Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I sometimes read large PDF files with hundreds of pages in EverNote.   What are my best options if I want to bookmark pages, so I can continue to read where I left off?    Really the default behavior I want is to re-open a Note back to the same page where I left off when I last read that Note.  I guess that feature does not exist?

I can try to open the PDF in an external reader and use its bookmarks, but the problem there is my default reader does not have bookmark capability.   EverNote apparently has an "Open With" menu option, but the menu is empty.   How do I populate it with readers that work with bookmarks?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, persistentone said:

What are my best options if I want to bookmark pages, so I can continue to read where I left off?    ... EverNote apparently has an "Open With" menu option, but the menu is empty.   

I'm wondering why your "Open With" menu is empty.  On various platforms, I have a list of apps, including Acrobat Reader

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm wondering why your "Open With" menu is empty.

Could the OP not have installed these readers yet?  You have to have them on your system for them to appear as options...

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, gazumped said:

Could the OP not have installed these readers yet?  You have to have them on your system for them to appear as options...

Oh yes, I have at least six applications that are Acrobat readers / editors installed on my Windows 8.1 OS.

Okay, is there a way for me to manually populate the menu in EverNote?   They should have at least allowed you to expand that Open With menu by selecting a Browse button and going to the application manually.  That's the same thing Windows "Open With" does in File Explorer.

Share this post


Link to post

Change your PDF reader default program in Windows to one that has bookmarking? 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, csihilling said:

Change your PDF reader default program in Windows to one that has bookmarking? 

I don't want to do that because the application that supports bookmarks is extremely bloated.   For every day reading of science papers I want a different reader.   I am opening small PDF files 30 times a day.  I am opening a large book to keep reading twice a week.

If possible, I would love to get the Open With menu in the Windows version to work.

Share this post


Link to post

On my Win 10 system the right-click and 'open with' menu has a final option that will let you browse the hard drive for the app of your choice.

58c956c44332c_ScreenClip4.png.15cfa99f822d231b69c70dbef6d5080f.png

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, gazumped said:

On my Win 10 system the right-click and 'open with' menu has a final option that will let you browse the hard drive for the app of your choice.

58c956c44332c_ScreenClip4.png.15cfa99f822d231b69c70dbef6d5080f.png

 

I rebooted my computer and now the menu works.    Strange.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The magic of "switch it all off,  and then switch it all on again..."  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

The magic of "switch it all off,  and then switch it all on again..."  ;)

The single best solution to every problem computers have, unfortunately....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, persistentone said:

 

18 hours ago, gazumped said:

The magic of "switch it all off,  and then switch it all on again..."  ;)

The single best solution to every problem computers have, unfortunately....

 

Maybe people too ... nothing like a good night's sleep to help sort things out....

Share this post


Link to post

LOL - What is this 'good night's sleep' of which you speak?  Sounds like a good Earth concept,  but just lately there's always something going on...  :unsure:  

Copious quantities of coffee is making my world go around at the moment.  (...and occasionally around and around...:))

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, gazumped said:

LOL - What is this 'good night's sleep' of which you speak?  Sounds like a good Earth concept,  but just lately there's always something going on...  :unsure:  

Copious quantities of coffee is making my world go around at the moment.  (...and occasionally around and around...:))

Yeah, I said it was a good idea, I didn't say it was the way my life was going! :wacko:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...