native linux client

aventador972

Idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, diabloneo said:

Currently Web client is not good enough

I agree with you; I couldn't manage with the current version.
My suggestion is to continue with your current set up and see how you feel about the new version.
Its currently being used by business accounts https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209006027-What-s-new-in-Evernote-Web

I would like to voice my support for the request!

The web version is ok, but a real program is sooo much better. Apart from the reasons already given, having seperate windows plus the speed of an app (as opposed to loading the page on the web every time) are additional points for developing a real seperate linux app. I don't think this should be too difficult either, dropbox has a linux version, firefox has a linux version, along with GIMP, VLC, 1Password, Atom and even Teamviewer! I believe Evernote would (should?) easily fit in this list as well!

The Evernote web platform is very good.

Only that in linux I can not have the edition offline.
That is very important to me.

1) When I am in classes I can not make notes, because in my university there is no Wifi in the classrooms.

2) When I want to write on the beach or on the mountain in Evernote and then when I get home I synchronize.

I've tried Evernote on MacOS and Windows, and that feature exists.

I only keep my Evernote subscription for synchronization with IOS and Android. And for the documents and notes I am analyzing an alternative solution.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, diabloneo said:

Currently Web client is not good enough, I have to run a Windows virtual machine on my laptop in order to use Evernote Windows Client.

We've been promised a new version of the web client, rollout date uncertain. I haven't been able to track down the relevant Evernote employee post, sorry, but I believe that Evernote Business users have it now. Personal Evernote users will have to wait.

On 2018/3/29 at 11:07 PM, jefito said:

We've been promised a new version of the web client, rollout date uncertain. I haven't been able to track down the relevant Evernote employee post, sorry, but I believe that Evernote Business users have it now. Personal Evernote users will have to wait.

I'm looking forward to the new version. It looks great.

Okay,

Truth is Evernote have no plans to develop there application for Linux community.

I ready many people saying Linux users to use Web platform, let me clear web platform is even worst. 

It automatically copied all my notes 3-4 times. Evernote support executive told me to delete notes.

Damn they have issues with Firefox ☹️

Evernote support executive  not know there is no application for Linux, I think they thought window and mac exist. 

If we have web platform only then why not choose onenote.

Hi

As a 100% Linux Ubuntu user on my 5 laptops, i'd like to have a Evernote Linux Client

At this point I will NOT pay for Evernote if it is not developped on Linux platforms

Thanks for your great job and we are looking forward to have a Linux Platform

The Evernote Web client absolutely sucks compared to the Mac Desktop client. The Web client is not a suitable solution for Linux users. And we shouldn't have to use WINE or a windows VM just to use an Evernote Desktop client.

I know plenty of Linux users who chose other competing products instead of Evernote because of this issue. Evernote needs to join 2018 and build a Linux Desktop client if it wants to stay relevant.

• Like 1

So I got the Windows Beta client invite today.  Installed on a Win10 machine (obviously), and it looks to me as if it is Electron based.  So... I am going to take a stab that our soon to be released Linux client will also be the same Electron based app.  Now, if we are dealing with electron, it will be a game of juggling multiple apps on our desktops based out of electron (for instance, Slack I use for work).  Time to tune the carburetor.. i mean electron, for fuel/io efficiency! Excited for a native client!

You can download and use the Evernote app for Linux from Releases · search5/Evernote-for-Linux (https://github.com/search5/Evernote-for-Linux/releases).
Although it is not an official distribution app, it is a repackage of a Windows app, so if it is officially distributed, it will have a similar form.

• Like 1

Both Everpad and Nixnote (Nevernote) suck! In addition, Evernote native client sucks under wine. After trying these, I use Evernote's slow web client (website). There is a HUGE community of Linux users, many of them using Evernote (some of them like me, on a daily basis). I really think Evernote should respect all of its users. It's a democratic world, not an authoritrian one where you dictate your users which OS they should use.

We really want it dear Evernote!

Evernote certainly does respect their users. Just because they don't do something you want them to do doesn't mean they are disrespecting you. A company is not a democracy. Those in charge have to make choices & they have chosen to not make a Linux client. And lastly, they are not dictating (or even trying to dictate) what OS you use.

• Like 4

Both Everpad and Nixnote (Nevernote) suck! In addition, Evernote native client sucks under wine. After trying these, I use Evernote's slow web client (website). There is a HUGE community of Linux users, many of them using Evernote (some of them like me, on a daily basis). I really think Evernote should respect all of its users. It's a democratic world, not an authoritrian one where you dictate your users which OS they should use.

We really want it dear Evernote!

Evernote certainly does respect their users. Just because they don't do something you want them to do doesn't mean they are disrespecting you. A company is not a democracy. Those in charge have to make choices & they have chosen to not make a Linux client. And lastly, they are not dictating (or even trying to dictate) what OS you use.

