Evernote search - good job!

jbenson2

Idea

• Level 5

This is not a feature request.
This is not a question.
This is not an idea.
How about a simple pat-on-the-back!

I was searching for a scanned receipt for some shampoo my wife bought recently. 

I entered the word "shampoo" and in a fraction of a second, Evernote found the receipt amongst my 40,000 notes. 

But I also found an RV advertisement I had clipped 3 years ago.

Even though the text is tilted at an angle and in an almost hand-written font, Evernote instantly highlighted the word.

Well done, folks!

Shampoo.png

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

Even though the text is tilted at an angle and in an almost hand-written font, Evernote instantly highlighted the word.

Well done, folks!

I agree, JB.  Evernote search for text in images is awesome, the best I know of.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

This is not a feature request.
This is not a question.
This is not an idea.
How about a simple pat-on-the-back!

I was searching for a scanned receipt for some shampoo my wife bought recently. 

I entered the word "shampoo" and in a fraction of a second, Evernote found the receipt amongst my 40,000 notes. 

Well done, folks!

Cool! And hopefully one day in the future Evernote will be so good that despite finding a match in a picture like that, it will know that you are not looking for a word in a RV add clipped 3 years ago and ignore that hit. :) 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

Cool! And hopefully one day in the future Evernote will be so good that despite finding a match in a picture like that, it will know that you are not looking for a word in a RV add clipped 3 years ago and ignore that hit. :) 

Would this be like excluding archived notes from searches.

I apply an archive tag (!Archive) to notes, and use -tag:!Archive in the search

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Would this be like excluding archived notes from searches.

I apply an archive tag (!Archive) to notes, and use -tag:Archive in the search

No I meant AI. :)

• Level 5
4 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Cool! And hopefully one day in the future Evernote will be so good that despite finding a match in a picture like that, it will know that you are not looking for a word in a RV add clipped 3 years ago and ignore that hit. 

Actually, it is cool ! Your snarky comment reminds me of the constant griping done by the media. President Lyndon Johnson once said: "If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read: 'President Can't Swim.'" 

I do not expect Evernote to be a mind-reader. The tools they offer already do what I want.

Evernote Solutions

•  All my RV notes are tagged with "rv". So I could have searched for Shampoo -tag:rv

or

• All my receipts are tagged with "receipt". So I could have searched for Shampoo tag:receipt

or

• Or I could take the simple route and search for Shampoo (at the top of the list) because Evernote sorts my notes by date.

Of course, there are others who expect the program to be clairvoyant and offer bespoke services.

Fortune teller.png

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

Actually, it is cool ! Your snarky comment reminds me of the constant griping done by the media. President Lyndon Johnson once said: "If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read: 'President Can't Swim.'" 

I do not expect Evernote to be a mind-reader. The tools they offer already do what I want.

Evernote Solutions

•  All my RV notes are tagged with "rv". So I could have searched for Shampoo -tag:rv

or

• All my receipts are tagged with "receipt". So I could have searched for Shampoo tag:receipt

or

• Or I could take the simple route and search for Shampoo (at the top of the list) because Evernote sorts my notes by date.

Of course, there are others who expect the program to be clairvoyant and offer bespoke services.

It was double irony on my part, hence the smiley.

While it would be very nice (and a bit scary) to have a software who knew exactly what you didn't think was relevant, I have no idea how that would work without risking that the software would eliminate search results that the software couldn't possibly know I still think are relevant. But at the same time, hey, we have no idea where Evernote will be in 20+ years when cars are driving by themselves.

On a serious note I wouldn't mind a "sort by relevance" feature in Evernote for Windows. I have heard it exists in the Mac version, but I have never tried it so I don't know how well it works and what parameters it uses to determine what's relevant.

Archived