Delete Note warning or confirmation

dorothea

Idea

It's way too easy to delete a note without realizing it.  Would love to see a warning "you are about to delete this note" or pop-up confirming "do you really want to delete this note?".  Way better than sifting through the trash to find accidental deletions in the slurry of intentionally deleted notes that perhaps share the same name...

10 replies to this idea

I agree! This seems to me a simple fix. I love this platform - this particular intricacy is frustrating... accidently delete a note and sure, it goes into the trash and you can find it, but now I have to have my own human error producing self create a work aroud process to surf my trash to make sure I didn't delete something important. Can we actually get a real live Evernote staff member with the power to make this simple fix respond here to speak to whether or not Evernote will make this happen? And if so, a timeline? Are we asking for too much here? I hope the moderator approves of this. I don't mean to be rude, but the internet is speaking and needs to make sure that this does not fall on deaf forum boards.

• Level 5
17 hours ago, sabouzied said:

Can we actually get a real live Evernote staff member with the power to make this simple fix respond here to speak to whether or not Evernote will make this happen? And if so, a timeline? Are we asking for too much here? 

No, I do not think so. Staff at the moment seems to be busy with preparing a release of what is brewing since some time. Just my 5 ct ...

And yes, such a "simple" thing means touching the data structure (because you typically do such a thing by "flagging" an object to be deleted) and the software of each client (because nobody wants the next wave of "windows got it, now I want it for my mac as well" postings). This is not an easy undertaking, and typically the function is nothing you would start releasing for, annoying all of your users.

By the way, I voted for many threads, but I do not think this one here makes sense. All deleted notes go to the trash and stay there. It takes another user action to force a permanent delete. This IMHO is enough to make sure that if something got deleted accidentally, it can be recovered. Asking for confirmation just makes the software more complex, and slows down my workflow.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, sabouzied said:

I don't mean to be rude, but the internet is speaking and needs to make sure that this does not fall on deaf forum boards.

Ten forum votes in 3+ years might be more of a very soft, barely audible whisper.  Compared to most internet speaking cacophonies.  

I think this is another simple basic feature that should be added. Almost every software asks you 'do you wish to delete' before doing that and it's frustrating that Evernote has not implemented the same? Btw do staff actually check and respond? This has been here for a while now. 

• Level 5

The feature is implemented since a long time ago.

Deleting a note does not kill it, but moves it to the trash. This is a special notebook, it’s content will not show in searches etc.

To finally delete a note, you have to go to the trash, and either empty the complete trash, or delete a specific note again.

This is sufficient to make you think twice before you can make a note disappear.

Ya, not permanently deleting is not the point. I actually don't get any notification if a note has been deleted. Are you saying the notification feature is already present? If so, then I probably need tech support. If not, well then 🙃

• Level 5

You don’t get a notification, but you can always recover the note from trash. You can even search the trash: If you select the trash notebook, it is searchable.

There is no need to keep the trash empty all the time, so why bother ? The note is still there ...

This delete backup is much better than an additional click on a notification each time you delete something. Notifications kill workflows.

Recovering something from the trash is not an adequate solution.  That implies you know you accidentally deleted the wrong item.  Every time I delete something in Evernote I cringe at the lack of confirmation and how easy it is to delete the wrong thing.   I'm a software engineer and confirmation on delete is basic UI design and easy to implement.  There is also no reason the option couldn't be controlled using a preference which is trivial to add.