First, it's not just what I want them to do, it's a repeated request from the huge free software community and particularly Linux community. Second, Evernote is not a regular company, it was a startup that grew up using the funds from public companies, organizations, and universities. "Public" implies that it was financially supported by the taxes paid by people. So, now it's the company's turn to pay back the money by offering its service to all of those people out there, and not to exclude a large portion of them, even though they're not the majority (but still they're a huge crowd). And last, by refusing to offer your service for a big OS, doesn't it mean that you're shouting at people out there: "Okey guys, if you want to use our service, you should use either Windows or Mac, we hate Linux"?

I personally think they're afraid from letting people see their source code, and on the other hand, it's ugly to provide a non-free (code-wise) software for Linux. That's their problem in my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

Erm, Evernote is a privately funded company. I don't think they've ever accepted or been offered a single tax dollar.

They've been 100% clear that they have no plans to release a Linux client - not sure there is much point in continuing to complain about it.

• Like 5
  • Level 5*

,...much less make up ridiculous stories about them, and without seeming to understand that public companies are not necessarily "financially supported by the taxes paid by people" (even if Evernote were public). And by the way -- did you notice that Evernote offers a free service -- yes, ab-so-lutely free, as in free beer. Why, did you know that Evernote doesn't "hate Linux"; in fact, they run Linux on their servers, at least as far as late last year. And hey, you can develop your own Linux client using the very same API that they use -- isn't that the Linux way? Or maybe getting behind the 3rd-party folks who do make Linux clients, rather than just complaining about how the stuff they make "sucks"? Fix it up, make it better then.

When you choose an OS or any ecosystem, you make choices. Your choice has some downsides (as does anyone else's choice), but the promise of open source is that you can improve your living conditions. It's in your hands -- what are you waiting for? You have the means, but do you have the motivation?

• Like 6

"Public" implies that it was financially supported by the taxes paid by people. 

A "public" company is one that has shareholders as opposed to one that is privately held. It refers to the company's stock being publicly traded on a stock market. It does not mean it has received government funds. Mind you, I don't know if Evernote is privately held or public (don't actually care).

• Like 2

It's private Meg, although the CEO has talked about an IPO in the next few years (soon).

Privately held has the advantage of not having to answer to shareholders, but, eventually, I expect they'll need the money. Unless, of course, they can get some of that government funding.  ;)

There are many products that only work on either Mac or Windows and we don't demonize those companies. It is up to a company to decide what operating systems they want their product to work on.

Wikipedia shows the following percentages of users for various operating systems as of Aug 2013

Windows - 90.81%

OS X - 7.26%

Linux - 1.52%

At the moment, there are still more Windows Vista users than Linux users and we don't force companies to create software for Windows Vista.  I like that Linux is an option but it is just not cost effective to develop software for an operating system used by so few people.

Choosing Linux as an operating system and complaining about software availability is like living on an Island and complaining about ferry costs.

• Like 5

Hello everyone and hello CapitainTime ,

you forget something in your answer .. statistics on Wikipedia counts
only Ubuntu as linux system and compares it to all versions of Windows from XP.

So if you look now , it is not 1.52 but 1.66 % of users "Ubuntu " (+ 0.14 % in one month ). To restore the truth , we should also add the users of Fedora , KUbuntu , Mint , Elementary, Voyager and so on , which are not included in the calculation. I think Linux users are deliberately underestimated and this promotes dominiation " microsoft " then he just look a little more closely to see that many "Windows" applications are developed for Linux ( Dropbox, Hubic , Teamviewer , Firefox , Chrome, Google music manager , skype , Filezilla , adobe reader, Thunderbird and many others .... )

for an idea , go see this chart of Linux distributions :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

it is time to learn about the world of free distributions for just 5% difference between OSX and Ubuntu if all Linux distributions are added, you have plenty of public to develop a Linux version (I say "you" but I do not know if you work in Evernote;), I speak well of the team Evernote)

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

Whatever the numbers, there are undoubtedly more linux users than Windows RT ones (is it just called Surface or Surface 2 today?), and Evernote has an app for that, so I don't think it is just a numbers thing. It seems to me that, for whatever reason, Evernote decided early on (despite using Linux themselves, of course) not to extend official support to this platform. I don't know why, but I doubt this is going to change anytime soon. My recommendation would be to fund/support/build a third-party client. One already exists now.

• Like 3

I'm been a Premium user almost since Evernote started. I accept that the company has a perfect right to develop a desktop client for Linux or not as they choose. Nevertheless I'm very disappointed that they choose not to. For at least 5 years I've resisted a permanent switch to Linux only because I haven't been prepared to abandon Evernote.

Now that EN have changed from "no intentions at this stage" to giving the full finger to Linux users I'm abandoning my Premium account and making the switch to Linux.

It would be interesting to find out how many other potential Linux users are not boosting the open source OS numbers purely because of Evernote.

Evernote, please reconsider. I can't believe that it would be a huge job to produce a Linux client for a team which produced one for UNIX based OS X.

Is the reluctance because Linux users are considered unlikely to pay for Premium services?

• Like 8

I'm been a Premium user almost since Evernote started. I accept that the company has a perfect right to develop a desktop client for Linux or not as they choose. Nevertheless I'm very disappointed that they choose not to. For at least 5 years I've resisted a permanent switch to Linux only because I haven't been prepared to abandon Evernote.

