*** Edit Update ***

To save time: This is what this thread will tell you

- About 2 years ago, you could edit/update an existing attachment in Evernote Android Version. (Eg. Word / Excel/Powerpoint) .. providing you had installed an app to do eg. OfficeSuite)

- You can't do this anymore, and Evernote didn't tell anyone about it.

- Recently they've slipped in a "new feature" where you can "attach" Google Docs to your Note .... but this means that the contents of that note is not searchable in Evernote.

So now we're stuck ... I would like to ask you to copy this thread https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/105216-attachments-cannot-be-edited/#comment-462213 

and include it when you raise a ticket with Evernote Support Team, as this is the only way to move it up the priority tree,

Why is this important: Because people are moving away from laptops, and towards tablets for their daily workflows ... we need to encourage Evernote to place full desktop functionality onto these devices for it's own long term survival.

Thanks .. I hope this synopsis saved you some time (I hate reading long texts when I'm looking for straight answers, myself) Please raise the ticket ..if you don't know how click here Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket 

This topic has been raised before but no conclusion was reached and it was for much earlier versions of the software.

It was always possible in the past, to be able to open an attachment file (say a word document) , edit it, and save it.

Evernote Android would kindly ask if you would like to update the file.

This is no longer the case. Evernote Android simply replies with "Resources not changed"... which is simply another way of saying "The files are read only permission"

This is interesting, because the directory where these files are located (Android/com.evernote/tmp) .. or something like that .. has full read/write permissions.

Also .. these files are not located on the phones SD card, but internal memory, so SAD card issues can be ruled out.

Finally, I've tested this with several different application.

I've opened the attachment with Android Word, WPS, Google Docs, and even Office Suite (which was "endorsed" by Evernote a few years ago as the better option for editing attachments)

(Conspiracy theory 1)

Is this perhaps why Evernote decided to make linking to Google Docs a new feature?

This is not a suitable substitute as one cannot search these file contents from within Evernote

(Conspiracy theory 2)

Curiously, OneNote users also have this problem. Is there perhaps an agenda to herd us sheeple to put all our documents onto cloud servers such a Drive/OneDrive/DropBox)?

Edited by Lutherian
Added a Synopsis / Summary to save reader's time
  • Level 5*

Hi.  There's a conspiracy?  No-one told me about it...

So anyway.  I opened an old note which had an XLS file attached and then opened the attachment.  Had to go through an online upgrade for the attachment content for Excel to read it,  then got told that I'd have to save a copy of the file as XLSX to save any changes.  This worked,  though I then had to attach the copy to the note - again - to update the note.  All of which is mainly a sign that I have an old database,  not (as far as I can see) any major conspiracies.

Same thing happened with an old DOC file (except I used another viewer,  so no translation this time) - edited file saved back to device,  not the note,  which I seem to recall is normal for mobile devices.

As ever - standard 'fix' for all things mobile - sync / uninstall app / restart device / try again...

Your situation, makes sense .. expected when editing .xls and saving .xlsx

The situation I described above is editing like-for-like documents.

Open .docx file .. edit it, save = "Resource not changed" message.

same with excel sheets etc.

This is a common problem for many, if not most users, answers are surprisingly scarces.

Tickets raised vanish into unknown dimensions ... diversions and distraction s in place of direct answers ... most conspiratol ?

There's something afoot I tell you.

Skullduggery most foul.

On a serious note, it used to work perfectly not so long ago, perhaps 2 years .. now it's gone (Like a Google Product)

• Level 5*

What can I say - never has the problem,  never seen it reported before ("many,  if not most users????") and if you report things to Support -which we ain't- you get a more or less immediate ticket number even if a human response usually takes a little longer.  No ticket number means you didn't do it right.

Saving back to the device works OK for me - saving back to the note (AFAICR) has never worked because mobile devices don't have the note itself in permanent storage.  You need to re-attach the file to the note by syncing it back to the server copy,  not the temporary local version. (Details,  details...)

Answers,  rather than being scarce are pretty easy to get - try a support query (if you're a subscriber) or tweet @EvernoteHelps if not - quote your ticket number here if you like - we can ask a forum Admin to check that someone follows up...

Well @gazumped , you are quite right that I need to backup my statements with facts - and rightly so.

I've raised a ticket and I'll share the response with the forum in case anyone else needs it.

To be concise then:

It was, in the past possible to edit attachments in android.

