[Bug Report] - Copying text from Evernote app (Mac) adds newline

extest

Idea

After upgrading the Evernote app for Mac (currently running Version 6.11 (454876 App Store)) every time I copy a line of text from a note, it adds a newline automatically.  This makes it impossible for me to paste commands into the terminal amongst other things.
This is a recent regression.

Also, how can I report a bug in the future?  I spent 10 minutes looping through this page with no luck:
https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

62 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, extest said:

Also, how can I report a bug in the future?  I spent 10 minutes looping through this page with no luck:

The web support page is for paid accounts and gives an option at the bottom to chat or submit a ticket.  Non paying users can use twitter at Twitter @evernotehelps  

Reporting in the forums works.  I'm moving your post to the Mac feedback forum.

Also, you might want to post in the 6.11 discussion at 

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The web support page is for paid accounts and gives an option at the bottom to chat or submit a ticket.

Where is the option to submit a ticket?  I've attached a screenshot of what I see on that page.

Also, why is chat offline during business hours?

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 12.05.18 PM.png

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, extest said:

Where is the option to submit a ticket?  I've attached a screenshot of what I see on that page.

Also, why is chat offline during business hours?

As a Premium account user, this is what I see on the Support web page

58f7bade390c2_ScreenShot2017-04-19at12_29_35PM.png.e92ca2d3c79e0b0daa214ebce599bde6.png

I also want to change this behaviour - This is a major pain in the a** to have evernote adding spurious newlines when copy/pasting on OSX  - It also seems to be inconsistent - restarting the app appears to stop the behaviour. 

As has already been said - this makes evernote pretty useless for anyone who uses it to keep command line snippets. If I want a newline pasting, then i would copy it in the first place - please revert this behaviour.

Not fixed, so annyong when moving around stuff for example within a log or whatever... Iam getting a good old feeling of the old days of MS word on this on how maligned that software was... I also have a damn annoying issue thats fresh where I cant copy and paste stuff, have to restart the app. 

Whats going on Evernote? 

Has this been fixed in any Evernote update yet? I'm noticing the problem now in the Mac app 6.11.1, and I'm wondering if it will be fixed if I upgrade to a later version (I generally don't update unless there is a particular fix I want, in case other features get broken).

I'd also like to know when this will be fixed "again".  It's causing a lot of pain since some commands I copied from Evernote just ran unintentionally after paste into a terminal window.

Here's my Mac version,

Version 7.8 (457453 Direct)
Editor: 62.1.7539 (b406110)

On 1/29/2019 at 1:27 PM, CY7 said:

Same issue with 7.8 here, macOS 10.14.2, so annoying!

I am wondering if this behavior has recently been introduced with Evernote as I am very sure it didn't add the newline when copying from Evernote a couple of months ago.

I use Evernote for saving commands I use in Linux terminal a lot and these added newlines aren't just annoying but really dangerous. This is really a security risk for my work. Sorry, but I will have to cancel the subscription if this behavior isn't changed fast.

It was driving me crazy, downgrading to 7.7 finally saved my sanity.  Although resync all notes took over an hour, it's worth the time and hassle.  Here's how I downgraded mine,

1. uninstall Evernote, https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314248-How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Evernote
  2. rename two com.evernote... folders in ~/Library/Application Support
  3. download 7.7 from 
  4. unzip to Application folder
  5. start Evernote
  6. stop auto-update in preferences

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, asktomsk said:

synced across devices,

Wrong!!!  Apple Notes data is not sync'd to Windows, Android devices

Do you have any other "good advice" to share?

On 4/18/2017 at 8:31 PM, extest said:

After upgrading the Evernote app for Mac (currently running Version 6.11 (454876 App Store)) every time I copy a line of text from a note, it adds a newline automatically.  This makes it impossible for me to paste commands into the terminal amongst other things.
This is a recent regression.

Thanks!

Just wanted to let you know we're working on updating our text editor and this issue has been addressed in the new version. We're still testing the new editor and working on enhancements so I don't have a date for a release yet, but wanted to let you know we've heard you and addressed the problem. 

Thanks,

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Nick L. said:

Just wanted to let you know we're working on updating our text editor and this issue has been addressed in the new version. We're still testing the new editor and working on enhancements so I don't have a date for a release yet, but wanted to let you know we've heard you and addressed the problem. 

Thanks,

Does "the new version" mean "the NEXT version"?  Or does it mean, "the next MAJOR" version?

This issue is overwhelmingly aggravating, and there seems to be little reason for it.

I want to clarify as it will inform my, and possibly others', next steps.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:18 AM, Nick L. said:

Thanks,

Fail!  7.9 STILL HAS THE SAME ISSUE.

