I'm not able to create stacks in Android Lollipop

Maroon

Idea

16 replies to this idea

• Level 5
22 hours ago, Echoreflection said:

and that's an interesting idea  about offline availability being possibly connected to the move-to-stack/move-to-new-stack options..but I just went through both types of notebooks and it does not appear to make a  difference as to what options are available

OK, well, I'm out of ideas (not that I had very many). This begins to seem like a question for tech support. BTW, the images connected with that last post don't show up for me, just lines of code-gibberish.

and that's an interesting idea  about offline availability being possibly connected to the move-to-stack/move-to-new-stack options..but I just went through both types of notebooks and it does not appear to make a  difference as to what options are available

TEBtLxWK6XQVIv52HMW4w8cnzUxSF7BmnQ5vRCQWP3GH_h9Z2lO1IdASZVh6HKCXXy4jvpT5iZ62TC52RZeel4ZhsYpzYuozzXyPZMSthQ3GRshT9kWm33WAgPQrkmjyqXCOLsFBJAhtNiVQfqVlV_iyBzzBdx88ED7lRw5R-rrzmuOT1tKTfzA3TOh_qXhuA2yvnUjyJvRhgxuxy3oF0hoodcLNFnJ4WQcPYw8xPZOBIMlZjb4IBwBI0xeMY_oJSC9UCnHLKrY9_ATWsUyFAsJn1e92udoTUj843vJh-yJjzQ-mIDoTxvHEXio4Gfm2TNJ7eon7FD6BMr8oFesgy8g7UA26fu0ZJnREHsyL1Uj2LSnQB5vFS1OCFmglbzWeh9zgnovF6McsI1wsHD-_OGndTjZzQ6P5XBpN8EQ5StzHG6ueffsGPY3ZylyGkoC8UG66cHs3v2JvTHCMcQjNQkDgcRWU_lk5FWpPAaVouGE80CRerT4P8evByUZYiAJ1FGJhuMNgM6I36-1I6W7_ZDqvjBp5Vj6F5Lu1rDMzMAVGcYqqo6w8OKlr8I6bVZs-NNw0EryUhhw5WJQbOvBdWTSrIoP_EFtABeEs-nMYtQs_npVWTuRkJPclWw=w444-h789-noV95UqBEt4Ftqn5gPNd6Q_7GOl5UMkfNdjKbyDi5_zM5P8TuwQxcV2eVcmbIUJgDi1EJEqGC3Sa_YBTaJTt4_jKYxKwwSBqwa-Uk4XcYNBLNaAterY_DmnJyLbVCgK9utP1kQWEj3avTdWqC15y_e3I5HZ0ND-x66sp-HnZJSj0CSUeDYnyredexlq9fQBn2n9gJO3pbBBaToVms0asbcTyyq6mExWAQ1aT8VI67aDZzGd-tdW4LV4ctlm5n5236S2pfb_-dYZj_IeR0zTSBkPU1DK2WsPJcY0iOxDhDip3sWNm0gaahaoDLbtpx5iAQHam8VeLs1kMPBBjCxzCTWPPNtH8hh0buIYywUJyPxAF4dOI_JTRQC1t7N9PKCLV5J_b0NxX4HWvTztnLQjYQN-liW3exPAJDRpW4x2us65mml-Y-7dQstpvcoNarBPlDMz5zwagrPBx52tLCg3-AtJ2L1QxYPZL4gXmZPhz_Pq22bkxSKq_uKWGQlzviJjxQrCcPnBEkuoU-a-Us_sSCYmOwjgeCJgS1X-K5x9p5qWL8FJTWQTJ9SN8Y6BsASLZYn1Ybpf683qMYYnf1V9z_9NtoC0jnT4wlybmSQCwAz7Ydxy58YzpRMkA=w444-h789-no3XopXftJ9KPj-18q0oLRKN_0Vk2gUqWOmMDJrMjIluw7NM74kCTfbl9FojEQ3NB3K1Eol0-a_ydSS4la6Q-EDAMDYeRafx2jyUV6WTPdhTqVVAtB1vnBp3WlgPngCjjh4Sz22efXSwxFR7uWfioq7rPVTMTmK8Veb1frYlnJplJBEw64oabFpB4raUK6or30SGek57omjCw1ea3winULX-gUWMArNbBvv4ZPA_Fd46Ic-nM8Ij-ycxU15rN5GNjwjGqs26wpuRAR1g8DCZSRWfQbvjt16bii95Q8EhyjHJcUvkdg8HXNMmSEWBi92oYLQd26woPxJQ2SLSAAG4_QiT5XnhSBuheBqWZAMRIAfpwbZlhP3RtHUz_Xufo0xX55FH53AZxk-4zskF-ohMGfowqYedUGpMsrDRxGfRPNVwOpPnKygN9zVyFxsOPZhZclONToZDQ4Sbt764ap4h28sggCoYV1lTEBCcpU0x3mz67-Kg5b2P_4wydcxJgfPDvApEZ-y3B_GXVM1mKMQcJLf0npz70fIrJ7ehAajvnkJQ_vytWvgKS3FqiqiZ4ZDfF_45HoP_rMugd70BLkd4ROoSAVB6OGfHyHH--fZzWemXUseoXr6zl4Mw=w444-h789-nooWqfY5WSDQrbVZfCLwkolTsHJpUmMql1p5FHKOeJXdc7eTNBRfqgUg2ZV2VJv4kx4xQg8ce4ShllBOr8BuphWf_5RwjZeQCSO8kiB8KV5YJDUKEWSmX_OGhNGuHHpHj695RKtyZvh9oLWHAoIUrfGUEGcQzJUhJNbYPmd7P_tPjA1J-OT7-hxbGIHIL4EMomLJhLfAo4ns9QTm3YeJSF9LHwn92xeJJEowPoDTe8aeitNDVM6lH7yAs8pJeJedJGalIC4wfCfR8B3HAc27br3Bz_mlaGbEacJTWfyCPU8ga1XEL1mD8DzLXJxiMH3TQihX6ttskfF12JSDjJdlg-ADw3y81iYDCVTjAUgW7NHFcZr6PUaTVcrI9AhJabJHJgEQVQCddEBuXurKMeynAAL5Afx3uHx3No-Vq1tc0RksFXO0JUzPZE6PTW0-uvyyoovNisr6Oxo_DpxVCi-6HFogOazgYCsZzF8mOFvLhB5VklmYs6ivIjK4wPy8z6TxtmuWABh7Pin31QvizvNWfSqF4XEC-t4si6bhi4pUED5nhhZgLL4qqER2_nZLtsVVDKTD-nvx_VrYBdq-fpHGSA-BACebmXTIXJ8YSPEWbR6uILGHLogGiSJrh8Pw=w444-h789-no

