Evernote for Windows 6.5 GA Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.5 GA - you cadownload it here. This release finalizes our work on on-demand sync and includes some bug fixes where content was not always visible or searchable when not yet downloaded. A huge thanks to the Beta community who helped us uncover some important edge cases in the behavior of that feature. 

Below are the finalized release notes and screenshots of our major feature improvements. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team! 

--------------------

Evernote for Windows 6.5 Release Notes

New:
Spend less time searching–view all your shared notes and notebooks from the Shared section in the sidebar.

Speed up the syncing process–limit sync to recently changed and frequently used notes. To turn it on, go to Tools > Options > Synchronization and select "Enable on demand sync."

Improved:

Handling of large notes including those with big images or attachments on 32-bit systems.

Fixed:        

An intermittent error syncing when connecting to a business account for the first time.
Issues with the printing of notes with tables.

----------------------------------

Screenshots

• Shared view: can now quickly browse all notes you've received via Work Chat from the "Shared" section in the left panel.589d4a00972ff_SharedSection.png.0326cae9cbc6ce23c6983200461d705a.png

• On demand sync: an option if you want note content to be downloaded only when you see the note in the note list. This is ideal for users with many thousands of notes who want to save some disk space. You can enable this by checking the "Enable on demand sync" option under Tools>Options>Synchronization. If you do not check this option, Evernote will download all the notes content in advance. 589d4d2bcc5b0_Enableondemandsync.PNG.d329587bb082f8d9a5af380a54e31bdb.PNG

88 replies to this idea

New Windows 6.5 bug: See logandb's post below. This is very annoying and makes EN almost useless to me on Windows. I'll try disabling autosync (if that's possible). If this doesn't work and it's not fixed soon, I may just switch to MS OneNote.

On 3/28/2017 at 5:37 AM, logandb said:

I'm not sure whether this is a bug that has crept in with this release, but while I am typing in the body of a note the focus suddenly jumps to the title and I find myself suddenly typing there instead of where I was.  I think this occurs when an automatic sync takes place—with instant sync switched on it is quite disruptive.

Apologies if this has already been observed by others...

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Bob Noble said:

New Windows 6.5 bug: See logandb's post below. This is very annoying and makes EN almost useless to me on Windows. I'll try disabling autosync (if that's possible). If this doesn't work and it's not fixed soon, I may just switch to MS OneNote.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, dvgibson said:

I just upgraded on one machine only and want to go back. Every five seconds the cursor jumps back from the note body to the title! Bugs introduced in last version were not fixed either. Is there a way to revert?

Massive pain, I agree.

The temp fix is to go into Options for Notes and uncheck "Set new note focus to title" because right now that is being proccessed as "Set current note focus to title every 30 seconds or so."

I just upgraded on one machine only and want to go back. Every five seconds the cursor jumps back from the note body to the title! Bugs introduced in last version were not fixed either. Is there a way to revert?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, arthurrschaefer said:

So why there's an Editing toolbar which presents me the option to change the font size using my mouse?

There's nothing wrong with having shortcuts and visual UI to accomplish the same operation. Zillions of programs do; why would you think that that's a problem?

On 4/14/2017 at 10:43 PM, arthurrschaefer said:

I'm having a minor issue with the font size selector. When I select a bunch of text to change the font size, click on the font size and type the size I want. But Evernote doesn't accept my typing, it inserts the second number I digit

Example:

I was choosing the font size "13" but, after I typed the number "1", Evernote choose the first size with 1 that is "10" and then typed the number "3" in the note.

58f17a4f3f9a2_2017-04-1422_41_10-Evernote_ECCEvernoteCertifiedConsultant-Training-arthur@bavierati_com_br.png.2b95575c7ef939619e3552bd70848ea6.png   58f17a76ad71f_2017-04-1422_41_48-Evernote_ECCEvernoteCertifiedConsultant-Training-arthur@bavierati_com_br.png.6294f49421ccdd1272d24cfe1efc35bb.png

On 4/14/2017 at 10:43 PM, arthurrschaefer said:

I'm having a minor issue with the font size selector. When I select a bunch of text to change the font size, click on the font size and type the size I want. But Evernote doesn't accept my typing, it inserts the second number I digit

Example:

I was choosing the font size "13" but, after I typed the number "1", Evernote choose the first size with 1 that is "10" and then typed the number "3" in the note.

