Inescapable auto syncing

Hey everyone

For some reason, my Evernote-for-Windows automatically syncs when I launch the program. I have checked and unchecked various boxes in the Settings Menu, but it's still the same. As soon as I launch Evernote, it syncs. I want to be able to keep it unsynced until I decide otherwise, and have the time to save an older version before it disappears, for instance. Can someone help me?

• Level 5*

Moved to the Windows forum

Each platform has different options; Mac's have a "Manual Sync" setting
No option on my iPad.  

Manual sync seems like a bad idea.  
Personally, I recover mistakes using the Trash, my backups or Note History

• Level 5*

There are sync options in Tools > Options on desktop,  but I assume those are the ones you've tried.  The only other possibility is to switch off your internet connection when you launch Evernote,  though if you fully sign out of the app to close it you'll need an internet connection to log back in...

Standard advice is always to sync both before and after you edit notes,  so you're sure the version you change is the most up to date.  Otherwise you'll be losing data or spawning 'conflicting edit' messages.

Seems easy enough to kill the connection if you're chasing lost edits - or keep regular database backups like most of us older users do...

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Filemon said:

Hey everyone

For some reason, my Evernote-for-Windows automatically syncs when I launch the program. I have checked and unchecked various boxes in the Settings Menu, but it's still the same. As soon as I launch Evernote, it syncs. I want to be able to keep it unsynced until I decide otherwise, and have the time to save an older version before it disappears, for instance. Can someone help me?

I unchecked all the boxes on Tools - Options - Sync, did a File -Exit, and restarted EN.  It did not sync for 8 minutes one time and 17 minutes the next. Interesting thing, in each instance the sync occurred right after I forwarded an email to EN.  

So I tried a third time and within 15 seconds of forwarding the email the client synced.  New learning for me if I have it right; an EN account receiving an email causes a sync in the client, no matter the sync settings.

So, moral of the story, if you don't have any emails coming into EN and you have no options checked on the sync page, you should not get a sync when you start EN.  I would do a file exit after ensuring the sync options are all un-checked.  FWIW.

Archived