I sometimes read large PDF files with hundreds of pages in EverNote.   What are my best options if I want to bookmark pages, so I can continue to read where I left off?    Really the default behavior I want is to re-open a Note back to the same page where I left off when I last read that Note.  I guess that feature does not exist?

I can try to open the PDF in an external reader and use its bookmarks, but the problem there is my default reader does not have bookmark capability.   EverNote apparently has an "Open With" menu option, but the menu is empty.   How do I populate it with readers that work with bookmarks?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, persistentone said:

What are my best options if I want to bookmark pages, so I can continue to read where I left off?    ... EverNote apparently has an "Open With" menu option, but the menu is empty.   

I'm wondering why your "Open With" menu is empty.  On various platforms, I have a list of apps, including Acrobat Reader

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm wondering why your "Open With" menu is empty.

Could the OP not have installed these readers yet?  You have to have them on your system for them to appear as options...

9 hours ago, gazumped said:

Could the OP not have installed these readers yet?  You have to have them on your system for them to appear as options...

Oh yes, I have at least six applications that are Acrobat readers / editors installed on my Windows 8.1 OS.

Okay, is there a way for me to manually populate the menu in EverNote?   They should have at least allowed you to expand that Open With menu by selecting a Browse button and going to the application manually.  That's the same thing Windows "Open With" does in File Explorer.

8 hours ago, csihilling said:

Change your PDF reader default program in Windows to one that has bookmarking? 

I don't want to do that because the application that supports bookmarks is extremely bloated.   For every day reading of science papers I want a different reader.   I am opening small PDF files 30 times a day.  I am opening a large book to keep reading twice a week.

If possible, I would love to get the Open With menu in the Windows version to work.

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

On my Win 10 system the right-click and 'open with' menu has a final option that will let you browse the hard drive for the app of your choice.

58c956c44332c_ScreenClip4.png.15cfa99f822d231b69c70dbef6d5080f.png

I rebooted my computer and now the menu works.    Strange.

• Level 5
15 hours ago, persistentone said:

18 hours ago, gazumped said:

The magic of "switch it all off,  and then switch it all on again..."  ;)

The single best solution to every problem computers have, unfortunately....

Maybe people too ... nothing like a good night's sleep to help sort things out....

• Level 5*

LOL - What is this 'good night's sleep' of which you speak?  Sounds like a good Earth concept,  but just lately there's always something going on...  :unsure:  

Copious quantities of coffee is making my world go around at the moment.  (...and occasionally around and around...:))

• Level 5
17 hours ago, gazumped said:

LOL - What is this 'good night's sleep' of which you speak?  Sounds like a good Earth concept,  but just lately there's always something going on...  :unsure:  

Copious quantities of coffee is making my world go around at the moment.  (...and occasionally around and around...:))

Yeah, I said it was a good idea, I didn't say it was the way my life was going! :wacko:

Archived