This is not longer possible - there are two possible explanations

• (1) The is a technical issue with *my* device(s)
  • (2) This function is no longer possible in Evernote for android.

I think a frustration for me is that Evernote does not *explicitly* say :

This function no longer works in Evernote ,,, sorry, you'll have to find another solution"

-or-

This function most certainly does work, there must be a technical issue with your phone.

This is the first step to fault finding, that I can't get past.

References:

• Evernote for Android now comes with the ability to edit Office documents.
  • Our favorite notemaking system, Evernote, now has the ability to edit Office documents within their Android version.
  • Yes – we very much prefer Evernote over Office Onenote. Evernote runs very well, syncs seamlessly and completely across all popular platforms and devices.
  • Evernote has teamed up with OfficeSuite to provide the ability to edit doc, docx, xls, xlsx, ppt, pptx and other Office documents (when attached to Evernote).
  • Assuming you already have Evernote for Android, install OfficeSuite Pro 7 Trial version.

Source:  https://office-watch.com/2013/editing-office-documents-with-evernote/

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Thanks for the added background,  but the two forum links you mention were from a user who had the feature working on one tablet and not on another,  and my suggestion was a workaround for his problem, not for an Evernote general issue.  He mentions having rooted the tablet and using Evernote from an SD card too,  which aren't usual (or advisable) situations...

As to a definitive 'yes the feature works' answer - I've mentioned that it do so for me (though not for saving the new document back to the note direct) on the current Android GA release...  so you've already taken the best next step,  which is to talk to Support.  I hope you get a fix soon!  :)

Returning to my Conspiracy Theory #1

Statement extract from Tech Support

Shane J. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Apr 4, 10:14 PDT

Hello Client,

Here is what the head of our Android team said to me:

"We never supported this for MS Office. A long time ago (before MS had apps on Android), we did an integration w/ a non-MS app that would tell our app when a document was modified and we would update it."

He has advised me though that he will treat this as a feature request and I have already filed a report with them.

Best,

Shane

Compare with Evernote Webpage below.

https://goo.gl/NT4Klq

They are deliberately avoiding to point.

A critical feature of Evernote has stopped working. I've paid for Evernote and for OfficeSuite because I was promised the ability to edit attachments and it no longer works.

I have exactly the same issue. Previously, when I edited pdf attachment, the file was automatically updated. Today I got "Resource not changed" message. After reinstalling both Evernote and EZPdf Reader the issue remained. 

I found edited files in tmp folder, and of course, I can manually upload them. But, my whole workflow is built around the possibilty of editing note attachments and having updated files automatically saved. I've used it for years.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Still not clear on what 'stopped' working. 

I have no trouble editing files in external apps on my Android,  though getting them back into the note is not completely straightforward.

I can 'annotate' some types of attached file - specifically PDF and JPG - where the changes are optionally saved back into the original note.

All your screenshot confirms is that documents can be created and saved as attached files,  but it doesn't mention editing and re-saving on an Android...

58e45b74b9b42_ScreenClip7.png.9b3167c725376a21aed126e5f8467a87.png

Up until a yesterday I was able to open docx files in WPS Office make edits or annotations and save the file back to evernote.  Today, however, when I attempt to do this the message "Resource not changed" appears.  I reinstalled evernote, WPS office and restarted the device but no luck.  This along a a few other items makes it appear Evernote is getting tired and not being kept up.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Job135 said:

Up until a yesterday I was able to open docx files in WPS Office make edits or annotations and save the file back to evernote.  Today, however, when I attempt to do this the message "Resource not changed" appears.  I reinstalled evernote, WPS office and restarted the device but no luck.  This along a a few other items makes it appear Evernote is getting tired and not being kept up.  

There's been no change in the feature that I'm aware of - and Evernote brings out new updates in one OS or another on a more or less monthly basis.  It doesn't seem to be losing any focus. 

Em 30/03/2017 at 12:02, Lutherian disse:

Well @gazumped , you are quite right that I need to backup my statements with facts - and rightly so.

I've raised a ticket and I'll share the response with the forum in case anyone else needs it.

To be concise then:

It was, in the past possible to edit attachments in android.

This is not longer possible - there are two possible explanations

• (1) The is a technical issue with *my* device(s)
  • (2) This function is no longer possible in Evernote for android.

