How to exclude Trash from search?

Is there any way to exclude trashed notes from search results? When using search, sometimes I will delete unneeded notes that match what I'm searching for. But even after deleting them, they still show up in search results. The only way to have deleted notes not show up in search results is to delete them permanently, which defeats the purpose of having a trash area. So ... is there a way to exclude trashed notes from search results without deleting those notes permanently? 

• Level 5*

Hi.  I don't delete notes that don't meet my search requirements - I'll either exclude them by appending a negative term to my search like -winter if I'm looking for summer stuff,  or I'll positive-tag the good hits so I can search by tag next time and only get the good hits,  or maybe apply a temporary tag to the bad ones and exclude with -tag:temp in my search

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, jyc23 said:

The only way to have deleted notes not show up in search results is to delete them permanently, which defeats the purpose of having a trash area.

Hmm.  Doesn't work that way for me.  If I delete a note it disappears from the Search.  Perhaps you need to change the Search when note is updated option?

ScreenClip.png.32490e1b7d9aa60fe123296f041a42be.png

On 3/14/2017 at 2:03 PM, gazumped said:

I get that a lot - confused,  I mean... ;)

Seems to happen more and more as I get older. Thank goodness (well, thank the Evernote team!) that we have great apps like Evernote to help us. 

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am also encountering the problem where trashed notes are appearing in my search results.

I've attached a screenshot as an example. And i've looked in the options for search but don't see any way of preventing this behaviour.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

E Steve

evernote-search-trash-screenshot.JPG

• Level 5*

Clicking on the notebook name - Trash - as above will list all the notes in that notebook meeting the search terms.  You could consider deleting those notes or moving them to another notebook?

• Level 5*
On 7/26/2017 at 4:15 AM, E Steve said:

evernote-search-trash-screenshot.JPG

This message is just telling you that your search found notes in specific places, like Trash, but that doesn't mean that the notes from Trash are included in your search results (unless you click on the Trash link in the message, but that's a different search), at least it shouldn't. Have you verified that there are notes in the actual notes in your search result that are in the Trash?

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, jefito said:

This message is just telling you that your search found notes in specific places

When I tested this the other day,  it looked like (unless I limited my search in some other way) all the found notes were visible.  Clicking a notebook name limits the search to that notebook.  Useful for weeding out false hits?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

When I tested this the other day,  it looked like (unless I limited my search in some other way) all the found notes were visible.  Clicking a notebook name limits the search to that notebook.  Useful for weeding out false hits?

My test was to look for the word 'xyzzy'. It was not found in the current notebook, and no notes were showing in the resultant note list, which is expected, However, it was found in several other notebooks, including the Trash, and yes, clicking on those links did take you that particular notebook and the notes that contained 'xyzzy' were displayed in the note list.

Less useful for weeding out false hits, I should think, but instead for answering that eternal Evernote question, "Geez, I know I have that somewhere, but where?" If it's somewhere you don't expect, it's a good opportunity to put it into its the proper notebook.

It's kinda a nice touch, really...

Archived