Now that EN have changed from "no intentions at this stage" to giving the full finger to Linux users I'm abandoning my Premium account and making the switch to Linux.

It would be interesting to find out how many other potential Linux users are not boosting the open source OS numbers purely because of Evernote.

Evernote, please reconsider. I can't believe that it would be a huge job to produce a Linux client for a team which produced one for UNIX based OS X.

Is the reluctance because Linux users are considered unlikely to pay for Premium services?

This has been hashed, rehashed & re-rehashed.  It's a business decision & it's odd that that is perceived as "giving the full finger".  It's not b/c EN hates linux and/or linux users.  Anyone who dislikes the existing options (IE web client, Nixnote) can use the EN API to build their own linux client, if they'd like. 

Anyone who dislikes the existing options (IE web client, Nixnote) can use the EN API to build their own linux client, if they'd like. 

Grrr ... I have more trouble with this kind of response (I'm not angry against you, I say this with all courtesy of course), stop again, to stigmatize Linux users .. Because we are a Linux user, we programmer! this is wrong! We say that there is more and more users of free OS and therefore more and more people are not computer experts. My mother 56 years old, is under Linux Mint. She does not know how to program a solution Evernote and why does it not have the right to have an Evernote client?

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Your mum can use the web client - this is the solution for Linux users (Or Wine or Nixnote etc).

Nobody have a divine right to use Evernote, if you choose to use a platform for which they don't provide a native client well that's kinda your fault, not theirs.

Linux users aren't being stigmatised, this isn't some personal war that Libin and Co are waging against you - it's a business decision that they have made and have shown no inclination to change.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I think that this is kinda misguided. First, Linux != Unix. Second, programming for the Linux GUI is not the same as programming for the Mac GUI. There's usually a lot of code sunk into programming an application's user interface, maybe even more than is written to implement the under-the-hood functionality. Now if Evernote had used a cross-platform toolkit for their Mac development, Qt, you might be onto something. But if they went native, then that probably doesn't translate to not "a huge job". I don't actually know what they do on the Mac, but this is a deeper question than the premise assumes.

Yes. No. We don't know. Does it matter?

Anyone who dislikes the existing options (IE web client, Nixnote) can use the EN API to build their own linux client, if they'd like.

Grrr ... I have more trouble with this kind of response (I'm not angry against you, I say this with all courtesy of course), stop again, to stigmatize Linux users .. Because we are a Linux user, we programmer! this is wrong! We say that there is more and more users of free OS and therefore more and more people are not computer experts. My mother 56 years old, is under Linux Mint. She does not know how to program a solution Evernote and why does it not have the right to have an Evernote client?

I'm 56 years old. What does age have to do with anything substantive? Please stop throwing around overly dramatic words like "stigmatize" with respect to Linux users. I don't think it means what you think it does: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stigmatize

I think that this is kinda misguided. First, Linux != Unix. Second, programming for the Linux GUI is not the same as programming for the Mac GUI. There's usually a lot of code sunk into programming an application's user interface, maybe even more than is written to implement the under-the-hood functionality. Now if Evernote had used a cross-platform toolkit for their Mac development, Qt, you might be onto something. But if they went native, then that probably doesn't translate to not "a huge job". I don't actually know what they do on the Mac, but this is a deeper question than the premise assumes.

Evernote Desktop for Windows uses the Chromium Embedded Framework. Basically, it's like Google Chrome, only with the "browser UI parts" cut out and with a different application reusing the same foundations (GUI toolkit, networking stack, etc.) So it is actually very much as if it were written in Qt. No need to rewrite anything - well, perhaps some fairly minor portions.

I would like to see a linux client, I would even pay a nominal fee for it in addition to my premium membership. I have used nixnote and everpad and feel the Windows version is FAR superior. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Evernote Desktop for Windows uses the Chromium Embedded Framework. Basically, it's like Google Chrome, only with the "browser UI parts" cut out and with a different application reusing the same foundations (GUI toolkit, networking stack, etc.) So it is actually very much as if it were written in Qt. No need to rewrite anything - well, perhaps some fairly minor portions.

Forgive me for not knowing (and I couldn't determine conclusively by a quick reading of the online docs), but isn't the CEF used only for the note rendering part of things, and not for any of the actual UI framework?

Wikipedia shows the following percentages of users for various operating systems as of Aug 2013

Windows - 90.81%

OS X - 7.26%

Linux - 1.52%

it is just not cost effective to develop software for an operating system used by so few people.

Choosing Linux as an operating system and complaining about software availability is like living on an Island and complaining about ferry costs.

I know that this won't affect Evernote's decision, but some clarifications are needed:

1. Wikipedia isn't a good reference for technical statistics. Apparently, there is no official linux users statistics, but I think this W3 Schools' statistics is more realistic. According to that, till Sep. 2013, the share of Linux is 4.8%, not 1.52%. And Win's share is 68.6% not 90.81%.

