Chantal Leonard

Evernote for iOS 8.2 Released

Idea

Hi all,

This morning we released version 8.2 of iOS to the App Store. You can download it here. This version includes -

• Performance improvements: The app and camera launch faster, and notes and tags load faster. Scrolling through your list of notes is smoother and more responsive.
  • Enhanced business cards: Include both sides and easily update fields when you scan business cards.
  • Access reminders more quickly: Tap the clock up top, to the right of the search bar. Reminders are now listed by due date, not date created or updated.
  • Added Norwegian language support.
  • Made numerous bug fixes and improvements, including several crashes.

Thanks, 

Chantal and the rest of the iOS team!

4 people like this

54 replies to this idea

Posted (edited)

Definitely faster for me, thanks.  On all fronts; app open, search results, scrolling, note display, sync icon disappearing.  Good job in getting the speed back.  :)

A couple of points (how could there not be):

1. BUG:  If I modify a table on the IOS device which I created as fixed width, the fixed width formatting gets hosed.  
    • I prefer fixed width as opposed to dynamic column widths.  I mod most tables to be fixed width and have some templates to make it easier.  Prior to this version, those fixed widths were maintained in the display and editing in IOS.  Not so with this release.  It's kind of a random act of violence as to how the columns are sized on display.  But worse is the destroying of the format if I enter data into the table.
  2. Reminder searches don't sort in reminder due date order.  
    • For example, I have a search for reminders due in the next 7 days,  It would seem logical to sort the results of this search by reminder due date (only notes with reminders are in the result set).  That's what gets done on the PC.  Reminder sort by notebook is too broad in these cases.

EDIT:  Here are before and after screen shots for the table issue (width changes, row height changes):

Before.png.22762ed137e55a3178096589b981fcc6.png   After.png.6e3080de22d412e822182676e46da0cf.png

Edited by csihilling
Added before and after IOS mod to a table in a note
1 person likes this

On 2017-04-10 at 0:12 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

This morning we released version 8.2 of iOS to the App Store.

Bug Report: Table column width is messed up.  This applies to many of my notes; thousands

My tables are created on a Mac, and it looks like the widths have changed to minimum values.  
We saw this with beta 3 on a recent Mac release

Table view on my Mac58ec288168dfb_ScreenShot2017-04-10at5_49_06PM.png.37ccf4786505ba0478c7175e11e9941f.png

Table view on iPad IMG_1630.PNG.35497056f4c5bf641aea161e25d0d242.PNG

Edited: Ticket #2072331

Thank you for the screenshots. Our development team has been made aware of this behavior in the iOS app and they're diligently working to rectify the issue. The fix will be included in an upcoming release, so please stay tuned.

1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Definitely faster for me, thanks.  On all fronts; app open, search results, scrolling, note display, sync icon disappearing.  Good job in getting the speed back.  :)

A couple of points (how could there not be):

1. BUG:  If I modify a table on the IOS device which I created as fixed width, the fixed width formatting gets hosed.  
    • I prefer fixed width as opposed to dynamic column widths.  I mod most tables to be fixed width and have some templates to make it easier.  Prior to this version, those fixed widths were maintained in the display and editing in IOS.  Not so with this release.  It's kind of a random act of violence as to how the columns are sized on display.  But worse is the destroying of the format if I enter data into the table.
  2. Reminder searches don't sort in reminder due date order.  
    • For example, I have a search for reminders due in the next 7 days,  It would seem logical to sort the results of this search by reminder due date (only notes with reminders are in the result set).  That's what gets done on the PC.  Reminder sort by notebook is too broad in these cases.

EDIT:  Here are before and after screen shots for the table issue (width changes, row height changes):

Before.png.22762ed137e55a3178096589b981fcc6.png   After.png.6e3080de22d412e822182676e46da0cf.png

Oh hell yeah...much faster when opening....but:

in the app store description, it states " Access Reminder more quickly...Tap the clock up top, to the right of the search bar"

Uh...what clock by the search bar....not on iPhone, iPad, or MacOS versions. Or am I blind?

I was hoping for more 3D Touch emphasis with this update too: New List note or view reminders from the home screen with a long press on the app.

But at least were are working towards improvement! Always great to have a step in the right direction!

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, macneilpi said:

Uh...what clock by the search bar

From my iPad      IMG_1631.PNG.001f8fd7bba9fffbfd9f49e6292f1a0f.PNG

8 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Made numerous bug fixes and improvements, including several crashes.

There were many, many bugs and crashes reported for Ver 8.0 and 8.1.  How about telling us which bugs you have actually fixed with this release?

Sorry, but I still have very low confidence in Evernote updates, especially iOS updates, where you often introduce more bugs that you fix.  I'm not trying to be ugly here, just reporting the real world as I see it.  I can't understand why you guys don't put more real effort into debug and test BEFORE you make a release.

I'm staying on EN iOS Ver 7 until you guys prove that you have made a reliable, stable update.

4 people like this

I set a password for Evernote app.

But when I start Evernote app, it shows notes once and then blocked.

I think if someone set a password, the password window should come first.

I want you guys to fix this problem.

I sent report several times, but it still exists.

2 people like this

I unchecked to show notes on a widget.

