Evernote for iOS 8.2 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi all,

This morning we released version 8.2 of iOS to the App Store. You can download it here. This version includes -

• Performance improvements: The app and camera launch faster, and notes and tags load faster. Scrolling through your list of notes is smoother and more responsive.
  • Enhanced business cards: Include both sides and easily update fields when you scan business cards.
  • Access reminders more quickly: Tap the clock up top, to the right of the search bar. Reminders are now listed by due date, not date created or updated.
  • Added Norwegian language support.
  • Made numerous bug fixes and improvements, including several crashes.

Thanks, 

Chantal and the rest of the iOS team!

56 replies to this idea

Evernote does not disclose roadmaps on the forum or anywhere else. Neither for product development nor bug fixings. Period.

If you think 10 days are long to wait for Evernote to fix their bugs, you're going to suffer a lot frustrations.

Edit: I thought I was quoting the above post from Chad CEO. So it was a response to that. Obviously.

2 hours ago, richard webb said:

I am finding it displays some notes with a simple table and 2 pdf's in it are unreadable. Any thoughts on why or how to resolve 

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

I have found by adding text to each box it helps.  but it shouldn't need to have this done! 

Thank you for again sorting reminders by due date; it's very helpful. I'd like to suggest adding this feature to saved searches in the iOS client. I have a saved search for reminders that meet certain criteria, and they span multiple notebooks. When I view the saved search results on the Windows client I can see them sorted by due date; it would be helpful to be able to do that in the iOS version as well. Thanks.

I accessed a note on my iPhone and discovered the content in the body is different than the same note on the Web and Windows clients. I did not edit the note. Moreover this was not an issue with this note (to which I refer at least weekly) prior to the v8.2 upgrade. Evernote has introduced yet another bug into the iOS client.

Before anyone suggests contacting support, yes, I will contact them and I also know from experience I'll get the runaround. 

I used to be a vocal supporter of Evernote. I've defended everything from removing features from the free version to the price hikes. I've recommended Evernote to many people. That's why I am so disappointed with my experience with Evernote over the last few months. After raising the prices, the company has issued a defective product that has negatively impacted my ability to work. 

It would be a huge hassle to migrate from Evernote to a different product but I'm starting to feel like I may not have a choice. The product no longer works reliably.

On 4/12/2017 at 4:01 AM, DGW said:

I, for one, am very glad that this closes automatically. That way you can quickly make a to-do item. When you hit return, it creates a checkbox on the next line for the next to-do item.

Wasn't this what various ones were complaining about in the previous release, that it took extra taps because this dialog didn't close?

Agree, I like this auto-close too, but I suggest these quick formatting tools should be visible permanently above the keyboard. Especillay on iPad with more space just empty today.

Current beta 8.2 is acting much more erratically than previous version on my iPad Pro. 

* add photo doesn't work.  Photo identified in dialog but is not placed in note. 

* EN returns  to "all notes" display, even after search / tag filter has been applied in previous visit to EN. 

* Syncing is slow, resulting in app being unresponsive when accessed.  THIS NEEDS TO BE  FIXED because mobile workers need 'just in time' access to their notes!  

* Some notes do not show their content.  App unresponsive except for circling 'wait' icon until app is stopped. (Up swipe) and relaunched.  Note content can then be accessed (after re-searching for note.) 

It's fine on my iPhone 6s Plus but still it's laggy on my 12.9 iPad Pro, there seems to be an issue with the iPad line specifically because that seems to be where the bulk of the complaints are.

I installed the update on my iPhone 5s (iOS 10.3.1). Since then, opening a note from search results crashed the app. I reinstalled the app, now it crashes a couple of seconds after I launch it without me doing anything else... 

So, the update made Evernote unusable on my iPhone :-(

On 4/12/2017 at 1:56 AM, Chad CEO said:

Did you guys purposely remove the ability to have double space formatting in the iOS app? Now, my notes that had double spacing are being displayed as single spacing in version 8.2. Please fix!

