Verge Article on Replacing Evernote with Bear

Just finished reading this article:
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/2/14785264/evernote-replacement-bear-app

I've heard Bear mentioned a couple times.  I'm not saying I'm migrating to it or anything, but they do have an Evernote import tool.
I downloaded it for my phone and thought I might play around with it.
I thought others might like to check it out.

If you're currently using it, I'd love to know what you think.

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded Bear to my phone and Mac a few days ago, and am impressed. Not quite as feature rich as Evernote, but especially if your main use of Evernote is text notes, very nice. It looks great, and is very quick. Unlike Evernote on iOS, lots of ways for you to customize it. It does handle images and .pdfs as well as text. I imported 600 Evernote notes, which while hardly perfect, worked in a reasonable fashion.

After a few days use, the only problem I see for me is that Bear uses iCloud, so you are limited to Apple devices. If it used Dropbox, I would probably switch from Evernote. As it is, I'm thinking about it..

Because some people might be frustrated with Evernote and looking for alternatives. I think that's fair game.

If we were on a forum devoted to the Atlanta Braves and someone wanted to compare them to another team, that would be reasonable.  Same thing but with software.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, righteousdork said:

If we were on a forum devoted to the Atlanta Braves and someone wanted to compare them to another team, that would be reasonable.  Same thing but with software.

Quite possibly the worst analogy I've seen on the internet this year. 

• Level 5

Casey Newton at Verge says:
"It’s another cloud-based note-taking app and it doesn’t have half the features Evernote does." 

Federico Viticci at MacStories:
"I'm still not convinced Bear is the note-taking app I want to use throughout 2017. I didn't have enough time to test the final beta of Bear, and I believe a note-taking app is best evaluated over a few months of usage."

Bear site says: "Use it everywhere"
but..
it doesn't support Windows
it doesn't support Android

There are 3 employees in Italy in charge of 4 different programs including the beta version of Bear

Far too risky to me to consider changing or even testing. Let's see how they are doing with a couple years under their belt.

• Level 5
17 hours ago, righteousdork said:

Because some people might be frustrated with Evernote and looking for alternatives. I think that's fair game.

Well, from what I've seen of my fellow Braves fans (and I'm only a semi-fan since they abandoned the city for the northern suburbs), it would take about 3.5 seconds for somebody to dub such a person a troll and offer to boil them like a peanut. (If you've never eaten a boiled peanut, your imagination will do just fine to let you know what you're missing.) I wouldn't be that troll-dubbing peanut boiler myself, and I'm not saying that about you; but I think Evernote is remarkably generous to pay for a forum to discuss software whose users mostly use it for free, on which forum said users come to suggest using competing software.

Are there general software or writing or business forums where note-taking programs are compared? That seems like the place for this kind of discussion, with a post here to point frustrated EN users there (often frustrated with good reason, I don't deny).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

(If you've never eaten a boiled peanut, your imagination will do just fine to let you know what you're missing.)

My view on boiled peanuts is let your imagination be the place you eat them, reality is not so kind.  Roasted and salted thank you.  :P

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Yep. I discovered there was a such a thing as boiled peanuts when we moved to Georgia 30+ years ago. I ate one then. I have not done so since. But of course, it's all a matter of taste.

Threw away a whole bag (minus one peanut) myself, in Georgia as well.  \end of off topic\  ;)

Folks, if you're going to continue discussing peanuts, might I suggest looking for forums over at the Planters website.  Evernote doesn't pay for these forums so that we can discuss nuts and legumes and other plant-based protein sources.  I'm looking at you soy!

?

Archived