RobLewis

Why does Evernote leak memory so badly?

Idea

I just launched Evernote 6.10, and according to the Mac's Activity Monitor, its memory footprint is 114 MB. 

When I quit it a few minutes ago because it was getting very laggy, it was at 2.42 GB! 

Sorry, but this just isn't cool. If I let it continue it would eventually hang my computer. 

6 replies to this idea

8 minutes ago, RobLewis said:

I just launched Evernote 6.10, and according to the Mac's Activity Monitor, its memory footprint is 114 MB. 

When I quit it a few minutes ago because it was getting very laggy, it was at 2.42 GB! 

Sorry, but this just isn't cool. If I let it continue it would eventually hang my computer. 

I would venture to guess that was a one-off. EN runs on my machine pretty much 24/7 (other than when the machine is asleep of course). So if my machine is on. the Evernote.exe is running, and my memory footprint right now is 66MB and the last time I actually closed Evernote was yesterday morning because i wanted to change how I was syncing.

Close and reopen evernote and keep an eye on it. It isn't known for being a memory hog though that I am aware of.

21 minutes ago, RobLewis said:

I'm currently at 1.51GB memory and 1.01GB compressed memory

If I experience any problems, I'll restart Evernote

This was reported here

Certainly not a "one-off". Just now it was at 1.56GB (and getting laggy) after running for an hour or two. After a re-launch, it's under 200MB. 

Happens consistently. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 6:49 PM, RobLewis said:

Certainly not a "one-off". Just now it was at 1.56GB (and getting laggy) after running for an hour or two. After a re-launch, it's under 200MB. 

Happens consistently. 

I run into this issue too. EN's memory usage will go from from somewhere around 230MB (currently) to well over 1GB (earlier this morning). The higher memory usage was while EN was running in the background, not having been used for ~1 hour.

EN Version 6.10 (454267 Direct)
Mac OS 10.10.5 (14F2109)

I'm suffering from a very similar issue.

After a while, my Evernote Mac App is barely usable and the memory consumption goes to 3+ GB.

Note editing is often very slow 10-100 seconds! (cut/paste or even a simple edit)

I'm currently using following version:

Version 7.2.3 (456885 Direct)
Editor: 47.0.5287 (17d18b5)

image.png

I see the same behavior. Do you use tabbed windows? I think those tabs never get cleared out of memory even when closed.