Evernote iOS v.8.1 mixing up note bodies with other notes

I have terrible problems with Evernote 8.1 for iOS on on iOS 10.2.1 - it is randomly mixing up content between notes. Sometimes after note is edited, its contents gets replaced by randomly selected older notes. Edited content of original note is lost !!!

The note listing still displays original content, but after opening of the note - content from different not is displayed and saved (synced to cloud).

It happened to me already more times on few occasions.
I deleted the app and reinstalled twice - nothing helped.

I'm using Evernote since 2012 - since then I had Premium account  (now Plus for few months), ...Evcernote is great ....  but the latest iOS Client is terrible.

mixed-up-content-01.png

mixed-up-content-02.png

mixed-up-content-06.png

mixed-up-content-05.png

• Level 5*

@cifip - wanted to bring this to your attention. Mine has been better - in fact haven't noticed any others like this in the past few weeks, but here is another user with the note body and subject pulling from different notes. Wanted to get you as many data points as possible.

• Level 5*

@robert7 - try an export as many of these to enex files on your iOS device as this happens. I am hoping support will want them for further investigation. Then to fix them, since you are a premium member, note history is your friend, which you can do on the Windows and Mac platforms. I thought you could do it on the web too, but darned if I can find that option now.

14 hours ago, EdH said:

@robert7 -... note history is your friend, which you can do on the Windows and Mac platforms. I thought you could do it on the web too, but darned if I can find that option now.

I only have a "Plus" subscription now (before I was few years on "Premium"). With "Plus" the note history doesn't work and to update subscription just before buggy iOS app randomly overwrites my notes feels a bit weird.

It happened to me again today. I wonder if I'm alone with this problem or whats wrong, but the iOS app is currently useless. What sense has to edit notes, if they then get randomly overwritten,

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, robert7 said:

I only have a "Plus" subscription now (before I was few years on "Premium"). With "Plus" the note history doesn't work and to update subscription just before buggy iOS app randomly overwrites my notes feels a bit weird.

It happened to me again today. I wonder if I'm alone with this problem or whats wrong, but the iOS app is currently useless. What sense has to edit notes, if they then get randomly overwritten,

Contact support - see links in my sig. Often if there is a bug that a restore of note history will fix, they will upgrade you free for a month so you lose nothing. Note history is always working, it is just not exposed in the UI for plus and basic users.

On 2/18/2017 at 11:41 PM, EdH said:

Contact support - see links in my sig. Often if there is a bug that a restore of note history will fix, they will upgrade you free for a month so you lose nothing. Note history is always working, it is just not exposed in the UI for plus and basic users.

I created a support Ticket# 2021361 a week ago, but until now "no reply".

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, robert7 said:

I created a support Ticket# 2021361 a week ago, but until now "no reply".

When you created a ticket, you would have gotten an email.
This tells you the issue has been noted and is being followed up on

There is active development in this new version.  I'm confident such errors will be fixed shortly with a new release

You may want to post such issues in the release discussion at

I experienced the same problem. 

Due to the volume of notes, I have Sync on Wifi Only.

The problem i experienced was whilst out on a cellular connection. The note concerned has since fixed itself, after multiple sync on wifi have occurred.

Hi Ellen,

I've sent you the required info.
I'm not anymore able to repeat the problem.
It could be, that the problem only appears during the "initial sync" after the app has been reinstalled (because as far I know, this is the only thing I'm now doing different (+taking backup of all notes before edit on iOS).
Robert

• 1 month later...

This just happened to me this week. A recipe note that was a PDF file attachment was replaced with the contents of some random other note and the PDF is gone now

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. Old typed notes and new hand written notes mixing together! Nightmare! 

I have thousands of notes and depend on Evernote as a premium customer!

How does this get fixed? I'm not seeing anyone in this thread get help by placing a ticket  

I did get any "real help".
They replied to my "support ticket" after 1 week, that they have matched my problem with one already reported bug, and that it will be fixed (they didn't said when). That was basically all.

Currently the problem doesn't appear to my. I have suspicion, that it only appears on iOS client during iOS client doing initial sync. After all notes have been synced, it doesn't happen.

On 4/22/2017 at 3:43 AM, bryancostanza said:

This happened to me too. I tried to contact support during the day earlier this week but chat was offline. I'm using Basic so is there a way to get a few days of an upgrade so I can recover from my note history?

I created a support ticket and afterwards got "1 month premium" free of charge.
I'm normally on "Plus" subscription.

• Ex Employees

Hi folks, wanted to drop in to let everyone know that we believe this issue will be fixed in the next release (currently in beta). Until then, if anyone needs further assistance with this, feel free to submit a support ticket or reply here. Thanks!

On 4/13/2017 at 2:49 AM, robert7 said:

Currently the problem doesn't appear to my. I have suspicion, that it only appears on iOS client during iOS client doing initial sync. After all notes have been synced, it doesn't happen.