While not a solution, there is a work-a-round to this annoying issue for those pasting code into macOS Terminal. Using iTerm2 instead of Terminal, you'll be prompted to Paste Without Newline. Not ideal having to use one program to overcome the shortcomings of another, but it gets the job done.

41 minutes ago, Harry in cupboard said:

I've downgraded into v7.7 and happily copy and paste into terminal.

Thanks for the prod Harry!  Reluctantly, I've done the same.  urgggg 😖😖😖😖

At least it does solve the problem - and has taught me a bit of a lesson.

Yes, yet  another unwelcome surprise from the ever-asleep team at ever-not.

They, just, don't. care.

(That's giving them the benefit of the doubt that no one at ever-not is stupid enough to think that corrupting data copied to the clipboard is a good idea.)

On 2/15/2019 at 9:30 AM, cstoba said:

I am wondering if this behavior has recently been introduced with Evernote as I am very sure it didn't add the newline when copying from Evernote a couple of months ago.

I use Evernote for saving commands I use in Linux terminal a lot and these added newlines aren't just annoying but really dangerous. This is really a security risk for my work. Sorry, but I will have to cancel the subscription if this behavior isn't changed fast.

Any news on this? I am starting to become impatient. :(

On 2/19/2019 at 10:48 AM, ljbrown said:

Does "the new version" mean "the NEXT version"?  Or does it mean, "the next MAJOR" version?

This issue is overwhelmingly aggravating, and there seems to be little reason for it.

I want to clarify as it will inform my, and possibly others', next steps.

Downloaded 7.10 beta and still having copy/paste issues. Paste by command V does not work but paste and match style by the menu does work...... Pretty frustrating. 

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, wahlink@hotmail.com said:

Downloaded 7.10 beta and still having copy/paste issues. Paste by command V does not work but paste and match style by the menu does work...... Pretty frustrating. 

You might post this in the 7.10 feedback discussion

On 4/3/2019 at 2:01 PM, luckman212 said:

7.10 beta (released yesterday) seems to fix this. If you're up for trying a beta release...

How hard can it be to remove the extra added line feed from copied text again?

May 2019 and still not fixed. Working on a cmd line and using evernote is about to end for me, forever. Its too dangerous as someone has already mentioned it.

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO COPY AND PAST OUTSIDE OF EVERNOTE WITHOUT INCLUDING THE 'RETURN' ON THE END OF EVERY LINE. THAT MEANS EVERY TIME YOU COPY FROM EVERNOTE YOU ARE FORCED TO HIT 'RETURN'. THINK ABOUT THAT.

RETURN OOPS

I just updated to this version on my mac and I no longer get the newline after copying text:

Version 7.10 (457750 Direct)
Editor: 69.1.8237 (1f0aea9)

so happy to see that it is working for now

• Level 5
On 5/15/2019 at 1:56 PM, digd33p said:

I just updated to this version on my mac and I no longer get the newline after copying text:
so happy to see that it is working for now

Not to pour cold water on your excitement but, there are still bugs with copy & paste & newlines.
For example, try copying the text below and paste it into a new note. Then make it into a code block.

Hello
World

Evernote
Bugs

Are
Fun
To Test

You'll see, each of the single spaces becomes a double space.

image.png.9a0e8a63ce9f0945348e8465041a8aee.png

• Level 5

From how I understand the process:

- a new release goes first to the company homepage, for download and free installation 

- the same goes to the App Store, for the fruit shop guys to check and approve it. This does not depend on the software provider, but on the App Store Operator. Sometimes it takes a while ...

- There are cases in which the App Store Version is permanently restricted, for example because of the obligatory sandboxing. In these cases, there May permanently exist 2 versions, one for the App Store, and one for free installation.

This means: If you need a fix fast, get the downloaded version. If you can’t install this (managed Mac etc.), maybe you need paaaaaaaaaatience (sorry).

I found at least three threads on this topic going back 4-5 years.  I'm going back to Obsidian.  The Evernote product team clearly doesn't care - but perhaps a developer or someone in another department will one day happen across these threads....

3 hours ago, luckman212 said:

Seems like people are really loving the new apps.  /s

Google Trends

image.thumb.png.d8eeec2c8eda86f5c91834bd3be7c578.png

In fairness, the slow, seemingly inexorable decline seems to have plateaued this year. That's something. If they keep improving the app, perhaps it will start slowly creeping back up.

• Level 5

Has nothing to do with this thread, but a nice observation. Since before v10 nothing changed on the app for years (at least nothing significant), it is quite understandable that things were on a downside move. 

Just to remember: This is the version now sometimes hyped as „the good old legacy“, fix for all pains with v10. It still has some relevant features missing from the new version, but in fact it was the client of decline.