Jump to content
YangKC

How to view Evernote note listing on Android browser?

Recommended Posts

Hello:

Because my experience of using Evernote Android is that the app is too big and too slow and not practical which I also notice some reports from other Evernote users, I managed to read EV note via Android browser while integrate it with my personal GTD app(MLO, MyLifeOrgainzed in this case), it is fine for me to be able to read a note associated with a MLO task item.  However, from time to time, I still need to view the note listing, but I can not figure it out how, so the question as in the thread title becomes important to me, please share some useful information to me, thanks.

Edited by Benjamin X Yang
Adding a question mark

Share this post


Link to post

Hi.  The default view of the Android app is 'All Notes',  which is equivalent to the snippet view in the desktop app.  The size of the app on a mobile device depends on how much information is stored in the temporary cache and how many notes are retained for offline access.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  The default view of the Android app is 'All Notes',  which is equivalent to the snippet view in the desktop app.  The size of the app on a mobile device depends on how much information is stored in the temporary cache and how many notes are retained for offline access.

Hello, thanks for your information, does your reply apply to Evernote free account?

Share this post


Link to post

If you have the Basic (free) account,  you won't be able to select notebooks for offline access,  so the footprint will be purely the app and any cache used.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you have the Basic (free) account,  you won't be able to select notebooks for offline access,  so the footprint will be purely the app and any cache used.

Appreciate it, then I still need to know how things work based on my user environment.

Share this post


Link to post

Evernote does not offer a mobile browser web view. The native Evernote app for Android is the best way to view your notes on Android mobile devices.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, briancaldwell said:

Evernote does not offer a mobile browser web view. The native Evernote app for Android is the best way to view your notes on Android mobile devices.

Hello @briancaldwell, thank you for your attention, then I hope "the best way" could be better.

Share this post


Link to post

@Benjamin X Yang Please consider describing exactly what problems you have with Evernote for Android. Unfortunately "the app is too big and too slow and not practical" is not very actionable for us. Be as specific as possible in your comments, so our Android team may consider your input. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/17/2017 at 3:41 PM, briancaldwell said:

Evernote does not offer a mobile browser web view.

Ah, but we know that strictly speaking, that's not true -- it's easy enough to get around this, at least on Android. However:

On 4/17/2017 at 3:41 PM, briancaldwell said:

The native Evernote app for Android is the best way to view your notes on Android mobile devices.

This is almost always true. Using the web client on my phone is just not all that much fun. :) But sometimes you want independent verification of what you're seeing in the native client, and the web version does that. 

Grain-of-salt should be applied to this advice...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@jefito Perhaps I should have said "Evernote does not intentionally make a  mobile web view available, where that view has been optimized to look great and function as a full featured mobile web client." or something like that. ;-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@briancaldwell No doubt, the native client is by far preferable and functional, and I like it a lot; I certainly agree that "the native Evernote app for Android is the best way to view your notes on Android mobile devices". On the other hand, the web client is a nice-to-have tool in your bag for certain situations. In my case, I can use it on my phone to look at unshared notebooks in my work account so that I don't need to log out of my personal account on the Android client. It's not pretty or convenient, and I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but it does work.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 19.4.2017 at 6:32 PM, jefito said:

Ah, but we know that strictly speaking, that's not true -- it's easy enough to get around this, at least on Android.

 

Is there really a way to view shared notes on android phones without using the Evernote app ? Can you explain how to do it ?

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, LL2525 said:

Is there really a way to view shared notes on android phones without using the Evernote app ? Can you explain how to do it ?

Hi.  I think that's a different question than the one asked by the OP.  If you know the public URL of a note,  you'll be able to see it in any web browser on any device.  The important word there being 'public'.  Anyone with that URL can see the note directly,  so don't use this for personal or confidential information.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 4.5.2017 at 0:59 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  I think that's a different question than the one asked by the OP.  If you know the public URL of a note,  you'll be able to see it in any web browser on any device.  The important word there being 'public'.  Anyone with that URL can see the note directly,  so don't use this for personal or confidential information.

First sorry for my late response...

I have just created a short note called "A public note #1" on my Windows 7 desktop Evernote and shared it to the public.

Here is the note public link http://www.evernote.com/l/ACruNCYGiBNAXalNLu3XnR5y6g8YHvVHLVU/

Can you please check and tell me if you can view the note on an android device without using the Evernote app.

I tested it on the native browser of an android phone and ONLY the title of the note is displayed.

Evernote 6.5.4.4720
Win 7 x64

Share this post


Link to post

I sent this URL to my phone as a text message, copied it from the text into my browser's address bar, and tapped Go. The browser (Opera Mobile) opened the note. It doesn't seem to have much content (the title, "A public note #1"; created date; sharing status; the public URL; and an image of the Modify Sharing dialog); is that what it's supposed to be?

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I sent this URL to my phone as a text message, copied it from the text into my browser's address bar, and tapped Go. The browser (Opera Mobile) opened the note. It doesn't seem to have much content (the title, "A public note #1"; created date; sharing status; the public URL; and an image of the Modify Sharing dialog); is that what it's supposed to be?

Thank you @Dave-in-Decatur. Yes, you succeeded viewing my public-shared note on your Opera Mobile browser.

I still need to know if it can be viewed on a native android browser.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, Opera Mobile is "native Android," in that it was developed specifically for use on Android. But I tried it on 3 other browsers (CM, Chrome, and one just called Internet). The last-named is probably the stock browser on the phone. At any rate, it worked equally well on all of them. So this does seem to be a functional method. Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, LL2525 said:

Thank you @Dave-in-Decatur. Yes, you succeeded viewing my public-shared note on your Opera Mobile browser.

I still need to know if it can be viewed on a native android browser.

Note sure about your so-called "native android browser", I clicked the link via Android/Gmail, and it opened a browser not belonging any of my installed browser app, and I can see the public note, hope this help.

But to be clear, this thread is about a "Viewing a note listing" in Android browser(An issue not solved yet), not a single note.

Edited by Benjamin X Yang
Grammer and typo, and adding more details.

Share this post


Link to post

Voting for Firefox on Android here - clicking the link automatically jumps to the browser assigned to deal with web links,  which is my case is Fx.  And I can see the note in the browser.  (You do get a big green invitation to get Evernote too.)

Share this post


Link to post

Hello All,

I just found the trick to do the titled issue, so I would like to share it here, I tried to change Google Chrome setting to "Request Desktop Site" and then logged in to Evernote web, now I can view the note listing in Android/Google Chrome browser.  Following an idea coming from nowhere,  I searched and found a webpage talking about this(Android — How Do I View the Desktop Version of Web Pages?) and tried the option 1 in there.  Hope this help.

Regards,

 

KC aka Ben

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...