rallen444

undo feature for iOS

Idea

I searched and didn't see this feature request.

last night on the tube I selected some text and was nudged ... all the selected text was deleted

I know I can go to the laptop app and recover - provided I pay for Premium - however surely an undo button would make sense.

I hardly ever use my laptop so an in-app function would help

9 replies to this idea

Hi.  There are no 'undo' functions in any version of Evernote - they all rely on the underlying 'undo' feature of the device they're running on - which in the case of the iPhone is (I believe) a good shake at the time the error happens.  Failing that,  stop the device connecting so you can save the old version of the note on another device,  or - as you already know - you can recover with Note History.

7 hours ago, rallen444 said:

I searched and didn't see this feature request.

last night on the tube I selected some text and was nudged ... all the selected text was deleted

I know I can go to the laptop app and recover - provided I pay for Premium - however surely an undo button would make sense.

I hardly ever use my laptop so an in-app function would help

You can "shake" your IOS device to undo.

2 hours ago, csihilling said:

You can "shake" your IOS device to undo.

Which is true, but awkward. Evernote on the iPad has an undo button, so why not have it on the iPhone too? Like essentially every other editor on the iPhone. 

50 minutes ago, Bob in NV said:

Which is true, but awkward. Evernote on the iPad has an undo button, so why not have it on the iPhone too? Like essentially every other editor on the iPhone. 

Don't think Evernote has the button - isn't that on the iPad keyboard?  -Presumably on the basis that it's difficult to 'shake' an iPad.  Actually I think I saw someone else post that the iPhone in Landscape view also has the same key...

I cannot believe that there are no other way then shaking to undo on the iPhone... I desabled this option having my text deleted after accidently "shaking" my phone while writing, so this is not an option for me. And even so, it's not really a "Redo" option if you can just go back on the moment of the error.

The history should be accessible from the iPhone too. Paying 50 bucks for this option (and many more, ok, but anyway) and being forced to go to switch to my laptop is a pain in the ... I don't always carry my laptop with me, and use my iphone to do more than just read my notes, so it's really unconfortable...

It might seem like a small detail, but it is the very reason that makes me look for an alternative to Evernote.

Too bad.

I simply *cannot* believe there is no Undo feature in Evernote iOS?! I had a very important note that I was editing on my iPhone and an accidental 'pocket edit' (I must have touched/swiped the screen accidentally) has deleted all the important info in the note. Surely a simple Undo Edit feature could (and should) be added. I had no idea about the "shake to undo" feature, and it's too late now. (Though I sure feel like shaking my phone now—or more specifically, the Evernote app! :) )

10 minutes ago, Michael 'MC' Carter said:

I simply *cannot* believe there is no Undo feature in Evernote iOS?

In addition to the undo feature supported by the OS, Evernote retains deleted notes for restoration from the trash.

Version restoration is also supported via Evernote's Note History backup.

• Like 1

Is there really no way of recovering deleted content from a note?  The entire note content was selected, unknown to me, and with 1 swipe it was gone. I tried to recover it form another device before it synced and was too late.

Is Evernote planning to create an UNDO / Back Arrow? Is it really that hard?

Thanks!

22 hours ago, Jill M said:

Is Evernote planning to create an UNDO / Back Arrow? Is it really that hard?

Hi.  See above: deleted notes = trash folder.  Plus see personal backups,  other devices and (if a subscriber,  and the deletion is only partial) Note History.  iOS also already has an undo function.

• Like 2