• Level 5
9 hours ago, Echoreflection said:

nope, long press on notebook yields "share, make available offline, rename notebook, add to shortcuts, delete"

Hmm, very interesting. The screenshot you posted from the 3-dot menu includes "Remove from offline list"; but this list has "make available offline". Are they from the same notebook? I was thinking that perhaps if the notebook had been designated offline it might not be stackable. But if you're also missing the stack option in notebooks that are not offline, then that's not it. My list (whether accessed by long-pressing the notebook or tapping the 3-dot menu) is just as the one you give here, except that it has "move to new stack" after "rename notebook".

One other thought, in conjunction with @gazumped's request for version info: is your Evernote app one that you downloaded, or did it come pre-installed on the phone? Some functional and menu issues in relation to a different problem have come up in another thread, which may have to do with the app having been pre-installed.

• Level 5*

Taking my life in my hands here and offering an opinion on this again...

I can't see anything in Settings that would change the menu options.  What version of Evernote do you have?  (Settings > Support and scroll down for the version)

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Echoreflection said:

screenshot showing that long press of the three dots does not give "stack"-related options.

That’s very clear.  How about a long press on the notebook  itself

Sorry for late reply, I did take a video on my phone of me long-pressing the three buttons.  Let's see if this link works:  https://www.evernote.com/shard/s299/nl/41717300/829d5854-c511-473e-9e30-6c6bb2004b7d?title=notebook long press options do not include move to stack or move to new disk

Update: that is not a video, just a screenshot showing that long press of the three dots does not give "stack"-related options.

• Level 5*

I'm gonna have to give back my Guru badge..  you're exactly right,  and I see what @DTLow was saying now..  Move to New Stack creates a new stack.  Obvious when you have a brain plugged in.  Sorry folks.  Shutting up now...  :blush:

• Level 5*

I'm puzzled. In the Notebooks list, I can tap on the vertical '...' menu and select "Move to new stack". You then just type the name of the new stack, and there you are. Isn't that what's being requested here? Edit: this is essentially the same as the long-press on a notebook operation that DTLow notes above".

Note that you need to have at least one notebook in a stack, or it goes away. Internally that's because stacks have no actual existence; they're just a name associated with a notebook. That's why Evernote doesn't have a separate "Create New Stack" operation: a stack doesn't exist until you add its name to a notebook.

So yes, you can create new stacks in Evernote for Android, but you have to do it  using The Evernote Way.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Echoreflection said:

Is there any chance EN is considering making the creation of stacks from within the app a possibility?  I'm guessing many users would greatly appreciate it.

I'm sure Evernote will have considered this - don't know what practical reasons there might be for not implementing it,  but if its not there,  it's because it wasn't easy.  At a guess it may be to do with having to alter the notebook structure to accommodate the new stack (sync required),  then move a notebook 'into' it,  plus all its notes (sync required) - it could be a very slow process.  (I know stacks aren't actual structures - I simplified a lot.)

Meantime if you have a need to create new stacks,  why not just have a notebook strictly for such notes and tag them <stackname> <newstack> or add that to the title.  Net time you're at the desktop search tag:stackname,   sort the notes by tag and do your new stack creation / move notes in bulk then?

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Echoreflection said:

Is there any chance EN is considering making the creation of stacks from within the app a possibility?  I'm guessing many users would greatly appreciate it.

I'm reading this in the link @gazumped provided

1. From the notebook list, press and hold the notebook you'd like to assign to a stack.
  2. Select Move to stack or Move to new stack.

Archived