2. Many of Linux users have other OSes installed as well. For exmaple, I have Win 8, Win 7, Linux Mint, openSUSE, and Ubuntu installed. But anyway, I rarely use Win. Some people have Linux installed beside OS X. So the real percentage of Both Win & Mac is certainly lower than what's in stats.

3. Software availability is not anymore a serious problem for Linux users, like it used to be many years ago. In my opinion, now the situation is vice versa, i.e. there are more amazing software for Linux than for Win for example. Now, there are very few companies (including Evernote) that still refuse to offer software for Linux.

4. Don't consider Linux users population "so few people". Even if we consider the nominal 4.8% percent, just convert this percentage to number of people. According to this live computer sale counter, 260,000,000 computers have been sold only this year. Consider ~5% of the whole computers exist on the planet, there are multi ten millions people using Linux. Isn't there any chance of Evernote Premium users among this huge crowd?

Like I said, I know this doesn't affect EN's decision, but we should avoid letting our biases to mislead us. Think freely.

• Like 2

The sound of reason. Listen @BurgersNFries, for a hipster company toting tote bags for hundreds of dollars and a plethora of other useless, expensive, shiny, Apple inspired design concepts, the company's "business" decision not to roll out a Linux API is a stupid one. If the company has the time and resources to design shiny paperweight, then doubtless they have the ability to conduct business fairly and give users/consumers what they actually want, i.e., Linux client. It certainly wouldn't be rocket science to port the client code for the Unix based OS X app into one that is compatible with recent Linux distributions. Frankly, what you call hashed & rehashed is an insult to the intelligence of millions of people, many of which have adopted to use this product and are asking for a completely rational improvement.

• Like 2

then doubtless they have the ability to conduct business fairly and give users/consumers what they actually want, i.e., Linux client.

You seem to be making the assumption that Evernote has some sort of obligation to make a product for every demographic. Just because Linux users would like a version of Evernote for their platform in no way creates a requirement that Evernote do so. There is certainly nothing wrong with asking but, to date, the answer is no.

• Like 1

The sound of reason. Listen @BurgersNFries, for a hipster company toting tote bags for hundreds of dollars and a plethora of other useless, expensive, shiny, Apple inspired design concepts, the company's "business" decision not to roll out a Linux API is a stupid one. If the company has the time and resources to design shiny paperweight, then doubtless they have the ability to conduct business fairly and give users/consumers what they actually want, i.e., Linux client. It certainly wouldn't be rocket science to port the client code for the Unix based OS X app into one that is compatible with recent Linux distributions. Frankly, what you call hashed & rehashed is an insult to the intelligence of millions of people, many of which have adopted to use this product and are asking for a completely rational improvement.

"Stupid" is your opinion, to which you are entitled.  I have no idea why my comment in an insult but again because yes, this has been hashed, rehashed, re-rehashed & deja vu all over again. But that's your opinion, so you're welcome to it.  There's really nothing new to see in this thread.  It's evolved to the point where all everyone is doing is speculation about why EN isn't making a Linux client & debating the validity of each others' arguments & your post is no different. 

So...once again...

It doesn't really matter.....they've said they aren't building a Linux client.

It's a business decision & like any decision, there are going to be people who disagree or even think it's "stupid". But that's life.

• Like 2

Just because it is a business decision doesn't mean people can't try to change that by showing more support for it. Plenty of companies stated they wouldn't develop a product and then decided to hop in the market. Office on the IOS for example. 

She does not know how to program a solution Evernote and why does it not have the right to have an Evernote client?

Because no one has a "right" to an Evernote client. I can't think of any consumer product that anyone has a right to insist a company make for them.

Just because it is a business decision doesn't mean people can't try to change that by showing more support for it. Plenty of companies stated they wouldn't develop a product and then decided to hop in the market. Office on the IOS for example.

No one is saying you shouldn't ask for it or show support.  But it's a waste of time & totally unproductive to go any further & try to gauge why they made the decision, pontificate why they should make a linux client, state that it would be "easy" to do, etc, etc, etc.

True. I do think it is worthwhile for Linux users to weigh in and show their interest. I was playing with the idea of trying Linux again myself since so much of my software is web based now. But I don't want to work fully in the web interface for Evernote. I haven't spent much time in the web interface and looked at it tonight. It wasn't bad, but I like more control over the interface as I usually don't show the left pane so I can see more text on each note.

If there was a Linux version of EN, I might give Linux a go again.

• Like 1

Are you serious? You're avoiding to switch to a brilliant OS with the highest levels of control, just because of an app? You're sacrificing the OS because of an app, even a worthy one? It's like you say "I want to change my ordinary car with a luxurious one, but I really like my key chain, so no, until Ferrari makes a key chain like mine, I don't change my car"! OS is much much more important than some apps, the impact of a great OS (like Linux, especially if the distribution of your choice is a great one like Linux Mint which combines beauty and functionality) on your life is much more significant than a single or a bunch of apps. By the way, I noticed some days earlier that although I make a lot of notes with Evernote, I rarely use my notes (because I usually do a web search and in most cases, the first found item is the one containing my previous note). In addition, you can still have the Evernote's web clipper extension installed on all your browsers and use it for some of your notes which are pertaining to the web.

