I accidentally added a misspelled word into my EverNote dictionary.    Is there any way for me to remove this word?   Where is the dictionary stored, and how do I review and change its contents?   I am using the latest Windows version under Windows 8.

Okay, I solved my own problem.   I stopped Evernote then searched for a file named user.dic in my Evernote subfolder in my user profile.    That has the dictionary words listed one word per line and can apparently be edited outside Evernote.

Are these dictionary words specific to just this one device?   They are not shared across all my devices?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
15 hours ago, persistentone said:

Okay, I solved my own problem.   I stopped Evernote then searched for a file named user.dic in my Evernote subfolder in my user profile.    That has the dictionary words listed one word per line and can apparently be edited outside Evernote.

Are these dictionary words specific to just this one device?   They are not shared across all my devices?

Good find on user.dic. I'll keep that in mind--it might let me import my customized dictionaries from Nota Bene and Scrivener.

I would doubt that they sync, if only because spell checking is not available on all platforms--not on Android and the Web version, for instance. Of course, WRT the latter, if your browser has an editable user dictionary for it's spellcheck, you could blend the two.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I can see user.dic in the Evernote folder (..\Evernote\Dict) on my Windows 10 PC but it is not being updated (mold modification date and latest additions not showing up in it. Does anyone know if there is a dictionary stored anywhere else (e.g. in the Database?). I am running Evernote v6.10.3.6921.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, NLeaver said:

Does anyone know if there any way to do this on macOS? Have been (so far) unable to find the correct Evernote folder...

You should ask on the Mac OS forum, here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/219-evernote-for-mac/

For Windows users, as I understand it, user.dic is no longer used as the dictionary file, due to the underlying framework that Evernote uses. The dictionary that they use is in a binary format, and not generally user-editable. 

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5

2 years later things won’t have changed. EN Win 6.25 is end of life. If the dictionary was a binary somewhere deep in the client then, it probably still is there today.

Probably not the ideal situation for something a user invested his time and effort.

• 4 weeks later...

I did some digging around after finding this page. I wanted to add this note in case other people come here via Google. (I know this thread is for old versions of Evernote, but it'll help with 6.25.1.9091 (309091) that I'm using now (July 2021).

My dictionary was in C:\Users\<username>\Evernote\LocalStorage\Custom Dictionary.txt

It is in text format, but there is a checksum at the end that I don't know how to update correctly.

I think it's easiest to rename the file (and the .backup), copy the words from your dictionary into an Evernote note, and then re-add the ones you want. I only had 20 entries, so it wasn't so bad for me, but I could see it taking more time for other people.

Maybe this will also point people in the right direction to figure out how the checksum works.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 2