I think a frustration for me is that Evernote does not *explicitly* say :

This function no longer works in Evernote ,,, sorry, you'll have to find another solution"

-or-

This function most certainly does work, there must be a technical issue with your phone.

This is the first step to fault finding, that I can't get past.

References:

• Evernote for Android now comes with the ability to edit Office documents.
  • Our favorite notemaking system, Evernote, now has the ability to edit Office documents within their Android version.
  • Yes – we very much prefer Evernote over Office Onenote. Evernote runs very well, syncs seamlessly and completely across all popular platforms and devices.
  • Evernote has teamed up with OfficeSuite to provide the ability to edit doc, docx, xls, xlsx, ppt, pptx and other Office documents (when attached to Evernote).
  • Assuming you already have Evernote for Android, install OfficeSuite Pro 7 Trial version.

Source:  https://office-watch.com/2013/editing-office-documents-with-evernote/

I have the same issue, started one month ago.When I edited pdf attachment, the file was automatically updated. Today Evernote shows this message "Resource not changed". I have tried on three different devicess, galaxy tab, s7 edge and galaxy note 10.1 2014. I also tried different apps like XODO, Ezpdf....the feature simply sttoped working, but If you try to edit an attachment uploaded from google drive, It works well, you are able to open the file, make editions on XODO, Ezpdf, and then the file will be saved on the same note, the old attachment will be replaced by the edited file.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Guilherme Caldeira said:

I have the same issue, started one month ago.When I edited pdf attachment, the file was automatically updated. Today Evernote shows this message "Resource not changed". I have tried on three different devicess, galaxy tab, s7 edge and galaxy note 10.1 2014. I also tried different apps like XODO, Ezpdf....the feature simply sttoped working, but If you try to edit an attachment uploaded from google drive, It works well, you are able to open the file, make editions on XODO, Ezpdf, and then the file will be saved on the same note, the old attachment will be replaced by the edited file.

Hi.  When you say 'edit' attachments,  are you annotating them,  using the option from Evernote's menu,  or opening the file in a third-party app like the ones you name and adding extra content?

I don't have the possibility to step back for a month and compare the activity of the apps (anyone else with similar experience is more than welcome to chime in...) and I could be wrong - if you're a paying subscriber it's probably a good idea to contact support directly at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (premium subscribers can chat from the same link) - or anyone can message them on Twitter via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

Not only did I send an email to evernote support but also chated with someone as well and this was the response and suggestion until it's fixed, if it ever is.  I have spent the last couple days looking at OneNote and really like what I have seen.  Unfortunately Evernote lost focus and got behind the innovation curve and perhaps with a new CEO they may find there way back but frankly I don't see how they can keep up with Microsoft that has been running full tilt as of late.   

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anderson A. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Apr 10, 15:21 PDT

Hi there,

Anderson here. Thanks again for chatting with me today.

After consulting with our Senior Advisors it appears that this support is no longer available in the Android version of Evernote

I definitely understand how this is a useful feature for Evernote and I am going to be submitting this a feature request on your behalf. We always appreciate feedback and feature suggestions from our users, so I will make sure that this information is passed along to our product team for their consideration in implementing in future versions of Evernote for Android.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or if you would like to submit additional feedback and I will be happy to help.

All the best,

Anderson

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt W. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Apr 10, 18:38 PDT

Hello Dominic,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support.

My name is Matt and I will be assisting you with this saving issue you are experiencing after editing your documents. This is something that the team is currently looking into right now.

In the meantime, the easiest workaround would be to upload the documents to Google Drive and to put them into your notes. Any change done with these documents will automatically be synced back to the Google servers.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Matt W.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Maybe I just never used the feature when it was available.  As @Guilherme Caldeira and Matt pointed out,  the Google option works fine - because the file exists separately on a Google server,  and can be opened and closed where it is.  Your edits are performed on the actual file on the server,  rather than on a copy.  All you have in the note is a link to the original file,  which stays the same no matter how many changes are made.

A file attached to an Evernote note however,  is part of the main account database stored on the server.  A note on a mobile only contains the database address at which the file is stored.  To edit the attached file,  a copy has to be downloaded to the device,  edited in an app and then re-uploaded and inserted into the database.  I'm explaining this badly,  but there are two different operations involved here.

Neither of the two answers above explicitly says 'this used to be a feature but we took it away' and I suspect that the guys involved are being cautious because they don't actually know whether,  when or why this happened either...

