native linux client

aventador972

Idea

• Level 5*

Dear Evernote Team,

This is an request from a fellow engineer. Please educate the management about linux, its omnipresence and the wider community behind it. As we all know, today linux, which is promoted and driven by the open source community (especially Ubuntu, Redhat, OpenSuse and others ) is ubiquitous, more stable and long running. I had not rebooted my VM atleast for an year. Please consider supporting linux in the near future !

I use - Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, OpenSuse, Kubuntu, Centos, Mint. Also I use, Windows 8 and Mac Lion and Mountain Lion. Today i use the web interface of Evernote on all my linux OS, but it is not as good as the native app.

I am sure the entire LINUX community would most welcome the native app on their OS !

Thanks !

Hi. Welcome to the forums. The Evernote developers use Linux and are quite familiar with the open source community -- they contribute to it themselves! They decided not to make an app for Linux, though. There is a native client created by a member of the user community.

http://nevernote.sourceforge.net/index.htm

See earlier in this thread for a discussion of it and other points related to your comments.

• Level 5*

This is an request from a fellow engineer. Please educate the management about linux, its omnipresence and the wider community behind it. As we all know, today linux, which is  promoted and driven by the open source community (especially Ubuntu, Redhat, OpenSuse and others ) is ubiquitous, more stable and long running. I had not rebooted my VM atleast for an year. Please consider supporting linux in the near future !

Please read the topic that's been linked to several times already: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22658-request-evernote-for-linux/, one just a few posts above yours. Dave Engberg *is* Evernote managment -- he's the CTO, and he has written very clearly about Linux vs. Evernote in the linked topic.

BTW, why doesn't someone actually from Evernote comment on this request?  

This is a user-to-user forum so Evernote staff participation is limited. And, as has been noted several times in this thread, Evernote has commented. They said they are not planning to make an Linux version. 

Best of luck. 

Hello forum topic contributers (and any EN folks doing the due diligence perusal)

I've been testing out EN for business and personal use for some time now, across multiple versions. OS's include WinXP, Android up to 4.x, and Ubuntu 13.x. WhiIe EN shows promise, and has proven useful, it is dissappointing that, afaik, the full EN feature set is not available on Ubuntu Linux (as far as I've seen so far, the web view doesn't offer the full feature set) , just as it has  been dissapointing to find the divergent feature support between OSX and Windows - the constant lag in equalizing feature support, and the rather cryptic or misleading application error messaging regarding these issues has not been too helpful as well. It was nice to see the recent notification regarding the efforts to address this continued problem - even if we won't see all the editing features in Windows or Android that we see in the Apple flavor, some serious effort is going into achieving a some kind of fix. Good. What worries me is that this kind of contined divergence in feature support suggests that the choices in basic EN coding implementations mean that EN will never and can never achieve standard cross OS support. Operating system users outside of the Apple ecosystem will always have to wait for fixes - if I was running a heterogenous office environment, and the office OS was OSX, I might not care. But, I'm not, and it doesn't look like I'll have that pleasure any time soon.

Anyway, it's been nice testing out EN, and I may give it some more time, but it's looking like we'll have to abandon this useful application sometime soon, and turn to less integrated but more standard methods. Too bad.

• Level 5*

Operating system users outside of the Apple ecosystem will always have to wait for fixes - if I was running a heterogenous office environment, and the office OS was OSX, I might not care. But, I'm not, and it doesn't look like I'll have that pleasure any time soon.

?? Are you saying that Mac / iOS users *don't* need to wait for fixes? You should probably read some of the forum topics by Mac and iOS users -- you might get a different idea...

• Like 1

Operating system users outside of the Apple ecosystem will always have to wait for fixes - if I was running a heterogenous office environment, and the office OS was OSX, I might not care. But, I'm not, and it doesn't look like I'll have that pleasure any time soon.

?? Are you saying that Mac / iOS users *don't* need to wait for fixes? You should probably read some of the forum topics by Mac and iOS users -- you might get a different idea...

Nope, that's not what I wrote.

• Level 5*

Nope, that's not what I wrote.

I quoted you directly, so it is what you wrote. Unless you care to clarify, I have no other way to understand what you *meant*...
  • Like 1

Operating system users outside of the Apple ecosystem will always have to wait for fixes

Users of all OSes must wait for fixes, as they are not completed & delivered instantaneously. BTW, the Windows desktop app is considered by some as the gold standard as there are at least a few features in the Windows client that the Mac & iOS users long for.

• Like 1

After reading this entire thread, I'd just like to add a +1 for a Linux client.

I've been an Evernote premium user for several years (Windows, iOS). For me, all the NSA stuff that has prompted me to set up a dual-boot machine with Windows 8 and Ubuntu, with hopes of eventually being able to get away from Windows completely. I can't do that without Evernote, or a suitable replacement.

So, I'm hoping the Ubuntu phone effort bears fruit for the desktop OS as well.

Cheers!

I'm compelled to reply to this, mostly due to all of the outright acceptance of "no we won't build one" and demonizing of those that are itching for it.  

That's fine if they refuse to build one -- they absolutely have every right to do so.  It's a business, and that's a business decision.  but I'd be curious to know why?  Why outright refuse to do it, instead of keeping that option open?  I saw the thread where it was said they "don't have the resources to build an app for 1% of our users", to which I call bull****.

First, linux usage is well higher than 1%.  Secondly, their app is designed to work "on every device you use".  (It's right there in their marketing material.)  So obviously, they know those "1%" of users probably have another device that they're syncing with anyway.   I have a MacBook, an Android phone, and a Linux desktop.  How do I factor into that "1% of potential customers"?  What's the point of using Evernote on my phone, if I can't then have those updates available on my desktop?

(You can say, "but you can, using Bob the Developer's linux client!".  But why wouldn't THEY want to control that experience?)

Evernote raised $225 million dollars over their existence, which they seem to have used to build and promote a client for every operating system except for linux, including Windows Phone, ChromeOS and Blackberry.  So you're telling me that an underestimated "1%" of potential customers isn't worth the consideration.... but an overestimated 4% (Windows Phone users) is?  Not to mention, Windows Phone usage wasn't even as high as 4% when that statement was made.

(You can say, mobile users fit more into their strategy...which I could agree with... but that's the point.)

To me it seems like they're not building a Linux client because someone else already did and they don't care that much, so there's no reason to give up the free labor.  Other companies that do that at least support (as in contribute to) the open source implementation of their product. 

Or maybe there's another business decision, but I don't accept that it's just because linux is "such a small share".  Hell even Spotify is building a Linux app.

Post 2, Post 17, Post 29 - plus lots more  here - http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22658-request-evernote-for-linux/

There is a significant API available and the offer of help from Evernote, but they have been really very explicit (by their own standards) and it seems like they simply do not plan to build their own client.

The posts by Dave Engberg about Linux in the linked topic for not building a Linux client are very clear about their rationale for not building a Linux client. They understand Linux, they use Linux on their servers, and they don't fear a 3rd-party Linux client; they're just not seeing the potential payback for making one themselves. That Evernote staff haven't commented in this particular topic here is typical; since nothing has changed, there's no need to repeat themselves.

This is an request from a fellow engineer. Please educate the management about linux, its omnipresence and the wider community behind it. As we all know, today linux, which is  promoted and driven by the open source community (especially Ubuntu, Redhat, OpenSuse and others ) is ubiquitous, more stable and long running. I had not rebooted my VM atleast for an year. Please consider supporting linux in the near future !

Please read the topic that's been linked to several times already: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22658-request-evernote-for-linux/, one just a few posts above yours. Dave Engberg *is* Evernote managment -- he's the CTO, and he has written very clearly about Linux vs. Evernote in the linked topic.

Edited by GrumpyMonkey
Edited for profanity.

I'm compelled to reply to this, mostly due to all of the outright acceptance of "no we won't build one" and demonizing of those that are itching for it.  