You can have both  Win and Linux side by side without any problem, like what I'm doing (I have 5 OSes installed on my laptop, and I use all of them), and whenever I need an app that's installed on my windows, I simply reboot to Win. I suggest trying Linux Mint 15 64bit (with Cinnamon), you'll certainly fall in love with it after a while, that's what happened to me too. There are some apps, tools, and functionalities in Linux that you can't find on any other OS, and they really help to increase your productivity.

• Like 1

Are you serious? You're avoiding to switch to a brilliant OS with the highest levels of control, just because of an app? You're sacrificing the OS because of an app, even a worthy one? It's like you say "I want to change my ordinary car with a luxurious one, but I really like my key chain, so no, until Ferrari makes a key chain like mine, I don't change my car"! OS is much much more important than some apps, the impact of a great OS (like Linux, especially if the distribution of your choice is a great one like Linux Mint which combines beauty and functionality) on your life is much more significant than a single or a bunch of apps. By the way, I noticed some days earlier that although I make a lot of notes with Evernote, I rarely use my notes (because I usually do a web search and in most cases, the first found item is the one containing my previous note). In addition, you can still have the Evernote's web clipper extension installed on all your browsers and use it for some of your notes which are pertaining to the web.

You can have both  Win and Linux side by side without any problem, like what I'm doing (I have 5 OSes installed on my laptop, and I use all of them), and whenever I need an app that's installed on my windows, I simply reboot to Win. I suggest trying Linux Mint 15 64bit (with Cinnamon), you'll certainly fall in love with it after a while, that's what happened to me too. There are some apps, tools, and functionalities in Linux that you can't find on any other OS, and they really help to increase your productivity.

Highest levels of control does not necessarily equal the best OS for everyone's needs.And, as far as useage goes, Evernote is much more than a  key chain relative to acar - it is probably the app I spend 20% of my time in - so 1/5 of a car. Perhaps like the decision to go electric, gas or steam in your car. :)

• Like 1

I do believe Evernote should think about creating a client for Linux users. That does not only affect one user but may affect a whole company. For example, I know several companies that adopted Dropbox just because they offered clients for "all" the main operating systems.
This is true specially for tech companies. If you are a CEO or CTO of a company and is a Linux user, most likely you will not adopt Evernote internally. So one KEY user can actually affect several others indirectly.
My company uses Dropbox. We are a team of mac and linux developers. To be sincere, we could easily use other doc sharing service but we keep loyal to Dropbox just because they have a native linux client which works just great, and therefore the whole team is happy.

• Like 2

Oh Metrodon, don't be such a wet blanket. When Linux takes over the desktop, Evernote is going to be sooor-r-r-ry.

This isn't really a thread claiming Linux is taking over as a desktop choice, it's more about promoting the idea of bringing evernote to linux. In technology things change rapidly, there was a time when windows mobile, palm and blackberry ruled the smartphone market. While I don't expect Linux to "Rule the Desktop"; I certainly do expect Microsoft Windows Dominance to wane significantly. 

• Level 5*

Um, yeah, I would have thought that all of that  was pretty obvious. Since the thread is largely played out content-wise (in my opinion, we could lock it without much fear of missing further light shed on the topic), I thought I'd go a roundabout way of agreeing with Metrodon. But anyways, since you bring up the mobile space, you can perhaps take some comfort in the knowledge that Linux has already triumphed there (in that transitory way that such things are in our fast-moving world of technological marvels), seeing as how Android is based on a Linux kernel.

Well since I moved to linux was always dismayed that Evernote had no intentions for a Linux client.

Totally understand their stance and agree with it.

But was missing it from use in windows and on my Tablet.

So decided to give a whirl and installed Evernote_5.0.3.1614

in my KDE linux desktop using wine.

f5c1b85a-4491-43e6-b718-d093a3c8991b_zps

Sync create new note even right click spell checking all seems to work so far.
Found it seems faster and more responsive then something like the java based Nixnote a.ka. Neverpad.
And more feature rich than Everpad & Nixnote.

So don't know all the guff towards Evernote for making a sound decision at this time.

May change in the future but at present if wanting to use Evernote in Linux this is your only option.

Suck it Up and Accept the Facts!

• Like 1

You must not be using your pc very much I guess, if having some very minor app is a deciding factor for you for using an OS.

For most people (and me) it's exactly the opposite - no client just means they are just not going to use evernote. Hardly any loss.

• Like 1

You must not be using your pc very much I guess, if having some very minor app is a deciding factor for you for using an OS.

For most people (and me) it's exactly the opposite - no client just means they are just not going to use evernote. Hardly any loss.

Tho I generally agree with your general take on this. Don't be so quick to call Evernote a minor app.

As for some it's crucial to Business or central to everything they do on the computer.

If I was collaborating with multi-users and in a projects orientated enviroment with others.

Then Evernote becomes more than just a minor app. And would put it on the Major & Crucial rung of the Ladder.

