Recover note history by purchasing premium?

Hello Evernote Community,

I tried searching the forums for this but was unable to find what I was looking for. Apologies if this has already been discussed.

I recently noticed that some information on a note that I actively work on is missing and I really need it back. I was wondering if I purchase Evernote Premium if I'd be able to recover that information. I'm not sure if purchasing premium would allow me to retroactively give me access to note history BEFORE upgrading to premium or what. Any info you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Habib

• Level 5*

Hi.  The archive process is always ongoing - so if you purchase access now,  you can get note history back to the first time you used the account.  Note details have to be in place on the server for a short while before they are archived,  so notes have to have been synced before they can be archived (obviously).  There is a slight risk that recent details may not have been backed up,  but it's always worth a try if you want to recover valuable information...

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, Habibians said:

I'm not sure if purchasing premium would allow me to retroactively give me access to note history

As per @gazumped, if the notes were on the server long enough to be backed up (runs several times a day), you will  be able to retrieve them.  The backups run all the time, for all account levels

Note; you can subscribe for a single month

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, tavor said:

How long are the archives kept? In other words, if I delete a note (or part of a note's contents), how long does that data sit in the cloud?

AFAIK it's there forever..  I just checked a note from 2011 which has some original content saved.  And locked up my system... :(  (This is the backup laptop with sync-on-demand)...

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, tavor said:

How long are the archives kept? In other words, if I delete a note (or part of a note's contents), how long does that data sit in the cloud?

Warning: Note History is deleted when the note is expunged (deleted and emptied from the trash) edited: Note History is also deleted in the note is moved to a Local Notebook

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Warning: Note History is deleted when the note is expunged (deleted and emptied from the trash)

Makes sense. I suppose moving the note from a sync'ed notebook to a local notebook would also wipe the note's history. So if you had a note the way you wanted it and wanted to restart the history for some reason, move it to a local notebook for a day (presumably more than sufficient for EN to detect the missing note and wipe it from the archives), then move it back to a sync'ed notebook?

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, tavor said:

I suppose moving the note from a sync'ed notebook to a local notebook would also wipe the note's history. So if you had a note the way you wanted it and wanted to restart the history for some reason, move it to a local notebook for a day (presumably more than sufficient for EN to detect the missing note and wipe it from the archives), then move it back to a sync'ed notebook?

I just tested it, and the Note History was instantly deleted (after syncing)

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Thanks for confirming via test for this lowly Plus user!  :)

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
On 7/5/2018 at 1:08 AM, godisinyou said:

I am in a similar situation -- so does purchasing premium recover lost notes?

There are no guarantees,  but you will certainly be able to look back on all previously synced versions of the content.

• Level 5*
On 7/4/2018 at 5:08 PM, godisinyou said:

I am in a similar situation -- so does purchasing premium recover lost notes?

Premium accounts have access to Note History data.  This is a version backup of notes.

If the note is "lost", you won't be able to access versions of the note.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi there, I am having the same issue and I purchased the Premium version except when I click on the 'Note info' of the note that I want to access previous versions, there is no option for me to click into "View History". Can anyone shed light on this please? I spent hours working on a note and somehow it has come up with an old version without the latest "hours" worth of updates. Thank you!

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Jo L said:

Can anyone shed light on this please?

We're mainly a user2user community - Support may be able to investigate more.  If the note was moved fro one notebook to another,  previous history would be lost.

Subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Don‘t know if it really deletes note history when a note is moved. I have notes that I moved, and note history is still there.

If note history is not accessible, I would first check if the subscription has already taken effect yet. To me the posting sounds like „I just upgraded“, and depending on the upgrade and payment method it may take a little until this trickles down to the user account setting.

• Like 2
On 3/15/2017 at 2:29 AM, DTLow said:

And what happens with unencrypted data after encryption ? Is that also deleted in the Note History?

Edit: I prevent this race condition by disconnecting my network first, before entering my unencrypted data and the actual encryption

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, eric99 said:

And what happens with unencrypted data after encryption ? Is that also deleted in the Note History?

I don't encrypt data  when working in a sync'd notebook   
- the note history will contain a mixture of the data encrypted, and unencrypted

10 hours ago, gazumped said:

We're mainly a user2user community - Support may be able to investigate more.  If the note was moved fro one notebook to another,  previous history would be lost.

Thank you! I did raise it with support and they are now looking into this.  I didn't move the note to another notebook so it's really strange that I don't have the 'View History' option at all in any of my notes.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Don‘t know if it really deletes note history when a note is moved. I have notes that I moved, and note history is still there.

If note history is not accessible, I would first check if the subscription has already taken effect yet. To me the posting sounds like „I just upgraded“, and depending on the upgrade and payment method it may take a little until this trickles down to the user account setting.

Yeah, I didn't move the note. It's still in the original notebook that was created.

Even though I said "just upgraded", by the time I posted in this forum, it was hours later and as I type now, it would have been more than 24 hours since I have upgraded. I've also checked in the Account Level section to ensure I am on the Premium - I am. Yet, I checked all my notes today and the 'View History' option is not available.

I got help from Support via the live chat yesterday and they did all the troubleshooting with me, including checking that I was on the latest version of Evernote, etc... they've team member has submitted a ticket for this to be looked into. I've just got my fingers and toes crossed that they can revive that version I need quickly as the deadline for that piece of work is getting real close now and I don't know whether to redo the work or wait for a potential solution.

Thanks for your help!

On 9/16/2021 at 1:20 PM, Jo L said:

Hi there, I am having the same issue and I purchased the Premium version except when I click on the 'Note info' of the note that I want to access previous versions, there is no option for me to click into "View History". Can anyone shed light on this please? I spent hours working on a note and somehow it has come up with an old version without the latest "hours" worth of updates. Thank you!

I have good news about this! Support replied to me with the reason. The note I was trying to retrieve the history from was a 'Shared Note' in a shared Notebook that I did not create. Therefore, only the creator of the Notebook could access the View History option in all the Notes inside that Notebook (which explains why I didn't see the option when I looked into ALL the Notes inside that same shared Notebook). Low and behold, that saved the day. If only I had known!  Let's just say I'm really glad that Evernote did back up the copy I need but til this day, it remains a mystery why it reverted to an old version. Who knows...but I do wish the sync button would come back! Thank you all for your help

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Great that you have a resolution :) Shared notes/notebooks add additional complexity. The change could have been the result of an action (deliberate or not) in any of the accounts with which the note was shared.