Where has anyone "demonized" anyone who wants a linux client? How does such inflammatory rhetoric help? 

As Jeff and others have pointed out. Evernote has given their reasons. I understand that you neither like nor agree with those reasons. And there is certainly nothing wrong with continuing to ask. However, Evernote has shown little inclination to revisit the issue or provide additional public comment. 

Best of luck. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I'm not sure (I'm just being polite, I'm really very sure) that Evernote doesn't have to justify its business decisions.

You could always upgrade to a proper OS

(Runs away grinning like a proper troll)

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Hi! Welcome to the forums. Let's keep this space family-friendly and refrain from profanity. Besides, your point is better made without it. What you are asking for is a new rationale, and I think it is fair to ask. I am afraid we (other users) can't help out here, though. All we know is what we have heard from Evernote staff on the forums. If you want an official answer to your query, I strongly suggest contacting customer support.

• Like 1

I used wine on fedora 18 & 19  both worked fin.  small issue with 19 is that the search box recent searches is always up, but had no issues with it on fedora 18.  works just like on my windows. syncs searches and everything. I will be testing it on fedora 20 through out the week as well. more to come.  Just FYI I had multiple issue getting it to work correctly on my Ubuntu box. 13.10

• Like 1

Evernote is like the roman empire in Asterix and Obelix.

With the army claiming "We have captured the whole of France!"

And ceaser replies: "The WHOLE of France?"

And the army going: "Well... except perhaps for this tiny little village...."

Translated to Evernote:

Evernote: We are a cross-platform solution!

The community: Truly all platforms?

Evernote: Well... Except for this one platform....

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

The web is cross platform.

If you are a Linux user there are a number of alternatives, what there isn't is a native Evernote built client. No indication that this is ever going to change.

Evernote is like the roman empire in Asterix and Obelix.

With the army claiming "We have captured the whole of France!"

And ceaser replies: "The WHOLE of France?"

And the army going: "Well... except perhaps for this tiny little village...."

Translated to Evernote:

Evernote: We are a cross-platform solution!

The community: Truly all platforms?

Evernote: Well... Except for this one platform....

I don't know why you think "cross platform" translates to "all platform". I won't be holding my breath until there's an EN client for a Palm TX.

If you are a Linux user there are a number of alternatives, what there isn't is a native Evernote built client. No indication that this is ever going to change.

We got that, it's been said dozens or times. The point is to possibly influence future direction. If no one complains or requests it the status quo will prevail. As much as the linux "whiners" keep complaining there is no linux boxes, why do people care to answer the same question over and over? Is there some fetish from telling people no or nannny poo poo no client for you?

We got that, it's been said dozens or times. The point is to possibly influence future direction. If no one complains or requests it the status quo will prevail. As much as the linux "whiners" keep complaining there is no linux boxes, why do people care to answer the same question over and over? Is there some fetish from telling people no or nannny poo poo no client for you?

No one says you shouldn't post your support for this.  But those who continue to think "cross platform" translates to "all platform" or those who denigrate EN and/or the devs will most likeley get replies in kind.

(Not sure what a "fetish from telling people no" means though...)

No one says you shouldn't post your support for this.  But those who continue to think "cross platform" translates to "all platform" or those who denigrate EN and/or the devs will most likeley get replies in kind.

(Not sure what a "fetish from telling people no" means though...)

Cross Platform doesn't need to translate into All Platforms, but we aren't talking about something like Palm. Let's be honest, to compare the 2 is obnoxious and condescending. To sit in a topic and keep saying EN isn't going to build a linux client every 2 posts or so is nothing more than some type of chest pumping or competition where you are trying to rub it in the face that people are wrong. 

IMO the more people who ask for the client the better, my hope is that the business development and planning teams start to see value in developing for Linux. The cloud is essentially built on linux and as the ranks of programmers grows linux will be used more on the desktop. Maybe not by mainstream users but by a large number more developers, cloud admins and the like. 

Cross Platform doesn't need to translate into All Platforms, but we aren't talking about something like Palm. Let's be honest, to compare the 2 is obnoxious and condescending. To sit in a topic and keep saying EN isn't going to build a linux client every 2 posts or so is nothing more than some type of chest pumping or competition where you are trying to rub it in the face that people are wrong.

IMO the more people who ask for the client the better, my hope is that the business development and planning teams start to see value in developing for Linux. The cloud is essentially built on linux and as the ranks of programmers grows linux will be used more on the desktop. Maybe not by mainstream users but by a large number more developers, cloud admins and the like.

Deja vu all over again...

• Like 1

As was pointed out earlier in this thread, rather than continuing to berate EN b/c of the lack of an EN client...

I think that the message is that Evernote doesn't appear willing to commit resources towards developing a Linux client, i.e., there is no "their Linux version", and there probably won't be. There are a couple of non-Evernote developed Evernote clients, however (noted several times in this topic) -- that might be a better place to put support efforts.

As was pointed out earlier in this thread, rather than continuing to berate EN b/c of the lack of an EN client...

I think that the message is that Evernote doesn't appear willing to commit resources towards developing a Linux client, i.e., there is no "their Linux version", and there probably won't be. There are a couple of non-Evernote developed Evernote clients, however (noted several times in this topic) -- that might be a better place to put support efforts.

Thanks, I got that information when the thread was started. I didn't need you to re-iterate it, nor did I ask you to. I'll continue to keep voicing my support for a linux client, you can continue to tell me that EN isn't interested and we can continue to cycle. 

Or you could just let people ask for a client and essentially request EN to take notice and possibly change their product direction. I really don't see the value you're adding anyway. 

I'll continue to keep voicing my support for a linux client, you can continue to tell me that EN isn't interested and we can continue to cycle.

No one has said you (or anyone else) should not ask for a linux client. However, linux supporters are the ones who are telling the rest of us to stop posting our thoughts. This is a message board. If you post something, there's a really good chance someone else may have another idea or something of value to offer.

IMO, odd that the "linux community" that is clamoring for an EN client is so against helping/modifying baumgarr's open source linux client. Especially since it's clear that at least in the near or not so near future, that's your best bet, if you don't like the web client or using Wine.

• Like 1

I'll continue to keep voicing my support for a linux client, you can continue to tell me that EN isn't interested and we can continue to cycle.

No one has said you (or anyone else) should not ask for a linux client. However, linux supporters are the ones who are telling the rest of us to stop posting our thoughts. This is a message board. If you post something, there's a really good chance someone else may have another idea or something of value to offer.

IMO, odd that the "linux community" that is clamoring for an EN client is so against helping/modifying baumgarr's open source linux client. Especially since it's clear that at least in the near or not so near future, that's your best bet, if you don't like the web client or using Wine.

When it comes to the actual product your thoughts are not your own, you are just relaying the last communicated thought by EN.

Your personal thoughts are your comment regarding wine and nix note. The answer to your question is most of us are using wine or nixnote and it doesn't fit the bill 100%. Not all Linux Users are programmers and can contribute code, or have the time. Some are even willing to pay for the client and we feel EN is in a better position to interface with their product rather than a 3rd party. 

When it comes to the actual product your thoughts are not your own, you are just relaying the last communicated thought by EN.

Your personal thoughts are your comment regarding wine and nix note. The answer to your question is most of us are using wine or nixnote and it doesn't fit the bill 100%. Not all Linux Users are programmers and can contribute code, or have the time. Some are even willing to pay for the client and we feel EN is in a better position to interface with their product rather than a 3rd party.

I am reiterating facts.  There really is nothing new that's ever added to this thread.  It's pretty much all been said. If one actually reads the thread, it's clear no one is telling linux users to stop posting they want an EN client.  Yet the linux users keep wanting only linux supporters to contribute to the thread. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

To me we should ask for two (potentially deliverable) things:

1. Beefing up the web client. *
  2. Asking Evernote to test with WINE and maybe even support the project actively.

The advantage of 1 over 2 is that it helps a larger proportion of the user base.