Tho I generally agree with your general take on this. Don't be so quick to call Evernote a minor app.

As for some it's crucial to Business or central to everything they do on the computer.

If I was collaborating with multi-users and in a projects orientated enviroment with others.

Then Evernote becomes more than just a minor app. And would put it on the Major & Crucial rung of the Ladder.

You must be joking.

I don't know what kind of business you're in, but there are much more powerful collaborative environments out there. From google apps to IBM Notes/Domino. It's like calling Windows Notepad crucial.

You must be joking.

I don't know what kind of business you're in, but there are much more powerful collaborative environments out there. From google apps to IBM Notes/Domino. It's like calling Windows Notepad crucial.

comparing google apps to IBM notes is like using pine for email. 

• Level 5*

People use OS's for particular applications most of the time, and not the other way around. If an application that I need (and for some people, Evernote is not just a "minor application"), if it doesn't run on operating system X, then X is probably not a candidate for my choice of operating systems.
  • Like 1

hello everyone,

I am here to support the cause of having an official evernote client for linux. It is not only a matter of "supporting" linux is also the fact that evernote is promoting itself as a multiplatform solution/application and in a multiplatform world linux has its place too. I switch constantly between linux, windows and other OS's too. I consider linux part of my daily job/life and I use evernote to write down notes regading linux itself too this means that when I am on linux I want to have my notes readily available and not being hassled by a low quality client. I could be tempted to move to a premium account if there would be an evernote linux client.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Just to restate it again.

Evernote are an organisation who very very rarely talk about their future plans.

Evernote has explicitly said that they have no plans to build a native Linux client.

If you are a Linux user then you can use the web client or in a VM/emulator.

• Like 1

It seems to me there's someone on this thread who is almost happy there is not a linux official version of Evernote. This is not a good thing this is a bad thing. I actually understood that Evernote as a company clearly stated they have no plans to deliver Evernote for linux. But company plans can and have to change in order to meet customer demand. As I already stated I am not a linux user, there is not any longer something like a linux user. I am like many other people a multiplatform user and linux is simply an important part of this multiplatform world we live in. So the idea is, let's keep this thread alive in order to demand a change of direction from the evernote decision team. I suggest everyone interested in having a linux version of evernote promotes this idea stating it in this thread. Let's see how many people will do so.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I always thought - and actually stated at length a few years ago - it would be great if Evernote worked with the WINE folks to make their Windows client work well (enough) with WINE. A few of you might remember that. It was back in the Version 3 days, I think.

Maybe that didn't happen and maybe @Orbmiser is lucky and the level of WINE (which level?) and Evernote 5 work well enough together.

I'd like to understand @Orbmiser's success.

Thanks, Martin

It seems to me there's someone on this thread who is almost happy there is not a linux official version of Evernote. This is not a good thing this is a bad thing. I actually understood that Evernote as a company clearly stated they have no plans to deliver Evernote for linux. But company plans can and have to change in order to meet customer demand. As I already stated I am not a linux user, there is not any longer something like a linux user. I am like many other people a multiplatform user and linux is simply an important part of this multiplatform world we live in. So the idea is, let's keep this thread alive in order to demand a change of direction from the evernote decision team. I suggest everyone interested in having a linux version of evernote promotes this idea stating it in this thread. Let's see how many people will do so.

First, I'm sure there is no one who is "almost happy there is not a linux official version".

Second,  yes, company plans can & do change.  But as has been pointed out above, EN rarely addresses future plans.  Therefore, the fact that they are on record for planning on NOT doing a linux client speaks volumes.  Sure they may change their mind someday.  But users should not plan for that day.  And other users would be wrong to encourage users to hope for that day.  But feel free to add your +1's if that makes you feel better.

Third, no one is disputing the importance (or lack thereof) of linux in today's computing world. 

First, I'm sure there is no one who is "almost happy there is not a linux official version".

Then, please, stop behave like "there is".

Second,  yes, company plans can & do change.  But as has been pointed out above, EN rarely addresses future plans.

Yes, and that is why everybody here should stop making useless replies restating Evernote plans they know nothing about.

And please stop making innocent and typical phrase like "have no plans for it" to sound like "never ever will release it even if the world ends as a result."

But users should not plan for that day.  And other users would be wrong to encourage users to hope for that day.

Everybody here can understand this much. We are not small kids, you know.

Then, please, stop behave like "there is".

Second,  yes, company plans can & do change.  But as has been pointed out above, EN rarely addresses future plans.

Yes, and that is why everybody here should stop making useless replies restating Evernote plans they know nothing about.And please stop making innocent and typical phrase like "have no plans for it" to sound like "never ever will release it even if the world ends as a result."

But users should not plan for that day.  And other users would be wrong to encourage users to hope for that day.

Everybody here can understand this much. We are not small kids, you know.

WRT your last statement, honestly...from your reply, it's really hard to tell, so thanks for the info.

WRT your last statement, honestly...from your reply, it's really hard to tell, so thanks for the info.

Thanks. Precisely what was required to be proved. We are not welcome here.

Please point out where anyone has said (the generic) you is unwelcome.