58f17a4f3f9a2_2017-04-1422_41_10-Evernote_ECCEvernoteCertifiedConsultant-Training-arthur@bavierati_com_br.png.2b95575c7ef939619e3552bd70848ea6.png   58f17a76ad71f_2017-04-1422_41_48-Evernote_ECCEvernoteCertifiedConsultant-Training-arthur@bavierati_com_br.png.6294f49421ccdd1272d24cfe1efc35bb.png

I realized that it happens when Evernote is syncing.

For example, I changed some block of text, selected it, and during the time I go to the Font size button to change the size of it, Evernote starts syncing and the options go hidden as I didn't have clicked there.

Watch the video.

Evernote issue.mp4

On 4/15/2017 at 4:35 PM, keisoko said:

I do not think it possible to change font size that way. If you want to either increase or decrease the font of the selected text by one, the more reliable way is to use Ctr+Shift+> for up or Ctrl+Shift+< for down.

So why there's an Editing toolbar which presents me the option to change the font size using my mouse?

• Level 5*
On 4/21/2017 at 0:49 PM, eric99 said:

I found a workaround for that bug: in the Note options, deselect the "Set new note focus to title"

Yeah, but then I have to click into the note header to put the new subject in, so that just changes teh place the problem occurs. still good you have pinpointed what seems to be the source of this issue.

Hoping someone from Evernote is reading this.

Running the latest GA version. Just installed Win10 Creator's Update and find that when typing notes into Evernote, there is now a perceptible lag/jerkiness when the characters are displayed onscreen. Never happened before the Windows update. Wonder if I am the only one.

Update: I have regained control over the lag by unchecking "Enable instant sync" and "Enable on demand sync". Almost back to normal now. Also is it my imagination but when have both boxes checked, some time to time, there would be a window opening and closing in an instant. Very disconcerting. Let's see if it happens with boxes unchecked.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Lesicaire said:

Can anyone replicate the same problem on their system and confirmed or not if this is only me or we all have the same problem?

Yes, this has been reported and I believe EN stated it is being worked on in another topic.

In my case, I created a folder on the desktop and the attachments actually appeared on the desktop, not in the folder.  I moved the files from there.  Others tried this but it did not work the same for them.  FWIW.

Hi everyone,

I'm using 6.5.4.4720 version
I think I find a bug with the "Save attachment" option. I have replicated on 3 different PCs with the same release and get the same result.
When selecting multiple notes and try to save it on your PC as attachment it doesn't save anything on the PC.
Can anyone replicate the same problem on their system and confirmed or not if this is only me or we all have the same problem?
Thanks

SC01.jpg.835028de1673097549c484c756ec0790.jpg

SC02.jpg.544e9382fd7f204b05275db30bd3ac13.jpg

On 4/18/2017 at 9:30 PM, EdH said:

I'm curious. Does anyone at Evernote actually use the Windows client? I don't see how. This bug where the cursor jumps to the title has hit me about 20 times today. I quit using the beta and am using the web interface for the rest of the day.

This has been in PUBLIC RELEASE now for 4 weeks. It renders Evernote unusable to anyone that actually types. It doesn't bother the clippers-only crowd, but it sure is getting in my way.

I found a workaround for that bug: in the Note options, deselect the "Set new note focus to title"

• Level 5*
On 17/04/2017 at 4:29 PM, CherylB said:

Not sure what you have done with searching on the iPad, but it doesn't work well any more.  I can't search for words in the title or especially in a tag.  I liked the previous user interface much better.  Is there a way to go back?  As it is I have to go to my computer to find anything I need.  Makes the program much less usable.

Hi.  You posted in a Windows thread - try the iOS product feedback channel - https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/215-ios-product-feedback/

• Level 5*

I'm curious. Does anyone at Evernote actually use the Windows client? I don't see how. This bug where the cursor jumps to the title has hit me about 20 times today. I quit using the beta and am using the web interface for the rest of the day.

