Recover Lost Notes

I need help getting back deleted notes. This happened a week or so ago.

TLDR: I had a mixup with devices and my basic account. That resulted in me losing my notes. I still have the source .enml files, but can't open them. What do I do? I can't contact support with my basic account, so I'm writing here.

---------

I have a basic account, so only 2 devices can be used. My laptop was associated with my account, but the motherboard broke, so I replaced it. That meant that my computer was recognized by Evernote as a new computer. So I removed my old computer, and logged into my new computer. That started me with a blank slate - I lost all my notes and notebooks from the web interface. I went to look on my mac to see if the library source files of the notes were there, and they were! They were not recognized by the Evernote app though. So the raw data is there, but it can't be opened by Evernote, and I've tried to use 3rd party solutions (Mac App: Alternote, Web App: http://enml-editor.ping13.net ) but they don't work.

I tried uninstalling evernote, logging back in and out, rebooting, copying files, etc. Nothing works.

Can I recover this data from Evernotes servers? How can I contact them without a paid account?

---------

My goal: get my notes back.

My Hope: I have the data on my desktop

My request: how do I open / restore / import / view the source / get the text, etc. of my old notes?

Freaked out! Help?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, SloMotn said:

That started me with a blank slate - I lost all my notes and notebooks from the web interface.

Your notes are associated with your account; not with your device (except for local notebooks)

Switching to a new computer should not give a blank slate, assuming you're using the same userid.

In fact, bypass the device.  Use the web platform and check your notes at www.evernote.com

>>Can I recover this data from Evernotes servers?

You can start fresh.  Delete the app and database from your computer.  Reinstall the app, login and let the database be rebuilt from the servers

Warning: the rebuild doesn't include a Local Notebooks or unsynced notes

The app AppCleaner is recommended for deleting the app and database

I tried the web client, app cleaner, no go.

As a test I created a new user. So now I have 2. Locally on my mac, the two different users have two different numbers indicating the two users. The old folder of salvaged data (a third folder) has the same number for the user. But, it has different sub folder names for the notes I took. So It seems like the devices did matter. I just need to access my local files!

At the end I have lost notes. And the database files... and no way to get those notes back.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Let's start over. 

If you have an account with userid#1 and password#1,  any notes you save to that account will be stored on your local machine if it has a hard drive,  and would normally also be saved to Evernote's servers in the 'cloud' (i.e. synced via the internet). 

In that case the same notes will be available via Evernote.com and on any other device logged in to that account using the same email/ username and password.  So at a basic level,  it is impossible to 'lose' notes or notebooks.  Even if a local device explodes,  the data can be rebuilt on another machine from the server copies,  which are the definitive versions.

There is a feature however called 'local notebooks' which saves notes ONLY to the local hard drive.  In that instance notes are not available on any other device and are not backed up anywhere unless the local user has a system backup.  The account will still exist however and can be accessed from any machine.  See What is a local notebook?  for more.

From what you say it does not seem that you used local notebooks,  in which event you should not have 'lost' anything.  I'd suggest you contact support via their Twitter address @EvernoteHelps and ask them for assistance with login details.

For the record the 'two devices only' limitation is a great deal less restrictive than it sounds - it's two devices simultaneously active on the same account,  so to connect with device #3,  just disconnect one of the other 2 devices temporarily (takes 5 seconds) until you need to use it again.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, SloMotn said:

So It seems like the devices did matter. I just need to access my local files!

Are you using Local Notebooks?  

• If yes, the device matters
  • if no, your data should be synced to the Evernote servers

These were definitely not local. No matter the location, I have the files. I just need to open them. I contacted Evernote Via Twitter - don't want to have to buy a monthly subscription just to have email support. No way to read or edit .enml files as far as I can tell. Can't even import into Evernote.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, SloMotn said:

No way to read or edit .enml files as far as I can tell.

.enml files are mostly html 

You might be able to change the extension and open in a browser

• 2 months later...
Em 2017-3-18 at 13:37, SloMotn disse:

I need help getting back deleted notes.

Hello everyone! This happened a few weeks. 

I have a basic account, and i delete books and notes after sharing by Workchat (notebooks configured without editing permission, so it is not possible to open and view the shared content).

My goal: Recover notes and notebooks.
My doubts:
 > Is it possible to recover by the conversation (also deleted in Workchat) or by the server updating my account?
 > How do I open / restore / import / view the source / get the text, etc. of my old notes?

Freaked out! Help?

Thak you all

• Level 5*
On 2017-05-22 at 0:35 PM, Paulo BUCCI said:

My goal: Recover notes and notebooks.

Deleted notes are moved to the Trash and can be recovered from there

21 horas atrás, DTLow disse:

Deleted notes are moved to the Trash and can be recovered from there

Yeah, but has a few weeks, and my trash was deleted too. I want to know if really can be recovered after 30 days in the Business or premium. Can you tell me about? 

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Paulo BUCCI said:

Yeah, but has a few weeks, and my trash was deleted too.

On the Macs we have a last folder before notes are completely gone; its called Purgatory (really)
I also have my personal backups to recover from

I can't help for other platforms

5 minutos atrás, DTLow disse:

On the Macs we have a last folder before notes are completely gone; its called Purgatory (really)
I also have my personal backups to recover from

I can't help for other platforms

But what is your version GURU? 