And please stop reinterpreting what is posted to be something it is not.

As far as "useless replies" go, as I've stated at least a couple of times in this very thread that it's fine to post your desire for a linux client. But all the other debates (including yours) accomplish nothing. (Now those *are* useless!). AND... If you actually read & comprehended what was said, you'd realize there's some merit to the statement that Evernote has gone on record for not making a Linux client. If you don't get that, I don't know how to be any more clear. It's certainly not the baseless statement that you claim it to be.

As far as your statement "then, please, stop behave like "there is" goes... I have no clue what that means.

And once again...since I'm sucked into a pointless debate. So feel free to carry on.

• Like 1

It's comming - http://insights.ubuntu.com/news/creating-evernote-on-ubuntu-for-smartphones/ ( Ubuntu smart phone & Desktop apps will be interchangeable)

Does this have anything to do with the topic of Evernote for Linux?

I should think so :-)

Have a look at the link and you will find: 

We are now announcing a project to create an Open Source Evernote app for Ubuntu. Driven by the success of the core apps projects, we would like to invite community contributors to participate in the development of this application.

• Level 5*

It's comming - http://insights.ubuntu.com/news/creating-evernote-on-ubuntu-for-smartphones/ ( Ubuntu smart phone & Desktop apps will be interchangeable)

Does this have anything to do with the topic of Evernote for Linux?

I should think so :-)

Have a look at the link and you will find: 

We are now announcing a project to create an Open Source Evernote app for Ubuntu. Driven by the success of the core apps projects, we would like to invite community contributors to participate in the development of this application.

Ah, my fault for not rolling over the link -- I just read the poster's comment, which didn't appear to have any Evernote connection. Thanks for showing me the light. :)

So yeah, that's cool; hopefully the development community will respond.

I think Evernote seem overly biased towards Apple.  Why do inferior Apple devices seem to get new features first.

Surely Evernote can make a Linux client very easily since Apple ripped off Linux as the basis of its Mac OS.

TeamViewer seem to manage very easily to accommodate Linux users.  It secretly and seamlessly uses WINE underneath but it works perfectly.

I feel disheartened that every time want to make full use of Evernote I have to boot into an inferior operating system :-(

Come on!  Evernote should be promoting their image to one of Open Source and collaboration.

• Level 5*

I think Evernote seem overly biased towards Apple.  Why do inferior Apple devices seem to get new features first.

Surely Evernote can make a Linux client very easily since Apple ripped off Linux as the basis of its Mac OS.

No, it certainly didn't rip off Linux. OSX is based on a version of Unix, not Linux. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X. Linux != Unix.

• Like 2

TeamViewer seem to manage very easily to accommodate Linux users.  It secretly and seamlessly uses WINE underneath but it works perfectly.

I feel disheartened that every time want to make full use of Evernote I have to boot into an inferior operating system :-(

Come on!  Evernote should be promoting their image to one of Open Source and collaboration.

You seem to think because you think Apple products and Windows OS are inferior that that's a fact. Well guess what? It's not a fact & simply your opinion. Each has their own pros & cons as does Linux. WRT Evernote, you can always use the web client.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Why? It is a private company with a responsibility to it's investors, employees and to a certain extent to it's customers.

Frankly, I don't think they have any interest in the Open Source community and I'm not sure why they should have.

• Like 2
They've been 100% clear that they have no plans to release a Linux client - not sure there is much point in continuing to complain about it.

It's good to have a clear statement at least. I still think it's interesting to complain (even if Linux users are less than 2%) because it gives information to any company wanting to offer an alternative to Evernote that there is a need for a fully multi OS note manager software ;-) But I would consider the situation the other way round : I'd consider having a computer working on Linux if there was an option for an Evernote like application. So maybe that the Ubuntu community should help Evernote developping their Linux version... which they will probably not do because their code has the reputation to be ugly. 

• Level 5*

It's good to have a clear statement at least. I still think it's interesting to complain (even if Linux users are less than 2%) because it gives information to any company wanting to offer an alternative to Evernote that there is a need for a fully multi OS note manager software ;-) But I would consider the situation the other way round : I'd consider having a computer working on Linux if there was an option for an Evernote like application. So maybe that the Ubuntu community should help Evernote developping their Linux version... which they will probably not do because their code has the reputation to be ugly.

I think that the message is that Evernote doesn't appear willing to commit resources towards developing a Linux client, i.e., there is no "their Linux version", and there probably won't be. There are a couple of non-Evernote developed Evernote clients, however (noted several times in this topic) -- that might be a better place to put support efforts.

You seem to think because you think Apple products and Windows OS are inferior that that's a fact. Well guess what? It's not a fact & simply your opinion. Each has their own pros & cons as does Linux. WRT Evernote, you can always use the web client.

It's certainly a fact that Linux is better than Windows.  It's more efficient, safer, and did I mention value for money?