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/105495-ios-82-does-not-read-double-line-spacing-formatting/

An answer either way would be appreciated.

Would it be possible for you guys to respond to me? I would like to know if and when you planning on fixing this issue.

Please let me know if you are planning to have consistent line spacing across platforms.

Also, if you could give an expected date for the next update, your mistreated customers might be more patient with you all.

On 4/19/2017 at 8:08 AM, Chad CEO said:

Would it be possible for you guys to respond to me? I would like to know if and when you planning on fixing this issue.

Please let me know if you are planning to have consistent line spacing across platforms.

Also, if you could give an expected date for the next update, your mistreated customers might be more patient with you all.

This is a user forum. While Evernote employees do read it and sometimes respond, that's not a guarantee. Your best bet for a response is to submit a support ticket if you're a paying user, or to send a support tweet to Evernote via Twitter if you're not.

As you can tell from my prior post, I'm exasperated with Evernote as well. But there's no sense banging your head against a brick wall trying to get them to respond here because there is no guarantee that they will.

I have an update regarding the issue I posted about above: according to support, they've had other reports about this issue and it is not new with v8.2. There is a fix for it in beta at the moment and if it passes muster it will be part of an upcoming 8.2.1 release.

I regret letting my frustration get the better of me; my experiences with Evernote support have been somewhat mixed, but I certainly have not always gotten the "runaround" from them and I think Evernote's support has improved over the last year or two. I think Evernote's support staff responded appropriately in this instance.

On the other hand, FWIW to anyone from Evernote who is reading this, this issue among others with v8.x of the iOS client has caused me to lose confidence in Evernote's reliability. I'd like to avoid the hassle of changing to another product, and therefore I'm hoping Evernote can get this and other issues with the iOS client straightened out. But this roll-out has been much rockier than I would have expected. My two cents.

2 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

This is a user forum. While Evernote employees do read it and sometimes respond, that's not a guarantee. Your best bet for a response is to submit a support ticket if you're a paying user, or to send a support tweet to Evernote via Twitter if you're not.

As you can tell from my prior post, I'm exasperated with Evernote as well. But there's no sense banging your head against a brick wall trying to get them to respond here because there is no guarantee that they will.

Hey Bill, great point. I actually reached out to their support system. It wasn't even a real EV employee. But, I got to know that line spacing is an issue. Here is the response and my response as well (for anyone with the same issue):

Hi There,

This is Aisha, an Evernote Community Leader and one of the Expertise Network members at the Directly platform . we are experienced Evernote users who assist the Support Staff by helping out fellow Evernote users in the community.( we are not employed by Evernote.)

I'm sorry you're facing this issue. It's in fact a known issue that came up with the latest ios update. Some users have reported uninstalling and reinstalling the app solves it. We don't have a n ETA but this issue is expected to be fixed in an update soon.

Please let me know if a fresh install helps.

Sincerely
Aisha A

To which I said:

Hey Aisha, it's nice to have confirmation that this is a known issue and being worked on. I have tried to do a fresh install and it did not help. I will be eagerly waiting for the next update and the fix. It has been a long 10 days of not being able to use the mobile app (since Apr 10). If you do find out when the next release is coming, I would be grateful to know as well.

Seriously though, it's been 10 days. It would be awesome if EV had a status page and actually kept us posted on development and timelines of when we could have basic and normal services restored. We can only hope for an update "soon".

10 minutes ago, pgdahl said:

Evernote does not disclose roadmaps on the forum or anywhere else. Neither for product development nor bug fixings. Period.

If you think 10 days are long to wait for Evernote to fix their bugs, you're going to suffer a lot frustrations.

Edit: I thought I was quoting the above post from Chad CEO. So it was a response to that. Obviously.

Thanks "Guru" pgdhal. I was referring to how other companies will have a status blog or page to keep their users informed. But, hey, you're the expert on EV's roadmaps and long waits. Thanks for the completely constructive and not useless response. You seemed to grasp the point that I was documenting a response from the (unpaid) support team.