But on the widget, there is a message that I can see the notes which I recently read.

I think if I unchecked to show notes on a widget, it should be removed this message too.

And I hope there an option to switch the simple view and more view.

I only want to see buttons, not notes or that message.

When I push the + button on the iPhone 6 still.... nothing happens. I paid for  Evernote, i use it for Work. Why, Evernote, the last years you let loyal users lost confidence in you?

On support menu, send the support request, there is gray border which covers screen.

I think it should be removed.

제목 없음-1.png

1 person likes this

Note add an additional line under the last line of contents.

I reported the same problem on Mac version.

Suddenly it fixed on Mac but still remain on iOS.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, prjna said:

I set a password for Evernote app.

But when I start Evernote app, it shows notes once and then blocked.

I think if someone set a password, the password window should come first.

I want you guys to fix this problem.

I sent report several times, but it still exists.

I think this is iOS behavior.. I see the same issue in several other aps such as my Online Banking app... but sure... it shouldn't be like that.

On iPad, the system line and Evernote design mixed.

It doesn't look good.

IMG_4180.PNG

Just now, KrisGal said:

I think this is iOS behavior.. I see the same issue in several other aps such as my Online Banking app... but sure... it shouldn't be like that.

Thank you for your reply KrisGal.

Unfortunately, I don't think so.

Because I had experienced the exactly same problem before with older Evernote app.

It fixed and revealed again after 8.0.

Some notes cannot display the preview of their picture.

1 person likes this

Some notes have duplicated pictures in iOS version.

But it looks normal in macOS version.

And during I try to fix this by deleting one other picture, sometimes the preview and note don't match.

I am very disappointed about these bugs.

IMG_4910.mp4

1 person likes this

Hi, since I updated my Evernote on iPad I have many problems. After I started the app it always ends immediately. Now I try a new installation and new synchronisation of all notes. I hope it will fix my problems.

Regards 

bhslmr

Hi,

sadly the performance is equally rubish for me as it was before (iphone SE)

and additionally, can we please get a swipe back feature to the first level were all Note are showns. Where it saves the previous screen with position and stack expandedness (if this is a word). Its annoying to always click on the bottom left notes button to look in the same stack for a different note

Thanks for listening!

1 person likes this

Thanks for getting my reminders ordered by due date.  That's a huge plus for me as I tend to put reminders in project folders and it's hard to figure out which due date is coming up first.  Now I can get rid of the daily email that tells me what is due.:)

1 person likes this

• Enhanced business cards: Include both sides and easily update fields when you scan business cards.
  • Please explain how to scan business cards on both sides.
  • Thanks

12 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

There were many, many bugs and crashes reported for Ver 8.0 and 8.1.  How about telling us which bugs you have actually fixed with this release?

Sorry, but I still have very low confidence in Evernote updates, especially iOS updates, where you often introduce more bugs that you fix.  I'm not trying to be ugly here, just reporting the real world as I see it.  I can't understand why you guys don't put more real effort into debug and test BEFORE you make a release.

I'm staying on EN iOS Ver 7 until you guys prove that you have made a reliable, stable update.

+1 to that. I'm happy to let others beta test each new EN release, having seen what a mess v8.0 and v8.1 were. No plans to update on either the iPad or iPhone until v8.2 has been proven stable for others. 

Convenient? Nope, but my data and workflow are too valuable to risk it.

5 hours ago, bogey08 said:
  • Please explain how to scan business cards on both sides.
  • Thanks

As best as I can tell, it is a two step process.  After you have taken a picture of the front and saved the note you then have to go into your note list, select the note and then tap edit.  Scroll to the bottom of the note and you will see Add Back of Card.

Performance is better, but why do you keep taking things away??? First it was the ever-popular (noted by many posts) alphabet bar along the right side of the iOS iPhone app. Now for some unknown reason, you changed the way checkboxes work. I use a row of checkboxes to count how many items I have in one note. It used to simply be click the number of checkboxes for the number of ones I wanted. Now I need to click the checkbox, it closes, open it back up and click again, it closes, etc. Maybe soon we'll get all the functionality back with the performance improvements. Thanks for trying.

8 minutes ago, dcwebman said:

Performance is better, but why do you keep taking things away??? First it was the ever-popular (noted by many posts) alphabet bar along the right side of the iOS iPhone app. Now for some unknown reason, you changed the way checkboxes work. I use a row of checkboxes to count how many items I have in one note. It used to simply be click the number of checkboxes for the number of ones I wanted. Now I need to click the checkbox, it closes, open it back up and click again, it closes, etc. Maybe soon we'll get all the functionality back with the performance improvements. Thanks for trying.

The checkbox closes? What are you referring to? 

44 minutes ago, macneilpi said:

The checkbox closes? What are you referring to? 

Crick #1 to get the list options where the checkbox is. Click #2 which is the checkbox. It closes and goes back to where you can only click #1. Repeat. It used to stay open and you could keep clicking #2 (the checkbox) multiple times.

IMG_4435-crop.png

1 person likes this

I, for one, am very glad that this closes automatically. That way you can quickly make a to-do item. When you hit return, it creates a checkbox on the next line for the next to-do item.

Wasn't this what various ones were complaining about in the previous release, that it took extra taps because this dialog didn't close?