RobLewis

Enhancements to Code Block feature

Idea

The new Code Block feature is great! I use it a lot. Here are a couple things that would make it even greater: 

1. Convert smart quotes into straight quotes. I copy code snippets from websites, and when I later try to use them, I'm often told that there are "illegal characters" in the code, which turn out to be smart quotes. AFAIK, programming editors don't deal well with these. I recommend that when creating a code block, any "smart" quotes (and apostrophes) be converted into their plain equivalents. Maybe filter out other non-ASCII characters, or at least flag them so we can deal with them before they cause trouble. A common technique is to display them as a question mark inside a diamond. 
  2. Allow "in-line" code formatting. Many programmer-oriented websites (like StackOverflow) display any text enclosed by backtick characters (`) with code styling. It would be great if Evernote could do this, too. 
  • Like 2

2 replies to this idea

Another suggestion: would it be possible to defeat the conversion of 2 consecutive hyphens into an em-dash? I don't know of any code editor that thinks this is a good idea. 

• Like 1

The main reason I use code blocks is to get rid of text conversion like smartquotes and turning consecutive hyphens into an emdash. Allowing those automatic conversions in codeblocks really defeats the purpose for me, and the code blocks are the main thing that makes evernote more attractive than other notetaking apps. Please take this seriously.