Cursor keeps jumping to subject

Go to solution Solved by cm2017,

Hi, 

This problem is with Evernote on Windows. I updated to 6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public a few days ago.

Since the update, when I'm typing in a note in its own window, about every 30-60 seconds, the cursor jumps back to the beginning of the subject. Whatever I type then shows up at the beginning of the subject, not overwriting the existing subject.

So then, I have to backspace to delete the word or two that ended up in the subject, and then press Return to get back to the body of the note. Fortunately, when I press Enter, the cursor jumps back to where it was in the body before it jumped to the subject.

This bug is very frustrating. I use Evernote for brainstorming every day, and having to stop and deal with this over and over again is really hurting my creating flow.

I'd love to get back to my normal workflow, because Evernote has worked so well for me until now.

Thanks.

• Like 8

Thanks for posting, I had the same trouble after the same update. Especially annoying because I was trying to hold off on the update, but the notification window popped up in the middle of my typing and pressing the space bar, and it defaults to starting the update. 

I noticed the jumping to title problem happened whenever the blue syncing arrow appeared in my note list. I followed your advice - although my options were both initially both checked. When I unchecked 'Set new note focus to title' it didn't fix it. But when I unchecked 'Create new note in a new window' the jump to title problem stopped, although it still does a weird sort of visual reset, where the context panel at the bottom of the note disappears. But thankfully the cursor focus remains where it should be.

Again, thanks very much indeed for posting the problem and solution, I went through the exact same frustration as in your first post. it was a massively annoying issue that made writing nearly impossible.

I just updated and I'm seeing the same thing.  Really annoying.

Yup; turning off "Set new note focus to title" fixes it.  Bummer; that was a great addition to Evernote awhile back.  Please, please fix?   :)

• Like 3

@Robert Morgan

Thanks a zillion for the reply.

LOL; I started that other thread last year.  My memory was bugging me that I had, but, this thread was more recent so went with that.

This issue seems different.  I turned off the Enable Instant Sync and that did not fix the problem.  You have to turn off the "Title" option here in 2017.  Again that "Title" option is so handy - hope you will fix soon. :) 

I don't know what's causing this but when I'm in a note typing away I keep finding that the focus/cursor/whatever is no longer at the text location in the note where I was typing and is instead at the beginning of the title text and I'm typing there without realizing it.

I have a lot of experience typing in Word so keep thinking I could be using some keyboard shortcut out of habit that I'm used to there, but it keeps happening when I'm pretty darned sure I'm not doing anything but just typing normally and, well, just hitting space, backspace, and my habitual "Ctrl-Sh-LeftArrow" to highlight words or "Ctrl-LeftArrow" to move back by words -- which don't seem to be the cause from what I can tell.

It's happening really, really often. I type really fast so it's not easy for me to keep track of every keystroke, but I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything unusual. I don't see myself getting anywhere near, say, the tab key when this happens (let alone Sh-Tab, for goodness sake). I guess eventually I may discover what's causing it, but so far I'm at a loss and it's really impeding my ability to type into a note.

Any guesses what could be going on here?

Thanks!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AllAndNothing said:

I don't know what's causing this but when I'm in a note typing away I keep finding that the focus/cursor/whatever is no longer at the text location in the note where I was typing and is instead at the beginning of the title text and I'm typing there without realizing it.

Same here starting a day or two ago. Also thought I must have been accidentally hitting the wrong keys. It's surprisingly annoying. Win7 x64. EN v6.5.4.4720.

9 minutes ago, 54pete said:

Same here starting a day or two ago. Also thought I must have been accidentally hitting the wrong keys. It's surprisingly annoying. Win7 x64. EN v6.5.4.4720.

Same version of Windows and of Evernote for me, too.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Not sure, but this came up in another thread and I think someone said turning off focus to title in new note fixed the problem.  

Thanks. I'll try that. (Maybe this will also help with the lag from typing a new note's title to being able to type in the note body on clicking in there or using tab -- unless this is what that other pose and fix were actually talking about, which is also useful but may not address this random bouncing to the title).

It occurred again a few minutes ago, before I deselected "focus to title in new notes," and I'm pretty sure all I was doing was moving around the text in the note with arrow keys.

Build 6.5.4.4720 still exhibits this behavior.  Every time the "sync" function initiates (seen by the animated toolbar icon), that's the trigger for the focus to move to the title bar.  For those of us who are touch-typists, that makes the app unusable.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jim.Aedile said:

Build 6.5.4.4720 still exhibits this behavior.  Every time the "sync" function initiates (seen by the animated toolbar icon), that's the trigger for the focus to move to the title bar.  For those of us who are touch-typists, that makes the app unusable.

This has already been reported and they're working on it: 

3 hours ago, Jim.Aedile said:

The workaround suggested by @csihilling makes it usable while you're waiting for a fix.

7 minutes ago, 54pete said:

The workaround suggested by @csihilling makes it usable while you're waiting for a fix.

I myself found that workaround not just usable while awaiting a fix for this but perhaps even long-term, at until they fix the lag time from typing the title in a new note to getting the focus to be active and allow you to start typing in the body of the note. I use Tab to get there and the lag has been very frustrating.

Now, there's no lag since I type in the body of the note right away (and usually just make the first few words what I want for the title, and it picks it up).

• Like 1

Every two minutes or so the Note I am editing gets automatically saved.   As soon as the save takes place, the cursor is jumping into the Title field.   If I am typing rapidly, now my text ends up in the title and messes that up.  I have to erase the wrong text in title, then hit tab key to reposition into the text of the Note.   This behavior is driving me crazy.  Is there any way to maintain the cursor position when a Note saves itself in the background?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

This is a known problem, has been previously reported, and is being addressed: 

Still driving me nuts..:P

Any idea when this will be fixed? I see it was an issue back in July 2016, and it still is now in 6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public. This makes typing into Evernote completely dysfunctional.  I appreciate Evernote and pay to use it, but I am currently looking at other alternatives because of this. Please advise when this issue will be fixed. Thanks. 

