Evernote Problem: Premium user unable to find notes offline

Hi everyone

Can anyone help me solve my problem of frequent inability to serach notes while offline with my ipad Pro 9.7 inch

Its an erratic behavior that irks me. I have all my notebooks duly marked for offline storage. So logically searching within those notes should be a local device based affair. But unfortunately despite being a paying customer for Premium with a promise for offline access to notes, EN often disappoints

As an additional support to my question, I am attaching screenshots showing the errors and my setting for notebooks. 

Any, all help will be highly appreciated

IMG_0410.PNG

IMG_0426.PNG

IMG_0428.PNG

I have the same problem with my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air.

I am a Premium user as well and both my iOS and Evernote apps are up to date.

I have tried turning off offline notebooks and restarting and turning back on and I have tried manually setting all notebooks to offline, rather than the "all" selection.

I deleted Evernote from my iPhone, cold restarted and reinstalled but this made no difference.

I frequently need my notes offline and this latest release seems to have killed that. It is incredibly frustrating and what should be a basic, reliable feature has now become a constant disappointment.

BTW, please do not tell me to do another freaking "remove and reinstall". I've done it. It didn't work.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Downloading the offline notes is not exactly a quick process - have you given the device a nice long period on Wifi to get itself up to date?  In Android (my experience) this can take some hours...

Obviously you also need to have the space available in internal storage,  otherwise the download can't even happen.

12 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Downloading the offline notes is not exactly a quick process - have you given the device a nice long period on Wifi to get itself up to date?  In Android (my experience) this can take some hours...

Obviously you also need to have the space available in internal storage,  otherwise the download can't even happen.

Thanks for the reply.

On my PC it shows Evernote as taking up roughly 3.5GB of data.

My iPad has 12GB free and Settings shows approx 125MB of documents. iPhone has 31GB free and approx same size docs.

Thinking along the same lines as your suggestion I left my iPad on for 8 hours with Evernote activated and the shut down settings at never so it had full focus. There was no change. My internet is at Australian woeful level however I should have seen something happen.

Aside from that I should see the downloads happen as part of simply using the app and my iPad and iPhone  *like it used to*. This situation has been persisting for weeks.

I must be able to rely on Evernote for functionality and offline access but since the later 7 and current 8 releases it has been a disappointing let down.

13 hours ago, Ardeet said:

I have tried turning off offline notebooks and restarting and turning back on and I have tried manually setting all notebooks to offline, rather than the "all" selection.

I deleted Evernote from my iPhone, cold restarted and reinstalled but this made no difference.

I frequently need my notes offline and this latest release seems to have killed that. It is incredibly frustrating and what should be a basic, reliable feature has now become a constant disappointment.

BTW, please do not tell me to do another freaking "remove and reinstall". I've done it. It didn't work.

I have also reinstalled a few times on EN support suggestion... but unreliability has become just so expected with Evernote now.

9 minutes ago, Ardeet said:

Thanks for the reply.

On my PC it shows Evernote as taking up roughly 3.5GB of data.

My iPad has 12GB free and Settings shows approx 125MB of documents. iPhone has 31GB free and approx same size docs.

Thinking along the same lines as your suggestion I left my iPad on for 8 hours with Evernote activated and the shut down settings at never so it had full focus. There was no change. My internet is at Australian woeful level however I should have seen something happen.

Aside from that I should see the downloads happen as part of simply using the app and my iPad and iPhone  *like it used to*. This situation has been persisting for weeks.

I must be able to rely on Evernote for functionality and offline access but since the later 7 and current 8 releases it has been a disappointing let down.

Same here.  I have left iPad connected on power supply and let it remain ON continuously, by disabling auto sleep.. throughout the night.. did that a few times.. and yet all notes don't get downloaded into local drive..

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  All I can suggest is that anyone with this issue raise it with support - via twitter and @EvernoteHelps if necessary - the more reports,  the more likely this is to get fixed...

Meantime,  I'd suggest adding a new note in the offline notebook using the mobile,  and then manually syncing.  Maybe it will get the hint then...

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Ardeet said:

I stopped using full on off line notebooks some time ago due to some unexplained snafu where iCloud backups were including the EN data on my phone.  I didn't see the need to buy 10GB of storage from Apple.  Never did find out why me or what the cause was.

Workaround for me has been to create a notebook where I put notes I might need when wifi is unavailable, I don't want to download through cellular, or I am totally without a connection.  Requires some foresight which can be a PITA.  

IAC, if you go notebooks on v8.1 you will see a little green line when the notebooks are syncing.  If you see a note count the notes should be on the phone.  Other threads have reported extreme offline sync times with the new IOS.

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  All I can suggest is that anyone with this issue raise it with support - via twitter and @EvernoteHelps if necessary - the more reports,  the more likely this is to get fixed...