I'm an ios beta tester. I've experienced random isolated occurrences of this happening too. I didn't submit it because it was so infrequent...I discovered it long after the fact, and I couldn't provide any solid evidence of the scenario it occurred under. Plus that when I found a messed up note I usually just automatically fixed it thinking I'd messed it up myself.

I have a lot of ios devices and sometimes end up editing the same note on several of them around the same time because I'm in a hurry, and I get interrupted in the middle of creating a note. Then I just grab what ever device is convenient to finish something. My point being...I mess up a lot of notes myself! 

But thinking back to the times I was vaguely aware of exactly how this might have occurred...I think robert7 has nailed it. I'm constantly updating Evernote, or adding it to a new or newly restored device, and I think that this has always been during an initial sync...if that helps anyone. So going forward it might be a good idea to let the initial sync complete before adding a lot of new content. One way to tell it's done is if the busy circle in the upper left corner is gone. If you're downloading all notes for offline use then there are green lines under notebooks which haven't finished downloading yet in Stacks - Notebook view

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I am having the same problem . and I'm a premium user. I have had a note randomly overlayed with another note in the body of the content. I am not sure how many times this has happened, but I think I concur with the comments above, as on thinking about it, I did something new yesterday, checking out how notes looked on my iPhone and changing the list options - perhaps this has impacted the way things have been synced.  I have Evernote set that it only syncs on my MacBook (downloaded Evernote app) on request, as I have teenage kids who complain about the Ping??

This is a real problem for me as I am using Evernote as my notebook for study, and I really can't afford to lose my notes!  I also don't want to be duplicating the notes in say word! 

I can't find the content from the note that I have lost anywhere in Evernote.  I have worked on both these notes recently, with the one that is visible being worked on in past month I think, and the wk1a Mod 2 being worked on in past couple of weeks (could have been yesterday if I tweaked something).  I really want both these notes, and would love to know that Evernote continues to be reliable, as I can not afford random losses, especially when I might not be aware of it to follow it up!

• Ex Employees

@bettim1993 We're working on getting this issue addressed as soon as we can (we corrected part of it in 8.2.1, but it appears there are multiple root causes, so an additional fix will be needed). In the meantime, I'll reach out via email to see if we can help you get that content back.

Hi Annah, I was just reading through this stream again, and noted EdH's comment about history is your friend in evernote premium.  I have just gone through the history, and have found my note!  so good!!!

thanks

bettim1993

This bug is really annoying. It's the third time it is happening now over the last couple of months.

Some notes are mixed together.

Other notes have all formatting removed.

I use version the newest version, iPad Air 2, version 8.2.1 on iOS 10.

I have premium, is there any way to revert them on my Mac or Android phone? These issues are iOS only it looks like.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Oyvkva said:

I have premium, is there any way to revert them on my Mac or Android phone?

Yes, corrupted notes are really annoying and have hit me a few times

As premium user, you have access to Note History and can restore a note to previous versions

These screenshots are from my Mac

591caa5b002c1_ScreenShot2017-05-17at12_52_50PM.png.18e6d701577afea8d0d92e302764a0a4.png     591caa5ecb19f_ScreenShot2017-05-17at12_53_07PM.png.62b57063b75be10c5c4d40c28ac5fec6.png

That works, thanks! It's a lot of work having to do this with several notes being mixed up however.

@annahAny estimate on when you will release an update that takes care of this? The May 1. update does not fix it.

• 1 month later...

This has happened to me several times as well in the past couple months. Most recently yesterday (7/9). Yesterday's event occurred when clipping a web article from Chrome, which ruined a random, recent note. 

Have been able to restore data w/ note history.

Currently running v8.2.2353110.

I am also having this problem. The first time it happened, a couple of weeks ago, I thought it was just a glitch. Now I'm experiencing it again - and a very important note is missing. Has a solution been found? I am a Plus user...

I really wonder why Evernote is not able to fix important bug like this since so log time.
To me it happened again once short time ago.

I wonder if there is any development done in Evernote at all - except from fancy useless functions most users don't even notice (and chat and presentation mode). What you don't concentrate on "core business" "note taking"... Why there is no relevance search, why there is not usable client on linux, web app compared to full client ist second grade, ... etc, etc?

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced this bug also in the past few months. Loosing important data is a serious problem. I've used Evernote for many years as a Plus user and never seen anything like this.

Just happened to me with a note on my iPad yesterday. I fixed it easily enough by recovering an earlier version of the note from history, but it's annoying. Plus my bigger fear is how many other notes are affected, and I just don't notice. This is at least the second time it's happened to me.

App version and iOS version all up to date as of late July 2017.

This happens to me from time to time.

Notes sometimes are not displayed correctly on iOS. To get those fixed I have to reinstall the application. However, those notes are displayed correctly on desktop.