• Ex Employees

This issue in 6.5.4 is separate than the issue reported in July. The fix is scheduled to be released in the next version (6.6).  Until this is resolved, you can disable the "set new note focus to title" option as a workaround. To do this Select:Tools>Options>Note, and disable the "Set new note focus to title" option. This issue should not occur after disabling that option. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

My personal experience with the bug is as follows:

Unchecking the setting to focus on the title of a new note fixes the problem for me.

Strangely enough, this bug only occurred with some notes and not others. In one, it happened about 30 minutes after being able to write normally, and what seemed to trigger it was changing the notebook the note was located in. Presumably that caused Evernote to update and then it started jumping to the title.

• Ex Employees
On 5/16/2017 at 1:27 AM, Herbert Täubler said:

Good morning,

the Title says it - the curser moves during normal writing from the text field to the title field. That´s just crazy and does not allow reasonable work with Evernote.

Regards,
Herbert

Windows 10, all updates
Evernote 6.5.4.4720 (304720)

@Herbert Täubler I've merged your post with this existing thread. This will be fixed in the next release. Until then you can disable the "Set new note focus to title" option as a work around. See my previous comments below for more info. 

I am unable to turn off the setting in the Windows app.  I have the latest Evernote version.  The chat agent was unable to offer any solution to that.  I logged in as admin, in case it was dependent on user rights, but no such luck.   I've attached the screen shot showing the location of where I should be able to turn off the focus title.  Each blank area under each subheading is NOT accessible.   Does anyone have a FIX for the fact that I cannot even turn off the option of the title focus?   Thank you

evernote note options screen shot.png

Evernote version.png

Edited by scottp
to add screenshot of version info
On 3/29/2017 at 3:58 PM, cm2017 said:

I just tried changing two settings (at once), and one or both of them fixed the problem. Hopefully this will help with troubleshooting.

Under Options > Note, "Create new note in a new window" was unchecked (although it was checked before the update), and "Set new note focus to title" was checked (as it was before the update).

Just now, I checked "Create new note in a new window" and unchecked "Set new note focus to title". So now when I'm typing in a note with its own window, the cursor does not keep jumping back to the subject.

Thank you! I almost ditched Evernote even though I love the program or at least the concept without the bugs. Problem fixed! :-)))

On 5/23/2017 at 2:17 PM, scottp said:

I am unable to turn off the setting in the Windows app.  I have the latest Evernote version. 

Huh. It looks like the Options dialog does not work on XP. (We are currently reworking the Options dialog, but that won't be done for a while) While we haven't killed support for XP, I would in no way say we actually support it. We're not likely to fix any XP-only bugs.

• 3 weeks later...

Holy s*t, did this trivial bug really take over a year to fix? (It's still broken in the latest non-beta version). The Everynote dev team must be having some SERIOUS management problems. 

The horribly broken search functionality and the slow development will make me switch to another alternative the instant I find something that works and syncs on web, mobile and desktop.

• Level 5

Just to note that I only just recently did the update to 6.5.4, and I did encounter this bug, but only if the note is opened in a separate window, not within the main Evernote Windows program. I did the Tools > Options > Note, disable Set new note focus to title" workaround. Glad to know it's fixed in the next beta, though.

On 6/19/2017 at 9:04 AM, Sire said:

Holy s*t, did this trivial bug really take over a year to fix? (It's still broken in the latest non-beta version). The Everynote dev team must be having some SERIOUS management problems. 

The horribly broken search functionality and the slow development will make me switch to another alternative the instant I find something that works and syncs on web, mobile and desktop.

@Sire, please note @Austin G's remark that this is a new issue, separate from the one reported last July:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

cm2017, thank you!  You solved the exact same problem I was having from this buggy software.

They ought to pay you for your feedback, time, and assistance in helping to manage their "support" desk free of charge for users.

• 7 months later...

This issue is back for me with the most recent update (6.10.3.6921 (306921) Public).  Unchecking "Set new note focus to title" seems to fix it as before but it is really annoying with how I use Evernote.  Please fix again.

Also, I still can't figure out how to get a new note created with the Global hotkey to appear in the foreground.  That was fixed at the same time this issue was fixed last time but both seem broken again.  Not sure if related.

Thanks!  

Also for me... I like to create a new note from within another application, using the shortcut. I've had to change to NOT start in the title to avoid the cursor-jump problem. It seems such a basic bug, and I'm kind of shocked that it has yet to be really fixed. 

• 2 months later...

I went from loving Evernote to starting to explore other products because of this issue.  I can't believe the developers have been wrestling with this issue for so long.  Please fix.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, all issues with the cursor and subject line have been fixed as of beta release 6.13.12.7353 (307353) Prerelease (CE Build ce-47.0.5287)

I'm so glad this is fixed! The cursor jumping around was a huge problem for my workflow, because I strongly prefer to give a note a subject before I write anything in the note. I keep a lot of notes, plans, and articles in Evernote, and this is a huge relief.

Thanks so much!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, juliacharlton@gmail.com said:

Where do I find notes > options please/ I cant find anything like this under settings.  Many thanks 

In the Evernote for Windows application: Tools / Options / Note

I discussed this case 2 years ago. Just switched to notion.so now that they added an "import from Everynote" function. Such a RELIEF to get away from this buggy, slow mess and get a polished product.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Version 6.18.4.8489 (308489) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750) on a Windows machine. And I can confirm that this is still happening. Unbelievable, given when the bug was first reported. 

Edit: "Set new note focus to title" is already disabled.

Edited by uozdemir