Packing lists in Evernote - ideas?

tavor

• Level 5*

Specifically referring to packing lists in Evernote. I am well aware that dedicated task management apps may be better suited to packing lists, and I have used such an app (RTM) for years, but I am interested in using Evernote for this function.

Any tips on using EN for packing lists? A couple of ideas I'm considering incorporating:

1. modular lists with a master list linking to the various modular lists. E.g., toiletries list, clothing list, tech gadgets list, etc. Master packing list has note links to each modular list. And each modular list has a note link back to the master list. For an upcoming trip, you work through the lists relevant for that particular trip (e.g., for a ski trip, you include the 'ski gear' list). This saves you from having to replicate items across multiple packing lists, and from replicating additions/deletions across multiple packing lists.
  2. double checkboxes. Each item in a checklist gets 2 checkboxes. The first checkbox gets checked if this is an item to be packed on this particular trip. Second checkbox gets checked when the item is packed. Useful for when not every item in the list is necessary for a particular trip; the first check makes it easy to see what needs to be packed instead of having to either (1) re-make the pack/no-pack decision on each item as you refer back to the list, or (2) manually sort the list to move the no-pack items to the bottom of the list.

For those not familiar with checkboxes in Evernote, any checkbox list is easily reusable by using the "Uncheck All" function to clear checks from checkboxes.

• Level 5*

I took the easy approach.  I have a long trip packing list template with all items in it with check boxes.  I copy the template using Copy to Notebook and then edit out what I don't need.  

Items have been added and deleted from the template across time.  Brute force, but as often as I use it, not bad.  YMMV.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, csihilling said:

I took the easy approach.  I have a long trip packing list template with all items in it with check boxes.  I copy the template using Copy to Notebook and then edit out what I don't need.  

Items have been added and deleted from the template across time.  Brute force, but as often as I use it, not bad.  YMMV.

I take an even lazier approach.  The list used on my last trip is now the baseline for the upcoming trip.  I'll delete items only if I believe I will never need that item again.  If there is an item that I won't need for the upcoming trip but still might need for one in the future, I'll leave it on the list but just strike through the text to indicate it doesn't apply for this trip.  I tried the template approach for a while but it required me to go back and update the template with any changes made in the new list and I'd occasionally neglect to do that.  If we had the ability to collapse and hide note sections I would collect unused items into a separate section and collapse it from view.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if I was going to create move than one list, I would not create sub-lists by type (like toiletries), but by trip type. So I'd have a camping trip I I day business, week long conference, and so forth. 

I like the double checkbox idea. 

Archived