Feature request = search for stack

maineventphoto

Idea

Every note I have is in a notebook, organized within a stack, and I have lots of stacks.  When I do a search for something the results show for a "notebook" not the stack, which means I would need to remember which stack the notebook is in, but I have very similar themed stacks so that is an epic fail.

Example:  if I search for a topic that is photography related, the results may show under a "notebook" that could be in the travel, projects, clients, cameras, photography, personal, business, social media, training, underwater, shopping, site planning, cameras, financial, or motorsports stacks...now I'm lost in space and time.  If I had stack and notebook in my search results I would be in business.  Generally, the purpose of my search is to find the stack that has the notebook that I want to ADD another note to!!!  Ah ha.

The default choices for search results are:  author, created, notebook, size, source url, sync status, tags, title, and updated.  JUST ADD "STACK" to this list and life is good and maybe I can find a stack when I need it.  So simple an idea and it is sure to make all your clients happy - repeat and referrals baby!

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

The problem is stacks aren't anything but a visual way to organize notebooks. They don't really exist. It isn't like a folder and subfolder, so it isn't like showing a path on your PC or Mac. 

• Level 5*
On 2017-03-14 at 8:42 AM, maineventphoto said:

When I do a search for something the results show for a "notebook" not the stack, which means I would need to remember which stack the notebook is in

Not sure why this is a factor in searches; why do you have to remember the stack

I'm more of a tag person, but I can see it impacting the setup of a note

• I can assign tag:xxx without knowing anything about the hierarchy
  • To assign notebook:xxx, I have to know which stack
    - I could use the notebook search feature
  • Level 5*

Nope - not seeing the need here either.  If you can find a note,  it shows which notebook it's in.  If you create a new note you can assign it to the same notebook,  which by definition also assigns it to the same stack - no stack names necessary.  If your personal preferences run this way,  you could always just tag every note in every notebook in a stack with the name of the stack so you can see that information too... 

Evernote for PC already supports the stack:"stack name" feature.  So why can't the Mac version?

My use case is this: "I use Evernote for work and home notes and all my work notebooks are in my Work stack".  I want to search for the word "java" and get all my notes about the java programming language (which is in the Work stack) and not notes about coffee.

I want this query to work: "stack:Work java"

I know I could tag every note in my Work stack with a work tag but that is annoying and has to be applied again and again for all new notes. 

Also, I'm just asking for feature parity between the PC and Mac Evernote applications.

• Level 5*
On 2018-04-21 at 10:35 AM, Chuck R said:

Evernote for PC already supports the stack:"stack name" feature.  So why can't the Mac version?

stack:"stack name" works as a search parameter on my Mac and iPad

Archived