This has been in PUBLIC RELEASE now for 4 weeks. It renders Evernote unusable to anyone that actually types. It doesn't bother the clippers-only crowd, but it sure is getting in my way.

Not sure what you have done with searching on the iPad, but it doesn't work well any more.  I can't search for words in the title or especially in a tag.  I liked the previous user interface much better.  Is there a way to go back?  As it is I have to go to my computer to find anything I need.  Makes the program much less usable.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, dvgibson said:

I reported the same problem as well when it arrived in the last version. I have to deal with it every day. When at the bottom of the screen and you hit return to go to a new thought the window does not scroll. Just to see where I am I type space, it scrolls, then I delete and go back to typing.  (Notice: This is very basic behaviour. Even this entry window scrolls with CR. 

Yup.  Known problem,  waiting on a fix.

On 3/23/2017 at 4:04 PM, eric99 said:

Window scrolling works fine for me, can you please describe your scrolling problem in more detail?

I reported the same problem as well when it arrived in the last version. I have to deal with it every day. When at the bottom of the screen and you hit return to go to a new thought the window does not scroll. Just to see where I am I type space, it scrolls, then I delete and go back to typing.  (Notice: This is very basic behaviour. Even this entry window scrolls with CR. 

• Level 5*

Has anyone else experienced the bug where mouse clicks on a menu "go through" the menu and instead clicks on whats behind it.

It seems to occur randomly, but has happened 20-30 times over a period of time. It sometimes happens when I use Ctrl+Q, and it just now happened when I tried to right click on a tag in the tag popup menu for tags attached to a note, to rename it.

The picture below shows how I right clicked the front tag, but the tag in the back is selected.

click through.png

17 hours ago, arthurrschaefer said:

Example:

I do not think it possible to change font size that way. If you want to either increase or decrease the font of the selected text by one, the more reliable way is to use Ctr+Shift+> for up or Ctrl+Shift+< for down.

Example:

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, gods1023 said:

Thank you. I did it.

I think this is exact solution of this problem.

You are welcome.  Well, it's a workaround until the actual problem gets fixed.

5 hours ago, csihilling said:

In the meantime you can try un-checking Set new note focus to title in settings.  I think this has worked for others in a different thread.

Thank you. I did it.

I think this is exact solution of this problem.

So I have a problem. I just downloaded evernote 6.5.4, but for some reason it made my PC freeze and I needed to restart it. After restarting it I tried opening the software again but my PC froze again, and so I uninstalled. I tried reinstalling it again but I had the same problem. This is my first time using evernote on windows. Anyway, I have windows 8.1 if that matters. Can you help?

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you'd like to step back to a previous version of Evernote it's not recommended,  but it is possible.  Backup your database folder in case there are issues,  and uninstall Evernote.  Check this link for an previous version and download / install.

If you are having problems with the beta however,  you're in the wrong forum - see

- and AFAIK no-one else has mentioned this issue yet.  Can you repeat your post there please with more details so the developers can investigate and fix it?

PS - don't use Betas for work.  Bad things can happen...

On 5/11/2017 at 1:40 PM, gazumped said:

Exactly what it says on the can:  If you duplicate a note and use the public URL of that note (which is,  obviously different from the original note),  you will get 'note not found' errors when trying to view the content.

It appears the public link is being copied with the note (this is obviously wrong).

Workaround: Turn the public link off and then back on.

• Ex Employees
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

'Nother bug - courtesy of @lingojourney via this thread

Exactly what it says on the can:  If you duplicate a note and use the public URL of that note (which is,  obviously different from the original note),  you will get 'note not found' errors when trying to view the content.

Filed.  Thanks @gazumped!

• Level 5*

'Nother bug - courtesy of @lingojourney via this thread

• Level 5*

It seems like an earlier fixed "bug" has returned recently, in form of a too small of a margin between the last displayed tag in the note window and the three down arrows that let's you see the rest of the tags. 

Now they once again can almost overlapse, which can easily result in that you delete a tag from a note when you accidentally click the cross inside the tag, instead of the three arrows.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, dconnet said:

Looks like we fixed this already - should show up in the next release.