* I'd say the GreaseMonkey / Firefox extension approach to augmenting the Evernote Web Note Editor - and I've played with the former - can help but has limitations. Not least because they are Firefox-specific. But at least Evernote has extensions in Safari and Firefox to build on.

• Like 3

I have been using Ubuntu Linux (12.04LTS) for quite some time and recently switched to Samsung Galaxy smart phone. Trying to extricte myself from Windows so I downloaded evernote install onto Ubuntu desktop and installed using "Wine" which is a standard Ubunto/Linux package. It runs just fine and even syncs. No Guarantees but this app seems to work just fine for me under Ubuntu Linux.

• Like 1

Obnoxious post violating forum rules of conduct has been removed.

PS - since your first post is so rude, I'm reluctantly adding...

First, please read my sig. I do not work for EN.

Second, I use the EN web client every single day.

Third. peace & love backatcha babe.

• Like 2

gbarry as an evernote employee, it would be helpful for you or someone on your team to chime in. Maybe even put together a registry of users who would pay for the feature. The whole "deal with it" attitude from moderators is a horrible reflection on evernote. Some of us are customers, not just of premium subscriptions but of Jot note pen and moleskin notebooks etc.... If evernotes stance is truly "deal with it", then that is really sad and horrible customer service. Please let us know if that is the official evernotes stance because I will gladly cease all paid transaction with evernote. 

Cool, so you know it kinna sucks.

Rude? Yeah..I've got history :lol:

B'bye!

PS: How do I delete this account? I can't find the button

I can delete your account. PMing you.

• Level 5*

gbarry as an evernote employee, it would be helpful for you or someone on your team to chime in. Maybe even put together a registry of users who would pay for the feature. The whole "deal with it" attitude from moderators is a horrible reflection on evernote. Some of us are customers, not just of premium subscriptions but of Jot note pen and moleskin notebooks etc.... If evernotes stance is truly "deal with it", then that is really sad and horrible customer service. Please let us know if that is the official evernotes stance because I will gladly cease all paid transaction with evernote.

If you read the entirety of the topic, you'll see that the Evernote team (the CTO, in fact; about as official as you get) *has* chimed in already, more than once. They tend to not like to repeat themselves; if they change their minds, then you can bet that they'll may it public, and probably post about it right here, as they are well aware of the desire for an Evernote Linux client. The "deal with it attitude" comment probably a reflection on the rudeness of the poster being responded to, but let's face it; the Evernote stance should be pretty clear by now, and yet nobody seems to accept what the actual Evernote employees actually have actually said, on more than one occasion. Parse the situation any way you like, but at the end, we're left with a situation that neither you nor I can change -- what else can you do but try to deal with a situation you don't like.
  • Like 1

If you read the entirety of the topic, you'll see that the Evernote team (the CTO, in fact; about as official as you get) *has* chimed in already, more than once. They tend to not like to repeat themselves; if they change their minds, then you can bet that they'll may it public, and probably post about it right here, as they are well aware of the desire for an Evernote Linux client. The "deal with it attitude" comment probably a reflection on the rudeness of the poster being responded to, but let's face it; the Evernote stance should be pretty clear by now, and yet nobody seems to accept what the actual Evernote employees actually have actually said, on more than one occasion. Parse the situation any way you like, but at the end, we're left with a situation that neither you nor I can change -- what else can you do but try to deal with a situation you don't like.

no, if it was only that comment I probably wouldn't have posted. It's the overall tone. If you guys have to answer the question everday, it is what it is. That is customer service, this is an evernote sanctioned forum so I would expect a little more polish than a 4chan forum or reddit thread. I've read through all the threads too. 

And about changing things, that is where your wrong. With enough pressure and support things could change in technology, they always do. I've been around long enough to see major pieces of software and companies disappear and replaced but things many engineers dismissed. 

• Level 5*

no, if it was only that comment I probably wouldn't have posted. It's the overall tone. If you guys have to answer the question everday, it is what it is. That is customer service, this is an evernote sanctioned forum so I would expect a little more polish than a 4chan forum or reddit thread. I've read through all the threads too.

This is a user forum. If you really need customer service (other than the actual postings of actual Evernote employees that you seem keen on ignoring), then you should contact customer support.

And about changing things, that is where your wrong. With enough pressure and support things could change in technology, they always do. I've been around long enough to see major pieces of software and companies disappear and replaced but things many engineers dismissed.

There are many things that don't change despite perceived public outcry -- yelling about unfairness doesn't necessarily guarantee results. Go back and read what Dave Engberg said, and you may get an idea of where they are coming from.

I'm not unsympathetic to the use case, I don't care one way or another, and it's fine to advocate for what you want, but when the official stance has been made pretty clearly, I don't have a lot of sympathy to those who don't get the message.

• Like 3

I don't normally say "deal with it". But it's clear what post (rant, really) I was responding to b/c it's quoted in my post & you are free to re-read it. 

Jeff was correct when he said...

The "deal with it attitude" comment probably a reflection on the rudeness of the poster being responded to, but let's face it; the Evernote stance should be pretty clear by now, and yet nobody seems to accept what the actual Evernote employees actually have actually said, on more than one occasion. Parse the situation any way you like, but at the end, we're left with a situation that neither you nor I can change -- what else can you do but try to deal with a situation you don't like.

And speaking of deja vu all over again, you & I have danced this dance before...

• Like 1

@BurgersNFries

You do not work for Evernote, then no one should trust what you say about Evernote's decisions and plans. You may have heard of them, but I for one consider they are not official. And so unless you want to deliberately annoy people (i.e. who are asking for Linux client version of Evernote), you should STOP telling about Evernote's plans and business decisions.

There are tons of software that only have Windows, Macintosh version or even Linux versions, but why do I not disappoint about them ? Because I get one or more of following reasons:

1. We don't see large market for platform XYZ (hopefully they say this after doing some sort of market research)
  2. We haven't received many requests to support for platform XZY (hopefully they have some way to collect customers/users feedback)
  3. We don't have enough resources/expertise at the moment to work for platform XYZ (hopefully they seriously have considered the matter and see what the requirements are)
  4. Development for platform XYZ needs to wait for other components (i.e. dependency libraries) to reach stable stage. 
  5. There are very strong competitors waiting for us at platform XYZ and we don't think it is wise/profitable to invest into that platform (this sounds like both coward and safe at the same time). 
  6. There are high risks of legal, copyrights problems and  resource/property loss that we don't see it is suitable for us to work for platform XYZ.
  7. (This would never be told) We are earning well with current directions, jumping to another less experienced territory would stretch our resources as well as income.  

However, why do I feel annoyed and disappointed about Evernote? It is because:

1. It is more about what you wrote about Evernote's decisions in this thread that ignited my frustration. You find the de ja vu yourself more than others because your responses are rigid, non-informative and repetitive about "Evernote's fixed business plans and decisions".   
  2. Evernote is not like specialized-purpose software, it is playing more and more integral part in daily life of many people. I use it to take notes and more importantly to sync across multiple devices. If Evernote started out as an none-crossplatform solution, I would not complain but I would not use it as I do today. In turn, Evernote would not be that popular. The problem is that I also use Linux  along with Windows and Mac OS. I will be very happy if I can be free of Windows, but that is not practical. There are still many useful Windows applications that I still use, asking these Windows software to be ported to Linux is not feasible. However I still see Evernote is another story on its own. 

I respect Evernote's plans and decisions. These plans and decisions may be right or wrong. In my opinion, ignoring a significant platform like Linux is not a right decision. Do not equalize Linux as Palm TX  to justify multiplatform vs all-platform argument.

• Level 5*

You do not work for Evernote, then no one should trust what you say about Evernote's decisions and plans. You may have heard of them, but I for one consider they are not official. And so unless you want to deliberately annoy people (i.e. who are asking for Linux client version of Evernote), you should STOP telling about Evernote's plans and business decisions.