The basic fact though is.  You currently can either use Annotate or Google to edit documents - or edit the file and re-attach it to the note.  Evernote are - apparently - looking into the possibility of re-saving files to their parent note at some point...

So finally my original (Conspiracy theory 1) has been validated: Where I said:

Is this perhaps why Evernote decided to make linking to Google Docs a new feature?

This is not a suitable substitute as one cannot search these file contents from within Evernote

Proof

My name is Matt and I will be assisting you with this saving issue you are experiencing after editing your documents. This is something that the team is currently looking into right now.

In the meantime, the easiest workaround would be to upload the documents to Google Drive and to put them into your notes. Any change done with these documents will automatically be synced back to the Google servers.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Matt W.

CONCLUSION

It *was* always possible to edit / annotate / update EXISTING MS Word / Excel / Power Point attachments in the ANDROID version of Evernote - particularly if you purchased (which I did) the Evernote ENDORSED Office Suite Pro app.

Then Evernote made changes which BROKE / REMOVED this function

Evernote is been found guilty of

(1) Not being forthcoming with it's customers of this reduced functionality (For years I though it was *my phone* that was faulty and wasted countless hours trying to fix it)

(2) led customers to purchase apps that no longer serve their intended function

(3) Trying to slip-in Google Drive as an alternative solution, hoping everyone will forget that there was a better solution to begin with.

Verdict: EVERNOTE, Guilty as charged.

In the next few weeks, my team and I will begin parallel testing OneNote to ensure it meets everyone's needs.  After testing is complete, we will share our conclusions with the other teams.   

• Like 1

@Gazumped

Firstly, I need to rest a bit, being somewhat exhausted in trying to convince the people at Evernote that there is actually a problem (When they know perfectly well that there is one, but are deliberately evasive / obtuse - either that or they have very short memories .. feature was put in place 4 years ago .. that's like yesterday on my time scale)

Next Step: Raise Awareness, get collective voices to raise tickets and steadily push this up the priority tree.

I'm doing this because I believe it is necessary for Evernote's long term survival.

Seven years ago,despite a nagging voice in my head, I decided to back Evernote **for the long term** to form part of my Exocortex (which up until then was based on plain-text notes)

All long term, paying customers are stake-holders, not customers, our fates are inter-twined with Evernote's.

Evernote wants to increase their fees - that's fine with me, if it means they'll still be around for the next 25 years.

If they're making fundamentally bad moves that will make them go the way of the doe-doe bird, then we, the stake-holders need to step in.

Just because we "love" the system and use it daily does not mean we should take an apologist's stance with regard to the shortcomings.

People are moving away from laptops, and moving towards tablets. If Evernote was going to "get into bed" with another company for document attachments, then it should've been Microsoft (provided the documents would be searchable from within Evernote) as then people could still have a seamless workflow for their daily work and keep Evernote as the central work-flow base. (This coupled with Evernote chat - makes sense in the work environment)

On 4/12/2017 at 7:21 AM, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Maybe I just never used the feature when it was available.  As @Guilherme Caldeira and Matt pointed out,  the Google option works fine - because the file exists separately on a Google server,  and can be opened and closed where it is.  Your edits are performed on the actual file on the server,  rather than on a copy.  All you have in the note is a link to the original file,  which stays the same no matter how many changes are made.

A file attached to an Evernote note however,  is part of the main account database stored on the server.  A note on a mobile only contains the database address at which the file is stored.  To edit the attached file,  a copy has to be downloaded to the device,  edited in an app and then re-uploaded and inserted into the database.  I'm explaining this badly,  but there are two different operations involved here.

Neither of the two answers above explicitly says 'this used to be a feature but we took it away' and I suspect that the guys involved are being cautious because they don't actually know whether,  when or why this happened either...

The basic fact though is.  You currently can either use Annotate or Google to edit documents - or edit the file and re-attach it to the note.  Evernote are - apparently - looking into the possibility of re-saving files to their parent note at some point...

Actually, in the response from Anderson A. at evermote that i attached earlier he does explicitly say it was a feature that is no longer supported "After consulting with our Senior Advisors it appears that this support is no longer available in the Android version of Evernote"

• Like 1

@Job135 Yes, I fully agree - he did say that .. to you, when you asked (as I did), presumably after a lot of strife and fiddling with your device.

