Evernote TAG Treeview

adamitj@gmail.com

Idea

I wish that Evernote organizes the tag Tree View recursively. I set a lot of related Tags to my notes and that would be awesome to navigate through in a recursive treeview.

Example: Two notes with 3 tags each one:

i) Feature, Text, Evernote
ii) Feature, Picture, Evernote
Should be seen as below (if all nodes are expanded):

- Evernote
   - Feature
      - Text
      - Picture
   - Picture
      - Feature
   - Text
      - Feature

- Feature
   - Evernote
      - Text
      - Picture
   - Picture
      - Evernote
   - Text
      - Evernote

- Picture
   - Evernote
      - Feature
   - Feature
      - Evernote

- Text
   - Evernote
      - Feature
   - Feature
      - Evernote

PS: To reduce CPU usage all lower level leafs should appear only when the upper lead is expanded.

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, adamitj@gmail.com said:

I wish that Evernote organizes the tag Tree View recursively.

Evernote doesn't organize anything; you do the organization into whatever tree structure you want. It's not clear to me what advantage the tag listing you're suggesting would offer. If you have a lot of tags (hundreds, not just 4), I would think that that would lead to a very confusing display, but maybe I'm not understanding your idea correctly.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, adamitj@gmail.com said:

I wish that Evernote organizes the tag Tree View recursively. I set a lot of related Tags to my notes and that would be awesome to navigate through in a recursive treeview.

The latest iOS version has an interesting tag picker for Search purposes.
It's similar to your example, but you only get one branch at a time

• When you select tag Evernote,
    the tag list is reduced to Feature, Picture, Text
  • Selecting Feature 
    the tag list is reduced to Picture, Text
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The latest iOS version has an interesting tag picker for Search purposes.

The Windows client has that as well (and it's cool), but I don't think that that's what's being asked for.

3 minutos atrás, jefito disse:

Evernote doesn't organize anything; you do the organization into whatever tree structure you want. It's not clear to me what advantage the tag listing you're suggesting would offer. If you have a lot of tags (hundreds, not just 4), I would think that that would lead to a very confusing display, but maybe I'm not understanding your idea correctly.

I know that Evernote doesn't organize because it stores the information. My suggestion is not an organization feature, but a very powerful way to search for related subjects stored linked by common tags. The search bar do a very good job, but what if you want to see related tags to find all notes that are linked to a group of tags?

The display would not be confused if the leaf tags are loaded only when the root tag is clicked/selected, giving options to find a path.

Indeed it's difficult to understand, but when you have hundreds and hundreds of notes and don't know exactly something you're searching for, the "tree view tag path" would be a perfect solution to find the notes.

Imagine this hypothetical scenario:

I work with databases as DBA and have hundreds of notes with scripts/commands information. Once I forgot the syntax for a specific command, but I knew it was stored with tags "db2" and "restore". I searched for these two words, and hundreds of notes appeared. I didn't remembered yet the specific word I was searching, but I knew it was somewhere in Evernote.

Since I have a lot of tags, if I click on "db2" tag, more than 200 notes shows up. Then, clicked on "restore", more than 400 notes appeared (because "restore" is a common tag for a lot of database vendors which I work).

If this feature I'm proposing existed, I would have:

1) clicked tag "db2" and the "restore" would be visible below "db2";
2) then clicked the "restore" leaf tag;
3) I should see familiar tags below "restore" leaf like "redirect" (this tag I had on that note and when I saw it memories started to flash);
4) and then, finally, "incremental" below "redirect", the specific tag I was looking for.

Without this feature I had to search "db2 redirect" on search bar and more than 150 notes appeared with these 2 words, and them I had to search one by one until find the desired note.

The propposed way: db2 --> restore --> redirect --> incremental

Did I explained it clear enough? Please let me know.

• Level 5*

I would think that tags for Evernote, Picture, Text, and Feature would solve your problem.  Add them as appropriate to notes and then do AND searches on whatever combos of tags to see.the notes you want.  Don't see how there's any difference between Evernote - Feature - Text and Text - Evernote - Feature.

3 hours ago, adamitj@gmail.com said:

How to enabled it?

Shift-Alt-T to enable tag picker in a search.

12 horas atrás, csihilling disse:

I would think that tags for Evernote, Picture, Text, and Feature would solve your problem.  Add them as appropriate to notes and then do AND searches on whatever combos of tags to see.the notes you want.  Don't see how there's any difference between Evernote - Feature - Text and Text - Evernote - Feature.

Shift-Alt-T to enable tag picker in a search.

Yes! I wasn't aware of the Tag Picker feature and it works exactly as I suggested, but in a different location.

Is that what I want on the left side Tag Tree!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, adamitj@gmail.com said:

Is that what I want on the left side Tag Tree!

If I recall correctly, there was a time when the left panel tag tree did respond to tag selections in this way, but it was too confusing to users, and so they removed it.

Archived