If you've noticed, we're just reporting what Evernote have said publicly about their position on a Linux client. That's really all we know, and it appears not to have changed in some time. You can draw your own conclusions. Beyond that, we're allowed to have opinions, just like you.
  • Like 1

If you've noticed, we're just reporting what Evernote have said publicly about their position on a Linux client. That's really all we know, and it appears not to have changed in some time. You can draw your own conclusions. Beyond that, we're allowed to have opinions, just like you.

Yep.

@biocyberman - I'm simply relaying what EN has said publicly. I find it odd that you object to that.

Hi

Lots of outfits like Evernote provide a lot of the code required for this platform 'as is'  it's called Android.  If you look at the Likes of LucidChart  - designed with Tabs in mind, they have ported an environment to Linux using the same kind of APIs as Chrome OS.  I'm not saying that Google provides the answer here, but I'm running Lucid on an UBUNTU desktop quite happily even tho it's a chrome app.  Is there any mileage (Evernote) in exploring this idea?  For another thing, it would give Evernote excellent support to the desktop distros through a common API.  There must be some money even in that :-)  ?

You better quote what EN announced about this matter. Before writing my previous post I could not find any where EN said about its plan about EN on Linux. Mr Google said and is still saying that this thread is the most relevant discussion about EN for Linux. I have searched again and found these  links:

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2012/05/03/evernote-raises-70-million-financing/ (The last paragrap is quite interesting)

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23196486 (Updated 2014-2-6, which falls into reponses type 1 and 3 listed in my first post)

You can say it is my problem of not being able to find the right information. Nonetheless, it is up to EN to decide if they want to wait for a good bussiness oportunity, even create an oportunity, or never know what they miss.

I have spended enought time giving my feedback, and I agree with Cosmoslx post:

"I just want to say, no linux client, no pay! 

This is the only right we can use."

Yep.

@biocyberman - I'm simply relaying what EN has said publicly. I find it odd that you object to that.

(Edited to fixed the second broken link)

• Level 5*

You better quote what EN announced about this matter. Before writing my previous post I could not find any where EN said about its plan about EN on Linux. Mr Google said and is still saying that this thread is the most relevant discussion about EN for Linux. I have searched again and found these links:

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2012/05/03/evernote-raises-70-million-financing/ (The last paragrap is quite interesting)

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23196486 (Updated 2014-2-6, which falls into reponses type 1 and 3 listed in my first post)

You can say it is my problem of not being able to find the right information. Nonetheless, it is up to EN to decide if they want to wait for a good bussiness oportunity, even create an oportunity, or never know what they miss.

I have spended enought time giving my feedback, and I agree with Cosmoslx post:

"I just want to say, no linux client, no pay!

This is the only right we can use."

Yep.

(Edited to fixed the second broken link)
I think the knowledge base link (the second one) is the most recent and authoritative statement by Evernote on the topic, but it basically re-iterates what the chief technology officer stated four years ago.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22658-request-evernote-for-linux/?p=47633

I think BnF is simply trying to connect interested users like yourself with the information that is available in order to explain why a client does not exist, why it probably won't anytime in the near future, and what you can do about it.

However, you are certainly welcome and encouraged to ask for features (including a native Linux client) on these forums!

• Like 1

You better quote what EN announced about this matter.

Evernote is not working on a native Linux client, and we don't have any plans to make a Linux client in the future.However, we'd love to see other people build applications that talk to Evernote. We will happily and actively promote good quality applications that work with our API. E.g.: http://www.evernote.com/about/integration/Randy (baumgarr, above) has been working on a Linux note taking application that works with Evernote for a while, so you could talk to him about testing his application.

One additional factor that Evernote might consider in changing its viewpoint is the fact that Microsoft is terminating its support of Windows XP.

I am a long time user of Evernote, with clients installed on 2 Windows 7 computers and 5 Android devices. I have recently converted several computers to Ubuntu 13.10 and find it to be a very satisfactory replacement for XP on those low end machines. My guess is that there are many savvy XP refugees (XPatriates?) who will be performing the same conversion.

Many of us would like to see a linux EN client.

Hello,

I apologize, in advance, if this post is considered "rude" or "snotty" - I've been told that I can be too blunt for my own good:

I'm experimenting with switching from Windows 8.1 to Ubuntu 13.10 (I'd like to learn how to use Linux and can always revert back to Windows if I need to), from what I understand there are no official plans to develop an Evernote client for Linux - while that's disappointing news, I can still use the Web interface without issue. I also understand that there is an "unofficial" Linux clone of Evernote (written by an Evernote Board Member, if I understood correctly) - with regards to the "unofficial" version, would my Evernote "notebook database" be compatible with it, meaning, could I load the contents of my Evernote "notebook database" into this "unofficial" Linux Evernote clone and have the ability to both read and modify it using the "clone" or, to put it bluntly, is my notebook database stuck within Evernote?

If the "clone" isn't able to work with my existing Evernote database, that's not a big deal, I'll just use the Web Interface when I'm using Linux.

• Level 5*

Hello, I apologize, in advance, if this post is considered "rude" or "snotty" - I've been told that I can be too blunt for my own good: I'm experimenting with switching from Windows 8.1 to Ubuntu 13.10 (I'd like to learn how to use Linux and can always revert back to Windows if I need to), from what I understand there are no official plans to develop an Evernote client for Linux - while that's disappointing news, I can still use the Web interface without issue. I also understand that there is an "unofficial" Linux clone of Evernote (written by an Evernote Board Member, if I understood correctly) - with regards to the "unofficial" version, would my Evernote "notebook database" be compatible with it, meaning, could I load the contents of my Evernote "notebook database" into this "unofficial" Linux Evernote clone and have the ability to both read and modify it using the "clone" or, to put it bluntly, is my notebook database stuck within Evernote? If the "clone" isn't able to work with my existing Evernote database, that's not a big deal, I'll just use the Web Interface when I'm using Linux.

Hi. Evernote stores its data on Evernote's servers. When you log into your account from the Web or from a client on your device, it communicates with the servers (uploading and downloading data to "sync"). The third-party Linux client (built by an Evernote forum member like yourself) communicates with the servers just like the apps that Evernote builds. The only difference is that Evernote isn't working on the Linux app. In fact, every app that uses the Evernote "API" is working the same way, except that some of them have more/different functionality than others.

OOPS!

Apparently, while in the process of setting up the synchronization feature of a program called Nixnote (I couldn't find the Nevernote program), I seem to have inadvertently deleted all of my notes and possibly all of my notebooks.

Well, that's a bummer.... considering I had (key word) a few hundred notes spaced between 30 or so notebooks.

Live and learn, I guess....

• Level 5*

OOPS!

Apparently, while in the process of setting up the synchronization feature of a program called Nixnote (I couldn't find the Nevernote program), I seem to have inadvertently deleted all of my notes and possibly all of my notebooks.

Well, that's a bummer.... considering I had (key word) a few hundred notes spaced between 30 or so notebooks.

Live and learn, I guess....

As long as you have them synced to Evernote, there should be no problem. Of course, if you deleted everything and emptied the trash, then they will be gone. Have you checked the Web at www.evernote.com? If they are not there, then contact support and see if you can have them restore the data (note histories ought to exist).

Hello, I apologize, in advance, if this post is considered "rude" or "snotty" - I've been told that I can be too blunt for my own good: I'm experimenting with switching from Windows 8.1 to Ubuntu 13.10 (I'd like to learn how to use Linux and can always revert back to Windows if I need to), from what I understand there are no official plans to develop an Evernote client for Linux - while that's disappointing news, I can still use the Web interface without issue. I also understand that there is an "unofficial" Linux clone of Evernote (written by an Evernote Board Member, if I understood correctly) - with regards to the "unofficial" version, would my Evernote "notebook database" be compatible with it, meaning, could I load the contents of my Evernote "notebook database" into this "unofficial" Linux Evernote clone and have the ability to both read and modify it using the "clone" or, to put it bluntly, is my notebook database stuck within Evernote? If the "clone" isn't able to work with my existing Evernote database, that's not a big deal, I'll just use the Web Interface when I'm using Linux.