IMG_0220.PNG

Desktop 1.JPG

I just got another one of these, it was happening before and it just happened yesterday. I really do not want to have to perform regular audits of things I save to Evernote to make sure they are correct.

Same thing continues with my Evernote account.  I've been trying other services.  Such a shame.  I've been with Evernote from the very start, have always been a premium user - happy to pay for what USED to be an excellent product...but I can't use something that continues to mess up ALOT my notes on a REGULAR basis.  I've been working directly with all levels of Evernote support but they keep telling me they still can't figure out whats wrong.  ? since February? The only fix is to manually go in and pull the previous history? This is not a smooth workflow for something I have to pay for.  Just wanted to let others know I have had the same experience.  

Ominee - Unfortunately you can't do it from iOS -  I'd contact support and see if they have a workaround.  I tried logging onto the web version to see if that would help you.  - Unfortunately the only way to retrieve them even from the web version is it sends it to your computer downloads to get the notes back into Evernote.  So in this way you still need a computer to do make this happen.  Maybe support has a workaround for iPad/ios

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the same problem, although I only just noticed it because I only just opened a note that I last used in June, to find that the content had been overwritten by a completely unrelated note.  How can I get the content back??

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Pete_K said:

How can I get the content back??

I believe the bug has been corrected with the 8.3 version

My solution for recovering lost data is to restore from backups.  
I have personal backups, and Evernote has a Note History backup feature

Access to Note History data is a paid account feature, but you can subscribe for a single month

32 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My solution for recovering lost data is to restore from backups.  
I have personal backups, and Evernote has a Note History backup feature

Access to Note History data is a paid account feature, but you can subscribe for a single month

Thanks @DTLow - that would work, although I'm already a Plus subscriber (for now...) and I'm not about to pay even more to Evernote to retrieve content that their bug has lost!!

• 2 months later...

I am having the same issues. On my iPhone app, I am having the entire content of notes be randomly replaced with the content of another note. Luckily, the original content was there when I logged in on my computer. This has now happened on multiple occasions. The first few times, I lost the content entirely. Has anyone found a solution? This is a major problem if I am losing entire notes with no explanation.

• Level 5*
On 2017-11-01 at 11:33 AM, nedreyn said:

Has anyone found a solution?

I haven't seen the note corruption with the latest versions.  You might want to upgrade your software

• 3 months later...

That's terrible.

I got same issue several times with the latest Windows client. I just lost my big note that I modifient and added content within a few years!

And yes, Evernote, I'm not a premium user. Everything is lost? Or what? That's terrible product. Gmail for example is a free product as well, but it at least don't lost my emails...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, victor_victor said:

And yes, Evernote, I'm not a premium user. Everything is lost? Or what?

This is an old discussion about an IOS bug in one of the versions.
This was fixed in subsequent versions
I don't know what's happening in the Windows version

My recovery method is to restore notes from backups
I have personal backups, and Evernote has a Note History backup
Access to the Note History data is a paid feature, but you can subscribe for a single month

Happened in windows version today for the first time: several times I found a note with content replaced with another's note; at first, I thought it was a mistake I made somehow, but now I'm afraid of using evernote again, I've lost important data several times!

Version 6.8.7.6387, I'm a Plus User

To me happens from time to time, that I search for some note on iPhone (iOS 10) and I find that note with original name, but content replaced by content from other note. 
I hat this issue at least 10 times at different occassions with different notes.
Then its no way to get to the note content from iOS (not from the app, not via mobile  browser).
If I then login on Desktop (web app), the note has correct content. Now when I modify the note on Desktop, its resynced back to iOS now with correct content. But I found no way to resync the note from iOS only without Desktop access.

But when I'm out, without access without to desktop relying on Evernote iOS app .. I have no possibility to get to note content.

This makes Evernote very unreliable... its a shame that after one year so grave problem is still not fully fixed. If I'm without access to desktop, I can never be sure if I will find content of particular note via mobile app only even if they are correctly stored in the cloud.

The explanation "appears there are multiple root causes" .... "we will fix" is already repeated for one year !!!

On 8/29/2017 at 4:53 PM, DTLow said:

On 2/6/2018 at 10:48 PM, DTLow said:

This is an old discussion about an IOS bug in one of the versions.
This was fixed in subsequent versions

Yes its a old discussion (1 year) but it is still NOT FULLY FIXED.

I have newest Evernote iOS app (8.9 on iOS 10) and I still have problems with notes mixing up contents!

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, victor_victor said:

I used this one https://github.com/exomut/evernote-dump

It converted your enex backup to md files. The only thing what you have to create folders and subfolders and put there all you md notes the way how it was in evernote (notebooks/categories).

Thanks

I'd actually import the md file back to Evernote and store as an attachment to a note.
If not using the Evernote editor, I use a .html editor (Textastic).  I'm sure using a md editor will be easier

Archived