Meantime,  I'd suggest adding a new note in the offline notebook using the mobile,  and then manually syncing.  Maybe it will get the hint then...

I'll raise it to support and see how I go.

i don't have just one notebook set to offline, I have all of them.

If I get a satisfactory answer I'll put it in this discussion.

Thanks for your suggestions.

43 minutes ago, csihilling said:

I stopped using full on off line notebooks some time ago due to some unexplained snafu where iCloud backups were including the EN data on my phone.  I didn't see the need to buy 10GB of storage from Apple.  Never did find out why me or what the cause was.

Workaround for me has been to create a notebook where I put notes I might need when wifi is unavailable, I don't want to download through cellular, or I am totally without a connection.  Requires some foresight which can be a PITA.  

IAC, if you go notebooks on v8.1 you will see a little green line when the notebooks are syncing.  If you see a note count the notes should be on the phone.  Other threads have reported extreme offline sync times with the new IOS.

I notice on my iPhone that the most recent notebooks only on the drop down list show a little green line but none of the other one in the list below show anything. Maybe this means that something is happening on the iPhone side with a couple of notebooks.

Im happy enough to have my Evernote backed up if it means I have offline access to all my notes. Evernote is my primary reference and note system where tags and different notebooks form part of the structure so the all in one notebook workaround won't work (thanks for the suggestion though).

Its a bit ranty but by version 8 I shouldn't have that sinking feeling that comes from realising that I'm out of a service area can't access the notes I need. Evernote has gone from a solidly reliable app in my toolbox to a miscreant that must be mollycoddled into behaving well.

As @gazumped observed the Evernote team reads these forums so they surely must pick up how faithful their users are to the software and company (with generally excellent reasons) however they must also detect the tremors of discontent that forewarn of a catastrophe.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Ardeet said:

Its a bit ranty but by version 8 I shouldn't have that sinking feeling that comes from realising that I'm out of a service area can't access the notes I need. Evernote has gone from a solidly reliable app in my toolbox to a miscreant that must be mollycoddled into behaving well.

Not ranty at all, you don't expect a new release to make you less productive, particularly when it is touted as intended to make you more productive.

Yeah, I get wanting to be sure to have all your note content available.  Before the iCloud/EN snafu I kept 25k notes on my phone.  But for my use case, I realized I was so seldom without wifi or cellular coverage that I might not need all of my data all the time.  So now if I am going to be off site somewhere I put any notes I might need in my Quick notebook and sync before I leave, just in case.  Side benefit is I can find the notes more quickly during the meeting as well.  Back on site and move the notes back.  Not a perfect solution by any stretch, but has been working for me.  YMMV.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Ardeet said:

Its a bit ranty but by version 8 I shouldn't have that sinking feeling that comes from realising that I'm out of a service area can't access the notes I need.

My experience is that IOS v8 has issues with the offline feature. My expectation is they will get this fixed

I opened a support ticket because offline searches fail

I use this feature because I like having an offline backup.  No specific needs, but I make sure my required notes are available before I go offline.

5 hours ago, csihilling said:

Am glad that you are happy to compromise and find work around without complaints. You are a saint. 

in my case there are no bars on notebooks to indicate that the sync is ongoing or incomplete. There are no notes which show the green arrows either. 

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

My experience is that IOS v8 has issues with the offline feature. My expectation is they will get this fixed

I opened a support ticket because offline searches fail

I use this feature because I like having an offline backup.  No specific needs, but I make sure my required notes are available before I go offline.

So have you seen any response from Evernote support. I did not see any hint of any effort from Evernote for my support ticket. 

On 02/03/2017 at 4:38 AM, Ardeet said:

Oh please don't follow the advice of delete and reinstall at least for this issue. It will make it worse. In my case after reinstalling as advised by support, the size of notes database on iPad is is less than 2 percent of what I see on my mac which means you cannot be thinking of Evernote be an offline notes repository. 

The issue gets more irritating when it's erratic behavior. There is no way of knowing which notes are not local and which are. And there is no certain peattern that older notes will notes will not be offline or vice versa. It just kind of breakdown that Evernote perhaps has given up on. 

Afterall why are they charging us for a broken software. The should suspend payments till they fix it. The main promise of going premium for me was offline feature.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mdd said:

Am glad that you are happy to compromise and find work around without complaints. You are a saint. 

Far from a saint, just a pragmatist.  As long as the pain does not exceed the gain....

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Mdd said:

in my case there are no bars on notebooks to indicate that the sync is ongoing or incomplete. There are no notes which show the green arrows either. 

Here is what I see on my iPad.  I have five synced notebooks in a stack, INBOX and Quick are the only two offline notebooks.  Before and after.

IMG_0314.thumb.PNG.1fdd830f401a75cd8544731401d4a2bd.PNG         IMG_0315.thumb.PNG.63d34b1043e441f1382882c98613bed0.PNG

23 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Here is what I see on my iPad.  I have five synced notebooks in a stack, INBOX and Quick are the only two offline notebooks.  Before and after.