Thanks. Any plans to release something to the beta channel? Also looking forward to it not moving my cursor from where I am typing to the subject line.

• Level 5*

There is a bug in the UI when loading a demand sync note

1. Set up Evernote for On Demand Sync
  2. Add a note from another client. iOS, Web, or 3rd party.
  3. Only put in a note title, no body. Just a subject line
  4. Go to Evernote on Windows and sync.
  5. Select the new note.

The body window will perpetually show "loading...." even though there is nothing to load. It doesn't know what to do when there is no body.

• Level 5*
On 06/05/2017 at 8:27 AM, Smith_And said:

So I have a problem. I just downloaded evernote 6.5.4, but for some reason it made my PC freeze and I needed to restart it. After restarting it I tried opening the software again but my PC froze again, and so I uninstalled. I tried reinstalling it again but I had the same problem. This is my first time using evernote on windows. Anyway, I have windows 8.1 if that matters. Can you help?

Hi.  Don't understand why your PC would freeze even before opening Evernote fully.  Do you have an existing Evernote account?  Are you able to log in before the PC freezes?  I'd suggest you try the uninstall / reinstall trick again,  and throw in a restart after the uninstall.  If there's still an issue please try to explain more fully exactly where and how the PC freezes

12 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  When I'm working on another laptop that sometimes happens to me because of trackpad issues - I usually remember to kill it and then there's no problem that I've seen...  You could also be hitting a key combination that jumps the cursor around?

I don't use laptop. It happened even when I hit a single key.

I think the problem is about syncing system.

• Level 5*

There is a bug (or design flaw) where file time stamps shown for attachments are not updated. The are frozen at the date they were imported. For example, I created the following attachment and added it to Evernote on April 24, 2017.

I've edited the file multiple times, including today, (May 1, 2017) but the time stamp never changes.

2017-05-01_9-41-01.png

• Level 5*
On 4/30/2017 at 5:55 AM, catbert said:

So, even though I have UNticked all the sync options on my Windows client, it still syncs whenever any of the above actions are taken. I'm not sure if this is the expected behaviour or not, but it's not what I would expect, and it's certainly not the way it used to work prior to this latest release.

Yeah just validated this.  Within 30 seconds of emailing something to EN or creating a new note on my phone the note appears on the desktop, no matter the sync settings.  Same for editing the note on the phone.  I can't remember specifically, but I agree with you that this hasn't always been the behavior.  Someone from EN might have to the when of it.  

My guess would be this feature, along with things like instant sync on the PC, might be targeted at improving data currency and reducing the risk of note conflicts.  Not a bad thing overall, IMO, if that is the case.

• Level 5*

I'd think it was expected behaviour to:

1. keep your database (which is open and connected to the internet,  so might be used at any time) up to date with the latest notes as a convenience to you for the next time you use it,  and
  2. avoid a long delay next time you manually sync - if there are dozens of new notes / edits to download to the desktop you would have to wait for some time before starting to work.

I'm actually grateful that it works like this (and might be partially responsible - along with quite a few others - for any changes here) - The latest Clipper will not save directly to my local hard drive database,  which used to be an option in Firefox.  So when I wish to clip a page in more than one installment* I had to clip,  then sync manually,  then copy/ paste more content... which ruined my workflow.  A few of us moaned about this lost option.

Now I hardly miss the direct save.  I clip,  select the next block of text,  and copy / paste that section into the new note which by then has magically appeared.  

* long story why I need that,  but I do...

18 hours ago, csihilling said:

Had you sent any emails to EN in the interim.  I've noticed I get a sync on my PC soon after forwarding an email to my EN email notes to address.

No, but I think I understand better what's going on now. I notice that my Windows desktop version syncs whenever I do any of the following: (i) clip something using the web clipper; (ii) create a new note using my phone; (iii) create a new note using the web client. I guess that sending an email to EN will do the same thing.

