Idea

I know this has been mentioned before, but I think it's worth posting again.  It would be really useful and a better UX if searches included tag hierarchy. Or at the very least gave users an option to enable a hierarchical search of tags.  For example given three tags where apple and banana are children of fruit:

> fruit

> apple

> banana

I add two notes, and tag one apple and the other one banana.  Currently if I search 'tag:fruit' nothing is returned, but that is not intuitive given that I've organised my tags hierarchically.  What I believe is more natural, is if I search 'tag:fruit' thej it should return anything tagged fruit, apple, or banana.

Thanks!

Edited by tim-hm
clarification

11 replies to this idea

Dear Evernote,

What is the status on this request? It would be really helpful to have a tag search which includes the sub-tags as mentioned above. Maybe another keyword could be created in addition to "tag:".

Thanks.

This would be a game changer for search! 

The current tag hierarchy has only organizational advantages. Come on, Evernote, that's wasted potential.:(

(Here is a post I created back in 2012. I'm still actively using this method with my 50,000 notes.)

I've been using a 3 character prefix on many of my tags. For example, there is a full name "parent tag" (Company) and appropriate 3 character prefix "child tags" (Com-Amazon). Not only does it group similar tags together in the Left Panel, it also helps me to easily remember the tag name. Especially when I use Ctrl Alt T.

To avoid using quote marks, I do not permit any spaces in my tags. The spaces are always replaced with a dash. Here are a few of my tags as examples:

Company

Com-Amazon
Com-Ford
Com-Hewlett-Packard
Com-IBM
Com-Target

Government

Gov-Fed
Gov-State
Gov-County
Gov-Town

Insurance

Ins-Car
Ins-Dental
Ins-House
Ins-Life
Ins-Medical

Personal

Per-Exercise
Per-Gift
Per-House
Per-Payment
Per-Yard

p.s. the Per-Payment tag is very powerful when used with a company tag. It lets me find notes that contain payment information and eliminate the advertisements, the reminders, the non-payment related notes. So I can quickly see all my monthly payments to T-Mobile for instance.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 5:30 AM, Infor said:

The current tag hierarchy has only organizational advantages.

"organizational advantages" works for me

>>Come on, Evernote, that's wasted potential.

I understood the child search feature has been implemented in Evernote/Windows.
otoh  I'm not waiting for features, I'm acting for the present.

I use the prefix standard outlined by @jbenson2
A search of tag:fruit* includes all tags prefixed with "fruit"

7 hours ago, Infor said:

This would be a game changer for search! 

The current tag hierarchy has only organizational advantages. Come on, Evernote, that's wasted potential.:(

In the Windows client you can go to Tools - Options - Navigation and check Automatically select child tags if you want selecting a parent tag to include the children.  But that's about all it will do, can't really modify the search much after that.

• Like 1

I use Evernote on iMac (and MacBook Pro and iPad and iPhone).  I have the Plus membership. Is there some way I can have all sub tags included in a search on the corresponding higher tag?

Thanks

Dave

1 hour ago, IndiaDave said:

I use Evernote on iMac (and MacBook Pro and iPad and iPhone).  I have the Plus membership. Is there some way I can have all sub tags included in a search on the corresponding higher tag?

I use two solutions

1. Wildcard: !Budget* gets me all tags prefixed with !Budget
  2. AppleScript (Mac): gets me all tags with parent !Budget

I appreciate your suggestion. Yet I would have to re-write all my tags to include the parent name too (if I understand you correctly). I'm utterly unfamiliar with AppleScript, but I'll have to find some help writing that script.

I was really thinking that this type of search would be native within Evernote for Mac. I'm rather amazed that it isn't, so I'll have to wait. I am sure I won't upgrade to Premium until this gets solved. Hope it's soon!

11 minutes ago, IndiaDave said:

I was really thinking that this type of search would be native within Evernote for Mac. I'm rather amazed that it isn't, so I'll have to wait.

As noted in this discussion, the feature was implemented in Windows so there's a better chance for a Mac implementation.

The Windows implementation is a global setting; I'd prefer a per search setting.

I'm with you on that, but I'll gladly take the global setting if I can't get anything more.

Have fun!

Dave

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

As noted in this discussion, the feature was implemented in Windows so there's a better chance for a Mac implementation.

The Windows implementation is a global setting; I'd prefer a per search setting.

As a global setting in the Windows client, I'd consider it to be a clever hack (it adds all subtags to the search, and turns it into an "any:" search) and a nice try, but a failure nonetheless. I never use it, mainly because most of the time I just want to search for exactly what I asked for, and don't want a parent tag sneaking in and changing a search to an "any:" search. Plus I stumbled over this accidentally a number of times when adding tags via the Windows tag picker, by clicking on a parent tag, the search info exploded with all of its subtags (and it became an any: search). 

As a change to the search language, sure, that would be useful. Eons ago I suggested something an addition like: +tag:MyTag to search for MyTag or any of its children. This would be a separate term that doesn't turn the whole search into an "any:" search, meaning that this would be another way to make (limited) mixed AND/OR searches.