It's a fact that Steve Jobs was so arrogant with the release of the iPhone.  It was inferior in every way to equivalent HTC Windows Mobile phones at the time users couldn't record video until the 3GS!  I also recall one of them that had an antenna fault and from his response it was clear that Jobs couldn't care less about his customers.   Thankfully, the gimmick has worn off now and quite rightly they have been overtaken by superior devices.   Don't write me off as a complete Apple hater for the sake of it.  I was pro-Apple during the 80's and 90's.  Steve Jobs turned on his principles and left an Apple that is the IBM of the 21st century.  It's Apple that wanted it all but thankfully Android gave us a sound alternative.

In the 1990's the biggest phone company was NOKIA, they were arrogant and didn't listen to their customers.  NOKIA no longer make money in the mobile phone business and had to be bailed out by Microsoft.

I hope Evernote aren't making the same mistake.

• Level 5*

It's certainly a fact that Linux is better than Windows.  It's more efficient, safer, and did I mention value for money?

It's a fact that Steve Jobs was so arrogant with the release of the iPhone.  It was inferior in every way to equivalent HTC Windows Mobile phones at the time users couldn't record video until the 3GS!  I also recall one of them that had an antenna fault and from his response it was clear that Jobs couldn't care less about his customers.   Thankfully, the gimmick has worn off now and quite rightly they have been overtaken by superior devices.   Don't write me off as a complete Apple hater for the sake of it.  I was pro-Apple during the 80's and 90's.  Steve Jobs turned on his principles and left an Apple that is the IBM of the 21st century.  It's Apple that wanted it all but thankfully Android gave us a sound alternative.

In the 1990's the biggest phone company was NOKIA, they were arrogant and didn't listen to their customers.  NOKIA no longer make money in the mobile phone business and had to be bailed out by Microsoft.

I hope Evernote aren't making the same mistake.

Thanks for giving my post of the year for 2014!

• Like 1

I think Evernote should reconsider its decision on a Linux client.  

First, Evernote has a really good reputation as just plain good people and a good company that I believe is quite deserved.   So in keeping with that it seems certain they would like to have even more happy users. Some of us using Linux at least some of the time and would be even happier customers if there was a Linux client.   

Second, there are many in the community that have this need that would be delighted to write this client as open source or even as proprietary given just enough support or API access to do so.  It would not have to cost Evernote much at all to have this client built.  If it is open source, it would not even cost Evernote much to have it maintained.

So in light of even better community positive response and incurring little extra cost and delighting many more users this seems to me a very clear win-win.  

So what is the thinking that would decide it otherwise? 

BTW, why doesn't someone actually from Evernote comment on this request?  

• Level 5*

Post 2, Post 17, Post 29 - plus lots more  here - http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22658-request-evernote-for-linux/

There is a significant API available and the offer of help from Evernote, but they have been really very explicit (by their own standards) and it seems like they simply do not plan to build their own client.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Post 2, Post 17, Post 29 - plus lots more  here - http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22658-request-evernote-for-linux/

There is a significant API available and the offer of help from Evernote, but they have been really very explicit (by their own standards) and it seems like they simply do not plan to build their own client.

The posts by Dave Engberg about Linux in the linked topic for not building a Linux client are very clear about their rationale for not building a Linux client. They understand Linux, they use Linux on their servers, and they don't fear a 3rd-party Linux client; they're just not seeing the potential payback for making one themselves. That Evernote staff haven't commented in this particular topic here is typical; since nothing has changed, there's no need to repeat themselves.

I think Evernote should reconsider its decision on a Linux client.  

First, Evernote has a really good reputation as just plain good people and a good company that I believe is quite deserved.   So in keeping with that it seems certain they would like to have even more happy users. Some of us using Linux at least some of the time and would be even happier customers if there was a Linux client.   

Second, there are many in the community that have this need that would be delighted to write this client as open source or even as proprietary given just enough support or API access to do so.  It would not have to cost Evernote much at all to have this client built.  If it is open source, it would not even cost Evernote much to have it maintained.

So in light of even better community positive response and incurring little extra cost and delighting many more users this seems to me a very clear win-win.  

So what is the thinking that would decide it otherwise? 

BTW, why doesn't someone actually from Evernote comment on this request?  

In addition to what Metrodon & Jefito said, wrt open source, a fellow board member, baumgarr, has built Nevernote/Nixnote, which is open source.  Rather than complaining about the lack of an "official" Evernote client, wny not help a fellow linux/Evernote user who has already put his nose to the grindstone to create a linux client?

http://nevernote.sourceforge.net/index.htm

Dear Evernote Team,

This is an request from a fellow engineer. Please educate the management about linux, its omnipresence and the wider community behind it. As we all know, today linux, which is  promoted and driven by the open source community (especially Ubuntu, Redhat, OpenSuse and others ) is ubiquitous, more stable and long running. I had not rebooted my VM atleast for an year. Please consider supporting linux in the near future !

I use - Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, OpenSuse, Kubuntu, Centos, Mint. Also I use, Windows 8 and Mac Lion and Mountain Lion. Today i use the web interface of Evernote on all my linux OS, but it is not as good as the native app.

I am sure the entire LINUX community would most welcome the native app on their OS !

Thanks !