So, even though I have UNticked all the sync options on my Windows client, it still syncs whenever any of the above actions are taken. I'm not sure if this is the expected behaviour or not, but it's not what I would expect, and it's certainly not the way it used to work prior to this latest release.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, catbert said:

Hi gazumped, thanks for your interest. The sync does NOT happen at start up or when closing (as far as I can tell without doing more rigorous testing), but sometime in between. Not sure if it's at regular periods or random, since it happens when I'm not paying attention; I'll only notice that it has synced when I go back to Evernote, which could be half a day after I last used it.

Had you sent any emails to EN in the interim.  I've noticed I get a sync on my PC soon after forwarding an email to my EN email notes to address.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Don't know of any inbuilt backup sync process,  but I guess there could be one.  If it is a problem I'd suggest you contact Support direct if you're a paying customer or tweet them if not.. https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

If it's not causing you an issue though,  it sounds like a good thing - occasional syncs means even if the device melts down your notes will still be saved to the web...

40 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  When are you seeing these syncs?  At start-up,  when closing,  at regular periods in between?  Randomly?

Hi gazumped, thanks for your interest. The sync does NOT happen at start up or when closing (as far as I can tell without doing more rigorous testing), but sometime in between. Not sure if it's at regular periods or random, since it happens when I'm not paying attention; I'll only notice that it has synced when I go back to Evernote, which could be half a day after I last used it.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, catbert said:

I have unticked all of the options on the "Synchronization" panel, because I like to synchronize manually according to my own schedule. But this new version still syncs without me doing anything. Looks like a bug? Is there a fix?

Hi.  When are you seeing these syncs?  At start-up,  when closing,  at regular periods in between?  Randomly?

I have unticked all of the options on the "Synchronization" panel, because I like to synchronize manually according to my own schedule. But this new version still syncs without me doing anything. Looks like a bug? Is there a fix?

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, bghows said:

Running the latest GA version. Just installed Win10 Creator's Update and find that when typing notes into Evernote, there is now a perceptible lag/jerkiness when the characters are displayed onscreen. Never happened before the Windows update. Wonder if I am the only one.

Update: I have regained control over the lag by unchecking "Enable instant sync" and "Enable on demand sync". Almost back to normal now. Also is it my imagination but when have both boxes checked, some time to time, there would be a window opening and closing in an instant. Very disconcerting. Let's see if it happens with boxes unchecked.

Resolved the issue after going through Reddit threads. My cursor lag in Evernote was probably caused by my updating to the latest Nvidia drivers. I rolled back to version 378.92 dated March 10, 2017 and response is back to normal (will need to test a little more).

I'm not sure whether this is a bug that has crept in with this release, but while I am typing in the body of a note the focus suddenly jumps to the title and I find myself suddenly typing there instead of where I was.  I think this occurs when an automatic sync takes place—with instant sync switched on it is quite disruptive.

Apologies if this has already been observed by others...

On 22.03.2017 at 3:06 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Handling of large notes including those with big images or attachments on 32-bit systems.E

Thanks fot this! Every day I use Linux as my operating system. However, due to some features that are not available in web or android version I have an old laptop with evernote installed. I noticed improvements in handling large notes and speed in performance - immediately after installation.

New feature request in In future releases - quick link

Sometimes I use NixNote2 client. From there, I would like you to hook up the function of quick link. It is very helpful, useful, fast and handy.

"quick link".  If you highlight text in a note and choose the quicklink option it will search for a note with the selected words in the title.  If a match is found it will create a link to that note.  If multiple notes are found it will bring up a dialog box to choose the correct one. Look at the screenshot below.

quick_link_feature.png

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, FactMan said:

Having problems with the latest version: I load the tag selection with CTRL-ALT-T, and Evernote hangs. The only way to get out of it is to do CTRL-ALT-Del. I checked the log and found this:

Hi.  Same version,  but not the same problem.  Reinstall?

