminders set with dates those notes will show up above notes that have reminders with no dates. Honestly I think there just needs to be a separate pin function, completely independent of reminders. A pin function that works like the one in Apple notesor Google Keep does.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jyc23 said:

Annoying thing though is that if you have any reminders set with dates those notes will show up above notes that have reminders with no dates

In the Windows client, at least (since nobody has specified which Evernote client this pertains to), you can sort the reminder list by Date (which does indeed sort reminders with actual data above reminders with no date) or not, in which case you can move reminders to arbitrary locations in the list (so sorting by hand). I find reminders to be very handy, but, like keeping  extra tabs open in your browser, having too many of them kinda defeats the purpose. I do actually prefer sort-by-date, as that puts reminder notes that I have specific dates for up front, as opposed to reminders that don't, which for me are a sort of bookmarky, get-to-it-sometime kind of marker (i.e. lower priority). YMMV, per usual.

So I use the mobile version for IOS. I’m mobile probably 90% of the time using Evernote, and on occasion I’m on the laptop. But on mobile, i use the All Notes view since I’m usually in a rush and just want to access everything real quick. When I set a reminder to a note, it doesn’t bump it to the top of my list as mentioned above. Doesn’t matter if I set a date or not; all it does is ping it to go to the Reminders folder if I’m sorting. I don’t sort or have time to sort on mobile—I want to jump in and out within All Notes. Hence the reason for this original post—it would be nice to be able to pin a note to the top of that All Notes list and unpin it when I’m done using it as a priority. Sure we can organize folders and reminders and sort and use shortcuts and I can eventually have a two to three click system if I want, but it’s not practical for me on mobile. Works great on laptop when I have more time but not mobile. Just my experience.

I added my vote

This is not just a mobile issue.  
The request is to flag notes so they automatically appear at the top of any list regardless of sort sequence

• Like 1

2 questions ...
1. While in card view/expanded card view, is there a way to see what notebook it is in?

2. Is there a way to pin notes to the top of a notebook?

Thanks

55 minutes ago, kloy said:

While in card view/expanded card view, is there a way to see what notebook it is in?

There are no options to display the notebook in card view.

>>Is there a way to pin notes to the top of a notebook?

There is no "pin" feature for the note list.

I usually adjust the title or dates so the note sorts to the top of the list.

At the top of the note list, you will see the Reminders section.94B09E28-418D-4107-9F5E-28A428E12817.png.908958ef6a0a7fac1a67c19d52d00f95.png
You  can set a note reminder to pin a note title in this section.

Hi there,

It would be great to have ability to pin notes to the top of the actual notebook (and in addition to have a dynamic notebook with all the pinned notes). Google Keep has this feature. Awesome!

Thank you!

There is a whole family of these requests on the forum.  Hopefully EN's new forum clean up project will consolidate this with the others. ( @Shane D.  ;) )

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CabbageTree said:

It would be great to have ability to pin notes to the top of the actual notebook (and in addition to have a dynamic notebook with all the pinned notes). Google Keep has this feature. Awesome!

No "pin" feature.  My method is to adjust the title and/or dates so the note naturally sorts to the top of the note list.
Other users use the Reminders Section which appears at the top of the note list.

For the "dynamic notebook", I would apply a tag to the pin notes.  A search will retrieve the list.

7 hours ago, CabbageTree said:

It would be great to have ability to pin notes to the top of the actual notebook (and in addition to have a dynamic notebook with all the pinned notes).

Windows Evernote users have to ability to have reminder notes to appear at the top of various note list types (snippet, card, thumbnail, but not the list views) in a separate list what can be sorted independently of the note list, or arbitrarily ordered. The Android client also has reminders available at the top of the note list as well. I use this feature a lot.

Pinning notes is and should be a pretty fundamental utility for an App that's been around as long as Evernote. I've used Evernote extensively for both work and personal for yers but this has always been a bugbear - for example checking quickly for a recently uploaded note now involves wading through countless 1/1/2100 created notes (or reminders). It really needs to be sorted. The suggestion that "Spaces"now has this function just doesn't cut it. I already pay for premium and can get this function in Bear and similar, why not Evernote?

8 hours ago, Worfed said:

for example checking quickly for a recently uploaded note now involves wading through countless 1/1/2100 created notes (or reminders). It really needs to be sorted.

Not clear what this has to do with pinning a note?

8 hours ago, Worfed said:

for example checking quickly for a recently uploaded note now involves wading through countless 1/1/2100 created notes (or reminders)

Still no "pin" feature

I would use filtered lists to avoid "wading through countless  ..."

Please indicate your support for this request using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

I want to pin notes too. For example, I keep a daily journal with all the important/relevant events of the day, and I would like to pin a note titled "Important Things Learned 2018" at the top that I can easily see and edit whenever there is a key idea or lesson. 

1 hour ago, david@daveresnick.com said:

I keep a daily journal with all the important/relevant events of the day, and I would like to pin a note titled "Important Things Learned 2018" at the top that I can easily see and edit whenever there is a key idea or lesson. 

I also keep a daily journal; a note in Evernote669262011_ScreenShot2018-12-05at07_45_32.png.352a765b7bd3944767aa84c4b4b77fe6.png
My journal template has links to notes I need quick access to

1 hour ago, david@daveresnick.com said:

I want to pin notes too. For example, I keep a daily journal with all the important/relevant events of the day, and I would like to pin a note titled "Important Things Learned 2018" at the top that I can easily see and edit whenever there is a key idea or lesson. 

If/until this feature is added, there are possibilities that might help, depending on which Evernote application you are using:

• Create an Evernote shortcut to your note.  Shortcuts are generally easily available.
  • In some clients (I use Windows, with snippet view, and Android), reminder notes appear in a separate list above the note list. The reminder list can be configured to sort by reminder date, or you can order it yourself via drag/drop. I use this to keep frequently accessed notes readily available.

1 minute ago, Jonathan Michael Copeland said:

Yes, but I like having my notes ordered by date added. What you are suggesting will bring anarchy and chaos to my system. 

Date Added is a valid defined sequence

This topic seems more like "anarchy and chaos"

• Like 1