Reorder text notes and list notes

DanFromillumisoft

Idea

I create lists of things I need to do. I prioritize my time by reordering the list and removing items when they're done. I want to be able to reorder the list easily using buttons, hotkeys, or drag and drop.

This seems like such an easy feature to add to both the web and Windows versions. Reordering lists as priority changes are crucial to my system. Having to copy out of EN into a text editor (notepad++ for me) just so I can CTRL+SHIFT a row up and down and then having to copy it back so that I can view the changes on my other devices leaves me at risk of losing my changes. I copy out, reorder and forget to copy back. 

For me, checkboxes don't work. If I'm done with a ToDo, I want it out of my view. CTRL+SHIFT+D should delete the current row in the list. If I'm scanning down through my list and I see items that need to be done before the one at the top of the list, I want to be able to move them to the top. Clicking on that line or highlighting any part of any line and pressing CTRL+SHIFT+UP should move the selected rows up one row, CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+UP should move it up all the way. Alternatively, you could drag and drop them.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

• Like 1

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote (as you already know) doesn't work this way,  and as far as I know has no ambition to change.  If you get a lot of votes on this thread that may alter their decision.  Good luck!

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, DanFromillumisoft said:

I create lists of things I need to do. I prioritize my time by reordering the list and removing items when they're done. I want to be able to reorder the list easily using buttons, hotkeys, or drag and drop.

This seems like such an easy feature to add to both the web and Windows versions. Reordering lists as priority changes are crucial to my system. Having to copy out of EN into a text editor (notepad++ for me) just so I can CTRL+SHIFT a row up and down and then having to copy it back so that I can view the changes on my other devices leaves me at risk of losing my changes. I copy out, reorder and forget to copy back. 

For me, checkboxes don't work. If I'm done with a ToDo, I want it out of my view. CTRL+SHIFT+D should delete the current row in the list. If I'm scanning down through my list and I see items that need to be done before the one at the top of the list, I want to be able to move them to the top. Clicking on that line or highlighting any part of any line and pressing CTRL+SHIFT+UP should move the selected rows up one row, CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+UP should move it up all the way. Alternatively, you could drag and drop them.

While I see your point that this is a native feature that would be nice to have in Evernote, you can just as easily add this functionality yourself by using PhraseExpress or AutoHotKey. I recommend PhraseExpress since you create macros by choosing features from a dropdown menu.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 3/15/2017 at 9:39 AM, DanFromillumisoft said:

This seems like such an easy feature to add to both the web and Windows versions.

I could question your estimate of the work required.  

The fact is, Evernote has never expressed an interest in becoming this type of application.  imho Your best option is to look at dedicated list applications

• Level 5*
On 9/24/2019 at 7:58 PM, cmorgenstern@salesforce.co said:

I need the ability to move note order in a manner already described. Just interchange the order of two notes. Lots of other UIs offer similar functionality, is this hard to implement in Evernote for some reason?

Probably not hard,  but the revenue from 5 (on current voting) users isn't going to cover the cost of changing the coding for that specific feature... 

• Level 5*
On 9/24/2019 at 2:58 PM, cmorgenstern@salesforce.co said:

I need the ability to move note order in a manner already described. Just interchange the order of two notes. Lots of other UIs offer similar functionality, is this hard to implement in Evernote for some reason?

Ok, first things: in order to change the order of notes, you need to sort them on some field (Evernote notes are always sorted on some field). That's what Evernote does: sort by title, created date, size, author, etc. In order to have an arbitrary ordering, there needs to be a field backing the ordering, such that moving a note above another note in the list changes that note's ordering value to less (or greater, depending on sort direction) than the other note. There is currently no such field in Evernote (though reminder notes are separately order-able by reminder time). So they'd need to add that new field, across all their supported operating systems, and change the servers that store notes, and also the API that Evernote clients use to access Evernote notes, notebooks, etc. and also add logic that allows the ordering to work when you drag notes up and down in a note list. This is just a quick list, off the top of my head, and is certainly not complete, and without addressing Evernote prioritization choices..

So do you think this that's hard?

• Level 5*
On 9/24/2019 at 11:58 AM, cmorgenstern@salesforce.co said:

I need the ability to move note order in a manner already described. Just interchange the order of two notes.

Evernote has specific sort sequences defined (date, title)

In List View, we can sort on any of the columns; again a specific list of fields

The Shortcuts and Reminders section allow drag and drop to "interchange the order of two notes"

I was struggling with this this morning and had given up...

THEN I needed to add a table to my note and I noticed that when you select a row in a table, you can drag the row and re-order rows as you describe...

SO, just create a table with one column and add your items one per row within it. 

One caveat: I don't know of a way (and haven't looked very hard) for the table to automatically number its rows.

• Level 5*
On 10/19/2019 at 6:33 PM, Daniell Stevens said:

I was struggling with this this morning and had given up...

THEN I needed to add a table to my note and I noticed that when you select a row in a table, you can drag the row and re-order rows as you describe...

SO, just create a table with one column and add your items one per row within it. 

One caveat: I don't know of a way (and haven't looked very hard) for the table to automatically number its rows.

There isn't one AFAIK

On 10/19/2019 at 1:33 PM, Daniell Stevens said:

If you use a numbered list it can, if you don't mind the fact that numbered and bulleted lists are not very efficient in their use of space inside a table.