(Archived) Hiding Notes or Notebooks from 'All Notes'

TripleYoThreat

Idea

Hello all, hope you are well.

This idea is truly for Evernote as a whole, not particularly just for Mac, however I primarily use it on Mac so I have posted this here.

It would be very useful to hide certain notes or entire notebooks from appearing in 'All Notes'. For example, I often write letters in Evernote, but once they are done, I do not wish to see them when I am browsing through unfinished projects as they are completed. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance and have a good one!

10 replies to this idea

On 2/19/2019 at 11:24 AM, DTLow said:

We seem to have a different definition for the term "All Notes"

I'd recommend a defined search if you don't want to see all notes
Unfortunately, notebooks can not be excluded in the search; try tags

We do but call it what you will, we're clearly asking for a feature here, and being able to see most of our 'working notes', while automatically hiding from that list old, outdated, or irrelevant notes. I can't achieve this through tagging, and I don't think there are saved search options in the left list are there? 

I expect better empathy from a product owner, frankly, rather than just a criticism of naming. You're clearly missing a feature here based on the number of people asking for things like it (including notebook searching).

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2017-03-23 at 6:59 PM, TripleYoThreat said:

It would be very useful to hide certain notes or entire notebooks from appearing in 'All Notes'.

This has been requested as an "Archive" feature

My solution is to apply a tag (!Archive) to notes I wish to exclude
I then use -tag:!Archive in my searches

• Like 3
On 3/25/2017 at 11:14 AM, DTLow said:

Yes an Archive feature similar to Gmail's is exactly what I need! Ah, thank you very much! That should do the trick for now!

I would find this extremely useful. Things like notebooks full of receipts or paperwork are not my 'working' notes, that I am currently working with. As such, not having my All Notes list full of receipts when I finally get around to doing some accounts (for example) would be extremely useful. Also having the ability to hide individual notes from the list (like a password note, or a security note) would be great. If I want those notes, I can navigate to them via search or via a specific notebook.

On 3/25/2017 at 2:14 PM, DTLow said:

This isn't quite the same thing, although this might be a useful feature too for older items. It wouldn't achieve quite the same outcome for me.

• Level 5*
On 2/3/2019 at 12:24 PM, Katarado said:

I would love that it has a filter!
"All except: Notebook1, Notebook2"

On 2/17/2019 at 6:23 AM, JohnTobin said:

I would find this extremely useful. Things like notebooks full of receipts or paperwork are not my 'working' notes, that I am currently working with. As such, not having my All Notes list full of receipts when I finally get around to doing some accounts (for example) would be extremely useful. Also having the ability to hide individual notes from the list (like a password note, or a security note) would be great. If I want those notes, I can navigate to them via search or via a specific notebook.

We seem to have a different definition for the term "All Notes"

I'd recommend a defined search if you don't want to see all notes
Unfortunately, notebooks can not be excluded in the search; try tags

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JohnTobin said:

I can't achieve this through tagging, and I don't think there are saved search options in the left list are there? 

The sidebar Shortcuts area is a good place to access saved searches1882503075_ScreenShot2019-02-24at14_13_00.png.e76dec6f03af0a671aa1e61bf917557c.png

In this screenshot I show shortcuts for various searches. 
The criteria can be tags or other parameters

>>while automatically hiding from that list old, outdated, or irrelevant notes.

Are you able to specify the search criteria for these notes?

>>I expect better empathy from a product owner, frankly, rather than just a criticism of naming. You're clearly missing a feature here based on the number of people asking for things like it (including notebook searching).

This is a user discussion forum and we're all users of Evernote.

I may lack empathy but I'm willing to share my experience in "Hiding Notes"

The request below has been posted for notebook searching.  You're welcome to add your vote  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JohnTobin said:

I can't achieve this through tagging, and I don't think there are saved search options in the left list are there? 

Saved searches are something that you create.  Basically you create some search criteria that can then get saved into the left hand panel for later reuse when you need it.  Excluding notebooks in a search would be very useful, but until then tags are the work around.  As an example, if you have a notebook named Work that you would like to exclude you could select every note in that notebook and assign it a tag called Work.  Then to exclude those notes in a search use -tag:Work in your search.  If you plan on using that search often, then File -> Saved Search (on Windows) to save this search selection.

I literally was thinking about a hide feature and was excited when I saw this Idea.

Thank you @TripleYoThreat for starting the discussion!

Since I use Evernote to store sensitive information (thank you for offering SSL encryption!) it would be extremely useful to "hide" notes and have the ability to include or exclude "hidden" notes from searches and from displaying in notebooks or in the All Notes view.

I understand we could use tags but, similar to hiding image files in the Photos app for iPhone or Mac, it would be great to be able to exclude or include based on a "hidden" attribute on the note.

@DTLow thank you for continuing to providing possible solutions to the ideas presented in this forum!