extest

[Bug Report] - Copying text from Evernote app (Mac) adds newline

Idea

After upgrading the Evernote app for Mac (currently running Version 6.11 (454876 App Store)) every time I copy a line of text from a note, it adds a newline automatically.  This makes it impossible for me to paste commands into the terminal amongst other things.
This is a recent regression.

Also, how can I report a bug in the future?  I spent 10 minutes looping through this page with no luck:
https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 replies to this idea

Still not fixed in Jan, 2019. Fortunate to see this bug before deciding to buy premium.

I'm giving up - this is too damned dangerous - switching to Devon.

Extremely annoying, using Versie 6.11 (454876 App Store) as well. Please repair this.

its really annoying to auto add newline when copy text content.

17 hours ago, extest said:

Also, how can I report a bug in the future?  I spent 10 minutes looping through this page with no luck:

The web support page is for paid accounts and gives an option at the bottom to chat or submit a ticket.  Non paying users can use twitter at Twitter @evernotehelps  

Reporting in the forums works.  I'm moving your post to the Mac feedback forum.

Also, you might want to post in the 6.11 discussion at 

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The web support page is for paid accounts and gives an option at the bottom to chat or submit a ticket.

Where is the option to submit a ticket?  I've attached a screenshot of what I see on that page.

Also, why is chat offline during business hours?

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 12.05.18 PM.png

22 minutes ago, extest said:

Where is the option to submit a ticket?  I've attached a screenshot of what I see on that page.

Also, why is chat offline during business hours?

As a Premium account user, this is what I see on the Support web page

58f7bade390c2_ScreenShot2017-04-19at12_29_35PM.png.e92ca2d3c79e0b0daa214ebce599bde6.png

I also want to change this behaviour - This is a major pain in the a** to have evernote adding spurious newlines when copy/pasting on OSX  - It also seems to be inconsistent - restarting the app appears to stop the behaviour. 

As has already been said - this makes evernote pretty useless for anyone who uses it to keep command line snippets. If I want a newline pasting, then i would copy it in the first place - please revert this behaviour.

I've noticed this with the latest update, and it's extremely annoying. 

It's especially annoying when copy and pasting to a list with bullet points or check boxes, as it creates multiple lines above and below the text.

Fully agree with santix and jinmin803, this has to be fixed asap.

Any workaround available yet?

Hello, I'm having the same behavior, my version is 6.11 (454876 App Store), we need help with this

+1

Extremely annoying. Makes Evernote difficult to use for taking note for code snippets used in a terminal.

Not fixed, so annyong when moving around stuff for example within a log or whatever... Iam getting a good old feeling of the old days of MS word on this on how maligned that software was... I also have a damn annoying issue thats fresh where I cant copy and paste stuff, have to restart the app. 

Whats going on Evernote? 

Has this been fixed in any Evernote update yet? I'm noticing the problem now in the Mac app 6.11.1, and I'm wondering if it will be fixed if I upgrade to a later version (I generally don't update unless there is a particular fix I want, in case other features get broken).

Has anyone seen a response or a bug ID?  Is Evernote even aware of the issue?  I am on Evernote 7.8 for Mac and I'm hitting this issue.  This is making Evernote unusable.  

I'd also like to know when this will be fixed "again".  It's causing a lot of pain since some commands I copied from Evernote just ran unintentionally after paste into a terminal window.

Here's my Mac version,

Version 7.8 (457453 Direct)
Editor: 62.1.7539 (b406110)

Same issue with 7.8 here, macOS 10.14.2, so annoying!

This is driving me nuts. Please fix this.

On 1/29/2019 at 1:27 PM, CY7 said:

Same issue with 7.8 here, macOS 10.14.2, so annoying!

I am wondering if this behavior has recently been introduced with Evernote as I am very sure it didn't add the newline when copying from Evernote a couple of months ago.

I use Evernote for saving commands I use in Linux terminal a lot and these added newlines aren't just annoying but really dangerous. This is really a security risk for my work. Sorry, but I will have to cancel the subscription if this behavior isn't changed fast.

It was driving me crazy, downgrading to 7.7 finally saved my sanity.  Although resync all notes took over an hour, it's worth the time and hassle.  Here's how I downgraded mine,

1. uninstall Evernote, https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314248-How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Evernote
  2. rename two com.evernote... folders in ~/Library/Application Support
  3. download 7.7 from 
  4. unzip to Application folder
  5. start Evernote
  6. stop auto-update in preferences

• Like 1

Guys, good advice – Switch to Notes app, it is free, synced across devices, and doesn't have issues with clipboard!

