Filtering Tags by Notebook?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry - didn't understand the question.  Are you wanting only to see the tags that have been used in one notebook when you view that notebook?  can you explain more about what you want please?

It's not possible to filter tags by notebook as such - unless you prefix all the tags in one notebook (say "work") with "w_" - then typing just that in the tag field will give you the full list.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, redmondm0 said:

Is there a way to filter tags by notebook? For me that would be very helpful.

Michael

If Show all tags in the Search Info Tag Picker is unchecked in Tools - Options - Navigation, when you select a notebook and then select the tag picker (either press the icon or hit Shift-Alt-T), the resulting list of tags will be the tags used in that notebook.  Don't know if that helps relative to "filtering" anything.

• Level 5*

I believe that the request is that when you pick a tag in the tag list, that it be added to the search control (where you type in other filters)...

Edited for brain confusion.

• Level 5*
On 4/8/2017 at 6:17 PM, jefito said:

I believe that the request is that when you pick a tag in the tag list, that it be added to the search control (where you type in other filters)...

On 4/8/2017 at 10:18 PM, csihilling said:

Only the OP knows at this point.  :huh:

Weird -- I think that my answer was intended to answer a different forum question; now I'll need to find that one. Doh!

On 4/8/2017 at 10:18 PM, csihilling said:

Only the OP knows at this point.  :huh:

Maybe so, but I think that your earlier answer is a good one. 

On 4/8/2017 at 2:35 PM, csihilling said:

If Show all tags in the Search Info Tag Picker is unchecked in Tools - Options - Navigation, when you select a notebook and then select the tag picker (either press the icon or hit Shift-Alt-T), the resulting list of tags will be the tags used in that notebook.  Don't know if that helps relative to "filtering" anything.

Thank you very much. Your explanation was very helpful and solves my problem, though I wish it could be done in fewer keystrokes, that is, without having to burrow into the Tools menu.

Michael

On 4/8/2017 at 11:30 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Sorry - didn't understand the question.  Are you wanting only to see the tags that have been used in one notebook when you view that notebook?  can you explain more about what you want please?

It's not possible to filter tags by notebook as such - unless you prefix all the tags in one notebook (say "work") with "w_" - then typing just that in the tag field will give you the full list.

When I select a notebook, I would like to have the option of seeing only the tags used in that notebook rather than the entire list of tags. cshihilling in his reply to my original one gave a solution that seems to work.

M. Redmond

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, redmondm0 said:

Thank you very much. Your explanation was very helpful and solves my problem, though I wish it could be done in fewer keystrokes, that is, without having to burrow into the Tools menu.

Michael

You are welcome.  You only have to visit settings once.  It should work from that point forward.  

• 1 year later...
On 08/04/2017 at 8:35 PM, CalS said:

Thank you CaIS, I have exactly the same problem as redmondm0, and your answer is exactly what I need. Unfortunately I cannot find the Tools - Options - Navigation menu that you mention. I tried in Evernote 7.1 for macos and in the online version. I cannot find the tools menu in either version. The macOS app does have a "Preferences" menu but I cannot find the option you mention in the Preferences dialog. Does your solution refer to the Windows version or an older version of Evernote?

• Level 5*
On 5/5/2018 at 8:33 AM, AAR said:

Does your solution refer to the Windows version or an older version of Evernote?

You are welcome.  Yes it does.  Not sure if the option exists on the Mac.  Perhaps a Mac user can respond.  

Archived