tags : When we want to add a tag to our notes we must obligatorily type exactly each character of the latter and do not forget one.

Aedenn

Idea

Hello

My problem :

When we want to add a tag to our notes we must obligatorily type exactly each character of the latter and do not forget one.
--------------Example--------------
For the tag "1.1- Next Actions"
We are obliged to type the numbers "1.1-"
----------------------------------------

--------------- Solutions ----------------------------
1-
The best solution to deploy is to allow the recognition of the tag that we want to add even if we do not want to type the first character that composes it
To be able to add the tag "1.1- Next Actions" by simply typing "next" or "next action" and Evernote would detect that we are talking about the tag "1.1- Next Actions".

2-
Allow us to decide the location of the labels manually rather than necessarily in alphabetical order by obliging us to create systems composed of numberings
1.1- Waiting
2.1- Now
2.2 Next Actions

I do not understand if the feature was present in the later releases why have it removed? O_O '

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  How and where are you attempting to add tags?  If I start to type a tag I get a drop-down from the first character,  numeric or otherwise.  

OP wants to find tags from strings within the tags.

• Level 5*

Understood,  but I'm confused as to why that's necessary - if I want to add a tag to a note "1.1-Next Actions" I can start from "1" and see a drop down of all tags starting with that number.  As someone pointed out to me recently there are Tag finding options in Tools > Options > Navigation that can vary that behaviour.

Logic suggests if you prefer to find tags by "Next" that maybe the tag name should be changed - to N_1.1-Next Actions maybe?  There's also the left panel in desktop apps which lists all tags,  and the 'virtual folder' option to nest tags under GTD for easier picking.

More information needed I think from the OP to suggest any work-arounds.  Given the new options in the Beta it looks like Evernote is already developing more features here...

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Aedenn said:

To be able to add the tag "1.1- Next Actions" by simply typing "next" or "next action" and Evernote would detect that we are talking about the tag "1.1- Next Actions".

@gazumped

Seems the OP wants the sort order of numbers with access by "next".  Personal opinion, best option for GTD tags is to precede with an exclamation mark and number.  Then you know when you add tags an ! will bring them all up.  Which I know you already know.  :)

ScreenClip.png.8bd819dabf690e45f9efc73d79667905.png

English (please excuse me for my bad english) :

Thank you all for your answers.

Thanks Csihilling,

It's a great idea to ask for the drop-down menu to open.

But I want to add many contexts for this organization to work alone.

By typing "!1-" Evernote will give me a list of tags in Bazard like "!1- Time" and "!1- Calls | SMS | Communications" one after the other, Have no connection...

I also made sure to name my tags with the first word most inspiring, followed by brackets of all the synonyms I am likely to use according to my mood of the moment. For example "1.4- Process (Instructions|Tutoriels |Cours|Procédures |Recettes|Leçons|Lecons)".

To give a simpler example of my need and the problems I encounter:

I want to search this last tag by just writing the word "tutorial".

Evernote should be able to recognize that I think of the tag "1.4- Process (Instructions|Tutoriels |Cours|Procédures |Recettes|Leçons|Lecons)" otherwise, my system will quickly become uncontrollable over time and by the inclusion of synonyms Additional.

The only hack that I found for the moment to maintain a minimum of clarity when adding his tags would be to do this kind of organization: (It will still have to remember the number by which the tag begins research...)

And in case of change of future organization it will be necessary to re-modify each tag (a huge work ...)

• !1- What
      • !1.1- Objectives
        • !1.1.2- Resolutions
      • !1.3- ...
    • !2- When
      • !2.1- ...
      • !2.2- ...
        • !2.2.1- ...
        • !2.2.2-
        • !2.2.3- ...
    • !3- Where
    • !4 - Who

An image better than a thousand words:

• (See the original version just below)

==============================================================================

Original :

Je vous remercie tous pour vos réponses.

Merci Csihilling,

C'est une très très bonne idée pour appelé le menu déroulant à s'ouvrir.

Mais je souhaite ajouter beaucoup trop de contextes pour que cette organisation fonctionne seule. 

En tapant "!1- " Evernote me donnera une liste de tags en Bazard comme "!1- Time" et "!1- Appel|SMS|Communications" l'un à la suite de l'autre alors qu'ils n'ont aucun lien...

Je fais également en sorte de nommé mes balises avec en premier le mot m'inspirant le plus, suivit entre parenthèses de tous les synonymes que je suis susceptible d'employer selon mon humeur du moment. Pour exemple "1.4- Process (Instructions|Tutoriels |Cours|Procédures |Recettes|Leçons|Lecons)".

Pour donner un exemple plus simple de mon besoin et des problèmes que je rencontre :

Je souhaite rechercher ce dernier tag en écrivant seulement le mot "tutoriel".

Evernote devrait être capable de reconnaître que je pense au tag "1.4- Process (Instructions|Tutoriels |Cours|Procédures |Recettes|Leçons|Lecons)" sinon mon système deviendra très vite incontrôlable au fil du temps et de par l'inclusion de synonymes supplémentaires.

Seule bidouillage que j'ai trouvé pour l'instant pour maintenir un minimum de clarté lorsque l'on ajoute ses tags serait de faire ce genre d'organisation : (Il faudra tout de même toujours retenir de tête le nombre par lequel commence le tag recherché...)

Et en cas de changement d'organisation futur il faudras re-modifier chaque tag (un travail énorme...)

