Mobile Browser Support for Evernote Web

wwwKrisEN

Idea

It would be great if Evernote web supported mobile browsers. I realize that the fact that it doesn't currently is intentional as per the Devices FAQ but for people that need to log into Evernote on a mobile device occasionally but don't want to install the app or can't because of the device limit, this would be a nice feature.

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Mobile access depends on the code behind the web page - can it recognise that a small screen device is connected and serve up pages that will fit the display? - and Evernote's original web page was some legacy code that didn't have that feature.  The 'new' web page is/ was based on the old code,  but we hear that a complete rewrite is in progress and 'should' be available within a month or three.  That 'should' bring the options completely up to date,  including things like mobile access.  Evernote have only (unusually) confirmed that they're working on the page however,  so don't assumed anything is a done deal.  We'll have to wait and see. 

Edit:  Doh!  and... I see that you were sent over here by Evernote to gauge the interest in this feature,  so anyone who thinks this is a good idea,  please click the counter at top left like I just did...!!

On 2/25/2017 at 5:25 AM, wwwKrisEN said:

It would be great if Evernote web supported mobile browsers. I realize that the fact that it doesn't currently is intentional as per the Devices FAQ but for people that need to log into Evernote on a mobile device occasionally but don't want to install the app or can't because of the device limit, this would be a nice feature.

2 - questions:

1) what were some of the use cases where you would find mobile access to be useful?

2) were you using evernote (and the mobile web client) more the two years back when they blocked all access to the mobile WEB interfaces (one simple html, the other javascript) ?

On 2/25/2017 at 5:33 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Mobile access depends on the code behind the web page - can it recognise that a small screen device is connected and serve up pages that will fit the display? - and Evernote's original web page was some legacy code that didn't have that feature.  The 'new' web page is/ was based on the old code,  but we hear that a complete rewrite is in progress and 'should' be available within a month or three.  That 'should' bring the options completely up to date,  including things like mobile access.  Evernote have only (unusually) confirmed that they're working on the page however,  so don't assumed anything is a done deal.  We'll have to wait and see. 

Edit:  Doh!  and... I see that you were sent over here by Evernote to gauge the interest in this feature,  so anyone who thinks this is a good idea,  please click the counter at top left like I just did...!!

1) what were some of the use cases where you would find mobile access to be useful?

2) You are one of the oldtimers, so I know that you were using evernote (and the mobile web client) more the two years back when they blocked all access to the mobile WEB interfaces (one simple html, the other javascript) , right?  Did you ever use the web on mobile back then, gazumped?

• Level 5*

Mobile access I use all the time - via the Android App,  which does pretty much everything (for me) that browser access would do,  plus a bit more since the web app doesn't (AFAIK) duplicate notes or run a slideshow of pictures.  I use the mobile to take pictures,  scan barcodes, record audio (Cogi) and look up note content - photos,  tickets,  receipts etc.

2) You are one of the oldtimers, so I know that you were using evernote (and the mobile web client) more the two years back when they blocked all access to the mobile WEB interfaces (one simple html, the other javascript) , right?  Did you ever use the web on mobile back then, gazumped?

I never ever used the web interface on a mobile browser - didn't see the point.

10 hours ago, AnywhereAnyBrowser said:

2 - questions:

2) were you using evernote (and the mobile web client) more the two years back when they blocked all access to the mobile WEB interfaces (one simple html, the other javascript) ?

>> 1) what were some of the use cases where you would find mobile access to be useful?

Two use cases for me: (1) I have Evernote installed on my computer and my phone - this reaches the two device limit of the free account. I very occasionally (once every couple of months) need to use Evernote on my iPad. Being able to sign into Evernote Web for that would be useful. (2) Being able to access Evernote from someone else's tablet (iPad, Android, etc) to quickly check something, record a note, etc without needing to install Evernote.

>> 2) were you using evernote (and the mobile web client) more the two years back when they blocked all access to the mobile WEB interfaces (one simple html, the other javascript)?

I have been an Evernote user for more than two years. Not using the mobile web client though - I have always used the application installed on my computer and phone.

I got sent over here after logging a bug. I had an urgent need to use the Evernote web client from a phone because of bugs with the iOS version.

I had important notes I needed to access. The iOS client went into one of its sulks - in this particular case it was apparently working but returning the wrong content for a given note so i was completely stuck.

• Level 5*

On Android Chrome, I am able to access the Evernote web client:

• Go to evernote.com
  • Open up the Chrome menu (3 vertical dots), and see whethere there's an entry that says "Request desktop site"
  • If so, click it; you should be presented with the Evernote login, and when you log in, you should see the web client

It may not not be pretty on your phone.

I have no idea how or whether this works on iOS devices.

Throwing in my two cents to see if it will help the discussion.

Been using Evernote for a while now but never really went all in.  Decided to go full digital and was looking for a way to take notes and grabbed the iPad.  This is an older one that works great to watch movies, search the web, check e-mail and just about ever thing else I had been doing.

Unfortunately the iOS is old, and can't be upgraded, so I don't have access to the app.  The Todoist site opens fine but Evernote is the hold up because it won't open in Safari.  My plan was to use it for hand written notes, like I take with my phone, only on a size that is usable in a meeting.  If everything works well then I would invest the money to get a newer device but I don't want to spend the money just to try it out.

I'm one of those guys who takes very good care of his technology so I would need to spend money to replace a perfectly good, and in great condition, iPad to a newer iPad with no real improvement to anything else I do.

Now I completely understand the reasoning for blocking people from using a mobile browser to push them into buying premium but even that would not help me.  If premium included mobile browsers it would allow people like me to use legacy devices that are in perfect condition while still providing Evernote with the revenue they are driving for.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, James Barlow said:

Now I completely understand the reasoning for blocking people from using a mobile browser to push them into buying premium

Hi.  That's not the reason for blocking mobile browsers.  For better or worse Evernote decided that rather than create a mobile version of the web page,  they'd create an app that provided all the functionality of the web page and block mobile browser access.  Although as @jefito described above,  it is possible to get around the block on some mobiles.  Basic and Premium users have exactly the same access (or lack of access) to Evernote,  and the installed app is available to both.  Any reason why it doesn't work for you?

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, James Barlow said:

Evernote is the hold up because it won't open in Safari.

I'm able to open the Evernote site in Safari with my iPad 

They don't have an optimized mobile site, however I can use the standard process for requesting the desktop site.  I hold down the refresh icon at the end of the URL address line

On 2/27/2017 at 7:55 PM, AnywhereAnyBrowser said:

2 - questions:

Editing tags for one - if you are using your iPad as a replacement for laptop you need full support of all features in app on browser or at least on app on your mobile device

Archived