EdH

How do you search for the hash # symbol?

I have some notes on M Language, and there are some functions like #date() and #duration() that I am having trouble searching for. Searching #date returns everything with "date" in it, and searching for "#date" still returns everything with "date" in it, with or without the # symbol. 

Yes,  '#' is one of those non-alphanumeric characters that Evernote's search syntax doesn't recognize.  I had similar problems trying to deal with twitter hashtags which use that format.  The only non-alphanumeric character that Evernote Search does recognize (AFAIK) is the underline.  What I did was to add the underline to the word so the format was #_date and then when I wanted to search for and use a string of tags I would isolate the note and do a find and replace (possible in WIndows notes...) to delete all underlines...

I can find no way to work with Evernote's search limitation on special characters

My solution is to work outside of Evernote for these searches
I maintain a backup of my notes in the Apple File system, using the export>html feature.  I can do my searches there

58f641050226e_ScreenShot2017-04-18at9_38_01AM.thumb.png.759034164ffefee69d5b56bc7907c711.png

33 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Yes,  '#' is one of those non-alphanumeric characters that Evernote's search syntax doesn't recognize.  I had similar problems trying to deal with twitter hashtags which use that format.  The only non-alphanumeric character that Evernote Search does recognize (AFAIK) is the underline.  What I did was to add the underline to the word so the format was #_date and then when I wanted to search for and use a string of tags I would isolate the note and do a find and replace (possible in WIndows notes...) to delete all underlines...

That doesn't do any good. Messes up formulas and functions.

It is silly you cannot escape any character and do a literal search in a product like Evernote. I've asked for this to be fixed here. Votes appreciated.

As for the export @DTLow - that would be an 8GB extract for me which means I need 30min or so just to prep for such a search. Makes no sense that should be necessary.

Still no way to search my notes for a hashtag?

At least I have emoji.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1