• !1- Quoi
      • !1.1- Objectifs
        • !1.1.2- Résolutions
      • !1.3- ...
    • !2- Quand
      • !2.1- ...
      • !2.2- ...
        • !2.2.1- ...
        • !2.2.2- ...
        • !2.2.3- ...
    • !3- Où
    • !4- Qui

Une image vaux mieux que mille mots :

Evernote VS WhatINeed, exemple de repetition des préfix numérique & PROBLEME.png

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, gazumped said:

Understood,  but I'm confused as to why that's necessary - if I want to add a tag to a note "1.1-Next Actions" I can start from "1" and see a drop down of all tags starting with that number.  As someone pointed out to me recently there are Tag finding options in Tools > Options > Navigation that can vary that behaviour.

Logic suggests if you prefer to find tags by "Next" that maybe the tag name should be changed - to N_1.1-Next Actions maybe?  There's also the left panel in desktop apps which lists all tags,  and the 'virtual folder' option to nest tags under GTD for easier picking.

More information needed I think from the OP to suggest any work-arounds.  Given the new options in the Beta it looks like Evernote is already developing more features here...

It's necessary in the cases were you risk making a duplicate tag because you don't remember how you phrased your tag or if you even have added that tag before. This does of course not apply to GTD tags, as you know that you have those tags and pretty quickly learn how they are phrased.

And the reason why you would pick 1.1 and 1.2 etc is most likely to create a sorting order. If you add the first letter of every tag label prior to the number, then the point of the number is gone..

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Aedenn said:

!1- What

• !1.1- Objectives
    • !1.1.2- Resolutions
  • !1.3- ...

I've seen number prefixed used with note titles to indicate sequence, as in chapters of a book or headings in a document

Its unusual to see this in Tags
I prefer to prefix my tag names.  I see you used a special character (!); I also use text, for example

• colour-Red
    colour-Blue
    colour-Black
  • When-Now
    When-Soon
    When-Later

English :

I know that a GTD system must remain as simple as possible but for me it is the minimum required.

DTLow:

Yes I already used a similar organization but it quickly overflowed the screen and quickly became illegible :

ex :

• Quoi (quoi & pourquoi)
    • Quoi - Type de donnée (quoi)
      • Quoi - Type de donnée - Objectifs
        • Quoi - Type de donnée - Objectifs - Résolutions
        • Quoi - Type de donnée - Objectifs - Plan de vie (carriere/formations/Etudes)
        • Quoi - Type de donnée - Objectifs - Besoins & demandes (puis compte rendu)
      • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks
        • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks - Single Actions
        • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks - Multiple Actions
          • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks - Multiple Actions - Projets Actifs
            • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks - Multiple Actions - Projets Actifs - Projet1
            • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks - Multiple Actions - Projet Actifs - Projet2
          • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks - Multiple Actions - Projets Inactifs

Very quickly illegible ... Especially since a mobile :S

It is true that my need is hard to pin down when one has never thought of it so thoroughly.
Tell me if I can bring more details.

=============================================================================

Original :

Merci encore pour toutes vos réponses.

Je sais qu'un système GTD doit rester le plus simple possible mais pour moi c'est vraiment le minimum requis.

DTLow :

Oui j'ai déja utiliser une organisation similaire mais cela débordait vite de l'écran et devenais très vite illisible :

ex :

• Quoi (quoi & pourquoi)
    • Quoi - Type de donnée (quoi)
      • Quoi - Type de donnée - Objectifs
        • Quoi - Type de donnée - Objectifs - Résolutions
        • Quoi - Type de donnée - Objectifs - Plan de vie (carriere/formations/Etudes)
        • Quoi - Type de donnée - Objectifs - Besoins & demandes (puis compte rendu)
      • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks
        • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks - Single Actions
        • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks - Multiple Actions
          • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks - Multiple Actions - Projets Actifs
            • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks - Multiple Actions - Projets Actifs - Projet1
            • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks - Multiple Actions - Projet Actifs - Projet2
          • Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks - Multiple Actions - Projets Inactifs

Très vite illisible... Surtout depuis un mobile :S

Il est vrai que mon besoin est difficile à cerner lorsque l'on y avais jamais pensé de manière aussi poussée.
Dites moi si je peux apportez plus de détails.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Aedenn said:

Yes I already used a similar organization but it quickly overflowed the screen and quickly became illegible

When I said prefix text, I didn't mean a sentence
You could also avoid combining tag meanings "Quoi - Type de donnée - Tasks - Multiple Actions - Projets Actifs - Projet1" could be separate tags

I made a comment at work about French being so verbose (we had to provide additional space on forms for translated text)
My colleague replied: We're not verbose, we're........precise 

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Aedenn said:

Thank you all for your answers.

Thanks Csihilling,

It's a great idea to ask for the drop-down menu to open.

But I want to add many contexts for this organization to work alone.

You are welcome.  Yeah, if you want to user hierarchical tags you have to plan ahead since EN does not support searching within the tag, at this point anyway.  I don't use hierarchical tags, I use the tag nesting for organizing tags not notes, so don't face the same issues.  

To give you a view of a different deployment, I use exclamation as a prefix for task stuff, equals sign for people, period for projects,.underscore for fiscal years.  And pretty much any other tag represents whatever it is, Verizon for example would be added to a phone bill, PC.Stuff to something related to the PC.  So the tag picker is easy for me to navigate since though I can't recite my tags they are easy to search.  FWIW..

Archived