Version 8.1 disappointing

mnpattison

Idea

Simplicity is not always better. I just want to be able to scroll a list of my 300+ tags, tap on one and see a filtered list of notes with that tag.  Just give me a tag icon on the left that shows my tags as a clickable list and I'm happy.

Reducing functionality in the name of simplicity usually goes to far.  Tags are a big part of Evernote functionality. You're losing sight of that. 

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I agree.. Ever since v6 I feel like the iOS team made Evernote for iOS without regard to the rest of the Evernote ecosystem. As if the development team was some third party developer and as if the targeted iOS user is a person that only creates notes on their phone and reads them on their phone.

I very rarely create a note in Evernote on my phone, even though I have about 17.000 notes. But I still use Evernote on the go a lot for reading/reviewing/editing my notes. For that I want to quickly be able to find a specific note. I want do that by browsing through my tags by navigating among my nested tags. In Evernote for iOS v8, tag search is both hidden and not nested... 

And when I read a note I want to be able to see which tags a note has, and also add new tags. That means I don't want the box displaying which tags have been added to a note to be a small crammed box at the top, that also only lets me see the first 20 letters per tag..  

The ironic part is that back when v5 released I bought an iPad Mini for the sole purpose of being able to use the highlighting function when reading notes, which wasn't introduced in Evernote for Windows until Windows v5 was released like a year later. So Evernote for iOS even used to be a front runner for some features. But ever since v6 it feels like Evernote for iOS updates just means an annual jumbling of UI components whenever a new iOS version is released.

I must say am however very pleased with Evernote for Android, which I almost consider to be of even computer app standard. Hopefully they won't mess that up with the next big release.

• Level 5*
On 2017-03-02 at 0:56 PM, mnpattison said:

I just want to be able to scroll a list of my 300+ tags, tap on one and see a filtered list of notes with that tag.  Just give me a tag icon on the left that shows my tags as a clickable list and I'm happy.

55 minutes ago, Ibere Ranieri said:

Is it true? The Tags button has gone????

v8 may be disappointing but not because of the tag search functionIMG_1615.thumb.PNG.0de13c4e776d76567cf3f16e8aa81ba0.PNG

You can see in my screenshort there is a tag icon, and clicking on it gives you a tag picker for searches

The list shows all active tags.  As you select one tag, the list is condensed.  Click on Done when finished picking tags

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, mnpattison said:

On Evernote for iOS 8.1 on both my iPhone and iPad that tag icon is not there.  Is your screenshot an Android device?

IOS - the search bar might be hidden; try sliding the list down

Nope, nothing hidden.  The only way I can get to tags is by going to search and start typing.  As I type, a drop down list of choices appears which shows tags containing the characters I've typed so far, among other options. The new version only shows a list of tags under user icon>settings>manage tags.  They are not hot links, only a simple list.

I like to use a scrolling list of clickable tags as memory joggers.  I have over 500 tags and sometimes forget where I filed something until I see a tag that reminds me.

Your example is the way it used to be and I miss it very much.  If you're using version 8.1 and see the screen shot you show here you have something very special.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, mnpattison said:

I just realized that your screen may be on the iPad Pro version but not on smaller screen versions. 

Here's my iPhone    IMG_0115.PNG.47a709434456162a29c4b2bb0ba58491.PNG

The search bar may be hidden - you may have to slide down the list

Maybe post a screenshot of the screen you're looking at

Here is a screen shot.  I have swiped in all four directions and done a long press on the top, sides and bottom of the window. I have looked in to settings for a switch to turn it on.  Nothing worked.  I'm officially at a loss as to what to do next.  Help files and FAQs are useless.  I'll try again in the AM.  I'm tired and frustrated now and may be missing something.

IMG_0474.PNG

I have a similar problem - I can see the filter, however I can only see a random, pathetic subset of my tags in the drop-down. Starting to type a tag that is not on the list doesn't find anything at all. What is going on with this update -the whole thing has been a disaster from my point of view!

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, charlali said:

I can see the filter, however I can only see a random, pathetic subset of my tags in the drop-down.

For me, the list shows all my used tags ( a subset of my total tag list)
As I select tags, the list is further condensed to tags used in combination.
I consider this a superb method of selectiing tags for a search

Why do you consider subset to be pathetic?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, mnpattison said:

I finally got a screen capture of my iOS Evernote app added to a previous reply.  As you can see, no tag icon.

Its right there; hiding behind All Notes
Put your finger on the first title in the note list, and slide down

Yup, there it is.  Thanks for your help.  However, if anyone from Evernote is reading this, I think that is a very obscure and non-intuitive location.  I believe moving that icon to the top level bar on the left would be vastly superior.  Simple and intuitive.

Anyway, thank you DTLow for hanging in and taking the time to  help.  Much appreciated.

Archived