Linking to local note?

I'd like to paste hyperlinks into other software so I could quickly follow them in order to get to a specific Evernote note. The notes are stored locally, not shared. The whole thing would be a closed system on my computer only. 

If I right-click a note and select "Copy Note Link", paste the link elsewhere, then click it, Evernote opens the last Notebook that was there when it was last open. So it's just the list of notes in that notebook, with the first one in the list selected for preview. Pretty much just looks the same as launching Evernote.app. How do I really link to the specific note?

If I use Spotlight to find the note and I double-click it in Finder, then Evernote launches, and on top of it comes that note in a separate window, spread to fill the entire screen. Linking to that file via Finder as a folder structure is a method, but it takes maneuvering and it'd be better if it didn't open multiple windows to Evernote, or expand that document, as it's hard to read when the text spreads all across the width of the screen.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, Riku said:

If I right-click a note and select "Copy Note Link", paste the link elsewhere, then click it, Evernote opens the last Notebook that was there when it was last open. 

My notes are heavily cross-linked, and I also use the Classic Link in external apps

There are various type of links
- Classic - Opens in Evernote App
- Public/Private - Opens in Browser

To force the classic link, hold down the Option key when right-clicking

18 hours ago, DTLow said:

My notes are heavily cross-linked, and I also use the Classic Link in external apps

There are various type of links
- Classic - Opens in Evernote App
- Public/Private - Opens in Browser

To force the classic link, hold down the Option key when right-clicking

Option-click does indeed reveal that Classic option, but what it does is exactly the same as with non-classic: Opens Evernote in the notebook that was open when I left it the last time. The links do look different when pasted so they are different, but it looks like the function itself just doesn't work at all.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Riku said:

Opens Evernote in the notebook that was open when I left it the last time.

When I use the link outside of Evernote, the note opens in it's own window
As you said, the main Evernote window is not impacted

Still: Neither one of those Evernote actions – "Copy Link" or "Copy Classic Link" – do anything more than open Evernote the application in exactly the same way as if I'd launched it from the Applications folder. So it's clearly not working at all.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Riku said:

So it's clearly not working at all.

Did you miss my point that the note is opened in it;s own window

Using the link within Evernote switches the main window view to the note

There are no other windows. If I right-click Evernote's application icon in the Dock, it reveals that the application's main window is the only window that it has. And even if it did open it in a separate window, shouldn't it open the main app first so that the separate document window would open on top of it? 

Right now I can't even manage to produce the two different kinds of links – I can see the normal link vs classic link options available in the menu of course but now it doesn't matter which one I copy and paste, both links consist of exactly the same text/path/format. Trying multiple times, no change.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was able to create a classic link to my note and click on it in the full Evernote on my desktop app. Clicking on it just navigated to the note for which the link was created. It didn't open it in its own window, but went directly to where I wanted to go. Now I just have to go back and create classic links for all the links I just created. 

I just wish there was a way (other than creating scripts) to create classic links by default.

• 7 months later...
在 2017/6/18 在 AM10點12分, TarunB說:

+1 for the issue above. Clicking on classic notes only takes you to Evernote and a random note. It doesn't take you to the specific note that the link belongs to. Badly needed!

+1 this feature is completely broken, please fix it.

• 7 months later...

Here is what I would like to be able to do:

1. Put cursor on a single note.

2. Drag the note into any Finder folder.

3. Result is an item in the folder that is a link to the note.

4. When clicked a window is opened in Evernote showing the single note.

Possibly the Option key would determine if a copy or a link is made in the folder.

At Evernote 7.6 it is possible to drag a note into a folder. But, the result is not a simple link. It's something more complicated and a lot less useful (to me, anyway).

###

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, leifsmith said:

3. Result is an item in the folder that is a link to the note.

4. When clicked a window is opened in Evernote showing the single note.

About that "item in the folder".  It has to be an item type that is supported by Finder945101197_ScreenShot2018-12-03at12_12_21.png.9cac28a10e7260fec488a355409829d3.png
I've had success with .inetloc items (internet location) referencing link evernote:///view/... 
The creation method I use is; paste url into a safari window and drag the globe to a Finder Folder

edit: a script was posted by @JMichaelTX at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112613-en-mac-applescript-to-create-internet-location-file-inetloc-for-en-note/

>>At Evernote 7.6 it is possible to drag a note into a folder. But, the result is not a simple link. It's something more complicated and a lot less useful (to me, anyway).

You've switched to export mode.  The result is a .enex file

Thanks for that. ... what I hope for is that Evernote will do the work to make it one simple step. If you want a link to a specific note in a folder just drag (maybe with option down) the title of the note into the folder. That's all. Evernote.app does all the magic with filetypes. Maybe for some reason too much work or impossible.

Archived