Anyways, to add value (because that's what members of a community do instead of spam forums and magically become "Gurus" because of post numbers), I have put together the dates of the recent updates since 8.0. So, it's not crazy to expect an update in as short as 2 days or as long as a couple months:

• 1/17/17 - 8.0
  • 1/18/17 - 8.0.1
  • 1/22/17 - 8.0.2
  • 1/26/17 - 8.0.3
  • 2/2/17 - 8.0.4
  • 2/13/17 - 8.1
  • 4/10/17 - 8.2

Like I said, based on the support response, they know about the line spacing issue. Hopefully, we can expect an update soon. 10 days is a long time to not be able to use a mobile app at all (that's if you actually do work instead of spamming forums all day).

4 minutes ago, Chad CEO said:

Thanks "Guru" pgdhal. I was referring to how other companies will have a status blog or page to keep their users informed. But, hey, you're the expert on EV's roadmaps and long waits. Thanks for the completely constructive and not useless response. You seemed to grasp the point that I was documenting a response from the (unpaid) support team.

Anyways, to add value (because that's what members of a community do instead of spam forums and magically become "Gurus" because of post numbers), I have put together the dates of the recent updates since 8.0. So, it's not crazy to expect an update in as short as 2 days or as long as a couple months:

• 1/17/17 - 8.0
  • 1/18/17 - 8.0.1
  • 1/22/17 - 8.0.2
  • 1/26/17 - 8.0.3
  • 2/2/17 - 8.0.4
  • 2/13/17 - 8.1
  • 4/10/17 - 8.2

Like I said, based on the support response, they know about the line spacing issue. Hopefully, we can expect an update soon. 10 days is a long time to not be able to use a mobile app at all (that's if you actually do work instead of spamming forums all day).

You were asking for a roadmap, release dates or time when your bug is fixed. And it is a known fact that Evernote generally does not provide such. So no point in hoping for them to do so. Thank you, you're welcome. 

(Yes, the guru label is random and pointless. I have earned it by complaining a lot.)

• Level 5*

@Chantal Leonard

Just wondering if you guys are addressing the issue with table formatting introduced with version 8.  Now a table cannot be edited on an IOS device without totaling hosing the format.  To the point you can't even fix it by dragging column widths back on the PC since min-width: 70px has been added to the formatting.  You have to go to ENML and fix it there.  A major PITA on all fronts.  A table you want to modify on the go is kind of useless now.  Viewable only on IOS devices.

Also wondering, out of interest, why it was decided to change the format on IOS when tables can't be added or row/column adjusted there.  Don't get it.  Anyhow, would appreciate a remedy to this.  Thanks.

EDIT:

Also the 10px padding just eats up way too much screen space.  I guess I kind of like to format tables the way I want to see them and would just as soon not have that be changed.  Don't understand why it has to be either.

EDIT:

Support ticket number 2078708, includes an example.

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

@Chantal Leonard

Just wondering if you guys are addressing the issue with table formatting introduced with version 8.  Now a table cannot be edited on an IOS device without totaling hosing the format.  To the point you can't even fix it by dragging column widths back on the PC since min-width: 70px has been added to the formatting.  You have to go to ENML and fix it there.  A major PITA on all fronts.  A table you want to modify on the go is kind of useless now.  Viewable only on IOS devices.

Also wondering, out of interest, why it was decided to change the format on IOS when tables can't be added or row/column adjusted there.  Don't get it.  Anyhow, would appreciate a remedy to this.  Thanks.

EDIT:

Also the 10px padding juts eats up way too much screen space.  I guess I kind of like to format tables the way I want to see them and would just as soon not have that be changed.  Don't understand why it has to be either.

EDIT:

Support ticket number 2078708, includes an example.

I'm looking at the support ticket

23 hours ago, magickaleva said:

I'm a longtime Evernote user, and I understand your frustration, Bill. I've got tons of vital stuff in Evernote, including information I use everyday. I certainly hope that their product and service will not become disappointments.