• Level 5*

Having problems with the latest version: I load the tag selection with CTRL-ALT-T, and Evernote hangs. The only way to get out of it is to do CTRL-ALT-Del. I checked the log and found this:

12:39:18 [9348] Sync rate configuration changed:
12:39:18 [9348] * syncStateIntervalMillis=900000
12:39:18 [9348] * updateNoteWhenIdleForMillis=30000
12:39:18 [9348] * updateNoteDuringEditIntervalMillis=60000

What is up with that - did someone add an extra couple (or more) zeros for testing purposes and forget to remove them? Is this peculiar to my installation? Or am I misreading what the above details refer to? Syncing is also taking a long time. Syncing, exiting using the menu (file/exit) didn't help.

The same thing happened when I tried to use the menu to access the tag list dialog. 6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public.

I use this way of tagging notes a lot, and some of them may include a lot of tags, which makes the alternative methods a PITA.

Note added: I turned off instant sync in the options, and the expected activity for CTRL-ALT-T is restored.

18 minutes ago, Liam Gretton said:

Add some content to the end of a note, whether by pasting or just typing (a few carriage returns will do). The cursor and content will disappear past the bottom of the note window rather than have the window automatically keep scrolling to show the last line.

Indeed, I have the same problem. Hopefully, we get an update soon...

Just now, eric99 said:

Window scrolling works fine for me, can you please describe your scrolling problem in more detail?

Add some content to the end of a note, whether by pasting or just typing (a few carriage returns will do). The cursor and content will disappear past the bottom of the note window rather than have the window automatically keep scrolling to show the last line.

On 3/22/2017 at 9:45 AM, Liam Gretton said:

The bug which was introduced a couple of betas ago which prevents the note window from scrolling when content goes beyond the bottom is still present.

Much as I'm sure this new release is awesome, it would be great if there was at least one release in which EN just fixed a few bugs rather than introducing new features and the inevitable slew of new bugs to go with them.

2 minutes ago, phils said:

Ah, OK.  You're not actually sharing the note with another Evernote user; you're just putting a URL to the note in your clipboard which URL allows anyone to view that note in their web browser.

The "Shared" section in the left panel is for notes shared via Work Chat with another Evernote user (and in the case of a personal non-business account, also for notebooks that have been shared with you or that you have shared with other users).

Would be more useful, if it would show every shared note. Back to saved search until then. ;)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, akrde said:

Via "Copy Share URL".

Ah, OK.  You're not actually sharing the note with another Evernote user; you're just putting a URL to the note in your clipboard which URL allows anyone to view that note in their web browser.

The "Shared" section in the left panel is for notes shared via Work Chat with another Evernote user (and in the case of a personal non-business account, also for notebooks that have been shared with you or that you have shared with other users).

11 hours ago, Enertse said:

I haven't changed my preferences since upgrading, but now find my notes are being synchronized automatically; has anyone else noticed this?

2017-03-28 18_08_47.png

I'm having the same problem with same settings. Just thinking about reinstall to see if it helped.

• Level 5*

@akrde

2 hours ago, akrde said:

I've shared a note, but can't see a "Shared" section in the left panel. Why? (EN Windows 6.5.4.4720 304720 Public)

How specifically did you share it - via Work Chat, or email, or ??

• Level 5*

If you add notes on the PC they'll stay on this PC (as well as being synced to the cloud and to Android),  so no advantage that I can see.  If you ever install Evernote on another computer however you can avoid a long database download if that one is set to ODS.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, akrde said:

I've shared a note, but can't see a "Shared" section in the left panel. Why? (EN Windows 6.5.4.4720 304720 Public)

Have you synced/ restarted the app since sharing?

I reported a pretty annoying bug (to me anyway) in the last two betas here and here, it has to do with saving file attachments where existing files are blindly overwritten. Prior versions of EN would ask to overwrite first. Asking is pretty standard behavior. Maybe three times is charm to get it fixed. Can't be much of an effort to fix it.

Also, will you please have the courtesy to not spam plus users with ads to upgrade to EN Premium (such as document search). If I wanted/needed premium I would certainly purchase it. 

The bug which was introduced a couple of betas ago which prevents the note window from scrolling when content goes beyond the bottom is still present.