I am not sure why you would want to use the "unofficial clone"  all you need to do is download the Evernote for windows installer (CNET) then install with wine. You will have evernote running on your linux system.  I set it up on Fedora and Ubuntu.  If you need any help feel free to ask. I can post up better directions if needed.

Just to remind EN management that the world's second most popular operatiing system went unsupported yesterday. That's 27% or so of all users looking for somewhere to go and if it were Windows 7 or 8 they might have already gone. Linux (in all its varieties) is going to pick up a proportion of those. Plus while we have been using it on our Kubuntu machines under Wine - its not an ideal consumer experience and, of course, requires a Intel compatible processor which like MS dominated the market but share is beginning to slip.

Just askin' if in the light of the rapidly and unexpectedly (at least for MS) changing user base - that a true supported Linux client makes rather more business sense today than it did a year ago in your prime market of technical movers, shakers and opinion makers.

In my business protecting the base is number 1 priority. EN is great but, frankly, if any future competition comes close with a Linux client - we're off!

I have just gotten Ubuntu 13.04 on my computer. Is there an Evernote for Linux or should I just use Wine?

I'm been a Premium user almost since Evernote started. I accept that the company has a perfect right to develop a desktop client for Linux or not as they choose. Nevertheless I'm very disappointed that they choose not to. For at least 5 years I've resisted a permanent switch to Linux only because I haven't been prepared to abandon Evernote.

Now that EN have changed from "no intentions at this stage" to giving the full finger to Linux users I'm abandoning my Premium account and making the switch to Linux.

It would be interesting to find out how many other potential Linux users are not boosting the open source OS numbers purely because of Evernote.

Evernote, please reconsider. I can't believe that it would be a huge job to produce a Linux client for a team which produced one for UNIX based OS X.

Is the reluctance because Linux users are considered unlikely to pay for Premium services?

Goal: Run Evernote in Linux 

Use Case: I'm learning Linux to prepare for the LPI LPIC-1 test and am also learning Amazon Web Services. I was highly motivated to figure out a solution to run Linux at home, on my laptop, and at work as my primary OS to think and work in Linux all the time. Evernote has been a priceless learning tool for me, but of course there's no native app for Linux. 

I hope the Evernote team develops a Linux version of Evernote. My suggestion would be to implement ads into the Linux application. That's how Google makes money with its services. A lot of developers implement ads into their Android apps to whet your appetite. Then you can choose to buy their paid app version to remove the annoying ads. This is just a suggestion. If Linux people don't like this option, then they don't have to download the paid version of Evernote. 

I recently did some testing. 

1. Nixnote - It's not bad but it's built on java. It's a big bulky sometimes slow application. It does work. Sort of. I was using Nixnote a few days ago, when the sync failed to the Evernote servers. Now my data is stored locally and it will not resync to the Evernote servers. I've tried printing the note to PDF using cups, but for some reason the printer doesn't display. Other users have experienced this issue. I went down a long rabbit hole of troubleshooting this issue, and finally stopped after investing many hours. After this experience, it was hard to trust Nixnote again, but that's the risk you take using a non-official application.

2. Everpad - I didn't test after the Nixnote experience. My time is really limited. 

3. Virtualbox + Windows 7

1. I setup a VM running Windows 7 32bit. I enabled the shared clipboard feature  (using Host to Guest) and seamless windows.
  2. I rebooted the VM, installed Evernote, and took a snapshot of the VM.
  3. I copied and pasted a an image using Shutter and pasted the .jpg into Evernote!

The seamless window feature is awesome; you have the Evernote application in its own application window. It almost feels like the app is running natively :)

I hope this helps someone else.

• Like 1

If only more corporations listened to users. Evernote has a right to do whatever they want that includes getting better mods who are a bit more courteous :). Maxthon made the leap into Linux, Game Dev companies are jumping into Linux, but its your choice either to do it now or later either way you will get enough pressure to make one. A  survey by Humble Indie Bundles revealed that Linux users pay upto 5$ more than Windows and Mac users for products (don't take my word for it, look it up)

• Level 5*

If only more corporations listened to users. Evernote has a right to do whatever they want that includes getting better mods who are a bit more courteous :).

This is a user forum, and moderator positions are always available for people who are willing to volunteer their time to help other Evernote users to use Evernote better. Each and every one of them have demonstrated that ability many, many times. Courtesy is fine, but not a job requirement (most of us are courteous most of the time anyways). Did you have a specific instance in mind?

Maxthon made the leap into Linux, Game Dev companies are jumping into Linux, but its your choice either to do it now or later either way you will get enough pressure to make one. A  survey by Humble Indie Bundles revealed that Linux users pay upto 5$ more than Windows and Mac users for products (don't take my word for it, look it up)

I'll take your word on this; not sure that it makes much difference to the Evernote management. As previously noted, they already know about Linux -- their servers are on Linux.
  • Like 1

Yesterday we converted our last XP desktops to Linux. Not something we wanted to do but Microsoft gave us little choice.

It was frustrating that EN not only not provide a Linux client but tries to stop you trying to run it under Wine. When you go to the EN download it autodetects Linux, refuses and says use the web version. It doesn't offer the Windows version as an alternative. I had to do a bit of hacking to find a link to the Windows version to download and install.

Are you trying to unnecessarily alienate this OS base?

At least offer the Windows alternative so it can be run under Wine. A mod above suggests EN know all about Linux because they run Linux servers. Those of us who also run Linux servers know full well this bears little relation to the desktop. They went their very different ways when KDE, Gnome and the other GUIs came about. That is like saying I know about Windows 8.1 because I ran Server 2003!

The world has moved on. May I kindly resuggest EN that Linux has moved on and maybe they should re-review their view of it.

• Level 5*

A mod above suggests EN know all about Linux because they run Linux servers. Those of us who also run Linux servers know full well this bears little relation to the desktop. They went their very different ways when KDE, Gnome and the other GUIs came about. That is like saying I know about Windows 8.1 because I ran Server 2003!

I'll take your word on this; not sure that it makes much difference to the Evernote management. As previously noted, they already know about Linux -- their servers are on Linux.

Please don't misquote me to further your arguments.

Peace. I deliberately did not quote you because I was working from memory which is why I used the inexact 'suggest'. I apologise that the extra word 'all' crept into my memory. It tends to happen at a certain age. In my mind that makes little difference to the statement being made. I always seek to avoid argument and have no desire to misquote.

I was merely making a point for consideration. After all EN are not going to do anything because they have been out argued. They should do it only because it is in their self interest. However, if that is clouded my any misconception then it would be in their interest to point it out. Having made that point I think it best I retire from the discussion.

Yesterday we converted our last XP desktops to Linux. Not something we wanted to do but Microsoft gave us little choice.

It was frustrating that EN not only not provide a Linux client but tries to stop you trying to run it under Wine. When you go to the EN download it autodetects Linux, refuses and says use the web version. It doesn't offer the Windows version as an alternative. I had to do a bit of hacking to find a link to the Windows version to download and install.

Are you trying to unnecessarily alienate this OS base?

At least offer the Windows alternative so it can be run under Wine. A mod above suggests EN know all about Linux because they run Linux servers. Those of us who also run Linux servers know full well this bears little relation to the desktop. They went their very different ways when KDE, Gnome and the other GUIs came about. That is like saying I know about Windows 8.1 because I ran Server 2003!

The world has moved on. May I kindly resuggest EN that Linux has moved on and maybe they should re-review their view of it.