What I mean is:

• When was the "public announcement" made to all the customers that this feature would no longer be available .. or were we left to find out for ourselves without prior warning?
  • Is this standard practice for Evernote, would a similar approach be taken in the future if other features no longer function? (Evernote Policy & Procedure)
  • When exactly did this function break .. which date / software version of android (unanswered question)
  • Why did it break (unanswered question)
  • What of the people who purchased OfficeSuite Pro expressly for this purpose and now cannot use it?
  • What is the future direction / intent to rectify this (if any) | CAPA - Corrective And Preventative Action

• Level 5*
On 15/04/2017 at 9:33 PM, Job135 said:

it appears that this support is no longer available

Personally I'd read that as "none of us have any idea whether or not this feature used to available,  but clearly it's not now..."

And the sober fact is:  if you can manage without the feature,  there are workarounds.  If it's vital to your workflow,  find another app that suits your purpose. 

Evernote are definitely not renowned for their quick reaction to user requests,  and they do not (usually) comment on what work is in progress. 

@gazumped I'm laughing out loud as I type this, in response to 

"none of us have any idea whether or not this feature used to available"

I suspect you're having a bit of fun with me you rascal .. but I'll take the bait ...

To be clear - I'm not crying over spilt milk here - I'm speaking about the future // Ours and Evernote specifically

• When was the "public announcement" made to all the customers that this feature would no longer be available .. or were we left to find out for ourselves without prior warning?
  • Is this standard practice for Evernote, would a similar approach be taken in the future if other features no longer function? (Evernote Policy & Procedure)
  • When exactly did this function break .. which date/software version of android (unanswered question)
  • Why did it break (unanswered question)
  • What of the people who purchased OfficeSuite Pro expressly for this purpose and now cannot use it?
  • What is the future direction/intent to rectify this (if any) | CAPA - Corrective And Preventative Action

• Level 5*

Glad I provided some amusement...  and I'm impressed by your certainty - I didn't ever use a feature in the way that you describe,  and I have trouble remembering what happened yesterday (hence Evernote) so I really have no recall of this process,  and I've never used OfficeSuite. 

I can certainly appreciate and sympathise with the frustration you're feeling if a much-used function has been 'dropped' from the app.  But I strongly doubt you'll ever get an answer to most of your questions.

Evernote have closed down other products and features in the past - Food,  Skitch (for Windows), 'unlimited' uploads, unrestricted device access by Basic users,  Clearly - and in most,  maybe all cases they've given notice.  With recent mobile builds however different things have fallen out of the weave from time to time - Atlas is no longer with is,  and iOS had a message (without explanation) with version 8.0 listing the items which had been discarded.  Those included:

• Home screen and home screen sections

• Presentation mode

• Atlas or “Places” view

• Suggested note titles

• Note list "card view"

Despite some impassioned campaigning by some groups of users Evernote has yet to comment in detail,  apologise or take any action to reverse any of these.

(There was the famous case of the 'opt out' machine-learning product that was pre-announced,  stirred up a privacy hornet's nest and promptly dropped...)

Like all software houses Evernote are protected by T's & C's - in this case here > https://evernote.com/eula/ - and although it's a long (and very standard) document the main thrust of it is "if anything goes wrong we're not responsible,  we're not liable"  (See clause 6 onwards..)

Maybe I'm just unlucky - a cascade of things outside of Evernote have gone wrong for me this year - but I tend to take the view that whatever the fault or problem,  the work has to get done,  so I find a solution that works.  Taking anyone or any organization to task for some function failure tends to be a long and difficult road.  I don't have the time to get involved in that sort of thing because that gets in the way of work,  and whatever the resolution I'll never recover the time.

Good luck in however you plan to proceed from here - I'll watch developments with interest...

• Like 1

Taking anyone or any organization to task for some function failure tends to be a long and difficult road. 

Very true words, indeed. 

"It is the nature of immature men to want to fight and die for their cause, while it is the nature of mature men who wish proceed quietly for the theirs"

• 4 weeks later...

It appears the last post is near a month old.  Has anyone found the reason and fix (not a workaround)?

Some on this thread seem to disbelieve the issue. The ability to, in my Evernote Android app, open a document (excel, word, pdf, etc), make an edit, save the change (that is replace the same document in my Note), have Evernote retain the change and sync across all my devises was a key feature and reason I adopted Evernote. It was seamless... I used it regularly and again, is why I went all-in with Evernote. This feature HAS WORKED for many years and has just recently stopped.  Isn't the integration of attachments a fundamental of their app?  I can't believe this doesn't work any longer and it is leaving me to search for alternative products.  A workaround is a temporary solution.  If this feature doesn't revert back, Evernote's use to me is greatly diminished.  I'm surprised that it is so hard to find information on this topic.