Much as I'm sure this new release is awesome, it would be great if there was at least one release in which EN just fixed a few bugs rather than introducing new features and the inevitable slew of new bugs to go with them.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  It's an idea for people to check their preferences after updating - my 'on demand sync' was selected in beta before the update,  but the new install left that box unticked.  I had also previously terminated with extreme prejudice the 'automatic formatting' options but the new install showed them selected again...  I put my choices back to where I wanted them.

Edit:  Sorry - should have said.  The on demand sync (hereinafter referred to as ODS) has so far proved to be awesome on my not-very-smart backup laptop.  Much faster operation and minimal disk footprint.  Great innovation guys! (and non-guys) :)

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, annvwuelfing said:

I installed the latest release today and since then have been unable to sync at all and, possibly as a result, I also cannot use the note linking feature.  My log is attached.

Evernote_6.5.4.4720_20170329.log

Hi.  We're not Evernote as such here,  just a (mostly) user-supported forum;  if you're a paying subscriber it's a good idea to contact support directly at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (premium subscribers can chat from the same link) - or anyone can message them on Twitter via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

It's not likely that the release caused the problem - lots of folks seem to have installed without issue.  You won't be able to use note links unless the notes have been synced and assigned a UID - I'd suggest you start off with basic sync teching and go from there.

A good first step (in Windows) is to use press Ctrl and click on the red "!" you see on the tool bar - you may get more information about the problem.  If you have new notes to sync it's possible that one of them is the issue...

How to troubleshoot syncing issues

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, gods1023 said:

When I type my article in main space, 

suddenly, the cursor moved to title line by itself.

When I think that I'm typing in main space, but, I was typing in title line.

This is a known problem in the latest Windows release, and they're working on it.

12 hours ago, gods1023 said:

I'm using 6.5.4.4720 version.

So many times it happened. 

Please, fix it.

I think this would occurs when EV is syncing the notes, can you confirm?

One way to prevent this would then be to deactivate the instant sync and/or increase the elapse time between each full synch.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, gods1023 said:

Please, fix it.

Hi.  When I'm working on another laptop that sometimes happens to me because of trackpad issues - I usually remember to kill it and then there's no problem that I've seen...  You could also be hitting a key combination that jumps the cursor around?

Please, fix it.

24 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Not having the issue here, instant sync working well.  You are exiting the note in question?

You might try to File - Exit EN and restart.  

Thanks for the suggestion.  When the problem occurs, it will regardless if I am still in the note of not.  I have tried in the past restarting Restarting EN and that didn't resolve the problem.  The problem is resolved by itself then will reappear again for a little while..

On my side the "Instant Sync" is not reliable anymore and seems to rarely work as expected, i.e. as before the update.  For instance, the below screenshot show that my note was not synced after 2 minutes and monitoring the situation I saw it being synced at the 5th minutes, i.e. when everything is sync again.

Anyone faced this situation and found a way to restore the expected behavior ?

1.jpg

2.jpg

11 hours ago, Lemayp said:

I think this would occurs when EV is syncing the notes, can you confirm?

One way to prevent this would then be to deactivate the instant sync and/or increase the elapse time between each full synch.

Thank you :)

The solution's helpful for me.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

What is the instant sync option?

Tools / Options / Synchronization: Hover over the "Enable instant sync" item for an explanation.

• Level 5*

When instant sync is checked the note syncs right after you exit it, within 10 seconds or so anyway on my PC.  I use it as extra insurance to prevent conflicts.  

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Enertse said:

The problem is that there is nothing to change back to: the same settings that behaved one way before the upgrade now behave differently after.

Ah.  Sorry - didn't get that.  Try switching syncing on,  restarting and then back off?  (Quicker than a reinstall)

4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I think this is a 'feature' of the update.  Various settings were reset by the new version.  Just change them back and continue using it - it's annoying,  but no big deal...

The problem is that there is nothing to change back to: the same settings that behaved one way before the upgrade now behave differently after.

5 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I think this is a 'feature' of the update.  Various settings were reset by the new version.  Just change them back and continue using it - it's annoying,  but no big deal...

None of my settings were changed, so there is nothing to change back. They are the same as Enertse showed. But still syncs automatically.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, connies123 said:

I'm having the same problem with same settings. Just thinking about reinstall to see if it helped.

Archived