I know that it does auto detect linux, but you can get the CNET download of EN ( http://download.cnet.com/Evernote/3000-2381_4-10425994.html ) and install in wine.  That is how I did mine and it works without any issues.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Peace. I deliberately did not quote you because I was working from memory which is why I used the inexact 'suggest'. I apologise that the extra word 'all' crept into my memory. It tends to happen at a certain age. In my mind that makes little difference to the statement being made. I always seek to avoid argument and have no desire to misquote.

I may be at "a certain age", too. :) For that, the forum has a helpful quoting function available that can help with just this sort of thing. You can also just cut'n'paste into a pair of double quotes.

As it is, the 'all' does make a difference, particularly in the context of the entire discussion (wherein a lot of ridiculous claims about Evernote's knowledge of/awareness of/relation to Linux are made). My meaning is this: Evernote is certainly aware of Linux (because they use it on their servers), and they've evaluated doing a native client (see CTO Dave Engberg's takes, quoted and linked to multiple times in this topic), and I'm guessing that it continues to come up, as Linux is a viable OS and there's a low-volume but continual call for a native client. I'd even bet that there's Evernote staff who want it. But that's obviously different from knowing how to develop and distribute a native client for desktop Linux (though it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they have in-house expertise in that as well).

I was merely making a point for consideration. After all EN are not going to do anything because they have been out argued. They should do it only because it is in their self interest. However, if that is clouded my any misconception then it would be in their interest to point it out. Having made that point I think it best I retire from the discussion.

For all we know, they have a team in some darkened room working on such a client -- they're notoriously gun-shy about pre-announcing development roadmaps. But as it stands, their prior public statements by Dave E. still stand; if and when they're superseded, then we'll be among the first to know.

As above, I believe that it's unlikely that they don't reconsider it every so often. The world has undoubtedly moved on -- XP is largely dead now. Whether previous XP users will flee to Linux in any great number is another matter. I'd guess that they'd wait until some concrete numbers come out before they make that jump...
  • Like 1

Both Everpad and Nixnote (Nevernote) suck! In addition, Evernote native client sucks under wine. After trying these, I use Evernote's slow web client (website). There is a HUGE community of Linux users, many of them using Evernote (some of them like me, on a daily basis). I really think Evernote should respect all of its users. It's a democratic world, not an authoritrian one where you dictate your users which OS they should use.

We really want it dear Evernote!

Evernote certainly does respect their users. Just because they don't do something you want them to do doesn't mean they are disrespecting you. A company is not a democracy. Those in charge have to make choices & they have chosen to not make a Linux client. And lastly, they are not dictating (or even trying to dictate) what OS you use.

No offense, but I find it funny you spend more time defending Evernote than answering OP's original question. You hate penguins! Admit it! After all, you are not affiliated with Evernote? Right? 

• Level 5*

Both Everpad and Nixnote (Nevernote) suck! In addition, Evernote native client sucks under wine. After trying these, I use Evernote's slow web client (website). There is a HUGE community of Linux users, many of them using Evernote (some of them like me, on a daily basis). I really think Evernote should respect all of its users. It's a democratic world, not an authoritrian one where you dictate your users which OS they should use.

Evernote certainly does respect their users. Just because they don't do something you want them to do doesn't mean they are disrespecting you. A company is not a democracy. Those in charge have to make choices & they have chosen to not make a Linux client. And lastly, they are not dictating (or even trying to dictate) what OS you use.

No offense, but I find it funny you spend more time defending Evernote than answering OP's original question. You hate penguins! Admit it! After all, you are not affiliated with Evernote? Right?
No offense, but I find it funny that the person BnF was responding to (Metallica) did not pose any question at all; they just made the laughable assertions that Evernote doesn't "respect" Linux users, and that the fact they don't make a native Linux client somehow makes the world less democratic and more authoritarian.

Or if you're talking about the OP who actually started the topic, their question has been amply answered.

BTW, the moderators are not Evernote employees. That has nothing to do with how we feel about penguins.

I think Evernote seem overly biased towards Apple.  Why do inferior Apple devices seem to get new features first.

Surely Evernote can make a Linux client very easily since Apple ripped off Linux as the basis of its Mac OS.

TeamViewer seem to manage very easily to accommodate Linux users.  It secretly and seamlessly uses WINE underneath but it works perfectly.

I feel disheartened that every time want to make full use of Evernote I have to boot into an inferior operating system :-(

Come on!  Evernote should be promoting their image to one of Open Source and collaboration.

You seem to think because you think Apple products and Windows OS are inferior that that's a fact. Well guess what? It's not a fact & simply your opinion. Each has their own pros & cons as does Linux. WRT Evernote, you can always use the web client.

Would you settle for the web client? Isnt the fact that this topic has been hashed and re hashed so many times generally point towards there being public interest? I understand that they have said "NO" they are not doing one and we realise that you personally cannot do anything about that however.....

Isn't expressing our interest to them either directly or in the forums the best way to get our views across? Customer feedback? If we just simply say nothing then that confirms that "No linux client" was a good decision. I imagine converting their "FREE" members to "PREMIUM" would be high on their priority list and creating a linux client would be as good way to do that.

I think Evernote seem overly biased towards Apple. Why do inferior Apple devices seem to get new features first.

Surely Evernote can make a Linux client very easily since Apple ripped off Linux as the basis of its Mac OS.

TeamViewer seem to manage very easily to accommodate Linux users. It secretly and seamlessly uses WINE underneath but it works perfectly.

I feel disheartened that every time want to make full use of Evernote I have to boot into an inferior operating system :-(

Come on! Evernote should be promoting their image to one of Open Source and collaboration.

You seem to think because you think Apple products and Windows OS are inferior that that's a fact. Well guess what? It's not a fact & simply your opinion. Each has their own pros & cons as does Linux. WRT Evernote, you can always use the web client.

Would you settle for the web client? Isnt the fact that this topic has been hashed and re hashed so many times generally point towards there being public interest? I understand that they have said "NO" they are not doing one and we realise that you personally cannot do anything about that however.....

Isn't expressing our interest to them either directly or in the forums the best way to get our views across? Customer feedback? If we just simply say nothing then that confirms that "No linux client" was a good decision. I imagine converting their "FREE" members to "PREMIUM" would be high on their priority list and creating a linux client would be as good way to do that.

No one is objecting to anyone expressing their desire for a Linux client. But all the conspiracy theories regularly posed about why EN has made that decision are fair game for debate, even if it is strictly academic.

And to answer your first question, yes, I use the web client every day.

It sounds like Evernote needs to grow up.  Microsoft has discontinued selling Windows 7, and Windows 8 doesn't work.  My family and I need viable computer OS options.  We are moving to Linux.   The proportion of users using Linux can be expected to grow pretty exponentially pretty quickly, if Evernote staff don't stop calling Linux users children, and get with the program.

Evernote is good software.  Surely you don't want it become a Dinosaur when Microsoft does?

It sounds like Evernote needs to grow up.  Microsoft has discontinued selling Windows 7, and Windows 8 doesn't work.  My family and I need viable computer OS options.  We are moving to Linux.   The proportion of users using Linux can be expected to grow pretty exponentially pretty quickly, if Evernote staff don't stop calling Linux users children, and get with the program.

Evernote is good software.  Surely you don't want it become a Dinosaur when Microsoft does?

Ok, please point out where EN has called Linux users children. If you're going to make the claim, you need to be able to support it. As far as EN making a Linux client, it's been repeatedly stated & AFAIK, nothing has changed.

• Level 5*

Aha, I see what you did there. Irony, right?

Exponential growth is hardly what's going on here; if Linux were actually growing exponentially, it would have taken over long ago.

Evernote is not just on Windows, which by the way, at latest count still rules the roost. Note that the thunder lizards were big-time for oh, about 130 million years or so, nothing to sneeze at. So maybe a Linux client on 65 million years would be OK?

I was talking to one of the Evernote people recently and I was told that there was a rumor of a Linux client coming "soon".  That's all they would say.  I was told to keep it quiet.  So I'm sure everybody here will agree to that stipulation.  That's all I heard.