IMG_0314.thumb.PNG.1fdd830f401a75cd8544731401d4a2bd.PNG         IMG_0315.thumb.PNG.63d34b1043e441f1382882c98613bed0.PNG

Here are my screen shots showing no traces of any pending sync bars etc. The total number of notes also shows a count of over 4000 notes  

Yet iPad  local storage memory shows only 104 mb as against 5.5 GB being the total size of my exported folders which are on my mac. 

Funny thing is that the previews of the notes exist and visible even offline. But the note does not show up when you need it. IMG_0449.thumb.JPG.209880337f6bc38d7f7978af62ad3274.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.PNG

• Level 5*
On 2017-03-02 at 3:47 PM, Mdd said:

So have you seen any response from Evernote support. I did not see any hint of any effort from Evernote for my support ticket. 

This was the response for Ticket# 2029137 - Search Fails with no internet connection

While this isn't something I can fix for you directly, I was able to replicate the issue you described and have reported the information you provided to our Product Team.

At this time, I’m going to close your ticket.

However, we anticipate that we will fix this issue in our next updates. If you like, I can tag your account for follow-up and notify you when the issue has been fixed and scheduled for release.

• Level 5*
On 3/3/2017 at 10:31 AM, Mdd said:

Here are my screen shots showing no traces of any pending sync bars etc. The total number of notes also shows a count of over 4000 notes  

Yet iPad  local storage memory shows only 104 mb as against 5.5 GB being the total size of my exported folders which are on my mac. 

Funny thing is that the previews of the notes exist and visible even offline. But the note does not show up when you need it.

I think all of the note counts being visible would imply that the content has been downloaded.  I would not trust the iPad storage number.  When I was downloading offline notebooks I had a MB number on the iPad and a GB data base.  Might want to go to Twitter re why you can't access offline content.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 16/3/2017 at 8:17 PM, annah said:

Hey y'all, just wanted to drop in to confirm that this is a known issue on our end, and we're working on getting it resolved ASAP. 

Hi, any news about to fix this issue? You've said this two month ago.

• Ex Employees

The original issue regarding searching in offline notebooks should have been fixed in our 8.2 update. If anyone is still experiencing that issue, please submit a support ticket (let me know if you have any trouble doing this).

If the issue is related to slow downloading of offline notebooks, that should be fixed in our next release which is currently in beta (8.2.2).

@enki, if you're running into the searching issue, feel free to pick back up on the email thread we recently communicated on. If it's the slow downloading issue, we're looking to get 8.2.2 out soon. 

If anyone else is experiencing the searching issue on 8.2.1 and you've verified that the notebooks are fully downloaded to your device, please submit a support ticket from the link in my signature (let me know if you have issues doing this). Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I still have this problem on iOS, using Evernote 8.3, and all my notes are downloaded and available offline.

Isn't this supposed tonne fixed ?

@annah I cannot see your signature (maybe because I'm browsing on mobile?). Can you give me the link to open a ticket ?

Thanks

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, AntoineG said:

I still have this problem on iOS, using Evernote 8.3, and all my notes are downloaded and available offline.

I’m rarely offline but I just tested this and got3ADA188B-3AA7-4705-8EEE-F82D104F37B9.jpeg.d3b5763f42b3d34d769ad62f3b56e068.jpeg

You might have to redo the Offline download

Link for support is Contact Evernote Support

20 hours ago, annah said:

@AntoineG This issue should be fixed, yes. Let me know if this link works: Submit a Support Request

Hi there,

Evernote keeps mentioning that issues have been fixed, but i don't see it happening.  Just today itself I wanted to refer to an old note using my iPad pro 9.7. The note title will show but content will not.  Same thing on iPhone. Same issue on web access on Mac.  It is frustrating one thing.. but I have trusted Evernote with my data with the hope of retrieving it as and when I need it.

Previously I had mentioned in earlier posts that forever Evernote has had problems of offline note access.. now that infection has spread to even with online connection.   Please refer to my attached screenshots.

Evernote now costs even more than iCloud storage now and yet it fails you when you need the note.

What good is 10 GB per month quota if I can't retrieve the page I need.  Evernote is making me nervous for keeping important information.. but if not that.. what else it is good for ?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

• Level 5*

1 hour ago, Mdd said:

Just today itself I wanted to refer to an old note using my iPad pro 9.7. The note title will show but content will not.  Same thing on iPhone. Same issue on web access on Mac.

I responded in your other post.  Why are you submitting duplicate posts?

Wish you good luck.. the real success will be if all notes are accessible after they have been re-downloaded at your cost and effort.

Its only with time you will know whether the whole process was worth the effort or every once in a while, you will still have notes that don't show up when you need them the most.

Archived