The message I see when I open a document from and Evernote note in Android is exactly this...

"This document has been opened from DATA STREAM. Changes can not be saved."

Some further information:  With reluctance, I did a factory reset on my device last week.  I tested this feature right away (It is the only reason I did the reset!). The feature worked to great relief.  I have minimal apps installed, and no new apps were installed after the successful test. But now somehow the error/issue persists again!  

I'd love to hear if anyone has any new information to share, or if my brief ability to use this feature after a reset sparks some ides.  Especially since info on this topic is sparse.

Thanks. Sincerely,

Ken

hi,

----maybe no help and no comfort to anybody in this predicament ----

To my (albeit spartan) knowledge Google imposed restrictions over time in the way apps are allowed to process temporary files from 'unknown' sources (because of Android vulnerabilities).

The method the 'I have no clue staff' from Evernote suggest and guarantee to work is by no means failproof nor particularly safe. The more applications have access to your data in the cloud, the more your data are at risk. 

To my belief there is/was?  the option of saving notebooks locally on the device. I never bothered because of limited space but if this option still exists neither Google nor Evernote should object to alterations.

Good luck :-)

• 2 months later...

Guys

Cannot find a way round it - the safest seems to be save as a version and delete the previous file. If you try to over write you get a conflict file in the same notebook if using .doc and it seems additional files with the same name if using .xls and so you have a pile of files with the same name and without the desktop do not know which one to delete.

Investigated onenote and the version for windows 10 has one main issue for me - no backup of the stuff that Microsoft is keeping on its cloud. That function was removed when they changed from onenote 2016 to onenote for windows 10. I have chucked in a request that this is added to onenote for windows 10 and have been told it is on their list, and when it is added I will be moving over to onenote and cancelling evernote. . I pay for plus so its going to be a pain to get everthing moved over  -  shame but there we go.

• Level 5

@Andrew1956, I just opened a .docx file on my Android phone using the default editing app for such files, made a change, and saved the file (with a new name). I then had to attach this new document to the note manually, which was somewhat cumbersome since I had to find it in order to attach it. But I did succeed, and when I synced the note and checked it on my PC, the new, edited document was there. It's not a perfect system, since you can't simply edit the attachment and have the edits automatically appear. I guess these limits are necessary for Evernote to work within the Android system. But it can be done. I don't know how this compares with OneNote, though.

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-23 at 오전 7시 52분, Andrew1956 said:

Cannot find a way round it - the safest seems to be save as a version and delete the previous file

We have the same problem in IOS
The edit function work fine in Mac/Win

• exports the attachment to a temporary directory
  • launches the app to edit the file
  • replaces the attachment in the note

I suspect our Android/IOS environments can't support that activity

My solution is to complete my edits and before exiting I send to a new Evernote note.  I sort this out later.  

Mostly, I only do editing on my Mac

Another option is to store the file on a cloud device and include a link in your note.  This seems to work better for editing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/13/2017 at 10:11 PM, NoLife said:

(Update)
well, OfficeSuite works saving it directly to Evernote. 
Google Docs can edit as well.
Xodo works in androids for annotating pdf which I find is better than OfficeSuite.

This is verified on newest device, note 8.  MS Excel won't edit + save but office suite WILL edit + save.

KC

• 4 months later...

I'm having the same resource not changed error when editing an image in a separate app on Note 8.   

I've had the same issue on my Note 5.  

I've had the same issue on my HTC DNA.   

Hopefully there will be a fix for this THIS YEAR.  Maybe there working on built in editing, PLEASE PLEASE.    

• 2 months later...

I use android Office Suite Pro to edit all my Microsoft Evernote attachments and am able to save all updates back to Evernote without any issues. Just remember to select the 'edit' option on the attachment. Once you are done editing, you save it in office suite pro, it brings you back to Evernote where Evernote then asks you if the changes should be saved. Select 'yes' and all is good. 

• 2 years later...

After 2 years, bug is still exist. 

Attachment is opened at third party app cache instead of evernote itself.,  so no way could evernote detect attachment's change. 

If you are using android 9, stay away from latest evernote. 

Use evernote 7.9.3,  you would have no hassle.