Saving Date Info for Articles

Linaloo

Idea

From what I can tell - evernote does not save the time stamp for when articles were posted to the web. For example, say I'm saving a New York Times article, it won't capture the fact that the article was originally posted to the New York Times website on February 10, 2017. 

I can't imagine I'm alone in needing those time stamps for documenting sources in my research (for bibliographies, etc), and I often end up reopening the saved webpage to retrack when it was posted, defeating the clipping in some ways.

Am I clipping articles wrong? Is there a way to save the date? If not - is this an issue that could be addressed in later updates?

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Linaloo said:

Am I clipping articles wrong? Is there a way to save the date?

No, there are no dates saved on web clippings.
I see two issues

1. How to identify the date for a web clipping?
  2. Where to store the date in Evernote?
    - I've been playing around with the Subject Date field
    - some users adjust the Create Date field
    - some users insert the date into the Note Title
  • Level 5*

While waiting for EN to possibly incorporate this suggestion, I would enter the date in the Remarks field in the Web Clipper. That will enter the date at the very top of the note with a 'rule' line underneath it.

• Level 5*

Moved to web clipper Product Feedback subforum, since it's a web clipper issue.

Subject Date vs Create Date is the question. Remarks wouldn't be that useful: if it's in the note, then you can't really sort by it.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, jefito said:

Subject Date vs Create Date is the question. Remarks wouldn't be that useful: if it's in the note, then you can't really sort by it.

I've never noticed the Subject field until you mentioned it. How does it get populated? How can users edit it?

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, tavor said:

I've never noticed the Subject field until you mentioned it. How does it get populated? How can users edit it?

Evernote doesn't make it easy.

In Evernote/Windows list view, you can add Subject Date as a column

In Evernote/Mac, you can edit Subject Date using Applescript

• Level 5*

I think it gets populated for emails that are sent to EN.  It will be about the same date as the created date (+/- a minute).  Cannot be edited on Windows, native to EN anyway.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, Linaloo said:

and author information should be clipped with the rest of the article.

Evernote actually has an "Author" field, authough they don't make it easy to update.
But same issue for the date, how to identify the author in a clipping

I'm thinking we would need integration with the New York Times, and they would supply that data

Archived