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Paulo BUCCI said:

But what is your version

I am a user of Evernote with a Mac, Mac OS macOS 10.12.5  EN 6.11.1 Beta 2 (455047 Direct)

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
58 minutes ago, Benchwarmer said:

I lost my notes -- but they're not in the trash.  My bibliography note file was wiped absolutely clean.  I tried Control Z but nothing came back -- and I don't even know what I did to make them disappear. 

Notes rarely get disappear without a reason.  The master copy is maintained on the Evernote servers, and can be viewed using the web platform (www.evernote.com).  I would search for some text you know is in a note.

My method of recovering lost content is to restore from backups.  

I have personal backups, and Evernote has a Note History backup.  Access to the Note History backup data is a paid feature, but you can subscribe for a single month

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, Benchwarmer said:

I lost my notes -- but they're not in the trash.  My bibliography note file was wiped absolutely clean.

Did you lose all of your notes? Do you accidentally create anew account, say, on a different device, and have logged into that instead of your original account?

I'm not sure what you mean by "bibliography note file"; did you lose all of the notes in a notebook? A single note?

I didn't log in with a different device.  I lost the content of a single note.  It looks like if I subscribe for a single month, I can't have back access.  Unless there is another way to find the lost notes, I'll have to subscribe for the entire year.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Benchwarmer said:

I lost the content of a single note. It looks like if I subscribe for a single month, I can't have back access.  Unless there is another way to find the lost notes, I'll have to subscribe for the entire year.

You only require a single month subscription

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Benchwarmer said:

Great!  Thanks!

But you can only recover older versions of existing notes.  Note history does not help if the note has been deleted, sorry.

• 3 months later...

Guys, please help!!!!!! Seems like this is a related topic here. I am using this forum for the first tiem, so do forgive me if I whould have posted it comewhere else -

All of my notes disappeared from web as well as my HTC One phone, as soon as I pressed "clear cashe" or "clear data" in my phone setting (to release some space in my phone, as memory is almost full). Clearign cache or data should not delete all the notes, right? How do I recover those? Also it is very frustrating Evernote has no UK phone number, or does anyone have it? Please help, I need those noted back!

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, Kate_London_12 said:

All of my notes disappeared from web as well as my HTC One phone,

How about Notebooks and Tags; Are they still there?

If the notes were deleted, they would be moved to the Trash

Is there any chance that you're using the wrong userid/password and accessing a second account?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Kate_London_12 said:

Guys, please help!!!!!! Seems like this is a related topic here. I am using this forum for the first tiem, so do forgive me if I whould have posted it comewhere else -

All of my notes disappeared from web as well as my HTC One phone, as soon as I pressed "clear cashe" or "clear data" in my phone setting (to release some space in my phone, as memory is almost full). Clearign cache or data should not delete all the notes, right? How do I recover those? Also it is very frustrating Evernote has no UK phone number, or does anyone have it? Please help, I need those noted back!

Make sure you are signing in with the right user name.  Sometimes second accounts are accidentally created.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, sobiamdch@live.com said:

I have the same issue as kate's but my device is Samsung note 4. Can someone please help ? TIA

Hi.  Same advice as above - make sure you're logged into the right account and search for keywords or tags to see if the notes were moved to another notebook.  Check Trash and Conflicting Changes notebooks.  Check online via a desktop and Evernote.com to see whether your notes are still held on the server.  If all else fails,  look at your own backups or Note History* to recover lost data.  If your notes are just not showing up on the Note 4,  try uninstalling / restarting and reinstalling Evernote - but beware that this will mean any offline searchable notes stored on the device will have to be downloaded again.

* Doesn't cover deleted notes and does require a subscription - even if only for one month.

• 2 months later...

I have lost important information twice now. My issue is not when devices sync between one another but when I´m using Evernote for PC.

Somehow a note clones itself and overwrites another note in my notebooks, the notes are exactly the same but for the tittle. Last time this happened was in early February and the bug just happened again. I reached customer service for help and. I saved my logs at that time to see if they could help`.

When I tried to contact them, I found the chat was never allowed and when I sent an email a representative answered saying I needed to upgrade to Premium and they wouldn’t help at all because I have a basic account. They also told me I should ask here in the forums to see if someone can help me, so I’m asking now. Someone does know how to recover overwritten information? I don’t know why this is happening and when it happens Evernote synchronizes right away so I cannot undo the mistake.

I have been an user for a long time now, but I have never heard of this before and now it has happened twice in one month. Lat time I lost a note I have had since 7 years ago. Now, I´m very afraid I will lose information if I continue using Evernote.

Thank you for the help

JC

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-26 at 8:01 PM, Jgoyes said:

so I’m asking now. Someone does know how to recover overwritten information?

I recover corrupted data from backups
I have personal backups, and Evernote has a Note History backup feature

Access to the Note History data is a paid feature; you can subscribe for a single month

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jgoyes said:

Thank you! I will do what you recommend. Do you know how long they have the backups?

Sorry, I don't know the Note History startup date.  It's been running constantly for years
There's documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858-How-to-access-and-use-note-history

• 4 weeks later...

Archived