The number of issues with v8.x and their severity have been so very staggering that I no longer trust Evernote for anything vital. If I must have access to something I'm finding other places to put it, and will continue to do so until (or unless, depending on one's level of optimism) my confidence in Evernote as a reliable service can be restored. 

On 4/19/2017 at 7:08 AM, Chad CEO said:

Howdy, I replied to the original forum post where you reported this issue. I will figure out what is going on in those notes....

• Level 5*
On 4/21/2017 at 11:30 AM, Johnathan Hebert said:

I saw the screenshots in your ticket, and asked CS to get some ENEX files and more info from you. I will take a look as soon as we get it. Thanks!

Yeah, got a message from CS, they also mentioned Gustavo.  Anyway sent them ENEXs of the base template I use for phone calls, plus a before and after trip to IOS EN.  Got the after by duplicating the before and modifying it on IOS.  Feel free to use the template and generate your own test cases with the IOS EN version.

When searching by tag, after selecting the tag(s) I've noticed you have to tap "Done" in the upper right corner twice to actually execute the search. This is a bit frustrating given that v8.x has already made searching by tags more cumbersome than prior versions of the iOS client.

Second, I'm now finding the iOS app crashes when I try to open a particular note. The note opens fine in the Windows client, so it appears to be an issue with the iOS client. I will submit yet another support request, but I think it bears mentioning here as well.

I rely on the desktop app feature that allows saving the sort order (including reverse sort) with specific notebooks or saved searches.  While I realize that the ios app does not currently have this feature, it would be enormously helpful to at least have the iOS app respect the saved sort options that were created via the desktop app...  for both Notebooks AND Saved Searches (see attached screenshots from the desktop app).

Also, wouldn't doing this address the myriad of sorting related feature requests that many here on the forum have been posting?  It would be better of course to add these options to the iOS app itself, but if not, at least respecting the desktop app saved sorting options would be the next best thing.

Thank you for considering my request.

5900ecfe23b1f_SavedSort-Notebooks.png.370db4fb3a80a5ebcc0ccfde5508091b.png 5900ecfebb601_SavedSort-SavedSearches.png.65d6ef814bdcc93af60070f7aa94bda9.png

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, alisah said:

There's just too much "new" features that android users already have, so consider me not impressed. Defend it all you want, but i think even isheeps can understand that quite a lot of "new" features are just plain catch ups.

You're posting in the feedback discussion for an old release.
We see this in all  platforms; both new features, and parity catch up with other platforms.

• Level 5*

Definitely faster for me, thanks.  On all fronts; app open, search results, scrolling, note display, sync icon disappearing.  Good job in getting the speed back.  :)

A couple of points (how could there not be):

1. BUG:  If I modify a table on the IOS device which I created as fixed width, the fixed width formatting gets hosed.  
    • I prefer fixed width as opposed to dynamic column widths.  I mod most tables to be fixed width and have some templates to make it easier.  Prior to this version, those fixed widths were maintained in the display and editing in IOS.  Not so with this release.  It's kind of a random act of violence as to how the columns are sized on display.  But worse is the destroying of the format if I enter data into the table.
  2. Reminder searches don't sort in reminder due date order.  
    • For example, I have a search for reminders due in the next 7 days,  It would seem logical to sort the results of this search by reminder due date (only notes with reminders are in the result set).  That's what gets done on the PC.  Reminder sort by notebook is too broad in these cases.

EDIT:  Here are before and after screen shots for the table issue (width changes, row height changes):

Before.png.22762ed137e55a3178096589b981fcc6.png   After.png.6e3080de22d412e822182676e46da0cf.png

• Level 5*
On 2017-04-10 at 0:12 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

This morning we released version 8.2 of iOS to the App Store.