I was talking to one of the Evernote people recently and I was told that there was a rumor of a Linux client coming "soon".  That's all they would say.  I was told to keep it quiet.  So I'm sure everybody here will agree to that stipulation.  That's all I heard.

If it's true, I'm sure they appreciate you keeping it quiet.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

A rumor? That's a "believe it when I see it" moment. Even so, that'd be big, and not unwelcome, for sure. I'll keep it under my hat. :)

• Like 1

Ok so all we need to do is make sure this rumour doesn't make it to the internet! 

Wait...

• Like 2

I hope they decide to make a Linux client, which I will happily continue to pay my Premium account for, but I hope it is before my premium account comes up for renewal as I have decided cancel my auto renewal, because all my computers are moving over to Linux.

I feel sad, but I cannot continue to pay for a product that runs terribly under Wine. Fantastic product I will greatly miss, but I cannot stop a change of Operating System due to the lack of a Linux version. 

I would love to see an Evernote client for Linux developed by Evernote. I do not have the skill or resources to develop my own client or contribute to the other projects, but I am a paying Evernote user and I use Linux. So ultimately if Evernote do not provide a client for Linux or at least drastically improve the performance of the web client then I may just migrate my stuff somewhere else and they won't have my business any more. Simple as that.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

i was wondering where this thread went! glad to see the linux folks out beating the drums. keep it up! i may not agree about the need for a linux client, but i strongly agree about the web client. it is ok, but i try to avoid it whenever possible, and i can't even access it at all on ios, so it really is in need of some tlc.

my solution is using web client with browser.

one embarrass is that web client do not support paste content with html format, like layout, color and so on.

Then I found this extension "markdown here" for firefox.

after installed this extension, just select your text (written with markdown format) in evernote web client,

right click, select "markdown toggle", then your content will be rendered.

I think it's the most elegant solution for ubuntu so far, you can even rendering source codes and other markdown supported rich text.

This extension also supports chrome, but in my Chrome under Ubuntu It doesn't work, only works with Firefox.

• Like 1

I have got the Evernote Windows Client v5.5.3 running happily on PlayOnLinux (aka WINE). After trying all the other options like NixNote, the Web Client, and EverPad this has worked by far the best for me. I have been running with it a couple weeks.

I stepped through the install process here.

I also listed any bugs I have found with the install. There are actually surprising few so far, for example the screen shot note feature works great!

linux-mint-2.png

• Like 2

Be careful. I too got Evernote working superbly under Wine. I thought that the solution.

Then I updated it (or let it update itself). The update failed and nixed the installation. I found (despite much googling) that it is virtually impossible to completelly de-install Everrnote from the Registry (you need information that was destroyed in the nixing). Evernote do not provide a proper de-install program. And you can't re-install because it thinks it already installed. I guess I could labour on to find an Evernote solution. But that is not our business or area of expertise.

Hence we took the decision not to upgrade any other clients (and installed NixNote on the broken system). That means when we fall so far behind that Evernote refuses to sync with us - we must be using another platform. We haven'nt found it yet but unless a Linux client is forthcoming that has to be a top priority.

I am just amazed that Evernote is effectively telling the Linux world to go away as it is too busy supporting Blackberry. Strange worldview. But then I'm a European ;-)

• Like 1

The good thing about running on wine is that it is really easy to start over again: just remove or rename the .wine folder from your home drive, and run the latest Evernote setup again. When you have a very large Evernote database, you just move the datafiles back to the new wine folder and you're up-and-running in minutes.

The good thing about running on wine is that it is really easy to start over again: just remove or rename the .wine folder from your home drive, and run the latest Evernote setup again. When you have a very large Evernote database, you just move the datafiles back to the new wine folder and you're up-and-running in minutes.

But won't that destroy or damage your other applications with registry entries?

Wine is fine for stable legacy applications. But can't be serious for for new fast evolving mission critical unsupported applications. What works today may not work in the next version and if the supplier is not interested in fixing it where does one go?

But won't that destroy or damage your other applications with registry entries?

Ah yes, it will. I was assuming Evernote to be the only wine app (can't think of any other apps that are not released for Linux ;)

AFAIK PlayOnLinux lets you run multiple Wine instances in parallel, so one app is not hit by wine setiings of another.

I find it extremely sad that Evernote did not yet create a version of it's client for Linux.

However, it is a business decision and the only way they are going to change it is if their users start dropping. Less users = less money. To get more money, they will need to get their users back and how will they do that? Create a client for Linux.

Rather than complaining and blaming the company, how about you little crying babies (the ones who've posts seriously sound like little crying teenagers "The world doesn't get me") do something about it. 

Today I installed Linux alongside Windows as I want to use Linux and I am planning to use it more than Windows. This also means that because Evernote is not available on Linux, this will be the last day I will use it (I didn't actually check if I can cancel the account but if I can I will do it). You want a client for Linux? Get rid of your account until they make one. It is a business decision for a reason. If NOT creating a Linux client doesn't affect their business, then why would they do it? OH BUT WAIT. You don't want to get out of your comfort zone to make a change... you'd rather let others take action and then benefit from it. 

Sounds faimiliar? -> What you guys do here is the equivalent of liking a post of facebook and you think you just helped a kid in need in Africa. 

Didn't actually try the apps below but found them using a google search. Springseed seems pretty good. 

http://getspringseed.com/

http://rednotebook.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

Less whining, more doing. 

(I'm not talking about everyone in this thread, please do not feel targeted, unless you should feel that way. It's fine if you are just expressing your desire for a Linux client or express your disappointment. I'm talking about the ones who's posts are blaming Evernote for not "Respecting" their clients or for not considering the Linux users)

Yes I have every sympathy for your point. In the absence of any commitment to a Linux client I am being forced (its hardly an option) to find another product. But I doubt either of us is going to be missed. The reason, I guess, why we don't have a client is that the Linux market is just not big enough. We can all disappear and the bean counters reckon the total revenue take will be impacted less than the R&D cost of a Linux client.

But, and here is the point that EV may have missed, is that Linux folk are a ***** lot. We are not ordinary users. Almost by definition we are power users and many of us have clients or users dependent on our advice and recommendations. I like to think that my recommended products (of which EV was one) have been taken up in their thousands by our clients with revenues that are not insubstantial. And they will mostly be running Windows. Or there execs may be deserting to MacBook Airs.

So when I begin to recommend the replacement product - the revenue loss to EV won't be from Linux users. It will mostly be from windows users. And EV will also be losing the 'buzz' amongst the geeks that brought me and probably many of you to EV in the first place. In the end its a business decision that belongs to EV. Just suggesting that its a decision best kept away from bean counters who may not be able to understand the unintended consequences.

I'm doing an OwnCloud implementation atm. I don't know how good its 'notes' app is. EV had better hope its cr*p or we will be gone too very soon and unlikely to come back.

EDIT: That ***** isn't a naughty or abusive word. It is a perfectly ordinary English word for which 'strange' might be a synonym and 'queen' a misspelling in case you think I may have used a profanity. Weird censorship?

I have been pretty pleased with the Evernote Chrome App on Linux. It uses my Mate theme, can launch from my Dock, etc... As far as usability, it is just as good going to Evernote.com with Chrome. However, Chrome's JS engine seems to be pretty good and retains every function I need. I have not come across anything that doesn't work as good as the Evernote App in Win or OS X.

All the Evernote App in Win and OS X does is uses Trident or Apple's rendition of WebKit. Chrome uses Chromium, Google's rendition of WebKit. I don't see what it does not now offer that the Chrome app does offer. The only difference between using Evernote App in OS X or MS is it retains Window decorations of the OS without convoluted stuff provided by Safari or I.E. 

