Notes with many images

jonnyb

Notes with many images always show broken links when first loading. but clicking a different note, then back to 'many images' note loads more of the images...but not all. You have to do this action many times before all images are loaded. 

What gives?

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 2.08.48 AM.png

• Level 5*

Given that we can only see around 14 image icons in the screen shot and one of those is 5MB,  if the whole lot average the same size you're loading 70MB (or more) in one note.  If so,  it appears you're testing the limits of the system.  The download is possibly timing out on a server somewhere.  You must be a premium user to have a note this big so contact Support on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action for more assistance (we're a -mainly- user-supported forum).  Meantime try splitting the images into smaller groups,  or use smaller images.

If the 5MB image is the largest in the group,  have you tried different devices?  Does the note perform differently on different connections - work vs home forinstance?

• Level 5

In my opinion, Evernote is not very good for storing lots of photos in a single note. Why? Mainly due to the huge size of today's images. Evernote can handle the occasional full sized photo or the downsized photos found on websites, but a program designed for many large photographs is a better solution. There are several free versions available.

For example, I store all my photos in Google Photos. My older photos are stored in Flicker. I can easily scroll through them and filter them.

If I need a reference photo added to Evernote, I will copy the URL to the photo from Google Photos or Flickr.. This gives me the information and the note is often less than 500 bytes. But if I put a photo into Evernote, the size of the note can easily blow up to something that is a thousand times bigger.

* To make the URL more informative, I use the Windows option to convert some descriptive text into a clickable hyperlink (Ctrl + K). Example below: not as pretty as the actual photo, but it lets me find the actual full-size original photo quickly.

Photo hyperlinks.png

17 hours ago, gazumped said:

Given that we can only see around 14 image icons in the screen shot and one of those is 5MB,  if the whole lot average the same size you're loading 70MB (or more) in one note.  If so,  it appears you're testing the limits of the system.  The download is possibly timing out on a server somewhere.  You must be a premium user to have a note this big so contact Support on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action for more assistance (we're a -mainly- user-supported forum).  Meantime try splitting the images into smaller groups,  or use smaller images.

If the 5MB image is the largest in the group,  have you tried different devices?  Does the note perform differently on different connections - work vs home forinstance?

much thanks. 

yeah it happens on diff wifi locations....and i am a premium user.

But on my iphone, all the images, no matter how many, load fine, in the same note. On the same wifi as the web app. Maybe... they are progressively loading ( i assume) as i scroll but still no need to refresh the note on the iphone. 

they should just figure out how to progressively load the dang images. i see it more as a ux design problem than feasibility. i already have the notes stored, with the images. when i load the note again the images appear...they are there, so just tell me they are there...the broken image scares me. not a good user experience...if i'm thinking the thing i pay for to keep my notes is broken and not keeping them.

• Level 5*

I have no (current:P) reason to doubt Evernote,  but I always take the view that my data is my precious (think Lord of The Rings) so even though it's stored safely in Google's hot little servers I have a backup copy on my local hard drive and a backup history on an external drive in case I lose anything vital and don;t find out for a while. 

My database gets backed up anyway when I do a system backup,  so I have belt and braces and safety net,  just in case.  If something did go missing I could replace it - but I'm all about not pushing the system too far either,  so I tend to save small pictures - 680px wide @ 96dpi (I know I could get away with 72 for screenshots,  but hey.) 

(Most of) my PDFs are pre-OCR'd,  so text rather than sets of images.  It makes for faster loading and a smaller footprint.

And I use the Google Drive link more now so big files go there with links back to my note.

Archived