Bug Report: Table column width is messed up.  This applies to many of my notes; thousands

My tables are created on a Mac, and it looks like the widths have changed to minimum values.  
We saw this with beta 3 on a recent Mac release

Table view on my Mac58ec288168dfb_ScreenShot2017-04-10at5_49_06PM.png.37ccf4786505ba0478c7175e11e9941f.png

Table view on iPad IMG_1630.PNG.35497056f4c5bf641aea161e25d0d242.PNG

Edited: Ticket #2072331

Thank you for the screenshots. Our development team has been made aware of this behavior in the iOS app and they're diligently working to rectify the issue. The fix will be included in an upcoming release, so please stay tuned.

35 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Definitely faster for me, thanks.  On all fronts; app open, search results, scrolling, note display, sync icon disappearing.  Good job in getting the speed back.  :)

A couple of points (how could there not be):

1. BUG:  If I modify a table on the IOS device which I created as fixed width, the fixed width formatting gets hosed.  
    • I prefer fixed width as opposed to dynamic column widths.  I mod most tables to be fixed width and have some templates to make it easier.  Prior to this version, those fixed widths were maintained in the display and editing in IOS.  Not so with this release.  It's kind of a random act of violence as to how the columns are sized on display.  But worse is the destroying of the format if I enter data into the table.
  2. Reminder searches don't sort in reminder due date order.  
    • For example, I have a search for reminders due in the next 7 days,  It would seem logical to sort the results of this search by reminder due date (only notes with reminders are in the result set).  That's what gets done on the PC.  Reminder sort by notebook is too broad in these cases.

EDIT:  Here are before and after screen shots for the table issue (width changes, row height changes):

Before.png.22762ed137e55a3178096589b981fcc6.png   After.png.6e3080de22d412e822182676e46da0cf.png

Oh hell yeah...much faster when opening....but:

in the app store description, it states " Access Reminder more quickly...Tap the clock up top, to the right of the search bar"

Uh...what clock by the search bar....not on iPhone, iPad, or MacOS versions. Or am I blind?

I was hoping for more 3D Touch emphasis with this update too: New List note or view reminders from the home screen with a long press on the app.

But at least were are working towards improvement! Always great to have a step in the right direction!

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Made numerous bug fixes and improvements, including several crashes.

There were many, many bugs and crashes reported for Ver 8.0 and 8.1.  How about telling us which bugs you have actually fixed with this release?

Sorry, but I still have very low confidence in Evernote updates, especially iOS updates, where you often introduce more bugs that you fix.  I'm not trying to be ugly here, just reporting the real world as I see it.  I can't understand why you guys don't put more real effort into debug and test BEFORE you make a release.

I'm staying on EN iOS Ver 7 until you guys prove that you have made a reliable, stable update.

I set a password for Evernote app.

But when I start Evernote app, it shows notes once and then blocked.

I think if someone set a password, the password window should come first.

I want you guys to fix this problem.

I sent report several times, but it still exists.

I unchecked to show notes on a widget.

But on the widget, there is a message that I can see the notes which I recently read.

I think if I unchecked to show notes on a widget, it should be removed this message too.

And I hope there an option to switch the simple view and more view.

I only want to see buttons, not notes or that message.

When I push the + button on the iPhone 6 still.... nothing happens. I paid for  Evernote, i use it for Work. Why, Evernote, the last years you let loyal users lost confidence in you?

1 hour ago, prjna said:

I set a password for Evernote app.

But when I start Evernote app, it shows notes once and then blocked.

I think if someone set a password, the password window should come first.

I want you guys to fix this problem.

I sent report several times, but it still exists.

I think this is iOS behavior.. I see the same issue in several other aps such as my Online Banking app... but sure... it shouldn't be like that.

Just now, KrisGal said:

I think this is iOS behavior.. I see the same issue in several other aps such as my Online Banking app... but sure... it shouldn't be like that.

Thank you for your reply KrisGal.

Unfortunately, I don't think so.

Because I had experienced the exactly same problem before with older Evernote app.

It fixed and revealed again after 8.0.

1. I'm still getting massive response delays on the  order of minutes were the entire application locks up and then eventually responds on an iPad Air 2. 
  2. The dark left sided functions bar still takes up way too much screen real estate. 

