Limits on number of devices

dennisdonelson

Idea

Just received notice that I can use Evernote on only 2 devices, unless I pay. One of the initial attractions was that I could access my notes everywhere. Now I have to choose between work, my phone and my home. This is disappointing. It motivates me to look for alternative access tools rather than motivating me to pay. I understand the need for revenue, but my initial reaction is that this limits utility and makes me less likely to turn to Evernote for this functionality. 

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dennisdonelson said:

Just received notice that I can use Evernote on only 2 devices, unless I pay. One of the initial attractions was that I could access my notes everywhere. Now I have to choose between work, my phone and my home.  

The 2 device limit has been in place for quite a while

Note: This is simultaneous access.  You can swap out devices at any time
Also, web access is not counted

>>It motivates me to look for alternative access tools rather than motivating me to pay.

Either way, it's a win for Evernote
Just out of 
curiosity - what would motivate you to pay for this service you use at work, home, and on your phone

DTLow:  Today I received a notice that I had Evernote on 3 devices and needed to un-authorize one. Although the 2 device limit may have been in place for a while, today is when it came to me. 

The thing that would motivate me to pay would be the absence of free alternatives. 

I'm completely open to Evernote needing revenue - obviously they need to receive income from somewhere. But from my perspective the attractiveness of a resource is affected by its price. If the price goes up, it's less attractive and motivates me to study my options. 

I'm curious about what you mean by "either way it's a win for Evernote"

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dennisdonelson said:

I'm curious about what you mean by "either way it's a win for Evernote"

You are using Evernote and not paying for the service
- your use incurrs costs which need to be covered

Ideally you will be motivated to subscribe to a paying account, which will be good for Evernote

However,  you indicated a move to alternate services.  
This will also be good for Evernote because they will no longer have to pay for your costs

Okay now i feel cherished . . . stay or go . . . fine either way.

that should make for some catchy marketing . . . 

accepting advertising seems to be a successful alternative for other business models

this is NOT a big deal. it's just that when free stuff starts costing to maintain, as opposed to enhance, it's not a welcome change.

Oh well. That's life. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dennisdonelson said:

How is this different from any other product that has a price tag? You assess whether it works for you at the price point, and choose to pay or not. Me, I use Evernote every day, at home and at work (one premium account, and one free), and premium is way less than my coffee bill. So I'm happy to pay. Your use case may be different. So be it. Of course Evernote wants your business, but if Evernote doesn't suit you, they understand that as well. It's not a case of cherishing each individual snowflake, it's a case of expecting people to be able to make rational decisions in a competitive marketplace. Businesses don't tend to put things quite so bluntly, but that's really the bottom line anyways.

As it is, the free service is a pretty good deal. I'm not interested in having ads all over software that I use all the time, and for my use case the free one works nicely with premium. It's a good intro to the full package and Evernote hopes that you'll upgrade for the plus or premium extras, but they're fine if you don't; you can still use it for free.

For people like me (and DTLow, I suspect) who aren't Evernote employees (or paid to be forum helpers either), we couldn't care much less whether you choose to use it or not; we have no financial stake in things, and we don't check ypur account status when we answer questions in the forum.

So yes, stay or go, fine either way...

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, dennisdonelson said:

that should make for some catchy marketing . . . 

This is just a user discussion, but fwiw being "cherished" by Evernote could be indicated by them issuing you software and processing your data at no charge

Archived