1 hour ago, asktomsk said:

synced across devices,

Wrong!!!  Apple Notes data is not sync'd to Windows, Android devices

Do you have any other "good advice" to share?

On 4/18/2017 at 8:31 PM, extest said:

After upgrading the Evernote app for Mac (currently running Version 6.11 (454876 App Store)) every time I copy a line of text from a note, it adds a newline automatically.  This makes it impossible for me to paste commands into the terminal amongst other things.
This is a recent regression.

Thanks!

Just wanted to let you know we're working on updating our text editor and this issue has been addressed in the new version. We're still testing the new editor and working on enhancements so I don't have a date for a release yet, but wanted to let you know we've heard you and addressed the problem. 

Thanks,

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

Oh, wait. Which version are you mentioning? I know you had fixed the issue, but this was re-introduced in version 7.8.

Version 7.7 is fine. But some reports say 7.9 beta2 also has the same issue.

Byoungnam

4 hours ago, Nick L. said:

Just wanted to let you know we're working on updating our text editor and this issue has been addressed in the new version. We're still testing the new editor and working on enhancements so I don't have a date for a release yet, but wanted to let you know we've heard you and addressed the problem. 

Thanks,

Does "the new version" mean "the NEXT version"?  Or does it mean, "the next MAJOR" version?

This issue is overwhelmingly aggravating, and there seems to be little reason for it.

I want to clarify as it will inform my, and possibly others', next steps.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:18 AM, Nick L. said:

Thanks,

Fail!  7.9 STILL HAS THE SAME ISSUE.

While not a solution, there is a work-a-round to this annoying issue for those pasting code into macOS Terminal. Using iTerm2 instead of Terminal, you'll be prompted to Paste Without Newline. Not ideal having to use one program to overcome the shortcomings of another, but it gets the job done.

41 minutes ago, Harry in cupboard said:

I've downgraded into v7.7 and happily copy and paste into terminal.

Thanks for the prod Harry!  Reluctantly, I've done the same.  urgggg 😖😖😖😖

At least it does solve the problem - and has taught me a bit of a lesson.

Just now, Harry in cupboard said:

Me, too! NEVER UPDATE THE EVERNOTE.

Precisely!!!

following... hope they will fix it

Yes, yet  another unwelcome surprise from the ever-asleep team at ever-not.

They, just, don't. care.

(That's giving them the benefit of the doubt that no one at ever-not is stupid enough to think that corrupting data copied to the clipboard is a good idea.)

Still an issue on version 7.9 in Mojave 10.14.3.  Super annoying

On 2/15/2019 at 9:30 AM, cstoba said:

I am wondering if this behavior has recently been introduced with Evernote as I am very sure it didn't add the newline when copying from Evernote a couple of months ago.

I use Evernote for saving commands I use in Linux terminal a lot and these added newlines aren't just annoying but really dangerous. This is really a security risk for my work. Sorry, but I will have to cancel the subscription if this behavior isn't changed fast.

Any news on this? I am starting to become impatient. :(

7.10 beta (released yesterday) seems to fix this. If you're up for trying a beta release...

THIS IS REALLY FRUSTRATING!

Guys @EvernoteTeam it's a simple request, please fix it as it's really messing up the whole experience!

On 2/19/2019 at 10:48 AM, ljbrown said:

Does "the new version" mean "the NEXT version"?  Or does it mean, "the next MAJOR" version?

This issue is overwhelmingly aggravating, and there seems to be little reason for it.

I want to clarify as it will inform my, and possibly others', next steps.

Downloaded 7.10 beta and still having copy/paste issues. Paste by command V does not work but paste and match style by the menu does work...... Pretty frustrating. 

10 minutes ago, wahlink@hotmail.com said:

Downloaded 7.10 beta and still having copy/paste issues. Paste by command V does not work but paste and match style by the menu does work...... Pretty frustrating. 

You might post this in the 7.10 feedback discussion

On 4/3/2019 at 2:01 PM, luckman212 said:

7.10 beta (released yesterday) seems to fix this. If you're up for trying a beta release...

How hard can it be to remove the extra added line feed from copied text again?