Even when the app is responding, I am getting several second delays  between typing in seeing the text appear in spurts. 

I guess the A8x chip doesn't have enough horsepower to keep up with the application? So far it's running smoothly on my iPhone 7.

Some notes have duplicated pictures in iOS version.

But it looks normal in macOS version.

And during I try to fix this by deleting one other picture, sometimes the preview and note don't match.

I am very disappointed about these bugs.

IMG_4910.mp4

Hi, since I updated my Evernote on iPad I have many problems. After I started the app it always ends immediately. Now I try a new installation and new synchronisation of all notes. I hope it will fix my problems.

Regards 

bhslmr

Hi,

sadly the performance is equally rubish for me as it was before (iphone SE)

and additionally, can we please get a swipe back feature to the first level were all Note are showns. Where it saves the previous screen with position and stack expandedness (if this is a word). Its annoying to always click on the bottom left notes button to look in the same stack for a different note

Thanks for listening!

Thanks for getting my reminders ordered by due date.  That's a huge plus for me as I tend to put reminders in project folders and it's hard to figure out which due date is coming up first.  Now I can get rid of the daily email that tells me what is due.:)

12 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

There were many, many bugs and crashes reported for Ver 8.0 and 8.1.  How about telling us which bugs you have actually fixed with this release?

Sorry, but I still have very low confidence in Evernote updates, especially iOS updates, where you often introduce more bugs that you fix.  I'm not trying to be ugly here, just reporting the real world as I see it.  I can't understand why you guys don't put more real effort into debug and test BEFORE you make a release.

I'm staying on EN iOS Ver 7 until you guys prove that you have made a reliable, stable update.

+1 to that. I'm happy to let others beta test each new EN release, having seen what a mess v8.0 and v8.1 were. No plans to update on either the iPad or iPhone until v8.2 has been proven stable for others. 

Convenient? Nope, but my data and workflow are too valuable to risk it.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, bogey08 said:
  • Enhanced business cards: Include both sides and easily update fields when you scan business cards.
  • Please explain how to scan business cards on both sides.
  • Thanks

As best as I can tell, it is a two step process.  After you have taken a picture of the front and saved the note you then have to go into your note list, select the note and then tap edit.  Scroll to the bottom of the note and you will see Add Back of Card.

Performance is better, but why do you keep taking things away??? First it was the ever-popular (noted by many posts) alphabet bar along the right side of the iOS iPhone app. Now for some unknown reason, you changed the way checkboxes work. I use a row of checkboxes to count how many items I have in one note. It used to simply be click the number of checkboxes for the number of ones I wanted. Now I need to click the checkbox, it closes, open it back up and click again, it closes, etc. Maybe soon we'll get all the functionality back with the performance improvements. Thanks for trying.

8 minutes ago, dcwebman said:

Performance is better, but why do you keep taking things away??? First it was the ever-popular (noted by many posts) alphabet bar along the right side of the iOS iPhone app. Now for some unknown reason, you changed the way checkboxes work. I use a row of checkboxes to count how many items I have in one note. It used to simply be click the number of checkboxes for the number of ones I wanted. Now I need to click the checkbox, it closes, open it back up and click again, it closes, etc. Maybe soon we'll get all the functionality back with the performance improvements. Thanks for trying.

The checkbox closes? What are you referring to? 

44 minutes ago, macneilpi said:

The checkbox closes? What are you referring to? 

Crick #1 to get the list options where the checkbox is. Click #2 which is the checkbox. It closes and goes back to where you can only click #1. Repeat. It used to stay open and you could keep clicking #2 (the checkbox) multiple times.

IMG_4435-crop.png

I, for one, am very glad that this closes automatically. That way you can quickly make a to-do item. When you hit return, it creates a checkbox on the next line for the next to-do item.

Wasn't this what various ones were complaining about in the previous release, that it took extra taps because this dialog didn't close?

26 minutes ago, DGW said:

It hasn't worked that way in the iPhone app for years.

Archived