Perhaps this why they have not released a Linux version. Since the Chrome App already does what a dedicated Linux App would do. As Linux has no native underlying HTML or JavaScript rendering engine with acceptation  of WebKit. But Chromium (Chrome's rendering engine) is far more advanced than a vanilla install of WebKit.

Screenshot_2.png

No offense, but I find it funny that the person BnF was responding to (Metallica) did not pose any question at all; they just made the laughable assertions that Evernote doesn't "respect" Linux users, and that the fact they don't make a native Linux client somehow makes the world less democratic and more authoritarian.

Or if you're talking about the OP who actually started the topic, their question has been amply answered.

BTW, the moderators are not Evernote employees. That has nothing to do with how we feel about penguins.

No offense, but I find it funny a person uses a note taking application doesn't know the meaning of the word affiliated. Affiliated doesn't mean employed. Might want to make a note of that. ;-)

I really don't think this was any of your business anyway. You were either trying to defend a girl by being a night in shining armor. Are a total dill-wad. Or trying to start a flame war with me.

Please explain the relevancy of your post? If you don't like my comment, I don't care. You're not the Internet avenger, and cannot make the Internet to your liking.

I have been pretty pleased with the Evernote Chrome App on Linux. It uses my Mate theme, can launch from my Dock, etc... As far as usability, it is just as good going to Evernote.com with Chrome. However, Chrome's JS engine seems to be pretty good and retains every function I need. I have not come across anything that doesn't work as good as the Evernote App in Win or OS X.

All the Evernote App in Win and OS X does is uses Trident or Apple's rendition of WebKit. Chrome uses Chromium, Google's rendition of WebKit. I don't see what it does not now offer that the Chrome app does offer. The only difference between using Evernote App in OS X or MS is it retains Window decorations of the OS without convoluted stuff provided by Safari or I.E. 

Perhaps this why they have not released a Linux version. Since the Chrome App already does what a dedicated Linux App would do. As Linux has no native underlying HTML or JavaScript rendering engine with acceptation  of WebKit. But Chromium (Chrome's rendering engine) is far more advanced than a vanilla install of WebKit.

What exactly do you mean with "the Evernote App"? The web app or the just released native ChromeOS app (ported from Android)?

No offense, but I find it funny a person uses a note taking application doesn't know the meaning of the word affiliated. Affiliated doesn't mean employed. Might want to make a note of that. ;-)

I really don't think this was any of your business anyway. You were either trying to defend a girl by being a night in shining armor. Are a total dill-wad. Or trying to start a flame war with me.

Please explain the relevancy of your post? If you don't like my comment, I don't care. You're not the Internet avenger, and cannot make the Internet to your liking.

No offense, but I find it sad that someone doesn't know how to use a dictionary and/or fully comprehend the meaning of a word.  "Affiliated" is a useful word b/c one does not need to be EMPLOYED by a company in order to get some sort of benefit by promoting a company. I would suggest you make a note of that. It may come in handy someday.

https://www.godaddy.com/affiliates/affiliate-program.aspx

As to your other comments, it appears you are the one wanting a flame war.  Please abide by the forum code of conduct & refrain from name calling/flaming.  Thank you.

https://discussion.evernote.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

No offense, but I find it sad that someone doesn't know how to use a dictionary and/or fully comprehend the meaning of a word.  "Affiliated" is a useful word b/c one does not need to be EMPLOYED by a company in order to get some sort of benefit by promoting a company. I would suggest you make a note of that. It may come in handy someday.

https://www.godaddy.com/affiliates/affiliate-program.aspx

As to your other comments, it appears you are the one wanting a flame war.  Please abide by the forum code of conduct & refrain from name calling/flaming.  Thank you.

https://discussion.evernote.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Affiliated DOES NOT mean employed.

It's nice to know I'm getting personally attacked by moderators. This is a direct reflection of Evernote in my opinion. Being a moderator of the forums, you are unprofessional that my company will be canceling their subscription to Evernote. You have lost the company about $150 per month.

I will not do business with a company that is AFFILIATED (being on a mod the forums you are DIRECTLY OFFICIALLY CONNECTED). You are just dumb enough to be officially a MODERATOR w/o being compensated.

Further more, your comments and the guy's are just as out of bounds. What was the saying, practice what we preach. You might was well ban me from the these forums. As I don't think I'll be using Evernote anymore. Neither will anybody in the I.T. Department where I work. We will most likely be switching to a solution that offers more professional service in public forums.

BTW - That's GoDaddy, a web hosting company, not a dictionary; here's a little help:

officially attach or connect (a subsidiary group or a person) to an organization.
"the college is affiliated with the University of Wisconsin"
synonyms: associate with, unite with, combine with, join (up) with, link up with, team up with, ally with, align with, band together with, federate with,amalgamate with, merge with;

What exactly do you mean with "the Evernote App"? The web app or the just released native ChromeOS app (ported from Android)?

I mean a Chrome App. Google Chrome has "Apps" that run off Chromium. They are developed in NodeJS and use Chrome's NodeJS Engine. There are VNC clients, RDP clients, etc....

Very similar in concept to ChromeOS. Practically the same as Chrome OS uses Chromium as a NodeJS engine as well. Its trivial to port a CromeOS App to run off Chromium in any operating system. If in doubt look at the screenshot. Every App for Evernote just uses HTTP and HTML with the operating systems native rendering engine. They just use a library in Xcode or Visual Studio.

Just download Chrome and go to the Chrome App Store. Search for Evernote... Then it will appear in Chrome's Apps. You right click and add a shortcut to your dock etc..

• Level 5*

Affiliated DOES NOT mean employed.

Sure. I'll cop to making that assumption. Of course, if you want to push it, the extent of a moderator's affiliation here is described in the forum rules of conduct here: https://discussion.evernote.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules. The relevant quote is:

Reporting and Moderation

Our most active members (with 300+ comments in the community) will be allowed to help organize and tend the community’s grounds. When members reach this level they gain the ability to hide spam content as well as the ability to move content around in the forums. The “remove spam” ability should only be used to remove spam content, and the “move” ability should only be used to move content to its correct forum or sub forum. There is no requirement or expectation that these members perform these functions, however, their status allows them to do so if they wish.

Any member, no matter the level, can use the reporting tool to notify an Evernote employee to review particular content in the forums.

So being a moderator here is really only a status based solely on post count, and which allows you to do some housekeeping around the place; in all other respects, we're users, just like you. That's the extent of my official affiliation with Evernote; pretty tenuous if you think about it. But sure, it's an affiliation of sorts, and if you post enough, you'll have that same affiliation, whether you want it or not.

It's nice to know I'm getting personally attacked by moderators. This is a direct reflection of Evernote in my opinion. Being a moderator of the forums, you are unprofessional that my company will be canceling their subscription to Evernote. You have lost the company about $150 per month.

I will not do business with a company that is AFFILIATED (being on a mod the forums you are DIRECTLY OFFICIALLY CONNECTED). You are just dumb enough to be officially a MODERATOR w/o being compensated.

You're not being attacked by me. And my reasons for being a moderator here are my own business, your opinions notwithstanding.

Further more, your comments and the guy's are just as out of bounds.

I disagree, but you, as a forum user here, are free to do what any other forum users can and should do if they believe a post here is contrary to forum rules, and report it, where it will be vetted by Evernote staff.

For the record, I appreciate your comments about the Chrome app...

So since there is so much movement here. I'll just start a kick starter and get a couple quotes for modeling the Evernote API into a native desktop app for DEB distro. Who is with me!? T-Shirts if you pledge $50 or more!

• Like 1

@QuackGoesThePenguin can I please ask you take your moderator issue to PM or a new thread?

You are disrupting an important discussion on persuading Evernote to commission a Linux Client. That is the important bit. Whether the moderator is a white knight or Evernote stooge doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters to me (and I suspect other contributors here) is that Evernote reconsiders its decision. And does it for its own benefit as well as ours. We are all frustrated but letting that frustration rip isn't going to help.

Peace please.

• Like 1